Author Topic: Some things I need to get off my chest about Wii  (Read 12445 times)

Offline Spak-Spang

• The Frightened Fox
  • Score: 39
    • View Profile
    • MirandaNew.com
RE: Some things I need to get off my chest about Wii
« Reply #25 on: April 28, 2006, 01:55:55 PM »
Ian:  That just sounds dirty...and I always thought you were above that.

Either that or it only sounds dirty because I am not above that.

(This coming from someone who supports the name.)

Offline Ian Sane

• Champion for Urban Champion
  • Score: 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: April 28, 2006, 02:04:49 PM »
"Ian: That just sounds dirty...and I always thought you were above that.

Either that or it only sounds dirty because I am not above that."

Fine we'll change it to...

If I can't get Mario on my Revolution I'm going to absolutely FREAK!

If I can't get Mario on my DS I'm going to absolutely FREAK!

If I can't get Mario on my Gamecube I'm going to absolutely FREAK!

If I can't get Mario on my GBA I'm going to absolutely FREAK!

Funny how with those names the sentence isn't so crude.

Offline Hostile Creation

• Hydra-Wata
  • Score: 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: April 28, 2006, 02:11:37 PM »
I still don't understand this new surge in suddenly having to know what every brand name ever means.  As if that's ever the case.
HC: Honourary Aussie<BR>Originally posted by: ThePerm<BR>
YOUR IWATA AVATAR LOOKS LIKE A REAL HOSTILE CREATION!!!!!<BR><BR>only someone with leoperd print sheets could produce such an image!!!<BR>

Offline Koopa Troopa

• Score: 0
    • View Profile
RE:Some things I need to get off my chest about Wii
« Reply #28 on: April 28, 2006, 03:29:32 PM »

Originally posted by: Spak-Spang

Keep the cute and fun toon iis doing things....and literally have them doing EVERYTHING.

Eating Out
Going to the Spa
Dodging Weapons
Playing Tennis
Doing Crossword Puzzles
Watching a Movie
Cooking

Slogans could include:

"Meet Wii."

"Wii Live"

"Wii Play"

"Wii Cook"

This would literally start a huge hype and brand recognition campaign that would be huge.

Here's one for ya...

"Nintendo Wii. Drink it all in."

"Plan Your Strategy. Build an Army. Trust No One."

Offline PaLaDiN

• I'm your new travel agent!
  • Score: 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: April 28, 2006, 04:04:13 PM »
Except that, well, the way Wii has been used so far...

"If I can't get Mario on Wii I'm going to absolutely FREAK!"

Sorry, you've got nothing.
<BR><BR>It shone, pale as bone, <BR>As I stood there alone...

Offline nemo_83

• Dream Master
  • Score: -1
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: April 28, 2006, 04:08:10 PM »
Life is like a hurricane-- here in Duckburg

Offline DolphENDO

• View Profile
« Reply #31 on: April 29, 2006, 11:54:22 AM »

Originally posted by: RickPowers
and Joe isn't walking into a store and asking for Mario on Wii.  He won't care how easy it is to say, or what it symbolizes.  All he cares about is how silly he'll feel saying it in front of his friends, and he'll avoid that embarrassment if at all possible.

That is if Joe Mainstream is a 13 year old kid hanging around with his 13 year old friends.  But if Joe is 21 years old, hes going to walk into the store with his friends already realizing before walking in "hey, its called wii.  All jokes aside.  Let's get the game and get the hell out of here so we can play it."  And yes, there might be some chuckles, especially if the friends are PS3 or XBOX360 fans, and Joe might even feel a little awkward getting a game for a system called wii, but im willing to wager 21 year old Joe Mainstream will just laugh it off and join in.  I mean, the clerk already knows the system is called Wii.  Why get embarrassed?  Laugh it off!!  But if he gets embarrassed from that then he must have some serious self-esteem issues. Its just a name.  Another look at it is if hes getting embarrassed its because his friends are being a**holes about it, thus making them pretty bad friends.  Theres a difference between kinda making jokes at the names expense and totally embarrassing the person for buying it.

It all comes down to the games.  If the games are fun and great, then ill have to disagree with you about him avoiding the embarrassment if at all possible. Besides, Joe doesnt have to go to the store with his friends anyways.  He can go by himself like I do and im sure thousands of others do too.

Offline Arbok

• Toho Mikado
  • Score: 5
    • View Profile
    • Toho Kingdom
« Reply #32 on: April 29, 2006, 04:31:53 PM »

Originally posted by: DolphENDO
But if Joe is 21 years old, hes going to walk into the store with his friends already realizing before walking in "hey, its called wii.  All jokes aside.  Let's get the game and get the hell out of here so we can play it."  And yes, there might be some chuckles, especially if the friends are PS3 or XBOX360 fans, and Joe might even feel a little awkward getting a game for a system called wii, but im willing to wager 21 year old Joe Mainstream will just laugh it off and join in.

I'm willing to bet you don't have a clue what "joe average 21, and insecure, year olds" are like then... Seriously, you are speaking about this core demographic as if they were seniors citizens and now long immune to feeling childish in front of their peers (ok, well most of them). This is the DRINKING AGE DEMOGRAPHIC! Appearance and conception is everything. Go to a college campus and tell me how many iPods you see. Peer pressure is very much alive and I don't know where one would think that it somehow vanishes when one gets out of high school.

You also have to realize that you are looking at this like the customer has to prepare themself. Like that going into a store and looking at the systems on a shelf and going "Xbox 360", "Playstation 3" and the "Wee" would first generate a chuckle at the name, and in general be bad. That people will need time to kind of get past this aspect before purchase. To that I have to say that the name is clearly failing then. A name should NOT be a handicap, it should sizzle the product as it's marketing fluff anyway. This isn't like HD support or hardware specs, where it costs Nintendo more to support or improve those, this is something simple that should have been done right and shouldn't be evoking the level of controversy that it is.
Toho Kingdom

@romero_tk

Offline heinous_anus

• View Profile
« Reply #33 on: April 29, 2006, 05:37:35 PM »

Originally posted by: RiskyChris
Overreact much?  This name is brilliant.  The word of mouth generated by it is mind-boggling.

Yes, there's a lot of buzz around words like "Malaria" and "The Herp," also.

Seriously, though, maybe I shouldn't get so wiipy about the name.  Haha.  Wii Pii.

Offline jasonditz

• View Profile
« Reply #34 on: April 29, 2006, 05:54:47 PM »
So just tell them to take a couple shots a Jaeger before they get their wii.

You can be childish and immature well into your 50's if you play your cards right, but most people, after a couple years of college, have given up on the high school obsession with doing what the head cheerleader and the captain of the football team do.

Just an example, when I was 19, I bought a Sailor Moon soundtrack tape. I mean, I'm a guy, and I bought a pink cassette tape from the mall near my college, with a picture of a female cartoon character on the front (and this is before Anime had any pretense of being mainstream or accepted). I mean, I didn't brag about it to my friends or anything, but when one of them saw the case sitting on the counter and asked "is this yours?", I didn't feel some great need to lie about it or anything either.

If I could do that, and you 21 year olds can't get up the courage to go into a goddamn Best Buy and say "Gimme a Wii", you've got major issues.

Offline Hostile Creation

• Hydra-Wata
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: April 29, 2006, 05:59:32 PM »
"The Herp"

Buzz around this?  Yeah, and it's  spreading like wildfire!  Practically everyone has some, so what's wrong with this strategy?

:P
HC: Honourary Aussie<BR>Originally posted by: ThePerm<BR>
YOUR IWATA AVATAR LOOKS LIKE A REAL HOSTILE CREATION!!!!!<BR><BR>only someone with leoperd print sheets could produce such an image!!!<BR>

Offline Artimus

• View Profile
« Reply #36 on: April 29, 2006, 06:14:17 PM »
Question:

How come when people cite the negative reaction they're told that's just the internet/gaming community and 'normal' people don't associate 'wee' with any funny words, but when it comes to pro-Wiiers citing the buzz created, the fact that the internet/gaming community are the only places buzzing about it doesn't matter? It's like "OMG this is a brilliant decision, everyone on the internet is buzzing about Wii!" and then "Only the super lame internet associates this with anything bad!"

Offline cubist

• View Profile
« Reply #37 on: April 29, 2006, 06:29:54 PM »
I'm over it now.  I think the IGN podcast on the subject was just so terrible and irritating on the Wii name that I actually began to realize that this name might work.
NNID: Island_Gamer

Offline Avinash_Tyagi

• View Profile
« Reply #38 on: April 29, 2006, 06:33:04 PM »

Either that or it only sounds dirty because I am not above that.

Well I want Super Princess Peach on my Wii (Interpret that sentence as you will)  

Offline mantidor

• Score: 4
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: April 29, 2006, 06:56:07 PM »

Originally posted by: cubist
I'm over it now.  I think the IGN podcast on the subject was just so terrible and irritating on the Wii name that I actually began to realize that this name might work.

Given the name and the type of journalism IGN has, I was actually surprised there wasnt more douchbaggery going on with it.

"You borrow style elements from 20yr old scifi flicks and 10 yr old PC scifi flight shooters, and you add bump mapping and TAKE AWAY character, and you got Halo." -Pro

Offline jasonditz

• View Profile
« Reply #40 on: April 29, 2006, 07:09:54 PM »
OK, one more Wii joke.

Suppose it's a runaway success, will they name their next system Wii-Ni (Ni = Two in Japanese)?

Offline Infernal Monkey

• burly British nanny wrapped in a blender
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: April 29, 2006, 07:20:56 PM »
Hey guys there aren't enough Wii name threads on PGC okay we need some more maybe fifty more that will do.

Offline DolphENDO

• View Profile
« Reply #42 on: April 29, 2006, 07:39:48 PM »

Originally posted by: Arbok
I'm willing to bet you don't have a clue what "joe average 21, and insecure, year olds" are like then... Seriously, you are speaking about this core demographic as if they were seniors citizens and now long immune to feeling childish in front of their peers (ok, well most of them). This is the DRINKING AGE DEMOGRAPHIC! Appearance and conception is everything. Go to a college campus and tell me how many iPods you see. Peer pressure is very much alive and I don't know where one would think that it somehow vanishes when one gets out of high school.

Thinking it over, I would have to agree.  I dont really have any friends cuz all my old friends suck and I never bothered to find some new ones.  And I dont go to school.  So I dont know many peoples reactions to things like that.  But im speaking for myself.  I am 22 and that is generally how I feel.  If people are going to make fun of me cuz im getting a system called wii then thats just silly and I dont need to surround myself with people like that.  It all comes down to if im having fun or not.  If I want to get KY Jelly at walmart, and the only possible cashier to go to happends to be a female, im still gonna buy the jelly.  To me, thats a more embarrassing thing to get then a system called wii.

Offline Smash_Brother

• Let me show you my poké-balls
  • Score: 3
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: April 29, 2006, 08:45:25 PM »

Originally posted by: jasonditz
OK, one more Wii joke.

Suppose it's a runaway success, will they name their next system Wii-Ni (Ni = Two in Japanese)?

Will their online service be called "Nintendo wiifi"?

I think it will.
"OK, first we need someone to complain about something trivial. Golden or S_B should do. Then we get someone to defend the game, like Bill or Mashiro. Finally add some Unclebob or Pro666 randomness and the thread should go to hell right away." -Pap64

Offline Smash_Brother

• Let me show you my poké-balls
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: April 29, 2006, 08:55:08 PM »

Originally posted by: RiskyChris Overreact much?  This name is brilliant.  The word of mouth generated by it is mind-boggling.

First of all, this is all on internet message boards. It's irrelevant. People who weren't going to buy the Rev before sure as hell aren't going to change their mind because the name has been changed.

Originally posted by: Artimus
How come when people cite the negative reaction they're told that's just the internet/gaming community and 'normal' people don't associate 'wee' with any funny words, but when it comes to pro-Wiiers citing the buzz created, the fact that the internet/gaming community are the only places buzzing about it doesn't matter? It's like "OMG this is a brilliant decision, everyone on the internet is buzzing about Wii!" and then "Only the super lame internet associates this with anything bad!"

See, I've been wondering this right along.

It seems that people who were formerly reasonable, rational people suddenly strapped on the "Blindfold of Fanboyism" and went crazy.
"OK, first we need someone to complain about something trivial. Golden or S_B should do. Then we get someone to defend the game, like Bill or Mashiro. Finally add some Unclebob or Pro666 randomness and the thread should go to hell right away." -Pap64

Offline Arbok

• Toho Mikado
    • View Profile
    • Toho Kingdom
« Reply #45 on: April 29, 2006, 11:11:12 PM »

Originally posted by: DolphENDO
Thinking it over, I would have to agree.  I dont really have any friends cuz all my old friends suck and I never bothered to find some new ones.  And I dont go to school.

Ah god, now you made me feel all guilty about what I said... ;_;
Toho Kingdom

@romero_tk

Offline DolphENDO

• View Profile
« Reply #46 on: April 30, 2006, 05:55:11 AM »
lol dont feel guilty.  We're just having a healthy conversation is all.

Offline wandering

• BABY DAISY IS FREAKIN HAWT
    • View Profile
    • XXX FREE HOT WADAISY PICS
« Reply #47 on: April 30, 2006, 06:36:29 AM »

It seems that people who were formerly reasonable, rational people suddenly strapped on the "Blindfold of Fanboyism" and went crazy.

Because all of the arguments not in favor of Wii have been perfectly rational....

Anyway. In response to this:

I actually sort of agree with this, although Wii HAS gotten stories in all the major news outlets. NYT, BBC ("Name Swap Sparks Satire"...ugg), Washington Post, etc. But I don't think Wii has suddenly sparked a massive newfound interest in the console, no. Nintendo's E3 presentation will do that.
“...there are those who would...say, '...If I could just not have to work everyday...that would be the most wonderful life in the world.' They don't know life. Because what makes life mean something is purpose.  The battle. The struggle.  Even if you don't win it.” - Richard M. Nixon

Offline Arbok

• Toho Mikado
    • View Profile
    • Toho Kingdom
« Reply #48 on: April 30, 2006, 09:39:05 AM »

Originally posted by: wandering
...although Wii HAS gotten stories in all the major news outlets. NYT, BBC ("Name Swap Sparks Satire"...ugg), Washington Post, etc.

Well if that was there only intent, then any name change would have done that. You could call it the Nintendo 5R, or something else not very creative, and news outlets would still flood the gate ways simply because it was a change in name for a major up coming console in less than a year.
Toho Kingdom

@romero_tk

Offline IceCold

• I love you Vanilla Ice!
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: April 30, 2006, 12:07:45 PM »
No, it wouldn't have garnered as much attention as it did.. Having said that, I don't buy that all the attention will help, especially if it's negative.
"I used to sell furniture for a living. The trouble was, it was my own."
---------------------------------------------
"If your parents never had children, chances are you won't either."
----------------------------
"If it weren't for electricity we'd all be watching television by the candlelig