Author Topic: Zelda 25th Anniversary Photoshop Contest  (Read 25766 times)

Offline MegaByte

• NWR Staff... Can't win trivia
  • NWR Staff Pro
  • Score: 31337
    • View Profile
    • Konfiskated Teknologies Network
Zelda 25th Anniversary Photoshop Contest
« on: February 22, 2011, 12:57:23 AM »

Come up with a new item for Link, and win rare Zelda prizes.

http://www.nintendoworldreport.com/contest/23597

Twenty-five years ago, The Hyrule Fantasy: Zelda no Densetsu was released in Japan. In celebration of The Legend of Zelda's anniversary, we are holding a Photoshop contest. But first, a story. A story that will explain this curious photo to the right, for which we will take you back to E3 2010 Day 2, shortly after the show floor closed *wavy time travel effect*.

Our E3 crew were debating whether to attend the Nintendo of Europe party that evening or not. While it might seem like a simple decision, people were tired already, it meant driving out to Hollywood, getting back late with a podcast recording still on the schedule, but nevertheless, a group soldiered on and in the end, were very glad that they did.

The party was a typical Nintendo of Europe affair, a relaxed event by the poolside and a chance to recover from the strenuous day's events. We sat in a marquee to the side and watched the world go by, whilst taking in the B-roll footage of the day's announced games, playing on loop. Our attention turned to the pool decorations, battery-powered glowing orbs that would cycle through various shades reminiscent of the PlayStation Move controllers that had been unveiled to the world earlier that day.

During the party we had noticed several recognisable Nintendo figures in attendance. All of a sudden, over there, was Eiji Aonuma, producer on the Legend of Zelda series, in a neat Game and Watch t-shirt. Minds became active at this discovery, and ideas surfaced. What if we did this? No way, we couldn't, could we?

Fearless party member Aaron Kaluszka strode up to Aonuma-san and asked if we could possibly take a photo of him holding the orb above his head as Link does with newfound items, demonstrating the action. His response was laughter, and he happily complied, whilst telling nearby Masahiro Sakurai not to take a picture too (who promptly did anyway). The party attendees from Nintendo disbanded shortly after. Having achieved more than we could have hoped for, we did the same.

For this very special contest, we have collected a number of rare Zelda prizes to go out to the winner. Most of these are promotional items that are actually very difficult to get hold of, but our staff have kindly offered to part with them for your benefit.

Grand Prize:
The Legend of Zelda: Skyward Sword T-shirt from E3 2010 (Size large).
Sealed copy of Tingle's Balloon Fight for Nintendo DS from Club Nintendo Japan
The Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time/Master Quest for GameCube (Wind Waker pre-order bonus)
The Legend of Zelda: Spirit Tracks quill stylus from E3 2009

Sealed copy of The Legend of Zelda: Phantom Hourglass
Game Boy Advance screen cleaner featuring "4 Swords" Link from E3 2004

Runner up:
One prize from the NWR grab-bag.

To be in with a chance to win this amazing prize set, you will need a little skill in image manipulation. For those of you without image editing software, don't worry, as this online Flash-based editor should be adequate.

Link has had numerous items, some conventional, and some unique, to help him out on his adventures. Your goal is to come up with a new item that you'd like to see in a future Zelda game. Let Aonuma-san have this item to hold proudly above his head. To inspire you, here are some examples by our own staff (your item doesn't have to be a pink ball).

Michael "TYP" Cole: Kirby Vacuum

Jonathan Metts: Baby Mama

The winner will be decided on collectively by the NWR staff based on originality and execution. The winning entry will be posted following the closing date of March 7, 2011. Contest is now closed. No further entries will be accepted and the winners will be announced in due course. The original image can be found here.

Multiple entries are allowed, but individuals can win only once, and NWR staff are not eligible to compete. All entries become property of Nintendo World Report and may be displayed on this site. All decisions are final. We are not responsible for late, lost, or misdirected mail. NWR reserves the right to change these rules at any time.

Aaron Kaluszka
Contributing Editor, Nintendo World Report

Offline TurdFurgy

• Score: 2
    • View Profile
Re: Zelda 25th Anniversary Photoshop Contest
« Reply #1 on: February 22, 2011, 02:23:31 AM »
Does want!!!

Offline TheBlackCat

• Score: 11
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 22, 2011, 11:50:31 AM »
I'm not understanding the contest.  Are we supposed to come up with a new item for Link and photoshop something totally unrelated into the picture, or are we supposed to photoshop the item into the picture, or are we supposed to photoshop the item or something totally unrelated into the picture?
Imagine if every Thursday your shoes exploded if you tied them the usual way. This happens to us all the time with computers, and nobody thinks of complaining.
-Jeff Raskin

Offline MegaByte

• NWR Staff Pro
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 22, 2011, 01:19:32 PM »
Photoshop the item into the picture. But the item can be anything.
Aaron Kaluszka

Offline NWR_pap64

• You are not the boss of me
  • Score: 25
    • View Profile
    • Nintendo World Report
« Reply #4 on: February 22, 2011, 02:47:07 PM »
What MegaByte said. Replace the item Aonuma is holding with something funny or cool using Photoshop or any other image editing program.
Pedro Hernandez
NWR Staff Writer

Offline CaptainSpaulding

• Score: -2
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 22, 2011, 06:21:46 PM »
Since you guys sorta forgot to write any contact email:
Here's my entry
http://i54.tinypic.com/28aklyu.jpg
Symbolic of Eiji's handling of the zelda series.
THANK YOU FOR KEEPING ZELDA FIRMLY LODGED INTO 1998 N64 GAMEPLAY MECHANICS AND DUMBING IT DOWN TO THE POINT WHERE IT PLAYS ITSELF FOR THE MOST PART AND WHO DOESN'T LOVE HANDHOLDING?
Zelda 1-4 were gems and then Eiji came along and shat all over them.
Bring back Tezuka like in NSMB for the Wii.
I want a proper NEW ZELDA and not another terribly rehashed OoT clone straight from N64-gameplay hell with another funky gimmick.

Offline MegaByte

• NWR Staff Pro
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 22, 2011, 06:32:33 PM »
Contact e-mail is in the second to last paragraph. We've had a number of entries already.
Aaron Kaluszka

Offline Bman87301

• AtGames Defender
  • Score: -10
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 24, 2011, 05:57:37 PM »

THANK YOU FOR KEEPING ZELDA FIRMLY LODGED INTO 1998 N64 GAMEPLAY MECHANICS AND DUMBING IT DOWN TO THE POINT WHERE IT PLAYS ITSELF FOR THE MOST PART AND WHO DOESN'T LOVE HANDHOLDING?
Zelda 1-4 were gems and then Eiji came along and shat all over them.
Bring back Tezuka like in NSMB for the Wii.
I want a proper NEW ZELDA and not another terribly rehashed OoT clone straight from N64-gameplay hell with another funky gimmick.

*applauds*

It's about time someone else besides myself has had the insight to bring this up. Although, I hope you were excluding The Adventure of Link and counting OoT as #4, because if you were including OoT itself in that generalization, you're an idiot.

In Aonuma's defense though, it's not as if his games are bad-- they're actually great games on their own (specifically, Majora's Mask)-- they just weren't good as 'Zelda' games (the same can also be said about AoL). Majora's Mask would have been brilliant if they had replaced Link with a new character and present it as a new IP. Unfortunately, they didn't go that route and it simply didn't work as a 'Zelda' game.

Nintendo needs to take Aonuma off the 'Zelda' series and let him focus on new original franchises of his own.
« Last Edit: February 24, 2011, 06:19:30 PM by Bman87301 »

Offline NWR_insanolord

• Rocket Fuel Malt Liquor....DAMN!
  • NWR Staff Pro
  • Score: -18986
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 24, 2011, 06:07:49 PM »
I think it's more likely he wasn't counting Link's Awakening, which, if it were up to me, would be a bannable offense on these forums.
Insanolord is a terrible moderator.

J.P. Corbran
NWR Community Manager and Soccer Correspondent

Offline Ian Sane

• Champion for Urban Champion
  • Score: 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 24, 2011, 07:34:42 PM »
I would say the last truly amazing Zelda was Majora's Mask.  Of course that is Aonuma's first Zelda game so I wouldn't immediately isolate him as the problem with the more recent titles.  I also at one point would have had similar ideas about Mario not being the same since Super Mario 64 and then that series re-invented itself with the Galaxy games.

Since the N64, Nintendo has farmed Nintendo off to Capcom, which resulted in some great games but it they aren't quite the same as Nintendo's own titles.  Nintendo has also introduced Zelda spin-offs like Four Swords (yeah!) and Link's Crossbow Training (boo!)  As a result Zelda titles are more frequent.  Back when there was only six titles the spacing between releases could be several years.  You could argue that Zelda has become overexposed and thus the concepts appear less interesting.

Nintendo also changed when Iwata took over.  They like the big mainstream hit.  They like casual appeal.  They have become a company that is very afraid to offend.  Every game has to be suitable for everybody and have huge sales potential.  Zelda was always a very progressive and ambitious series.  As popular as it has been it is not really a game for everyone.  It has too much depth and complexity to it.  It's user-friendly but it is not for everyone.

Majora's Mask was probably the least accessible Zelda game ever.  It was very dark and it had this three day cycle thing that you just knew not everyone would like.  It's a game that says "this is how it is, take it or leave it."  The thing is this is not the sort of game Nintendo typically makes and every Zelda since then has overcompensated in a way to appear more accessible.  Wind Waker overcompensated on tone going from the darkness of MM to super bright happy cartoons.  That resulted in some backlash from the existing fans (due I feel largely to the Spaceworld bait-and-switch; a huge PR goof) so Nintendo overcompensates again by ditched the cartoon look but being incredibly derivative.  Then we've got the DS games which use some outright broken forced touchscreen controls in what I think it pretty obviously the result of Nintendo's assumptions that casuals are intimidated by buttons and will find touchscreen controls more intuitive.  Skyward Sword is going nuts with motion control, a concept also introduced to attract people intimidated by traditional controls.

Nintendo is bending over backwards to make Zelda safe and inoffensive and suitable for all audiences.  The problem is Zelda is a non-linear game with incredible scope and ambition which requires a combination of action game skill and puzzle game thinking.  It cannnot be truly accessible to everyone while also being a good Zelda game and I think that is why it hasn't been the same.  Metroid is the same way - attempts to make it more accessible have resulted in subpar games.  Mario's gameplay is less complex so it suits itself better to universal appeal.

You know how a cool person will just be himself while those who specifically TRY to be cool never are?  That's Zelda.  Nintendo is too afraid to let Zelda be itself.  They try too hard to make it a hit so they compromise it for this group or that group.  **** it.  Just make Zelda.

Offline TurdFurgy

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 24, 2011, 09:01:21 PM »
Say what you will, but the touchscreen controls for the DS Zeldas are far from outright broken.

Offline Bman87301

• AtGames Defender
  • Score: -10
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 24, 2011, 09:01:59 PM »
Nintendo also changed when Iwata took over.  They like the big mainstream hit.  They like casual appeal.  They have become a company that is very afraid to offend.  Every game has to be suitable for everybody and have huge sales potential.  Zelda was always a very progressive and ambitious series.  As popular as it has been it is not really a game for everyone.  It has too much depth and complexity to it.  It's user-friendly but it is not for everyone.

Umm, you must not follow Nintendo all that closely, because that's just straight out wrong. It definitely is true that Nintendo changed when Iwata took over... but what you're describing is precisely the opposite of how it changed.

I can see how you could get that impression if you focus solely on the 'Zelda' series, but even then you'd have to ignore Twilight Princess.
The truth is, trying to make every game suitable for everyone and being very afraid to offend is how Yamauchi ran things.

If what you were saying were accurate we'd never have gotten games like Advance Wars: Days of Ruin (a 1st-party developed game, with cursing and plenty of death), Metroid: Other M (it may have had overly-simplified controls, but the game's story was definitely NOT intended to appeal towards everyone-- and Yamauchi certainly wouldn't have let it through), Super Smash Bros. Brawl (never would have been as hardcore), and Twilight Princess (Yamauchi would have strongly discouraged a Zelda that could get a 'T'-rating... and do keep in mind that Wind Waker's development started when Yamauchi was still at the helm), as well as countless others.

Unlike Yamauchi, Iwata has encouraged games aimed at specific audiences. Let's face it, we never got games like Nintendogs and Brain Age under Yamauchi either and those never would have appealed to core gamers. Instead what we got were games with in-depth gameplay but light-hearted  themes, meant to cater all, but often ended up only appealing to even smaller niche groups.

I will agree with you that recent Zelda games seem too afraid of being what Zelda was meant to be, but it's not for the reasons you seem to think. The way I see it, it's due to Aonuma's lack of understanding of the series. With each new game he makes, he makes mistakes, and then overcompensates in the next game in the areas he thinks he failed in the previous one, meanwhile re-making the real mistakes he misidentified in the first place. I don't think it has much to do with interference from his higher-ups.
« Last Edit: February 25, 2011, 11:29:21 AM by Bman87301 »

Offline Ian Sane

• Champion for Urban Champion
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 25, 2011, 12:15:04 PM »
Umm, you must not follow Nintendo all that closely, because that's just straight out wrong. It definitely is true that Nintendo changed when Iwata took over... but what you're describing is precisely the opposite of how it changed.

Well I disagree.  In fact, aside from Advance Wars, I would actually use the examples you gave as proof of Nintendo desire to have more universal appeal with each game.  Twilight Princess is derivative to not offend.  Brawl added more random elements like tripping and final smashes because they feel that random chaos makes a multiplayer game more inviting to beginners as it gives people a chance to win by fluke.  Other M's changes were to give the series more Japanese appeal.  It's a very linear game, a clear attempt to dumb down the gameplay for people put off by Metroid's backtracking.

However I think the theory that Aonuma makes mistakes and them overcompensates in the areas he thinks he failed sounds very plausible.  But I find I see that with Nintendo more as a whole.  If they don't get the sales they want they start tinkering in a way to make it sell with those that didn't like it.  Metroid is a great example of Nintendo not being cool with it being a profitable series that sells to a specific cult audience.  They always want to make it easier and more linear.  Got to get it to sell in Japan.  Got to sell Metroid Prime to the people that didn't like its controls and wanted an FPS.  I notice a lack of confidence in the games that are critically acclaimed but don't quite sell as much as they would have liked.

But whether it's Aonuma or Miyamoto or Iwata or Nintendo as a whole, Zelda doesn't seem to have confidence in itself.

Offline Luigi Dude

• Truth Bomber
  • Score: 4
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 25, 2011, 04:26:00 PM »
Metroid is a great example of Nintendo not being cool with it being a profitable series that sells to a specific cult audience.  They always want to make it easier and more linear.  Got to get it to sell in Japan.  Got to sell Metroid Prime to the people that didn't like its controls and wanted an FPS.  I notice a lack of confidence in the games that are critically acclaimed but don't quite sell as much as they would have liked.

The problem with your theory is that Metroid Prime actually got a sequel called Metroid Prime 2: Echoes that was harder then Prime 1 and more nonlinear then Prime 1 as well.  Even though Prime 1 sold terrible in Japan, Prime 2 was still allowed to be made with only the West in mind because Prime 1 sold very well in the West.

Not to mention saying Other M was made to make the series more popular in Japan is completely false.  Other M wasn't made because Iwata woke up some day and wanted to make the Metroid series a symbol of Japanese national pride, it was made because the creator of the series, Yoshio Sakamoto wanted to make another Metroid game since he hadn't made one since Zero Mission in 2004.  All the complaint you have about Other M being to linear already existed in Fusion which was a Metroid game Sakamoto made over 8 years earlier.  Metroid Fusion started development before Iwata ever became president and was released about 6 months after Iwata was president so all the things that Sakamoto was doing that Metroid fanboys hate like the story and being more linear were all being done while Yamauchi was still president.

So to blame Iwata for all the problem you have with Other M is very foolish at best since all the problems you have come from the series creator Sakamoto who started doing the same things before Iwata even became president.

I will agree with you that recent Zelda games seem too afraid of being what Zelda was meant to be, but it's not for the reasons you seem to think. The way I see it, it's due to Aonuma's lack of understanding of the series. With each new game he makes, he makes mistakes, and then overcompensates in the next game in the areas he thinks he failed in the previous one, meanwhile re-making the real mistakes he misidentified in the first place. I don't think it has much to do with interference from his higher-ups.

Oh and on the issue of Zelda even though I'm a huge fan of Aonuma's work and would love to get into an argument with some of you, it pointless since he's not the director of Skyward Sword.  The director of Skyward Sword is Hidemaro Fujibayashi, who was the director of the Oracle Zelda's and Minish Cap.  Yes, Aonuma is the producer and overlooking the project, but Fujibayashi is the actual director and the director is the most important person who is responsible for how everything is made.  Aonuma now plays the same role Miyamoto played for Majora's Mask, Wind Waker and Twilight Princess.  Yes, he's still involved in certain aspects but majority of the work is being done by the director, Fujibayashi.

Hell, if you look at the video's and pictures we've seen for Skyward Sword so far you can tell Fujibayashi has a lot of control since the environment looks like a 3D version of Minish Cap at the moment.  So once again, complaints about Zelda not changing are rather foolish since Skyward Sword is being made by someone who's never even made a 3D Zelda before.  Now you can complain about how the change might not be good but to say that Skyward Sword is going to be playing it safe is also very foolish since there's everything we know of so far with a new director and a whole new control scheme points to the complete opposite.

So yeah, all of you who complain about Aonuma have no reason to even complain anymore.  He's not directly making the Zelda games anymore and is just the producer now.  If your going to continue to blame him for any of the upcoming Zelda's, then you have to start blaming Miyamoto for Majora's Mask, Wind Waker and Twilight Princess since he was the producer of those games just like Aonuma is now the producer of Skyward Sword.
I’m gonna have you play every inch of this game! - Masahiro Sakurai

Offline MegaByte

• NWR Staff Pro
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: February 25, 2011, 04:58:27 PM »
I'm tempted to make a new rule that says that you have to enter the contest in order to argue in this thread.
Aaron Kaluszka

Offline Crimm

• Get your unfiltered Bowsette here!
  • NWR Staff Pro
  • Score: 1147
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: February 25, 2011, 08:53:29 PM »
I'm tempted to make a new rule that says that you have to enter the contest in order to argue in this thread.

Aaron, you don't need to have rules in order to enforce them. Welcome to my fiefdom, fists of iron.

No arguing, just humiliate Aonuma.

That party was fantastic though.
James Jones
Mondo Editor
Nintendo World Report

Offline MegaByte

• NWR Staff Pro
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: February 25, 2011, 08:57:13 PM »
Well, yeah, but that doesn't encourage more shops :-p
Aaron Kaluszka

Offline CaptainSpaulding

• Score: -2
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: February 26, 2011, 07:29:08 AM »
I counted LA in Zelda 1-4.
OoT was already broken crap the day it released.
OoT ain't got **** on LA.

Offline NWR_insanolord

• Rocket Fuel Malt Liquor....DAMN!
  • NWR Staff Pro
  • Score: -18986
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: February 26, 2011, 11:45:50 AM »
OoT was already broken crap the day it released.

You, sir, are a crazy person.
Insanolord is a terrible moderator.

J.P. Corbran
NWR Community Manager and Soccer Correspondent

Offline Crimm

• Get your unfiltered Bowsette here!
  • NWR Staff Pro
  • Score: 1147
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: February 26, 2011, 01:36:46 PM »
FISTS OF IRON

James Jones
Mondo Editor
Nintendo World Report

Offline MegaByte

• NWR Staff Pro
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: February 26, 2011, 01:43:47 PM »
Wrists getting hit hard lately.
Aaron Kaluszka

Offline TurdFurgy

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: February 28, 2011, 11:53:29 PM »
Where dem forthcoming pictures at?

Offline Caseyfam

• View Profile
« Reply #22 on: March 08, 2011, 09:55:20 PM »
Um, did you guys decide the winner yet? :)

Offline TurdFurgy

• View Profile
« Reply #23 on: March 08, 2011, 10:02:11 PM »
Um, did you guys decide the winner yet? :)

Yes they did, in my dreams.
Last night I dreamed that there were three winners announced, none of which were me :(
« Last Edit: March 16, 2011, 04:32:31 PM by TurdFurgy »

Offline TurdFurgy

• View Profile
« Reply #24 on: March 16, 2011, 04:38:20 PM »
O.K., due course was yesterday. Who won? :)