Author Topic: What do you want with the Wii U virtual console.  (Read 11363 times)

Offline pokepal148

• Inquire within for reasonable rates.
  • Score: -9967
    • View Profile
What do you want with the Wii U virtual console.
« on: April 12, 2013, 08:19:11 PM »
for me, outside of systems like the Dreamcast and Gamecube, i want a new Classic Controller redesign based on the original... two more face buttons and slightly better erogonomics(in a way that retains a more classic feel) along with the ability to map the buttons(which i believe you can already do)

but this controller would exclusively hold the ability to have turbo buttons(along with the ability fastforward/slowmotion setup) in virtual console games.

what do you guys want?

Offline TJ Spyke

• Ass
  • Score: -1350
    • View Profile
    • Spyke Shop
Re: What do you want with the Wii U virtual console.
« Reply #1 on: April 12, 2013, 08:35:35 PM »
Um, why would you need two more face buttons? The Classic Controller already has enough face buttons to emulate almost every controller. And the Classic Controller Pro feels pretty good. I actually think its pretty good already. Maybe make the analog sticks clickable, but that's it IMO.
Help out a poor college student, buy video games and Blu-ray Discs at: http://astore.amazon.com/spyke-20

Offline pokepal148

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 12, 2013, 08:39:42 PM »
Um, why would you need two more face buttons? The Classic Controller already has enough face buttons to emulate almost every controller. And the Classic Controller Pro feels pretty good. I actually think its pretty good already. Maybe make the analog sticks clickable, but that's it IMO.
sega genesis and saturn say hi(street fighter 2)
its more buttons to map stuff on...

Offline nickmitch

• You can edit these yourself now?!
  • Score: 82
    • View Profile
    • FACEBOOK!
« Reply #3 on: April 12, 2013, 08:40:43 PM »
I guess the extra buttons could be neat. Better for N64 games and those few Genesis games. But I think the rest of the superflous button controllers were kinda unnecessary. Probably not worth another 40-60 dollar purchase.
TVman is dead. I killed him and took his posts.

Offline TJ Spyke

• Ass
    • View Profile
    • Spyke Shop
« Reply #4 on: April 12, 2013, 08:49:54 PM »
The normal Genesis controller had 3 buttons. Of the 915 Genesis games released, only 62 even supported the 6-button one (meaning functions for more than 3 of them), I don't know if any of those 62 required it. Besides, the Classic Controller has several should buttons (which is what the SNES used), same with Saturn. You cite Street Fighter II, which was most popular on the SNES (i.e. the controller that the Classic Controller is modeled on).

And as for N64 games, the right analog stick can handle the C-buttons/
Help out a poor college student, buy video games and Blu-ray Discs at: http://astore.amazon.com/spyke-20

Offline Seacor

• Score: 20
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 12, 2013, 09:00:27 PM »
A huge library of games all available at the same time.
"Do you expect me to talk?"
"No, Mr. Bond. I expect you to die."

Offline pokepal148

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 12, 2013, 09:44:09 PM »
The normal Genesis controller had 3 buttons. Of the 915 Genesis games released, only 62 even supported the 6-button one (meaning functions for more than 3 of them), I don't know if any of those 62 required it. Besides, the Classic Controller has several should buttons (which is what the SNES used), same with Saturn. You cite Street Fighter II, which was most popular on the SNES (i.e. the controller that the Classic Controller is modeled on).

it's called button mapping, those extra two buttons can be mapped to do things like save or load restore points, some people may prefer the authentic 6 buttons over a joystick substitute... its more about enhancing the vc experience here

Offline Shaymin

• Not my circus, not my monkeys
  • NWR Staff
  • Score: 70
    • View Profile
    • You're on it
« Reply #7 on: April 12, 2013, 09:48:38 PM »
For it to exist formally, aside from the drip-feeding of cheapies.
Donald Theriault - News Editor, Nintendo World Report / 2016 Nintendo World Champion
Tutorial box out.

Offline TJ Spyke

• Ass
    • View Profile
    • Spyke Shop
« Reply #8 on: April 12, 2013, 09:59:52 PM »

it's called button mapping, those extra two buttons can be mapped to do things like save or load restore points, some people may prefer the authentic 6 buttons over a joystick substitute... its more about enhancing the vc experience here

Just like to point out, but there is no need for seperate buttons for save or restore points. Those can be handled the same way the 3DS does, hitting the Start buttong and selecting it.

And the only successful system to use 6 face buttons was the Genesis and only 6% of its games even supported it.

Offline alegoicoe

• Score: -1
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 12, 2013, 10:35:36 PM »
Everything but the original wii virtual console download animation; that **** was annoying ;D
Nintendo Network ID: LivByDCreed
Switch Friend Code: SW-4906-9561-1308

Offline UncleBob

• (PATRON)
  • NWR Junior Ranger
  • Score: 98
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 12, 2013, 10:58:42 PM »
Online play.
Just some random guy on the internet who has a different opinion of games than you.

Offline ShyGuy

• Fight Me!
  • Score: -9660
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 12, 2013, 11:06:41 PM »
Convert the entire Wii Virtual console roster over.

for Gamecube give me Eternal Darkness, PN03, Viewtiful Joe, Odama...

Offline MagicCow64

• Still no title
  • Score: 9
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 13, 2013, 12:47:05 AM »
Everything but the original wii virtual console download animation; that **** was annoying ;D

I bought Motoheroz one time, but for some bizarre reason it wouldn't download correctly. I ended up on the phone with NOA customer service for 30 minutes, trying to download it over and over again, always failing. Then, out of options, the guy on the phone said to try it one more time before he'd register it as a refund. The download animation was Mario and Luigi swimming around the screen, which I'd never seen before in five years. And then the download worked! Blew my fucking mind.

Offline Kytim89

• Only question I ever thought was hard was do I like Kirk or do I like Picard?
  • Score: -156
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 13, 2013, 01:51:18 AM »
I feel as though this topic was created just for me. Here is a list of what I want from the Virtual Console:
  • Gamecube, SEGA Dreamcast, Saturn and CD support.
  • More licensed games.
  • Discounts and sales similar to the Steam model.
  • Unified system account between the 3DS and Wii U allowing console VC games to be playable on the handheld.
  • Faster download times.
  • Stronger support from Konami and for the N64.
  • (Rare titles) ;)
Please follow me on Twitter at: Kytim89.

Offline azeke

• He's ruining Splatfest for the rest of us
  • Score: 11
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 13, 2013, 02:21:10 AM »
Online play.
First two weeks after SF2 Champinship edition launched, i could find some people playing online.

Now it's just wind and tumbleweed...

PS is anyone up for a match of SF2 or two, btw?

As to my VC wishes -- convert ENTIRE library please. I want to free all of my stuff from "wii mode" ghetto. And not just VC, WiiWare too please. And eliminate wii fridge problem while you're at it, i'd play a lot more wiiware games then (still have to finish Motoheroz and few others).
Winners don't hate and W101 rocks

Offline S-U-P-E-R

• My Butt is Ready :reggie;
  • Score: -63
    • View Profile
    • oh my god
« Reply #15 on: April 13, 2013, 03:21:52 AM »
Online play, leaderboards. And yeah, four face buttons is pretty weak.

I'll play SF2 with you on 360, PS3, or PC if we can get a good ping ;)

Offline azeke

• He's ruining Splatfest for the rest of us
  • Score: 11
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: April 13, 2013, 03:34:21 AM »
I'll play SF2 with you on 360, PS3, or PC if we can get a good ping ;)
Sure thing, buy me SF2 online on 360.
Or buy me SF2 online on PS3 AND a PS3 ;)
Winners don't hate and W101 rocks

Offline S-U-P-E-R

• My Butt is Ready :reggie;
  • Score: -63
    • View Profile
    • oh my god
« Reply #17 on: April 13, 2013, 03:37:25 AM »
Check out the GGPO client for PC! it's free

Offline alegoicoe

• Score: -1
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: April 13, 2013, 03:59:03 AM »

I bought Motoheroz one time, but for some bizarre reason it wouldn't download correctly. I ended up on the phone with NOA customer service for 30 minutes, trying to download it over and over again, always failing. Then, out of options, the guy on the phone said to try it one more time before he'd register it as a refund. The download animation was Mario and Luigi swimming around the screen, which I'd never seen before in five years. And then the download worked! Blew my fucking mind.

I remember when i first got the wii on launch day that the first thing i did before playing Wii sports was to try and download the first batch of virtual console titles, games would take ages to download and that stupid coin sound, ****. But well, thats the past, I hope Nintendo takes Virtual Console seriously and step up their game by bringing gamecube and dreamcast games to the service.
Nintendo Network ID: LivByDCreed
Switch Friend Code: SW-4906-9561-1308

Offline BranDonk Kong

• Eat your f'ing cat!
  • Score: 10131
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: April 13, 2013, 08:39:29 AM »
If they release N64 games, unless they remap the controls ahead of time, then we need an N64 Wii U controller. I do not like using the C-buttons with an analog stick - it feels like you're using an emulator and not playing the game when it was designed using a real N64 controller.
I think it says on the box, 'No Hispanics' " - Jeff Green of EA

Offline Adrock

• Chill, Valentine
  • Score: 138
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: April 13, 2013, 08:51:19 AM »
Probably asking too much, but two GamePad support for multiplayer off-screen play.

Offline smallsharkbigbite

• Score: -7
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: April 13, 2013, 10:46:47 AM »
As for the genesis controller, does the Wii U use the Wii classic controller for VC games?  I just question that, because I even think there were articles on this site that mentioned reputable people that sold genesis (and all classic system) controllers that would plug into a wii remote and be available for games.  Not the cheapest thing in the world, but I really doubt that Nintendo will replicate controllers from Sega systems. 

I wish there were more rewards, and I wish it was available already.  It's nice that you can use club nintendo points on select games, but I wish they would do like a buy 3 get 1 free or somekind of reward for using the service.  And I appreciate $.30 games, but it's annoying that the service can't be used yet (except for those games) because there aren't many Wii U games worth playing at this time.  When the games release I'll be playing Pikmin 3 (hopefully). 

Offline shingi_70

• Google shill
  • Score: -88
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: April 14, 2013, 10:58:38 AM »
Games frist and foremost.  Gamecube games and online play I guess.
3DS friendcode: 3093-7342-3454
xbl gamertag : Shingi the 70

Offline broodwars

• Hunting for a Pineapple Salad
  • Score: -1011
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: April 15, 2013, 10:13:50 AM »
I do want GameCube games on the Wii U Virtual Console, but before that I wish they would get more SNES and N64 games on the service (especially considering the Wii U Virtual Console won't even be launching with N64 games).  Most notably, we're still missing notable SNES games from Square-Enix, and I don't care what Nintendo has to do to get them: Lufia 1 & 2, Illusion of Gaia, and Terranigma.

We're also still missing the original Star Fox, Earthbound, and Yoshi's Island from Nintendo, which Nintendo could probably figure out how to get working via emulation if they really gave a damn about the VC.

If Disney is feeling more generous these days about re-releasing their old games, I'd like to get both versions of Aladdin and The Lion King on the SNES/Genesis.  There's also all the old Capcom Disney games on the NES, but those are probably being held for HD remakes pending the success or failure of the DuckTales remake.

Unfortunately, once you reach the N64 and GameCube, the most interesting games I'd like to see are from 3rd parties, and they've been the most reluctant to support VC.  For instance, I'd like to see Castlevania: Legacy of Darkness and Hybrid Heaven N64 games from Konami.  We also have 4 Rare N64 games and one GameCube game that seem to be in some kind of limbo right now that Nintendo may still hold the rights to re-release: Blast Corps, Jet Force Gemini, Diddy Kong Racing, Donkey Kong 64 (yes, for all its many faults I did like that game back in the day), and Star Fox Adventures.

On the GameCube side, I'd definitely like to see Skies of Arcadia Legends get released on VC from SEGA.  There's also Silicon Knights' Eternal Darkness, Namco-Bandai's Tales of Symphonia, and both of Monolith's Baten Kaitos games.  And that's just a start on the GameCube side.

On a sidenote, these games are a big question mark right now because of the whole debacle with the fall of LucasArts, but I'd like to get the two Rogue Squadron games + Battle for Naboo on VC.  The VC version of Rogue Leader would require some retooling to get around the Wii U not having analog shoulder triggers, but it should be possible.
« Last Edit: April 15, 2013, 12:50:39 PM by broodwars »
There was a Signature here. It's gone now.

Offline Ceric

• Once killed four Deviljho in one hunt
  • Score: 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: April 15, 2013, 10:29:33 AM »
I like Day One, Everything on the 3DS and Wii Virtual Console available.
Then I like regular updates that consist of more then 1 or 2 games a week on a great week.
A central Emulator per console so we only have to download roms.
Online Multiplayer with Friends using said central Emulator.

Now What I will get:
I trickling out of games that were already on the Wii Virtual Console for the Life of the Console.

Oh, also I really doubt Nintendo has any serious claim to Blastcorp and Jet Force Gemini considering what happened with Killer Instinct and Perfect Dark.
« Last Edit: April 15, 2013, 10:32:03 AM by Ceric »
Need a Personal NonCitizen-Magical-Elf-Boy-Child-Game-Abused-King-Kratos-Play-Thing Crimm Unmaker-of-Worlds-Hunter-Of-Boxes
so, I don't have to edit as Much.