Author Topic: Next Skylanders Game Announced for Three Nintendo Platforms, Features Reconfigurable Toys  (Read 2421 times)

Offline Killer_Man_Jaro

• NWR Staff
  • Score: 22
    • View Profile

This time, it's all about 'swapability'... if that even is a word.

http://www.nintendoworldreport.com/news/33215

Skylanders SWAP Force, the latest instalment in Activision's "toys to life" franchise, has been confirmed for release on Wii U, 3DS and Wii later this year.

The signature feature for this game is the addition of 16 new SWAP Force Skylanders. Each of these figurines can split into two halves, and one half of any one toy can be attached to another half of any other toy in the SWAP Force line. These hybrid creations will then appear in-game when placed on the Portal of Power. All in all, around 250 unique combinations are possible if the player owns all 16 SWAP Force figurines.

On top of this, 40 regular Skylanders will be made available for the game. 16 of them are completely new characters, eight are new LightCore figures and the remaining 16 are remastered versions of characters from Skylanders: Spyro's Adventure and Skylanders Giants. All of the figures from the previous two games shall, of course, be compatible with the new game.

Gameplay-wise, the only details given so far about SWAP Force is that it will take place on Cloudbreak Islands and for the first time in a home console Skylanders game, characters will have the ability to jump, creating the potential for platforming levels.

Vicarious Visions is overseeing development on Wii U, whilst the 3DS version is being handled by n-Space. Spiderman stalwart Beenox, meanwhile, is developing the Wii version.

Specific release information has not yet been revealed, but Activision did confirm that Skylanders SWAP Force will make its first appearance at Toy Fair 2013 in New York City this month.

Tom Malina
UK Correspondent
-----------------------------
"You'll have to speak up, I'm wearing a towel."

Offline Ceric

• Once killed four Deviljho in one hunt
  • Score: 0
    • View Profile
"... and for the first time in the series, characters will have the ability to jump."

That is a false statement.  Skylanders 3DS characters could and did jump.  If Swap Force is like the original 3DS Skylander which was made by Vicarious Vision then I'm excited for this game.  If its like the baby down last one I'll pass.
Need a Personal NonCitizen-Magical-Elf-Boy-Child-Game-Abused-King-Kratos-Play-Thing Crimm Unmaker-of-Worlds-Hunter-Of-Boxes
so, I don't have to edit as Much.

Offline ShyGuy

• Fight Me!
  • Score: -9660
    • View Profile
Hey Vicarious Visions! Use the NFC in the Wii U gamepad!

Offline lolmonade

• I wanna ride dolphins with you in the moonlight until the staff at Sea World kicks us out
  • Score: 29
    • View Profile
I may try to convince my wife to take a "wait and see" approach with this game.  She's obsessive about Skylanders, but it's hit my wallet pretty hard.  As much fun as i've had with the first two games, I'd really have to be impressed with the changes they make in the game to warrant buying another $60 game with 16 swappable skylanders that I assume will cost as much as the giants. 

Also, if the platforming elements of this new game were as sloppy as the 3DS games, then it'll really de-incentivize me from purchasing it for full price.  I dreaded any part of the 3DS game where you had to jump over a gap, because it almost always was a certanty i'd fall into a pit and lose health. 

I don't personally want to see the console series deviate too far from a Gauntlet-esque game.

Offline Ceric

• View Profile
I may try to convince my wife to take a "wait and see" approach with this game.  She's obsessive about Skylanders, but it's hit my wallet pretty hard.  As much fun as i've had with the first two games, I'd really have to be impressed with the changes they make in the game to warrant buying another $60 game with 16 swappable skylanders that I assume will cost as much as the giants. 

Also, if the platforming elements of this new game were as sloppy as the 3DS games, then it'll really de-incentivize me from purchasing it for full price.  I dreaded any part of the 3DS game where you had to jump over a gap, because it almost always was a certanty i'd fall into a pit and lose health. 

I don't personally want to see the console series deviate too far from a Gauntlet-esque game.
The original 3DS game the jumping I thought was pretty spot on for a 3D Platformer.
Need a Personal NonCitizen-Magical-Elf-Boy-Child-Game-Abused-King-Kratos-Play-Thing Crimm Unmaker-of-Worlds-Hunter-Of-Boxes

Offline Mop it up

• And I've gotta say...
  • Score: 125
    • View Profile
I find it funny how jumping is being advertised as one of the game's big new features.

Offline UncleBob

• (PATRON)
  • NWR Junior Ranger
  • Score: 98
    • View Profile
It *is* funny... but it also shows that, surprisingly, Activision *is* listening to fans.  The lack of jumping has been one of the biggest complaints about the series - so, not only did they add it, but they're shouting about it from the rooftops.

I wonder if it's just crazy random happenstance that VV made the first 3DS game, which had jumping... and now, they're taking the lead on the console version... and it has jumping.
Just some random guy on the internet who has a different opinion of games than you.

Offline Ceric

• View Profile
I'm all for a console version of the original 3DS game.

Offline pokepal148

• Inquire within for reasonable rates.
  • Score: -9967
    • View Profile
does it come with a little box you put money in to have it systematically incinerated??

i am avoiding this series like the black plague because its what turned spyro the dragon(a series i grew up with and still enjoy on the ps1) into a freaking action figure.
« Last Edit: February 05, 2013, 08:25:32 PM by pokepal148 »

Offline Ceric

• View Profile
does it come with a little box you put money in to have it systematically incinerated??

i am avoiding this series like the black plague because its what turned spyro the dragon(a series i grew up with and still enjoy on the ps1) into a better game.
Fixed that for ya.

Offline pokepal148

• View Profile
although i doubt its the lowest point in terms of gameplay(i doubt it reached the lows of enter the dragonfly) the action figure thing just kills me after the hell the franchise has dealt with
and this is basically  a grudge dating to the moment insomniac lost the liscence, activision is the latest in a long line...
but play the first three games, i feel they were great platformers for the time(and to today its an underrated gem having been overshadowed by more iconic platformers of the era) i do suggest the third one more then the second(contentwise)

Offline lolmonade

• I wanna ride dolphins with you in the moonlight until the staff at Sea World kicks us out
  • Score: 29
    • View Profile
although i doubt its the lowest point in terms of gameplay(i doubt it reached the lows of enter the dragonfly) the action figure thing just kills me after the hell the franchise has dealt with
and this is basically  a grudge dating to the moment insomniac lost the liscence, activision is the latest in a long line...
but play the first three games, i feel they were great platformers for the time(and to today its an underrated gem having been overshadowed by more iconic platformers of the era) i do suggest the third one more then the second(contentwise)

Skylanders is the first thing Spyro's been in that has been good since the Playstation 1 games.  I own the first Spyro game and agree it was fun, but i'd rather they tack Spyro into this series than continue creating the abominations they had been making with his Character lately. 

Offline UncleBob

• (PATRON)
  • NWR Junior Ranger
  • Score: 98
    • View Profile
Ted Price, the man who founded Insomniac and created Spyro, has gone on record that he thinks the Skylanders games are the best Spyro games since the original three that his company made - and said that the other games were "disheartening" or something of the like.
Just some random guy on the internet who has a different opinion of games than you.

Offline pokepal148

• View Profile
yeah but im still not biting here