Author Topic: WTF endings for classic games  (Read 16024 times)

Offline ejamer

• Does he even know Khushrenada?!?
  • Score: 24
    • View Profile
WTF endings for classic games
« on: October 28, 2019, 11:48:28 AM »
My kids are into Michael Jackson right now (because it's Halloween, so Thriller has been on rotation and they thought the cinematic quality of his videos was great and wanted to see more).  When I mentioned that he had a Genesis game (because we are also playing Genesis Mini lately), they wanted to see what it was all about.

A YouTube search resulted in lots of laughter, as they quickly recognized the Smooth Criminal video in digital format. Even better was the end of each level when you Jackson's face and he screams just a little bit. Hilarious enough that my kids wanted to see (only) the end of each level.

Holy cow. Did anyone here play that game, and if so, did you see the ending? Normally Jackson dances to defeat all of the baddies when the level ends, and then dances his was into the next stage. But when the game comes to an end he instead transforms into a giant, lethal robot, blows up all bad guys in the area, then flies into space for a first-person shoot out with the big boss. Super weird and unexpected!

Anyway, that got me thinking. What games (classic or otherwise) have you played where things seemed normal enough until the ending and then things went off the rails into crazy-ville?
NNID: ejamer

Offline pokepal148

• Inquire within for reasonable rates.
  • Score: -9967
    • View Profile
Re: WTF endings for classic games
« Reply #1 on: October 28, 2019, 03:53:28 PM »
Yeah, the WTF part is around the two minute mark.

link

Offline ejamer

• Does he even know Khushrenada?!?
  • Score: 24
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 28, 2019, 09:02:37 PM »
Yeah, the WTF part is around the two minute mark.

Hahaha... I just played and beat that game last week. Yep, it was an odd final moment for the credits sequence, but made me laugh!  :D
NNID: ejamer

Offline lolmonade

• I wanna ride dolphins with you in the moonlight until the staff at Sea World kicks us out
  • Score: 29
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 29, 2019, 02:40:29 PM »
I don't know how novel it truly was, but it blew my mind playing Streets of Rage as a kid and seeing you could choose to fight your partner to the death .  Was a WTF moment to me at the time.

Offline BeautifulShy

• Shifting my body across the galaxy
  • Score: 79
    • View Profile
    • My streaming page.
« Reply #4 on: October 30, 2019, 02:41:54 AM »
In reference to the Michael Jackson turning into a robot at the end that was a callback to his movie Moonwalker where that happened.

As to WTF endings that I have played I guess I would have to say is Super Mario Bros 2 for the NES.  Like the whole thing was a dream.  I didn't expect that.

Maxi is dead. I killed him and took his posts and changed genders.
Alexis, she/her/Miss

Quote by Khushrenada in Safe Words 15.
I'm happy with thinking pokepal148 is just eating a stick of butter. It seems about right for him. I don't need no stinking facts.

Offline pokepal148

• Inquire within for reasonable rates.
  • Score: -9967
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 30, 2019, 03:46:12 AM »

Offline BeautifulShy

• Shifting my body across the galaxy
  • Score: 79
    • View Profile
    • My streaming page.
« Reply #6 on: October 30, 2019, 01:27:12 PM »
Silent Hill 2... That is all.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GUDcSeUvkOw
« Last Edit: October 30, 2019, 01:53:10 PM by BeautifulShy »
Maxi is dead. I killed him and took his posts and changed genders.
Alexis, she/her/Miss

Quote by Khushrenada in Safe Words 15.
I'm happy with thinking pokepal148 is just eating a stick of butter. It seems about right for him. I don't need no stinking facts.