Author Topic: Radio Free Nintendo: Episode 186  (Read 13207 times)

Offline noname2200

• Not a douche. Seriously.
  • Score: 21
    • View Profile
Re: Radio Free Nintendo: Episode 186
« Reply #25 on: March 09, 2010, 04:12:11 PM »
Well done, as always. One thing I'd like to note: Tatsunoko vs. Capcom still has the mini-games in it: just collect all the yellow letters in the credits to unlock them (it's easiest with Roll).

I don't appreciate the complete dismissal of an entire genre whenever roguelikes are brought up on the podcast. I am glad that Jonny is willing to try one, and it appears that James may be playing up how he feels about these games for entertainment's sake. Still, those that enjoy them aren't necessarily idiots for liking them and don't need to sustain monk-like lifestyles to do so.

While I agree, in James' defense his experience seems to be primarily/exclusively based on the Pokemon games. Those were terrible roguelikes.

Offline KDR_11k

• boring person
  • Score: 28
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: March 09, 2010, 04:55:39 PM »
I liked the music but the game was kinda weak so I'm not sure about recommending it.

You're right about the Brutal Legend soundtrack getting worse over time, due to the structure of the game.

You guys are crazy, or maybe you just don't like metal.  As a blue ocean metal fan myself, I'd say they captured the spirit of the sound over the decades.  Especially with that menu, wow, so slick.

I like heavy metal. Not that screamer bullshit they make these days. Proper heavy metal.

Offline NWR_Neal

• NWR Staff Pro
  • Score: 27
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: March 09, 2010, 07:58:18 PM »
noname2200, TvC only has one mini-game, while the original release had multiple. Supposedly they were gimmicky, though.
Neal Ronaghan
Director, NWR

"Fungah! Foiled again!"

Offline greybrick

• Up the Irons!
  • Score: 6
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: March 09, 2010, 08:30:30 PM »
I liked the music but the game was kinda weak so I'm not sure about recommending it.

You're right about the Brutal Legend soundtrack getting worse over time, due to the structure of the game.

You guys are crazy, or maybe you just don't like metal.  As a blue ocean metal fan myself, I'd say they captured the spirit of the sound over the decades.  Especially with that menu, wow, so slick.

I like heavy metal. Not that screamer bull**** they make these days. Proper heavy metal.

Bah! Swedish metal FTW!!!  ;D
Bless you, my child.
Please turn the power OFF.

And Jonny, you don't ride the giant Cheep-Cheep

Offline NWR_Neal

• NWR Staff Pro
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: March 09, 2010, 09:35:30 PM »
On the topic of the GBA Micro, I bought one right before I joined the staff (in early 2008) at a flea market for $25 that came with an in-box copy of Pokemon Leaf Green. I mainly got it because it came with Leaf Green, or rather Leaf Green came with a GBA Micro.

I used it for Leaf Green, and really enjoyed it. The screen's awesome, and the buttons, while occasionally cramping, were fine.

I've been using it again with Metroid Zero Mission and WarioWare Twisted!, which I recently picked up for cheap. It's still awesome, and it was totally worth the price.
Neal Ronaghan
Director, NWR

"Fungah! Foiled again!"

Offline greybrick

• Up the Irons!
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: March 09, 2010, 09:42:54 PM »
On the topic of the GBA Micro, I bought one right before I joined the staff (in early 2008) at a flea market for $25 that came with an in-box copy of Pokemon Leaf Green. I mainly got it because it came with Leaf Green, or rather Leaf Green came with a GBA Micro.

I used it for Leaf Green, and really enjoyed it. The screen's awesome, and the buttons, while occasionally cramping, were fine.

I've been using it again with Metroid Zero Mission and WarioWare Twisted!, which I recently picked up for cheap. It's still awesome, and it was totally worth the price.

Wouldn't it be so cool if Nintendo made a device about that size that could play VC games? (as well as handheld VC games). I would take that with me everywhere!

Also, a while back Jonny predicted that Netflix will be coming to the DS. Kotaku just posted an article that supports that theory... while I think the PSP would be a better candidate hardware-wise, it certainly is an interesting idea.
Bless you, my child.

Offline Jonnyboy117

• Associate Editor
  • NWR Staff
  • Score: 37
    • View Profile
    • Nintendo World Report
« Reply #31 on: March 09, 2010, 09:46:26 PM »
There's no way the current DS could handle Netflix. I was speaking about the next real handheld from Nintendo.

By the way, I wanted to have a place for roguelike talk that won't scroll away so soon:

Shiren the Wanderer DS Thread of Helping Jonny Not Give Up
http://www.nintendoworldreport.com/forums/index.php?topic=30823.0
THE LAMB IS WATCHING!

Offline greybrick

• Up the Irons!
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: March 09, 2010, 09:54:44 PM »
@Jonny

The article I read points to an official Netflix survey about putting its service on the DS via wifi. In the past, every Netflix survey about coming to a gaming console has come true, so there is a chance that this will pan out. One can only speculate about the quality of the streaming, but it does mention specifics such as loading times.
Bless you, my child.

Offline Shaymin

• Not my circus, not my monkeys
  • NWR Staff
  • Score: 70
    • View Profile
    • You're on it
« Reply #33 on: March 09, 2010, 10:21:53 PM »
First thought on the Micro discussion actually springs from the fact that I'm archive binging on RFN right now: "How many of those 200,000 GBAs are Micros?"
Donald Theriault - News Editor, Nintendo World Report / 2016 Nintendo World Champion
Tutorial box out.

Offline NWR_DrewMG

• NWR Staff Pro
  • Score: 19
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: March 09, 2010, 10:25:05 PM »
By the way, I wanted to have a place for roguelike talk that won't scroll away so soon:

Shiren the Wanderer DS Thread of Helping Jonny Not Give Up
http://www.nintendoworldreport.com/forums/index.php?topic=30823.0

For what it's worth, I actually found a very helpful community for the game over on the Penny-Arcade forums.   The Wii game, I mean.  There might also be a thread for the DS game, as there seemed to be a pretty active interest in the Wii game.
Your conversational partner has disconnected.

Offline kraken613

• tinyurl.com/2lrx46
  • Score: 5
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: March 09, 2010, 11:36:35 PM »
First thought on the Micro discussion actually springs from the fact that I'm archive binging on RFN right now: "How many of those 200,000 GBAs are Micros?"

Aw, the good old times of RFN.....
~David~
3DS: 5214-9250-6646 - David
Playing Now: Animal Crossing: New Leaf

Offline NWR_Lindy

• Famous Rapper
  • NWR Staff Pro
  • Score: 14
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: March 10, 2010, 12:11:06 AM »
Oh man, I love my GBA Micro to death.  I picked up the anniversary edition one with the gold/maroon color scheme of the Japanese NES.  It's AWESOME I love it and hug it every night and the screen looks AMAZING.
Jon Lindemann
Contributing Editor, Nintendo World Report

My Game Backlog

Offline NWR_Neal

• NWR Staff Pro
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: March 10, 2010, 11:18:46 AM »
Oh man, I love my GBA Micro to death.  I picked up the anniversary edition one with the gold/maroon color scheme of the Japanese NES.  It's AWESOME I love it and hug it every night and the screen looks AMAZING.

I do this as well.
Neal Ronaghan
Director, NWR

"Fungah! Foiled again!"

Offline Plugabugz

• *continues waiting*
  • Score: 10
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: March 10, 2010, 06:20:50 PM »
I am SHOCKED that James and Jonny talked about using Beyonce in/for a Wii Music game and there's absolutely no mention of Beyonce's Bootylicious Dance Mix.

*continues waiting*

Offline NWR_Lindy

• Famous Rapper
  • NWR Staff Pro
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: March 10, 2010, 08:46:27 PM »

I do this as well.

micromance
Jon Lindemann

My Game Backlog

Offline Halbred

• Staff Paleontologist, Ruiner of Worlds
  • NWR Staff
  • Score: 17
    • View Profile
    • When Pigs Fly Returns
« Reply #40 on: March 10, 2010, 08:48:53 PM »

I do this as well.

micromance

/headdesk
This would be my PSN Trophy Card, but I guess I can't post HTML in my Signature. I'm the pixel spaceship, and I have nine Gold trophies.

Offline broodwars

• Hunting for a Pineapple Salad
  • Score: -1011
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: March 10, 2010, 09:52:54 PM »
From time to time, I've thought about picking up Brutal Legend just because the demo was pretty humorous.  Thing is, I despise Heavy Metal music...maybe even more than Rap music.  For the life of me I don't know who Tim Schaffer thought he was making this game for, especially since EA hyped the game as something it wasn't (a God of War-style action game, rather than an RTS).  Maybe I'll pick it up sometime when I finish this nice glut of good games I'm playing right now (Star Ocean 4, FF XIII, Heavy Rain, maybe Resonance of Fate, etc.).  I can only really tolerate 1-2 open world games a year, and I suppose Brutal Legend would make for a decent one.
There was a Signature here. It's gone now.

Offline noname2200

• Not a douche. Seriously.
  • Score: 21
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: March 13, 2010, 12:14:25 AM »
noname2200, TvC only has one mini-game, while the original release had multiple. Supposedly they were gimmicky, though.

Ah, I stand corrected then!

Offline Crimm

• Get your unfiltered Bowsette here!
  • NWR Staff Pro
  • Score: 1147
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: March 14, 2010, 01:44:44 PM »
I have breaking news: In RFN 187 I talk about another RPG.

You're welcome.

Also 188.
Probably 189.
James Jones
Mondo Editor
Nintendo World Report

Offline NWR_Lindy

• Famous Rapper
  • NWR Staff Pro
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: March 15, 2010, 07:01:27 PM »
James Jones, RPG Correspondent and RPG Features Editor.  And Chocobo cosplayer.
Jon Lindemann

My Game Backlog

Offline Crimm

• Get your unfiltered Bowsette here!
  • NWR Staff Pro
  • Score: 1147
    • View Profile
« Reply #45 on: March 19, 2010, 04:36:46 PM »
Jon Lindemann, Muscle March Curious
James Jones
Mondo Editor
Nintendo World Report

Offline Halbred

• Staff Paleontologist, Ruiner of Worlds
  • NWR Staff
  • Score: 17
    • View Profile
    • When Pigs Fly Returns
« Reply #46 on: March 19, 2010, 05:44:50 PM »
I have breaking news: In RFN 187 I talk about another RPG.

You're welcome.

Also 188.
Probably 189.

Thanks Cthulhu that Greg builds chapter breaks into each person's New Business. "Oh, James is talking about another RPG." *skip ahead* LOL
This would be my PSN Trophy Card, but I guess I can't post HTML in my Signature. I'm the pixel spaceship, and I have nine Gold trophies.

Offline NWR_Lindy

• Famous Rapper
  • NWR Staff Pro
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: March 20, 2010, 02:11:24 PM »
Jon Lindemann, Muscle March Curious

Jon Lindemann, Polar Bearrorist
Jon Lindemann

My Game Backlog

Offline Kytim89

• Only question I ever thought was hard was do I like Kirk or do I like Picard?
  • Score: -156
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: March 20, 2010, 11:40:18 PM »

I have a similar affection for my DSi.
Please follow me on Twitter at: Kytim89.