Author Topic: 360 Outsells Wii for the Month of September  (Read 4245 times)

Offline Halbred

• Staff Paleontologist, Ruiner of Worlds
  • NWR Staff
  • Score: 17
    • View Profile
    • When Pigs Fly Returns
360 Outsells Wii for the Month of September
« on: October 21, 2007, 08:25:18 AM »
Halo 3 tore up the charts, moving a lot of hardware with it.
 http://www.nintendoworldreport.com/newsArt.cfm?artid=14650

In what must be a milestone event for Microsoft, the Xbox 360 edged out the Nintendo Wii by around 30,000 units this week. In terms of pure numbers, the Wii sold 501,000  units, while the 360 clocked in at just under 528,000. The DS came in third place, at 495,800, and the PSP continues to lead Sony sales, at 284,500 units sold. The PS2 is still a juggernaut, enticing some 215,000 people, while the PS3 continues to lag, selling a mere 119,400 units. Surprisingly, the Game Boy Advance is chugging right along, selling 75,000 units this week.    

Halo 3 is still dominating the software scene, having sold an amazing 3.3 million units by this week, while Wii Play has raked in 282,000 buyers, continuing to sell well months after its release. Phantom Hourglass has managed to sell 224,000 units in just a few weeks, and Metroid Prime 3 managed to sell 167,000 in its first full month since its release.

This would be my PSN Trophy Card, but I guess I can't post HTML in my Signature. I'm the pixel spaceship, and I have nine Gold trophies.

Offline vudu

• You'd probably all be better off if I really were dead.
  • NWR Junior Ranger
  • Score: -19
    • View Profile
RE: 360 Outsells Wii for the Month of September
« Reply #1 on: October 21, 2007, 08:38:45 AM »
528,000:  360
501,000:  Wii
495,800:  DS
284,500:  PSP
215,000:  PS2
119,400:  PS3
75,000:  GBA

the PS3 continues to lag, selling a mere 119,400 thousand units
Why must all things be so bright? Why can things not appear only in hues of brown! I am so serious about this! Dull colors are the future! The next generation! I will never accept a world with such bright colors! It is far too childish! I will rage against your cheery palette with my last breath!

Offline IceCold

• I love you Vanilla Ice!
  • Score: 2
    • View Profile
RE:360 Outsells Wii for the Month of September
« Reply #2 on: October 21, 2007, 08:45:12 AM »
Whoa, 120 million consoles? That's incredible.
"I used to sell furniture for a living. The trouble was, it was my own."
---------------------------------------------
"If your parents never had children, chances are you won't either."
----------------------------
"If it weren't for electricity we'd all be watching television by the candlelig

Offline UncleBob

• (PATRON)
  • NWR Junior Ranger
  • Score: 98
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 21, 2007, 08:52:38 AM »
I bet the 120 Million people who bought one before the price drop are mad...

Anywhoo, 360 had Halo 3 and Wii had... DK Barrel Blast?
Just some random guy on the internet who has a different opinion of games than you.

Offline Luigi Dude

• Truth Bomber
  • Score: 4
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 21, 2007, 09:08:36 AM »
Actually Barrel Blast came out in October.  Which means Nintendo was able to hold their own in September against Halo 3 with nothing.

Yeah it's safe to say Nintendo has won this generation now.  If the competitions biggest game can't even make a dent against Nintendo when the Wii had nothing, as soon as Mario Galaxy comes out it's all over.  All Smash Bros is going to be now is the equivalent to dropping an H-Bomb on an opponent that's that's already been completely parlayed.
I’m gonna have you play every inch of this game! - Masahiro Sakurai

Offline NWR_pap64

• You are not the boss of me
  • Score: 25
    • View Profile
    • Nintendo World Report
« Reply #5 on: October 21, 2007, 09:40:34 AM »
I'm surprised that this article doesn't mention that despite the MASSIVE Halo 3 hype and the Wii having no game at all it did amazingly well with the 360 just barely passing it by 30,000 units.

I honestly thought that the 360 would destroy everything in its path in September. The Wii has some amazing staying power.
Pedro Hernandez
NWR Staff Writer

Offline ShyGuy

• Fight Me!
  • Score: -9660
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 21, 2007, 10:13:13 AM »
Nathan Portman is right.  Wii will come back to win October then it will be insane in November and December.

Offline Mashiro

• Silent Protagonist
  • Score: 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 21, 2007, 10:13:18 AM »
/golfclap for MS

Can we just declare Nintendo the winner this gen already? Please?

Offline NinGurl69 *huggles

• HI I'M CRAZY
  • Score: 28
    • View Profile
    • Six Sided Video
« Reply #8 on: October 21, 2007, 10:27:42 AM »
It took MS this long to clear out the stock piles of 360s sitting in stores all year?
:: Six Sided Video .com ~ Pietriots.com ::
PRO IS SERIOUS. GET SERIOUS.

Offline Dirk Temporo

• Score: -1
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 21, 2007, 10:51:50 AM »
THE END OF DAYS
"You've had your dream old man. It's time to wake up!"
-Travis Touchdown

Offline DAaaMan64

• Winner of the Most Terrible Username Award
  • Score: 10
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 21, 2007, 03:51:19 PM »
I don't about you guys, but I remember thinking the GameCube still had a chance two years into it's life.  Meaning that it would have had to over take something.  The Wii hasn't even been out a year, what could over take it?

I am just saying, you guys are calling it too early.  But thats me.
FREEEEEDDDDDOOOOOMMMMMMMMMM!!!!

Marvel Heroes - Marvel Heroes
Frozen Shoe Games

Yea, though I walk through the valley of the shadow of death, I will fear no evil. For I am with me.

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• Animal Crossing Hustler
  • Score: 409
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 21, 2007, 04:07:41 PM »

Originally posted by: DAaaMan64
I don't about you guys, but I remember thinking the GameCube still had a chance two years into it's life.  Meaning that it would have had to over take something.  The Wii hasn't even been out a year, what could over take it?

I am just saying, you guys are calling it too early.  But thats me.

It is common knowledge and a general fact(just check the internets ) that the PS3 will overtake everything by 2010.
Sony sez: Next Gen doesn't start till Xmas '09

Offline Michael8983

• Score: 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 21, 2007, 05:33:48 PM »

Originally posted by: DAaaMan64
I don't about you guys, but I remember thinking the GameCube still had a chance two years into it's life.

I think after the second holiday season even Nintendo fans had to admit the Gamecube was in third place to stay.
If even Mario and Metroid couldn't change things, nothing would. Sure Zelda was on the horizon but it was too late.
If the Wii beats the 360 for the remainder of the year with Halo out of the way, it's pretty much set for first place this generation IMO.
If the PS3 sales don't miraculously increase 500% it's going to be the Gamecube of this generation if it's LUCKY. If sales don't at least double it might not even be a contendor at all.

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 21, 2007, 05:40:20 PM »

Originally posted by: Michael8983

If the PS3 sales don't miraculously increase 500% it's going to be the Gamecube of this generation if it's LUCKY. If sales don't at least double it might not even be a contendor at all.

Actually I think it will be alot closer to the Dreamcast of this generation, especially if reports of 3rd parties jumping ship are true.
It will be Sony & Konami vs MS, Nintendo and the World.

Offline that Baby guy

• He's a real Ei-Ei-Poo!
  • Score: 379
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: October 21, 2007, 05:47:27 PM »
Right, but Square's there, too.  It's like the PS3 is Gilligan, Konami is Ginger, and Square is Mary-Ann.  Or Konami is Mary-Ann and Square is Ginger.  That really doesn't matter, the point is, they're all stupid for not killing Gilligan, since he keeps on fouling up their ways to get off of the island.

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• View Profile
« Reply #15 on: October 21, 2007, 05:52:00 PM »
but then who is the Professor, and who is The Skipper?
and what about the rich couple?

Does that make Nintendo Professor, EA the Skipper, and MS is the Rich Couple that can't seem to catch a break no matter how much they spend?

Offline ThePerm

• predicted it first.
  • Score: 64
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: October 21, 2007, 06:41:15 PM »
are these just monthly sales? Whats the worldwide numbers? Totals?
NWR has permission to use any tentative mockup/artwork I post

Offline Arbok

• Toho Mikado
  • Score: 5
    • View Profile
    • Toho Kingdom
« Reply #17 on: October 21, 2007, 07:24:04 PM »

Originally posted by: ThePerm
are these just monthly sales? Whats the worldwide numbers? Totals?

If VGchartz is to be believed, Wii is still #1 worldwide with 12.4 million versus 11.8 million.
Toho Kingdom

@romero_tk

Offline UncleBob

• (PATRON)
  • NWR Junior Ranger
  • Score: 98
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: October 22, 2007, 02:11:30 AM »

Originally posted by: Michael8983
I think after the second holiday season even Nintendo fans had to admit the Gamecube was in third place to stay.

Didn't the Cube end up in second place after all?

Just some random guy on the internet who has a different opinion of games than you.

Offline Shift Key

• MISTER HAPPY-GO-LUCKY
  • Score: 9
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: October 22, 2007, 03:12:03 AM »

Originally posted by: UncleBob
Didn't the Cube end up in second place after all?

VGChartz has it at 21.59 mil, compared to 24.76 mil for the Xbox.

And I'm not even going to list the PS2 because if you don't know where that finished you need to hand in all your gaming cred immediately.

Offline ThePerm

• predicted it first.
  • Score: 64
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: October 22, 2007, 09:27:58 AM »
actually shift key, its impossible to tell with ps2, Sony has the biggest shipped numbers ever, no one knows real sales, not to mention hardware failure rate and replacement.
NWR has permission to use any tentative mockup/artwork I post

Online Ian Sane

• Champion for Urban Champion
  • Score: 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: October 22, 2007, 10:00:57 AM »
"actually shift key, its impossible to tell with ps2, Sony has the biggest shipped numbers ever, no one knows real sales, not to mention hardware failure rate and replacement."

The PS2 outsells the PS3.  The PS2 wins, even in ways that are actually bad for Sony.

The Xbox 360 outselling the Wii when Halo 3 came out is hardly news.  That was what was expected wasn't it?  Halo 3 NOT having that kind of impact would have been bigger news.

Regarding the Cube I thought it had a chance until E3 2003.  That was when we found out that Nintendo's secret "online plans" were kept a secret because the "plan" was not to go online at all.  That was also when the "main event" portion of their E3 show was connectivity's killer app: Pac-Man Vs, a game so minor that they weren't confident in selling it as a standalone product.  It was like MS knocked them down in round two and Nintendo decided that sawing their hand off was a good strategy for round three.  I knew the Cube was f*cked from then on.  Nintendo just clearly had no idea what they were doing.

The Wii will do fine and probably continue to be the market leader.  The only possible problem now is if the Wii turns out to be a fad and suddenly overnight everybody loses interest in it.  With third party support continuing to be shockingly weak then losing the interest of the mainstream would be a killer.  But if the third party improves to the level that a market leading console SHOULD HAVE then even if all the non-gamers and mainstream audience suddenly bailed, the third party support would keep the hardcores interested.  

Offline Kairon

• T_T
  • NWR Staff Pro
  • Score: 48
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: October 22, 2007, 10:06:52 AM »
Yeah, you're right Ian. Which is why I'm so happy that Nintendo refound their purpose and focus for the Wii. The thing really is Nintendo living up to its magic of old.

Carmine Red, Associate Editor

A glooming peace this morning with it brings;
The sun, for sorrow, will not show his head:
Go hence, to have more talk of these sad things;
Some shall be pardon'd, and some punished:
For never was a story of more woe
Than this of Sega and her Mashiro.

Offline BlkPaladin

• View Profile
    • Minkmultimedia
« Reply #23 on: October 22, 2007, 02:31:55 PM »
Here are some interesting articles on the PS3 and PS2.

I think if the new 40GB model and lower 80 doesn't move consoles I don't think they will be able to get exclusives from thrid parties.

Sony begging for third parties to stay.

Analysts predict basically this is the last year for strongh PS2 sales    
Stupidity is lost on my. Then again I'm almost always lost.

Offline Shift Key

• MISTER HAPPY-GO-LUCKY
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: October 22, 2007, 07:49:56 PM »

Originally posted by: ThePerm
actually shift key, its impossible to tell with ps2, Sony has the biggest shipped numbers ever, no one knows real sales, not to mention hardware failure rate and replacement.

You're telling me that you suspect PS2 didn't win last gen? I'm sure there's sales data available so back up your conspiracy with some hard data.

Personally, I could care less about the margin. The PS2 was #1 and at last count it shipped almost 5 times as many units as the Xbox sold. Unless they're forcing retailers to burying consoles in the desert, I'm sure the majority of them were sold.