Author Topic: Radio Free Nintendo: Episode 187  (Read 9029 times)

Offline broodwars

• Hunting for a Pineapple Salad
  • Score: -1011
    • View Profile
Re: Radio Free Nintendo: Episode 187
« Reply #25 on: March 17, 2010, 12:33:12 AM »
My favorite part of most previous FFs is the overworld. So I'm just hoping the battle system is awesome and the story hooks me enough that I don't hate watching the cut-scenes.

You'll be happy to know that something approaching "the overworld" appears late in the game, where you have free reign to just run around and do a little questing/exploration/grinding.  It's actually the area I'm running around right now, and it's pretty eye-pleasing...though the enemies can get ridiculously hard.  I think you'll be surprised just how much exploration Square-Enix manages to wring out of seemingly simple level designs up till that point, as well.  The battle system is awesome, btw, and I've found the story engaging enough.  It's all leagues better than XII, that's for damn sure.
There was a Signature here. It's gone now.

Offline KDR_11k

• boring person
  • Score: 28
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: March 17, 2010, 07:09:37 AM »
For the things that need to die, tutorials that integrate into the story and tutorials that you can skip aren't the only options here, what about a tutorial that's simply not boring to play through? Making the tutorial fun would prevent those issues. I don't remember any "now practice it" parts in Disaster...

I'm not much of a loot person myself, I do like loot but usually loot is just a number boost and I don't care about that, I want game changers. That's what I like about Metroid items (and one of the areas Corruption fell flat in), you get one and suddenly the game is different. EDF weapons tend to be like that too, because they're not random you get what the game devs designed and if it has drawbacks you better learn to deal with those because you can't just keep grinding until a similar weapon without the drawback drops (looking at Boringlands here). Even Hellgate did that better than Boringlands because often the different guns you got had different behaviours (e.g. the fire rocket launcher is nothing like the MIRV).

Offline Kytim89

• Only question I ever thought was hard was do I like Kirk or do I like Picard?
  • Score: -156
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: March 17, 2010, 10:15:06 PM »
Rail shooters on wii need to die.
« Last Edit: March 20, 2010, 03:04:34 PM by Kytim89 »
Please follow me on Twitter at: Kytim89.

Offline GregLover5000

• Score: 0
    • View Profile
    • Shatterglass.net
« Reply #28 on: March 18, 2010, 12:04:29 PM »
Loved the bit on Shiren. I haven't played it (yet), but I had very similar experiences and reactions to Izuna (which I began playing never having heard the term "Rogue-like"). But yeah, very similar reaction. Once I wrapped my head around the concept I found it really compelling. There was definitely some behavioral conditioning going on while I played -- I had to have my hand slapped a lot before I figured out that caution was actually a virtue that's rewarded in these games. And while it's frustrating at first, it becomes very satisfying to face up to some randomly generated circumstance and realize you just have to back off if you want to keep what you have.

Offline Sundoulos

• My mascot is a type of toxic algae
  • Score: 27
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: March 18, 2010, 12:43:46 PM »
I thought I heard a brief joke in there about there being no Mario-spinoff in the FPS genre.  Wouldn't Yoshi's Safari count? 
"A creature revolting against a creator is revolting against the source of his own powers--including even his power to revolt...It is like the scent of a flower trying to destroy the flower." - C.S. Lewis, in a preface to Milton's Paradise Lost

Offline jrlibrarian

• Small Staff
  • Score: 6
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: March 19, 2010, 02:05:12 PM »
Just wondering, but if anyone (not specifically Jon) reviewed Explorers of Sky, then would James play Shiren? I've been thinking about getting it just to make my own opinion about the series.
I am a leaf on the wind, watch how I soar.