Author Topic: Rate the last movie you've seen  (Read 1545733 times)

Offline Stogi

• The Stratos You Should All Try To Be Like
  • Score: 18
    • View Profile
Re: Rate the last movie you've seen
« Reply #4950 on: January 15, 2015, 02:30:06 PM »
John Wick

6/10

Apart from some cool set pieces this is a run-of-the-mill story about a retired gangster who is flung back into the life he escaped. I think my main problem is how quickly the main character (or John) returns to his past life. The setup is there but it's brash, sloppy and lends no weight morally to the rest of the movie. So instead of rooting for him to succeed, you're just watching him succeed.

There are some cool concepts. One of the best characters isn't even a person but a hotel. And while cool, it's a problem in comparison to the characters.

One scene of this movie tells the problem with the entire movie, and that's when they are discussing who John Wick was. That story was far more interesting and could have made a better movie than we we were given.

Check it out at your leisure for some cool scenes and concepts, but if you're not an action buff, don't be afraid to simply ignore it.
black fairy tales are better at sports

Offline Plugabugz

• *continues waiting*
  • Score: 10
    • View Profile
« Reply #4951 on: January 16, 2015, 08:10:10 AM »
No one completely forgot about it but it goes "forgotten" because that was the movies intention. His character makes no sense and is unnecessary and the movie knows it. It would have flowed much better without him there.

Thinking about it, he only had a purpose for the video tapes he recorded to send to Endurance, because if he didn't Coop wouldn't have got anything at all - past that it didnt matter his kids were sick and dying.

Offline oohhboy

• Forum Friend or Foe?
  • Score: 38
    • View Profile
« Reply #4952 on: January 17, 2015, 01:25:33 AM »
John Wick

I really like how all the action is framed and shot. It doesn't try to melt your face off with shaking, speed up or stupid quick cuts. Comparatively low key, no exploding cars, a simple plot that boarders on excuse plot that opens up to some dark comedy.

John never really truly got out in his own mind. He still practices driving at airport regularly. He is still "friends" with the local cops. He still remembers the cleaners number. I don't think morality has much of a place in this movie, its more about professionalism and civility. The professionalism really comes through with just how lethally clean it is with the constant headshot finishers and the lack of collateral damage.

I agree with you though, the Hotel is great and it is a reflection of the great writing tone wise.

The only thing that is just straight up wrong was them showing the ending in the opening. It really killed the tension. The correct way to do something like that was to copy hat Richard Donner did in 13 Blocks where he fakes you out by showing you what you think the ending is.

For an action aficionado it would rate it a 8/10 just because how well shot action is just so rare these days. If you're not an action fan then there isn't much for you. There is no deeper meaning here, no moral question to be answered, just lots of people getting killed.

Taken 3

Better than 2 which was just embarrassing. Got some alright action and some good quips with that trademarked gravitas. Plot far too complex for its own good but good opening setup. Liam Nesson kills people and has a funny old man jog. Poisons own daughter Nesson is also a bit of a lair.

6/10
I'm Lacus. I'm fine as Lacus!
Pffh. Toilet paper? What do you think cats are for?

Offline BranDonk Kong

• Eat your f'ing cat!
  • Score: 10131
    • View Profile
« Reply #4953 on: January 17, 2015, 11:16:58 AM »
Taken 2 was awesome, so Taken 3 must be perfect. Anyway...

Gone Girl - everything before the ending - 9/10

Though I do kind of like the ending thinking back on it (who know what will happen down the road when the Feds have taken over), but justice should have been served.
I think it says on the box, 'No Hispanics' " - Jeff Green of EA

Offline ObbyDent

• Too reasonable for this forum
  • Score: 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #4954 on: January 18, 2015, 03:50:40 PM »
Taken 2 was awesome, so Taken 3 must be perfect. Anyway...

Gone Girl - everything before the ending - 9/10

Though I do kind of like the ending thinking back on it (who know what will happen down the road when the Feds have taken over), but justice should have been served.

Personally, I don't think justice should have been served for it be a better movie. In fact, it being a completely happy ending where Rosamund Pike gets her just desserts wouldn't fit the rest of the movie. She was never going to be caught in the way the audience wanted.

Offline nickmitch

• You can edit these yourself now?!
  • Score: 82
    • View Profile
    • FACEBOOK!
« Reply #4955 on: January 18, 2015, 05:36:31 PM »
Selma - 9/10

Great bio pic.  I'm glad the film didn't shy away from King's affairs or insecurities and other flaws.  Also, great casting done here.  Seeing the girl from Dear White People was nice, though most side characters don't have "big roles".

American Sniper - 9/10

Bradley Cooper was incredible.  The movie does a good job of not being jingoistic, even if the main character kind of is.  After the first money shot, the movie doesn't really make you wait too much for the next one, so it never really felt "tense" to me.  Sienna Miller may be built like a 2x4, but her acting certainly wasn't flat.
TVman is dead. I killed him and took his posts.

Offline Khushrenada

• is an Untrustworthy Liar
  • NWR Junior Ranger
    • View Profile
« Reply #4956 on: January 19, 2015, 01:33:09 AM »
Selma - 9/10

Great bio pic.  I'm glad the film didn't shy away from King's affairs or insecurities and other flaws.  Also, great casting done here.  Seeing the girl from Dear White People was nice, though most side characters don't have "big roles".

American Sniper - 9/10

Bradley Cooper was incredible.  The movie does a good job of not being jingoistic, even if the main character kind of is.  After the first money shot, the movie doesn't really make you wait too much for the next one, so it never really felt "tense" to me.  Sienna Miller may be built like a 2x4, but her acting certainly wasn't flat.

Looks like someone is catching up on their Oscar Best Picture Nominations.

I agree with you about Selma. The only film I haven't seen yet of the Best Picture nominees is American Sniper. It just opened in theatres in my area this weekend so I'll check it out this Tuesday. I'll admit that of all the nominees its the one I've been least interested in so your review is quite encouraging and maybe I'll have a better time at it than expected.
Whoever said, "Cheaters never win" must've never met Khushrenada.

Offline Stogi

• View Profile
« Reply #4957 on: January 19, 2015, 09:53:50 AM »
Birdman

Surprisingly hilarious. I know it is labeled as a comedy but I didn't think I'd laugh as much as I did. The characters are great, the directing is among the best I've ever seen, and I really liked how the entire movie took place in one city block.

However the plot doesn't appeal to me. Maybe because I cannot relate to it, but a washed-up actor is less interesting than say a disgraced doctor or washed-up athlete. I'm sure actors have a tough life, but after making it big, you're famous for your best work. There's still power there (as exemplified by the movie), so it all sounds a bit pretentious and condescending. But to the film's credit, it does mention these very subjects in a hope to show you how difficult it really is, and I applaud them for that, but I just didn't agree.

To me, it looked like a bunch of narcissistic, border-line sociopathic characters trying to accomplish something. And in that way, I still found it incredibly entertaining. But did I find it endearing? Not really. That said, Michael Keaton did a fantastic job. Actually the entire cast acted incredibly.

This is definitely a movie you should check out, even if it is a little heavy-handed from time to time.

8/10

Offline Nile Boogie Returns

• Tropical Freeze
  • Score: 14
    • View Profile
« Reply #4958 on: January 19, 2015, 10:19:57 PM »
John Wick:

It was as if Platinum Games directed a movie. It's up there with The Raid. I mean it's awesome, like really really awesome. The gunplay is some of the best I've ever seen and he plays no games when it comes to making sure you're dead. 9/10.

Offline oohhboy

• Forum Friend or Foe?
    • View Profile
« Reply #4959 on: January 20, 2015, 09:24:36 AM »
I little something about John Wick

• Tropical Freeze
    • View Profile
« Reply #4960 on: January 20, 2015, 10:45:08 AM »
I little something about John Wick

The defining moment of the character! It just shows so much that he waits to reload and finish the job. So damed good!

Offline Stogi

• View Profile
« Reply #4961 on: January 20, 2015, 03:56:32 PM »
Yeah, that part was great. It's actually the best part of the movie and you should probably spoiler tag it (can you spoiler tag images?).

But even as an action movie, it's pretty boring. You don't need much plot for an action movie. Just look at Taken. But you do need a solid motivation, and this one is based on something that is pretty irrational. That's what they were going for, I know, but even the character who starts the motivation makes that very point, and it's actually pretty funny in a meta sort of way, though it shines a bright light at the ridiculousness of it all.

If it was suppose to be tongue-in-cheek, I must have missed it.

Offline oohhboy

• Forum Friend or Foe?
    • View Profile
« Reply #4962 on: January 20, 2015, 06:19:00 PM »
You're looking into it too much. But if you must, Wick's motivation is some punks remove his last shred of humanity and he has the skills to do something about it? Sure I would go on a revenge rampage against the Russian mob. The simple plot lets you focus on the action. There is no side romance side plot, just Wick and his cold efficiency.

• Tropical Freeze
    • View Profile
« Reply #4963 on: January 20, 2015, 09:41:00 PM »
 "People keep asking if I'm back and I haven't really had an answer but now.. yeah, I'm thinking I'm back!"

It's by no means a iconic but for some reason I really love that line. Ok, I think I'm done gushing over this movie.

« Reply #4964 on: January 24, 2015, 06:23:41 PM »
I just watched Lucy, that was an odd experience, I can't even call it a movie.
Trying to be a better person, honest.

Offline Shaymin

• Not my circus, not my monkeys
  • NWR Staff
  • Score: 70
    • View Profile
    • You're on it
« Reply #4965 on: January 24, 2015, 06:42:00 PM »
The Interview

Wait, a 60 year armistice nearly died for this?
Donald Theriault - News Editor, Nintendo World Report / 2016 Nintendo World Champion
Tutorial box out.

• Tropical Freeze
    • View Profile
« Reply #4966 on: January 25, 2015, 01:25:37 AM »
I just watched Lucy, that was an odd experience, I can't even call it a movie.

That was one of the dumbest movies I've ever seen, and I like almost everything.

« Reply #4967 on: January 25, 2015, 10:43:06 AM »
Also just saw the Interview on Netflix. It was not what I expected. There was like nothing funny about it.

• Tropical Freeze
    • View Profile
« Reply #4968 on: January 25, 2015, 10:34:54 PM »
It's on Netflix already? This is the strangest release of any movie in history!

« Reply #4969 on: January 25, 2015, 11:10:37 PM »
It's on Netflix already? This is the strangest release of any movie in history!

It is worth the watch just to see what all the hype was about, yeah North Korea had a legit reason to hate this film. And there is a really cool scene with rapper Eminem early on, but the rest of the movie is bottom feeder toilet humor at its worst. It makes Kevin Smith movies look actually intelligent.

Offline ShyGuy

• Fight Me!
  • Score: -9660
    • View Profile
« Reply #4970 on: January 26, 2015, 12:00:47 AM »
I finally watched Robocop last night. I rate it a classic out of four stars You can really see where this film defined a lot of action tropes and urban dystopia for decades to come.

Offline Plugabugz

• *continues waiting*
  • Score: 10
    • View Profile
« Reply #4971 on: January 26, 2015, 02:49:26 AM »
I finally watched Robocop last night. I rate it a classic out of four stars You can really see where this film defined a lot of action tropes and urban dystopia for decades to come.

I assuming you mean the original and not the 2014 reboot?

Offline oohhboy

• Forum Friend or Foe?
    • View Profile
« Reply #4972 on: January 26, 2015, 03:45:04 AM »
Bitches Leave.

• Tropical Freeze
    • View Profile
« Reply #4973 on: January 26, 2015, 09:06:56 AM »
Could you believe I was allowed to see RoboCop in the movies back in 1987? I was 9 years old. Sex, drugs that scene where the guy is drowned in acid and exploded on a Ford? 80's violence was such awesome, plus I don't think my moms knew what was happening in this film.

As a child, I retcon
RoboCop to be the origin story of the first Terminator movie. Basically, OCP becomes Cyberdyne Systems and RoboCop is design the t 100 is based off. Hell, I still thinks this works today and would solve the "closed loop" theory in the now completely screwed up Terminator Timeline. Then I found out that this partly the story of they 1992 Dark Horse Comic, my reality and dreams are one.

"I'd buy that for a dollar"
« Last Edit: January 26, 2015, 09:23:30 AM by Nile Boogie Returns »

« Reply #4974 on: January 26, 2015, 09:48:03 AM »
I used to the same thing, but I took it a step further and had Star Wars as the origin for the Transformers too.