Author Topic: Rate the last movie you've seen  (Read 1537575 times)

Offline Plugabugz

• *continues waiting*
  • Score: 10
    • View Profile
Re: Rate the last movie you've seen
« Reply #5025 on: May 18, 2015, 03:12:57 AM »
Mad Max Fury Road, or its alternate title: How to try and fail at making Charlize Theron look ugly.

Offline ThePerm

• predicted it first.
  • Score: 64
    • View Profile
« Reply #5026 on: May 21, 2015, 01:48:37 AM »
Mad Max: Fury Road.   Visual: 10 Story: 6 Action: 9 Weirdness: 11 Overall Movie : 8.5.

Max is the least interesting character in the movie. The action is great, I love the visuals. Something didn't entertain me. It could be I'm starting to prefer a giant tv over a theater screen. Charlize Theron's character was great. If you cut max out of the movie and call it Fury Road then there would be no points lost. The lack of Australian accents did take it down a notch. From all indications there will be a  Mad Max: Wastelands.  Sounds good. Maybe this one will be better from all indications Hardy sounds like he was being a difficult actor. He said he had to apologize to Miller.

I'm still tempted to make a Mad Max/Escape from new york parody movie. I have the costumes.
http://imgur.com/a/5Wsau#4
« Last Edit: May 21, 2015, 01:50:57 AM by ThePerm »
NWR has permission to use any tentative mockup/artwork I post

Offline broodwars

• Hunting for a Pineapple Salad
  • Score: -1011
    • View Profile
« Reply #5027 on: May 21, 2015, 11:34:33 PM »
I saw Tomorrowland earlier this evening, and it's both amusing and sad that a movie who's very message is that the world is being destroyed by cynicism and apathy has internet critics practically tripping over themselves to condemn it. Yes, it's a movie hopelessly obsessed with optimism and what could be achieved if anyone gave a damn. That's kind of the point.

Overall, I really enjoyed the movie. It's by no means a perfect film. There's way more of an action movie bent to it than I felt was necessary or justified and the movie really drops the ball on what appear to be the central villains for most of the film (the evil AAs). After a certain part of the movie, they just completely vanish from the movie, and aside from a throwaway line I completely missed until my best friend pointed it out they don't even explain why the AAs were there.  That one, huge plot point aside, I felt the action was excellent; the comic timing superb; and the film's earnest sincerity really spoke to me. Also, the performances were excellent all around. I particularly enjoyed the goofy acting of the AAs, which straddles a very thin line between being utterly ridiculous and strangely endearing. And the relationship between George Clooney & the Athena character was very well-executed.

To me, this movie reminds me a lot of how I felt coming out of the Muppet movie reboot from a few years ago: it's not a masterpiece of filmmaking. Its parts don't come together flawlessly, but its message about optimism; hope; and effort saving the world by reminding everyone that we once thought it was possible was very endearing. The world may suck, but it doesn't have to. It's the same "heart on your sleeve" optimism that really made me love shows like Quantum Leap.

So yeah, I hope that audiences are more open-minded about this film than the critics were.
« Last Edit: May 21, 2015, 11:36:15 PM by broodwars »
There was a Signature here. It's gone now.

Offline BranDonk Kong

• Eat your f'ing cat!
  • Score: 10131
    • View Profile
« Reply #5028 on: May 25, 2015, 02:10:59 AM »
I pretty much agree with ThePerm's review of Mad Max: Fury Road, maybe I'd give it a little higher on the story scale though. There is a story there, they just kind of ignore it and it's basically non-stop action from beginning to end. If you have any thought of seeing it, do.
I think it says on the box, 'No Hispanics' " - Jeff Green of EA

Offline ThePerm

• predicted it first.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5029 on: May 25, 2015, 10:05:32 PM »
im pretty sure if i hadn't seen the others i would think it was better. It is better in a lot of way than say road warrior.
If I were to do a rating scale. It would be Road Warrior > Fury Road  ==  Mad Max > Thunderdome.  Keep in mind I'm one of the people who liked Thunderdome.

Online Khushrenada

• is an Untrustworthy Liar
  • NWR Junior Ranger
  • Score: 38
    • View Profile
« Reply #5030 on: May 26, 2015, 12:37:05 AM »
I've never seen any Mad Max movie before. I'm still on the fence about checking out Fury Road.

Right now, of movies in theatres, the movies I'd like to see in order of preference are:

Far from the Madding Crowd
Pitch Perfect 2
Ex Machina
Tomorrowland
Fury Road

Looking ahead, aside from some mild interest for Love & Mercy, a Brian Wilson bio-pic, the only movies I have major interest for in June are Jurassic World and Inside Out.

Anyways, why am I bringing this up? Not sure. Guess I'm just wondering if anyone has seen much of the movies I'm interested in and if they had any strong recommendations about them.
Whoever said, "Cheaters never win" must've never met Khushrenada.

Offline BranDonk Kong

• Eat your f'ing cat!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5031 on: June 14, 2015, 09:57:45 AM »
Jurassic World - 7.5/10

Am I seriously the first person from here to review this movie? Really the biggest problem with this movie is the script, there's is just some terrible dialog and one liners throughout that hurt the fear that you're supposed to be experiencing. The CGI is greatly improved since the original trailer release, and as should be expected, is the most realistic looking Jurassic Park movie (also thanks to some good practical effects). The story is pretty good, but the script hurts its' execution. It should have opened more like the first movie to explain the motives of the "bad guys" instead of doing it the way that they did. They do address the appearance of the dinosaurs (applying to all of the movies) and why they never looked exactly like their real ancestors, which is nice, but almost fourth wall-breaking when you consider they were probably doing it in response to past criticism. Anyway, I still recommend everyone who's a fan of summer blockbuster movies or any Jurassic Park films. It's easily the second best (after the original). I don't think anyone saw the ending coming, just like no one saw the ending to the original coming.

Offline Shorty McNostril

• Blue text is gone :(
  • Score: 4
    • View Profile
« Reply #5032 on: June 14, 2015, 05:44:27 PM »
I saw that ending coming haha. 

I enjoyed it.  Was bummed there was no Ian Malcolm cameo.  I do like Jeffrey Goldblum.  The whole movie was pretty much what it says on the box.  If you enjoy dinosaurs you'll like it. 

Not a kiddie movie though, so I wouldn't be taking littlies to see it.  Lots of death and one surprisingly brutal death too.

Also, I may getting soft (which is quite likely) but a couple of scenes made me feel geniunely emotional.  The apatosaurus/brontosaurus scene and when the fliers were attacking the poor little protoceratops and others in the pen.  I do hope the little guys were ok. :(

Offline nickmitch

• You can edit these yourself now?!
  • Score: 82
    • View Profile
    • FACEBOOK!
« Reply #5033 on: June 14, 2015, 06:34:34 PM »
Saw the Entourage movie today.

How much you like this movie basically depends on how much you liked the show.  If you're there for tits and Ari, you won't be disappointed.

Score Pending/10
TVman is dead. I killed him and took his posts.

Offline BranDonk Kong

• Eat your f'ing cat!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5034 on: June 20, 2015, 05:48:47 PM »
Inside Out - 9/10...wait, what?!

I have kids. I had literally no interest in seeing this movie beforehand, and it ended up being one of the best Pixar movies I've ever seen. I'd put it up with Wall-E, and Up (above any Toy Story or Cars). Finally an original movie (at least unlike any I've seen). The short before it, Lava, was great too.

Offline UncleBob

• (PATRON)
  • NWR Junior Ranger
  • Score: 98
    • View Profile
« Reply #5035 on: June 20, 2015, 07:22:36 PM »
Better or worse than Herman's Head?
Just some random guy on the internet who has a different opinion of games than you.

Offline BranDonk Kong

• Eat your f'ing cat!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5036 on: June 20, 2015, 08:40:57 PM »
Holy crap I totally forgot about that show! Nevermind, it's a rip-off of Herman's Head.

Offline azeke

• He's ruining Splatfest for the rest of us
  • Score: 11
    • View Profile
« Reply #5037 on: June 20, 2015, 10:44:18 PM »
Inside Out is a weird movie.

It's still classic Pixar don't get me wrong, but i think previous flicks had a better balance between being a great movie for adult and and entertaining flick for kids.

This one i think goes a bit too much into adults territory with subjects and concepts that children simply don't know about. There IS some slapstick, but i don't think it was enough to dispel boredom from kids.

There is even Roman Polanski reference.
Winners don't hate and W101 rocks

Offline BranDonk Kong

• Eat your f'ing cat!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5038 on: June 20, 2015, 11:22:41 PM »
I think that's why I liked it so much.

Offline Fatty The Hutt

• Zut alors!
  • Score: 34
    • View Profile
« Reply #5039 on: June 26, 2015, 06:30:39 PM »
Inside Out - 9/10...wait, what?!

I have kids. I had literally no interest in seeing this movie beforehand, and it ended up being one of the best Pixar movies I've ever seen. I'd put it up with Wall-E, and Up (above any Toy Story or Cars). Finally an original movie (at least unlike any I've seen). The short before it, Lava, was great too.
Yes to all of this.
And, hoo boy, bring some hankies. This one is a festival of "the feels" as the kids say. I was most unmanly many a time during the proceedings. Well worth your time.
Oui, Mon Gars!

Online Khushrenada

• is an Untrustworthy Liar
  • NWR Junior Ranger
  • Score: 38
    • View Profile
« Reply #5040 on: June 26, 2015, 06:44:18 PM »
Yep. Inside Out is right now the best movie of the year for me. I can't recall the last time I cried at a movie. (And so much too!  :-[ ) Best Pixar since Wall-E for me.

Finally will get to see Jurassic World tomorrow. Never make plans to see a movie with someone. Waiting for you and them to be free can be insufferable.
Whoever said, "Cheaters never win" must've never met Khushrenada.

Offline nickmitch

• View Profile
    • FACEBOOK!
« Reply #5041 on: June 26, 2015, 08:08:51 PM »
Dope

Has no one else seen this movie?  I really liked it.  I found the protagonists immediately likeable and relatable.  The soundtrack is amazing, and well used in many parts of the film.  Some plotlines kind of fall off, and there are a few more things that keep it from being perfect.  It's not as quotable as some classic comedies (or maybe it's me), but the laughs are pretty genuine.  I left the theatre feeling really good about this one, like it would really stick with me.

8.5/10

Offline ThePerm

• predicted it first.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5042 on: June 26, 2015, 08:30:01 PM »
The trailer looks good. I was waiting for it to be time for studios to start making retro 90s flicks. It has begin.

Offline nickmitch

• View Profile
    • FACEBOOK!
« Reply #5043 on: June 26, 2015, 08:34:13 PM »
The movie is actually set in modern day (plot point kinda revolves around it).  The kids are just obsessed with 90s culture.

It's not like Take Me Home Tonight with Topher Grace where that was a total 80s movie (plot, style, setting) that was released in 2011.

Offline BranDonk Kong

• Eat your f'ing cat!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5044 on: June 27, 2015, 10:06:32 PM »
San Andreas - 7.5/10
Surprisingly well acted, and insanse special effects. A bit unrealistic with how The Rock saves his family...though I guess his experiences and teachings helped his family survive, but they actually give everyone in the movie enough to make you actually care about them. It's worth a watch. Oh, and good lord is Alexandra Daddario hot.

Offline ThePerm

• predicted it first.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5045 on: June 28, 2015, 03:40:05 AM »
She is...the swimming :)

Offline nickmitch

• View Profile
    • FACEBOOK!
« Reply #5046 on: June 28, 2015, 04:25:51 PM »
Jurassic World (IMAX 3D)

It was what I needed it to be.  Would've been nice to take a shot for every product placement.  Effects were good.  Some lines are cheesy, but I'm not sure if they're supposed to be funny.  Either way, there was a good amount of laughs.

8/10

Offline ShyGuy

• Fight Me!
  • Score: -9660
    • View Profile
« Reply #5047 on: June 29, 2015, 02:42:43 AM »
The Apartment This is not a romantic comedy. Well, maybe it is, but it is one of the bleakest you will find. It's look at office culture and amoral adults in the city is timeless. Jack Lemmon is perfect, Shirley Maclaine's character is very nuanced and complex. Fred MacMurray is both believable and horrid. Billy Wilder was a master film maker. Four Stars.

Offline Plugabugz

• *continues waiting*
  • Score: 10
    • View Profile
« Reply #5048 on: June 29, 2015, 02:46:24 AM »
Mr Holmes

Ian Mckellen as a retired and lonely Sherlock Holmes having exiled himself after a failed final case. It's not out in america until July but if you like Sherlock (the BBC series) or Elementary then its worth a watch to see this significantly slower paced version. Mckellen's version makes him look so calmly confident (when he was in his prime) compared to the hyper Cumberbatch version which is so refreshing. Definitely a short movie worth watching.

Dope

Has no one else seen this movie?  I really liked it.  I found the protagonists immediately likeable and relatable.  The soundtrack is amazing, and well used in many parts of the film.  Some plotlines kind of fall off, and there are a few more things that keep it from being perfect.  It's not as quotable as some classic comedies (or maybe it's me), but the laughs are pretty genuine.  I left the theatre feeling really good about this one, like it would really stick with me.

8.5/10

It's not here.

Jurassic World (IMAX 3D)

It was what I needed it to be.  Would've been nice to take a shot for every product placement.  Effects were good.  Some lines are cheesy, but I'm not sure if they're supposed to be funny.  Either way, there was a good amount of laughs.

8/10

The product placement was so bad it actually made its way into the script disguised as humour What if the marketers named the dinosaurs? Verizon Presents the (whatever the dinosaur name was)?
« Last Edit: June 29, 2015, 02:54:50 AM by Plugabugz »

Offline Fatty The Hutt

• Zut alors!
  • Score: 34
    • View Profile
« Reply #5049 on: June 29, 2015, 12:33:47 PM »
The Apartment This is not a romantic comedy. Well, maybe it is, but it is one of the bleakest you will find. It's look at office culture and amoral adults in the city is timeless. Jack Lemmon is perfect, Shirley Maclaine's character is very nuanced and complex. Fred MacMurray is both believable and horrid. Billy Wilder was a master film maker. Four Stars.
Yes!
My fave Billy Wilder is still Sunset Boulevard (so dark) but The Apartment is gold.
Oui, Mon Gars!