Author Topic: Metal Gear on Wii (not an announcement)  (Read 11435 times)

Offline Adrock

• Chill, Valentine
  • Score: 138
    • View Profile
Metal Gear on Wii (not an announcement)
« on: May 31, 2007, 07:00:43 PM »
In this article, there is a rumor of a Metal Gear title on Wii.

Konami is also in talks with Nintendo to bring a Metal Gear Solid game to the Wii. MGS4 would obviously have to be slimmed down if the chose to port the title to Nintendo's console.

Hideo Kojima has mentioned previously that his team is working on a Wii title, one that appears to be separate from his Project S collaboration with Suda 41. Of course, it could be an entirely new title. If it is Metal Gear, I highly doubt it'd be MGS4. I don't want a gimped version of MGS4. If I want to play MGS4, I'll get it for 360 (not a typo).

A complete retelling of Metal Gear and Metal Gear 2: Solid Snake with new 3D designs would be nice. However, my dream Metal Gear game would be: Metal Gear Liquid, obviously a Liquid Snake origin tale. There's more than enough back story (often hinted at in the original MGS) to support a whole game and then some. An exclusive Metal Gear of this kind with intuitive Wiimote controls could potentially be bigger even than Guns of the Patriots.

Then again, ports of Sons of Libtery and/or Snake Eater with waggle tossed in to call it "new" is also a possibility, but I want a new game dammit.  

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• Animal Crossing Hustler
  • Score: 409
    • View Profile
RE: Metal Gear on Wii (not an announcement)
« Reply #1 on: May 31, 2007, 07:28:05 PM »
I started >THIS< a while ago to keep track of all these rumors so that they don't necessary get lost in the thread shuffling that goes on in every forum. When this thread starts to fall, I'm gonna add this rumor to the very long list of rumors that have already been listed so that days, months or even years from now we can all look back and see what panned out and what was BS.

But back on topic now, what makes you think a MGS4 for Wii would be gimped? all they would have to do is scale back the graphics a little bit, but thats not gonna change the way the game is played in any sort of way. With added "waggle" support it might even be a more interactive movie that the last two "games".

But what I wouldn't mind seeing is a Wiimake for MGS2 & MGS3 along with a port of MGS4 to follow next year. That would gove them two quick cash-ins and they could catch the Nintendo crowd up with the story and build an audience at the same time.

Offline ShyGuy

• Fight Me!
  • Score: -9660
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 31, 2007, 07:51:03 PM »
HOLY CRAP MGS4 IS COMING TO WII??!!!???!

...oh.

Offline Shift Key

• MISTER HAPPY-GO-LUCKY
  • Score: 9
    • View Profile
RE:Metal Gear on Wii (not an announcement)
« Reply #3 on: May 31, 2007, 08:31:24 PM »
Get Silicon Knights to port MGS2 and ... oh wait...

Offline Adrock

• Chill, Valentine
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 31, 2007, 08:47:56 PM »
Yes, I know about the rumor topic and I considered posting the Metal Gear rumor there. However, this is less about the rumor and more about what people would like to see in a Metal Gear title on Wii such as control options and plot.

And I knew someone would call me out on the "gimped" comment. Honestly, I was expecting Smash_Brother. MGS4 was made specifically for more powerful hardware. Mostly remaking the game from scratch to work on Wii is another thing entirely. It's not just about scaling back graphics, things like A.I and physics could potentially suffer.

All that is besides the point. If anyone disagrees, that's fine. I won't argue it. The game could work. Whatever. I simply want a game built specifically for Wii, that takes advantage of the hardware. Rather than Konami mapping controls to fit the Wii remote, I want controls (and game design) that were always intended for the controller. Though ports are always possible, what I envision (and hope for) is a game so specific to Wii's capabilities that the creators wouldn't even think of releasing it on other platforms, as if a PS3/360 port would be considered a "gimped" version without Wiimote support. Granted, I want that for any game designed for Wii, but you get the point though.

I wouldn't turn down Wii versions of other MGS games though there's a chance it wouldn't work out as well. Twin Snakes had many problems, one of which was clumsier controls. MGS2 style controls didn't work as well due to some lost functionality in the GCN controller. And I think only a new game could get this idea across: that "porting up" would actually make it a worse game, even with HD graphics. That makes such a huge statement. Plus, Liquid Snake is just badass.  

Offline Spak-Spang

• The Frightened Fox
  • Score: 39
    • View Profile
    • MirandaNew.com
« Reply #5 on: June 01, 2007, 02:42:43 AM »
I believe the Wii has huge potential for third person adventure/action games.

Targeting and movement will obviously get the best upgrades.  But just being able to sneak around and action a Melee attack will be fun.  

Metal Gear also would be a great franchise to test this out since it doesn't rely strictly on action, but also stealth.
And the development team working on the project would be talented enough to actually make a great controlling game on the system.

Offline ryancoke

• 200k avatars lol!
  • Score: 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 01, 2007, 03:41:46 AM »
could you imagine taking snake into a locker to hide from a guard and having to hold the wiimote/chuk perfectly still as to not make any noise?  That would be so sweet!  Although with the sixaxis they could probably do that on the PS3 version
My Wii Code:
-----------------------------------------------------------------
Jesus Saves.....after he passes each level

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 01, 2007, 05:55:17 AM »

Originally posted by: ryancoke
could you imagine taking snake into a locker to hide from a guard and having to hold the wiimote/chuk perfectly still as to not make any noise?  That would be so sweet!  Although with the sixaxis they could probably do that on the PS3 version
Thats sounds like a good gamelplay addition. I could just picture it now, two brother fighting, one brother waits for an intense moment when the other brother must be perfectly still while hiding in a locker. He sees the guard approaching the locker and thats when he jumps up and slaps his brothers hand making Snake rattle around inside the locker alerting the guard "!" and setting off the alarms "". Sounds like fun.

Offline Smash_Brother

• Let me show you my poké-balls
  • Score: 3
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 01, 2007, 05:59:49 AM »

Originally posted by: Adrock And I knew someone would call me out on the "gimped" comment. Honestly, I was expecting Smash_Brother.

I've been typecast.

Actually, I'd point out that he's called "Suda51" not 41.

But I could see the graphic downscale as possible. I honestly wouldn't care so much if the game looks like ass, so much as it plays well and has great voice acting and story.
"OK, first we need someone to complain about something trivial. Golden or S_B should do. Then we get someone to defend the game, like Bill or Mashiro. Finally add some Unclebob or Pro666 randomness and the thread should go to hell right away." -Pap64

Offline NinGurl69 *huggles

• HI I'M CRAZY
  • Score: 28
    • View Profile
    • Six Sided Video
« Reply #9 on: June 01, 2007, 08:13:00 AM »
We don't need MGS or SC since we have Manhunt 2 now.
:: Six Sided Video .com ~ Pietriots.com ::
PRO IS SERIOUS. GET SERIOUS.

Offline Adrock

• Chill, Valentine
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 01, 2007, 09:09:48 AM »

Actually, I'd point out that he's called "Suda51" not 41.

Damn typos! The saddest part is that I looked him up just to make sure.

And I think you'd care if the graphics looked like ass because then you'd call them lazy. :P In any case, I still prefer a new game because designing the game from scratch allows them more freedom with the Wii remote. Plus, a brand new, exclusive game will do more for Nintendo than a port.

Offline Svevan

• Not Afraid of Being Afraid
  • Score: -9
    • View Profile
    • Continuity
« Reply #11 on: June 01, 2007, 10:35:12 AM »
If MGS4 has complex AI, lots of enemies, huge areas, and a load-less (God of War style) interface, then a lot more than the graphics would have to be scaled down for Wii. Sure, Kojima loves his games to be pretty, but extra disc space (and processing power) means extra gameplay too.  
Evan T. Burchfield, aka Svevan
NWR Message Board Artist

My Blog

Offline ShyGuy

• Fight Me!
  • Score: -9660
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 01, 2007, 12:16:40 PM »
MGS4 will have none of that. It will however have seven hours of HD video that fills up the bluray disc.

Offline NinGurl69 *huggles

• HI I'M CRAZY
  • Score: 28
    • View Profile
    • Six Sided Video
« Reply #13 on: June 01, 2007, 12:53:45 PM »
Only seven?  Talk about a step back.
:: Six Sided Video .com ~ Pietriots.com ::
PRO IS SERIOUS. GET SERIOUS.

Offline Crimm

• Get your unfiltered Bowsette here!
  • NWR Staff Pro
  • Score: 1147
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: June 01, 2007, 02:27:13 PM »

Originally posted by: ShyGuy
MGS4 will have none of that. It will however have seven hours of HD video that fills up the bluray disc.

Can light bloom on the battlefield?
James Jones
Mondo Editor
Nintendo World Report

Offline Galford

• Score: 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: June 01, 2007, 02:54:02 PM »
Hate to be the downer, but hell will freeze before Nintendo gets another Metal Gear title.
The only reason we got Twin Snakes is Nintendo flipped the bill and we all know how that turned out.

Also both Konami and Sony pretend Twin Snakes doesn't exist.  
Ever seen the bonus material that comes with Subsistence?
Twin Snakes is a no show.
Wii Code - 8679 5256 1008 2077

Offline Adrock

• Chill, Valentine
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: June 01, 2007, 03:38:11 PM »
A valid point. The difference between Gamecube and Wii, however, is that Wii is popular, quite possibly the most popular system ever based on 1st year sales. That changes everything.

Offline IceCold

• I love you Vanilla Ice!
  • Score: 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: June 01, 2007, 08:49:15 PM »

Hate to be the downer, but hell will freeze before Nintendo gets another Metal Gear title.
I'll take you up on that. It may not be MGS4, but I'm willing to bet that we'll get a Metal Gear game in the near future.
"I used to sell furniture for a living. The trouble was, it was my own."
---------------------------------------------
"If your parents never had children, chances are you won't either."
----------------------------
"If it weren't for electricity we'd all be watching television by the candlelig

Offline Terranigma Freak

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: June 02, 2007, 03:15:05 AM »
How about the fact that Kojima hates the Wii? The man constantly flip flops around talking crap and kissing ass behind the scenes. I don't like him, and I could care less if MGS comes to Wii.

What I do want from Konami is a goddamn CONTRA on Wii. How long has it been since we've had a good Contra game? I wouldn't mind a Castlevania (3D IF done right) either. There are so many other games to look forward to from Konami.

Offline Galford

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: June 02, 2007, 08:48:28 AM »
Ok I was being a little harsh.
If the Wii gets a MG game it will be via the VC.

Here's a link to the 20th Anniversary website for Metal Gear.
http://www.konami.jp/gs/game/mg20th/

Pay close attention to what's not being shown.
Namely every Nintendo based Metal Gear ever made.

Of course I could be absolutely wrong and have to eat foot, but everything tastes good with a little hot sauce.
Wii Code - 8679 5256 1008 2077

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• View Profile
« Reply #20 on: June 02, 2007, 09:18:25 AM »
But Metal Gear and Metal Gear 2: Solid Snake are named on the site.
Both of those were on NES, I owned and beat both of them.

Offline Requiem

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: June 02, 2007, 12:31:36 PM »
Well Snake is already in SSBB, so I don't think it's too far fetched.

Freak: I really want Contra as well. It could be done so well on the Wii too.
"Hey....

I'm not a whore, ok? Really.....really, I'm not.

But, if she slips man....if she slips, I slide!"

Qoute of the Summer

Offline D-Mac Double

• View Profile
« Reply #22 on: June 02, 2007, 02:04:01 PM »

Originally posted by: BlackNMild2k1
But Metal Gear and Metal Gear 2: Solid Snake are named on the site.
Both of those were on NES, I owned and beat both of them.

Actually that's incorrect. While Metal Gear on NES was a port of the original MSX2 version, Metal Gear 2 for the NES and MSX2 are completely different games.

NES received Snake's Revenge, developed exclusively for the western market with zero involvement from Hideo Kojima, while MSX2 received the far superior and canon sequel, Metal Gear 2: Solid Snake. The game was never released outside of Japan until last year, as a component of MGS3: Subsistence for PS2.

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• View Profile
« Reply #23 on: June 02, 2007, 03:02:40 PM »
Oh you're right, it was Snakes Revenge. And I wasn't too fond of the side scrolling elements in that game either.

Offline GoldenPhoenix

• Now it's a party!
  • Score: 42
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: June 02, 2007, 03:07:36 PM »
Snake's Revenge was like the Zelda 2 of the MGS series.
Switch Friend Code: SW-4185-3173-1144