Author Topic: Episode 291: Good Night, Sweet Prince  (Read 18763 times)

Offline Jonnyboy117

• Associate Editor
  • NWR Staff
  • Score: 37
    • View Profile
    • Nintendo World Report
Episode 291: Good Night, Sweet Prince
« on: May 13, 2012, 01:26:12 PM »

It's Greg's last show, but we manage to talk about Nintendo anyway.

http://www.nintendoworldreport.com/rfn/30126/episode-291-good-night-sweet-prince

Well, it's time for that episode. Despite the sad theme of Greg leaving RFN, we celebrate him and all the great times with games, memories, funny clips, and only a few tears. But first... New Business! James starts it with his decidedly mixed impressions of Resident Evil: Revelations for 3DS. Greg's next with Game & Watch Gallery 2, a belated date with Castlevania: Portrait of Ruin, and some comments on Treasure's Advance Guardian Heroes (though the impressions are actually from Lindy, who wrote the original review for NWR). Jonny reaches the absurd final track in MotoHeroz, completes a digital transition with Darksiders, and continues his journey through Xenoblade Chronicles. Jon closes it out with his own little tribute -- Radiant Silvergun on XBLA. Too bad Greg can't play it himself... or can he?

After the break, we begin the long goodbye with a pair of Listener Mails, hand-selected by Mr. Leahy as questions he really wanted to answer before he left. The first one's about our hopes for the Wii U launch lineup of games; the other one asks us to look at Nintendo's efforts to reclaim core gamers and how Metroid might fight into that strategy. As always, you can send in your own questions for the new RFN crew-to-be. And special thanks to the hundreds of you who've sent kind words for Greg over the NWR forums, email, Twitter, Facebook, NeoGAF, etc. Your words are truly inspiring.

After much stalling, we have to begin the damnable process of saying farewell to our charming Brit editor, and he to the rest of us. There are gut-wrenching moments, but we managed to pierce through the melodrama with humor whenever possible. A brilliant best-of clip edited by Guillaume certainly helps, and Greg also describes in some detail how he selected and trained his successor. But the focus here is on Greg himself, as we each take turns wrestling with our emotions and thanking each other for the amazing ride that has been the last four-and-a-half years.  And then it's over.

We'll be back next week, with Guillaume and without Greg. No one knows just what the show will become, but it will be something different, and we hope you'll come along for the ride as we move on from this magical formula and try to alchemize a new one.

THE LAMB IS WATCHING!

Offline Traveller

• NWR Staff
  • Score: 14
    • View Profile
Re: Episode 291: Good Night, Sweet Prince
« Reply #1 on: May 13, 2012, 08:35:56 PM »
Goodbye again Greg, thanks for all the episodes you worked on.

Hope you pop back again from time to time.
Nicholas Bray - Australian Correspondent

Offline Glad0s

• Score: 3
    • View Profile
    • Reagan's Music Reviews
« Reply #2 on: May 13, 2012, 08:39:08 PM »
OK, so here's my prediction as to what happens:

We soon discover that Ben Linus killed the real Guillame, and after bringing Guillame's dead body back to the island, The Spirit of Greg will then take on the form of Guillame. "Guillame" will then lead Jon and James to kill Jonny in a giant foot, after which they will find out that Guillame is actually Greg, as "Guillame" will then transform into a pillar of black smoke and kill Jonny's bodyguards.

All joking aside, I haven't listened to the episode yet. I'm looking forward to it, but...I'm kind of dreading it too. I feel like I've grown to know Greg over the years, even if I haven't actually met him. (Well, we played Mario Kart 7, but that doesn't really count.) More thoughts after I listen.
"Isn't Karl like Mexican or something"

Offline Scatt-Man

• Score: -5
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 13, 2012, 09:18:51 PM »
This is why I shouldn't save episodes 'til bed time. I still haven't finished last week's episode, as I like to savour the goodness that is Greg's relaxing voice. Either that, or the voice is just so damned soothing that it sends me off to the land of dreams before the episode is through. REGARDLESS! I am now I sad man.

We'll miss you a little, I guess, Greg...I guess.
*Tries to hold back the tears*

Offline Eyothrie

• Score: 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 13, 2012, 09:47:32 PM »
Well I just stopped what I was doing to listen to this episode.  Thanks again, Greg. 
RTR!

Offline lolmonade

• I wanna ride dolphins with you in the moonlight until the staff at Sea World kicks us out
  • Score: 29
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 13, 2012, 10:09:49 PM »
Just had to use Chrono Trigger music for the outro...

So long, Greg.  It's been a pleasure listening to you.  Enjoy your retirement from Podcasting.

Offline AV

• Score: -4
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 13, 2012, 10:23:02 PM »
I couldn't think of anything clever to send in but I wanted to. I will miss you Greg.
your valuable input, european perspective, your great insight and the amazing editing skills.

I hope Greg can guest host from time to time for special occasions like e3 or whatever.

Hip Hip Hurrah for greg.
Hip Hip Hurrah for Greg.
HIP HIP HURRAH FOR GREG !!!!!!!!!!!!   :-[ :-X :-\ :'( :'( :'( :'( :'(

Offline Tizona

• Score: 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 13, 2012, 10:51:36 PM »
I just don't know if I can listen. Greg, you were easily the person I most identified with, game wise, and I will very much miss your particular insight on the world of gaming. I'm sure the rest of the crew will continue to put out amazing content, but you will be missed. Thank you sir and godspeed.
"Hear the crashing, see the flames and the sparks! TIZONA!"

Offline Rodrigue

• Score: 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 13, 2012, 10:57:13 PM »
I'll definitely be less excited about listening to each week's episode after this.

On the bright side, there's someone to represent the glorious Québécois master race.
« Last Edit: May 13, 2012, 10:59:35 PM by Rodrigue »

Offline scrawnton

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 13, 2012, 11:39:26 PM »
This was a sad moment for me and the chrono trigger music at the end almost made me cry... I dont take separation well.

Offline Traveller

• NWR Staff
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 14, 2012, 12:44:54 AM »
Amazing episode, it was a really fitting end to Greg's tenure. The last segment was really nice.

Also, I did want to apply for the site because I loved RFN, it pushed me over the edge so to speak.
« Last Edit: May 14, 2012, 12:48:21 AM by Traveller »
Nicholas Bray - Australian Correspondent

Offline ShyGuy

• Fight Me!
  • Score: -9660
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 14, 2012, 12:52:43 AM »
I refuse to say goodbye, because I WILL find you.

ITS NOT OVER ITS NEVER OVER

Offline Pandareus

• NWR Staff
  • Score: 4
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 14, 2012, 12:59:31 AM »
Just finished it. Very touching.

I hope you liked the clip reel, it was done over a pretty short period of time. I think I detected your editing magic on it, I don't recall each clip being at the same volume. Sorry for that!

I've already told you this but it bears repeating: you've been a direct inspiration for me even trying my hand at doing a podcast, your work has been fantastic and I'll always look up to your professionalism and skill.

Jonny was absolutely right: you are one of the foremost experts on Nintendo, and just like John I've often been in awe at your analytical abilities. I don't know where your knowledge of the business came from, but it's damn impressive. Right up to these last few episodes, even though anyone else might have been tempted to phone it in for the past few weeks.

Listening to your podcast over the last few years, I've often thought it would be awesome to get to talk to you guys for real, be invited on the podcast out of the blue to just hang out and talk about Nintendo. I never actually expected it to happen, yet it did. Pretty bittersweet that it should be under these circumstances.

You leave behind some ridiculously big, well-worn shoes that are impossible to fill, Greg. It's the end of an era.

Offline Pixelated Pixies

• Just call me PixPix™
  • Score: -178
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 14, 2012, 01:52:00 AM »
Good luck Greg!
Gouge away.

Offline Sageprotector

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 14, 2012, 03:39:18 AM »
Good luck Greg, may your travels continue serving you well!

Offline ivanincubus

• Score: 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: May 14, 2012, 04:25:14 AM »
 Oh boy, A very emotional episode this was. I must admit that I broke down a bit, and why shouldnt I? When all the crew open their hearts to all the podcast listeners. You are all awesome guys, and james takes the throphy for being the soul of this weeks podcast.
uyd for life!

Offline MoRZ

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: May 14, 2012, 07:44:27 AM »
I've said my piece about Greg on the last thread, so I want to express my gratitude to the entire staff for making this a truly remarkable and emotional episode.

And I fuckin laughed so hard when Jon said "what about me, it's the podcast people"...

Offline EJtheK

• Score: -1
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: May 14, 2012, 09:23:03 AM »
Greg, who will proudly represent Buffalo's great and steadfast Bills on the podcast now!?

You'll be missed...

[size=0pt]Farewell, God Speed, and Good Luck.[/size]

Offline Lithium

• disparaging user title
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: May 14, 2012, 09:29:41 AM »
I got all misty eyed listening to James' farewell. Be Honest James, i wasn't the only one. Sounds like you were about to tear up. man i feel like it's the end of an era :(

...Well, here's to Season 4.

And I fuckin laughed so hard when Jon said "what about me, it's the podcast people"...

don't worry Jon you're awesome too haha
« Last Edit: May 14, 2012, 09:37:32 AM by Lithium »

Offline Killer_Man_Jaro

• NWR Staff
  • Score: 22
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: May 14, 2012, 09:35:34 AM »
This was a big shock for me. I've been very busy work-wise this month, so I was completely unaware of this development until this morning. It's very sad to hear Greg depart from the show - best of luck with all future endeavours.

When Jonny mentioned your inspiring cache of vocabulary, it really resonated with me. In the past three years, I have observed a noticeable improvement in my language while writing essays, presentations and the like. I'd be working on an assignment and insert a certain word or phrase, something that I wouldn't normally use. I'd pause, then trace my choice of words back to RFN and back to something that Greg said. It speaks to the insight and intelligence that you bring to this podcast - you have honestly contributed to my academic growth and for that, I tip my hat to you.

Thank you so much for all your hard work, Greg. Your knowledge and priceless sense of humour will be greatly missed. No pressure, Guillame. :)
Tom Malina
UK Correspondent
-----------------------------
"You'll have to speak up, I'm wearing a towel."

Offline Uncle_Optimus

• Score: -3
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: May 14, 2012, 11:46:40 AM »

Was gettin' a little misty myself, there.Only been listening to the show for a month (plus a hefty bit of the back catalog) but Greg's comments are some of the most poignant Nintendo-related analysis that I have come across.

Cheers for the years of dedicated service, my man. Your passion for the show and in making it amazing was evident in every episode you were involved in.

Offline NWR_Neal

• NWR Staff Pro
  • Score: 27
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: May 14, 2012, 12:42:57 PM »
When I started writing for NWR, it was about two months after the current crew started doing RFN. I've always been a fan and a listener. This sort of sucks.

I believe I can speak for the site as an entire whole (staffers, readers, listeners, etc.) when I say it won't be the same without Greg. We will all miss him dearly.
Neal Ronaghan
Director, NWR

"Fungah! Foiled again!"

Offline latterdayrasta

• Score: -1
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: May 14, 2012, 03:39:17 PM »
I've been listening for years now, and I knew that this day would eventually come.  Thanks to Greg for putting in so many hours to make this show great.  I'm impressed that you held on to that grueling schedule for so long.

The absence of your insight, wit, and professionalism will leave a void, but thank you so much for being a part of our lives each week.  I have written into the show as Chris from Chicago several times, and I was always most interested to hear what you had to say about my emails, since our taste in games is similar.

Enjoy your weekends!  You have definitely earned some time for yourself.  I hope to hear from you again in the future through some other medium.

Go Bills!

Offline Webmalfunction

• PokĂ©mon World Report
  • NWR Staff
  • Score: 7
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: May 14, 2012, 04:39:55 PM »
Just listened to the whole thing...holy ****.

I didn't know just how much I really was going to miss you until I heard the goodbye segment at the end...admittedly, there was a tear or two shed. Those goodbyes were really touching, and I think it was James' at the end that really got to me (in combination with the other two, surely).

I started listening to the show around five years ago, before the four of you became the dream team you were (are). I stopped listening for a little while out of silly foolishness that the show would become worse without the Karl, Jonny, and Sklens lineup. When I started listening again, I was quickly proven wrong (of course), and you guys actually opened my eyes up to the site, and to gaming journalism in general. With that information, I continued listening, started writing on my own time for a few years, and eventually ended up applying for the site several months ago, allowing my fandom in the site to come full circle. So, from the bottom of my heart, thank you, and I hope you won't be a stranger.
« Last Edit: May 14, 2012, 04:41:47 PM by Webmalfunction »

Offline Enner

• My sales numbers, let me show you them
  • Score: 34
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: May 14, 2012, 08:36:58 PM »
Great show. My eyes got a little misty near the end.

With Riki the Heropon in Xenoblade Chronicles, the localization team made some smart choices with the direction they went with. The voice in the Japanese voice over is the high-pitched and cute voice that Japanese voice actors seem to naturally while the English voice over went with the deeper, funny creature voice. In turn, all the Nopon male adults sometimes have a similar voice quip so the players aren't completely blindsided when Riki comes to play.

Either voice over, Japanese or English is a hard sell unless you are tolerant of such cartoon voices. I went in to the game knowing what to expect by listening to character voice clips on the official English Xenoblade website. Still, I hope you give Riki a chance as he goes from doofus to one of the more wise and caring characters in the game (counting the Heart-to-heats here). That is no surprise from a character who is 40 years old, has a wife, and many children. I didn't hear any hints of that facet of the character being known so I hope you were all being respectful of spoilers.