Author Topic: Nintendo TVii to Launch in North America December 20  (Read 3649 times)

Offline NWR_insanolord

• Rocket Fuel Malt Liquor....DAMN!
  • NWR Staff Pro
  • Score: -18986
    • View Profile
Nintendo TVii to Launch in North America December 20
« on: December 19, 2012, 09:41:31 AM »

Nintendo's video content aggregator is about to make its debut.

http://www.nintendoworldreport.com/news/32837

Nintendo TVii, the Wii U service that combines TV and video from different sources, launches in North America December 20.

The service, which includes TV listings from various cable and satellite providers, as well as content from streaming services such as Amazon Instant Video and Hulu Plus, brings content from different sources together in a single interface, and adds social functionality that allows you to interact with other users of the service.

TVii will be expanded with additional features in the future, including Netflix and TiVo integration coming in early 2013.

Insanolord is a terrible moderator.

J.P. Corbran
NWR Community Manager and Soccer Correspondent

Re: Nintendo TVii to Launch in North America December 20
« Reply #1 on: December 19, 2012, 09:49:10 AM »
Oh thank god, I was worried Nintendo would actually get something done without any problems for once.

Offline Ceric

• Once killed four Deviljho in one hunt
  • Score: 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 19, 2012, 10:24:12 AM »
Without Netflix for me its a what the point.  Wii U has a really uphill battle to win over my PS3 to be my Media box which is a shame.
Need a Personal NonCitizen-Magical-Elf-Boy-Child-Game-Abused-King-Kratos-Play-Thing Crimm Unmaker-of-Worlds-Hunter-Of-Boxes
so, I don't have to edit as Much.

Offline lolmonade

• I wanna ride dolphins with you in the moonlight until the staff at Sea World kicks us out
  • Score: 29
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 19, 2012, 10:35:22 AM »
Without Netflix for me its a what the point.  Wii U has a really uphill battle to win over my PS3 to be my Media box which is a shame.

They must have some more kinks to unwind.  I pretty much agree with you, though.  PS3 has been my dedicated "tivo/netflix" box for a while now, and while I will probably tinker with the Tvii features when it launches, this will hardly convert me to using the Wii U as our multimedia device.

In this case, I'm happy they're releasing what they have available now instead of waiting until January until it was all completed, though.

Offline Disco Stu

• Has a Fever for Saturday Night
  • Score: 5
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 19, 2012, 11:11:33 AM »
Since I don't have cable, the main reason I'm looking forward to TVii is combining Netflix and Hulu into one interface (I'm not an Amazon Prime subscriber).  So I'll play around with it tomorrow, but this won't be useful to me until next year.
I got hooked on the white stuff back in the 70s.

Offline ShyGuy

• Fight Me!
  • Score: -9660
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 19, 2012, 12:10:59 PM »
Curious about this. Im taking my Wii U home for Christmas and my parents have cable.

Offline Razorkid

• Score: 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 19, 2012, 12:46:10 PM »
I'm hoping that the omitted services will be added shortly (like January) instead of later in the new year. In this age of gaming services, I don't expect everything to be ready day one with the understanding that the service is constantly going to be improved upon. I hope Nintendo will continue the pace of improvement of its services that they've set for themselves with the WiiU until consumers (me) are completely satisfied with it.

With that said, it is exciting to be playing with another new feature of the console tomorrow.
« Last Edit: December 19, 2012, 12:48:17 PM by Razorkid »
"All the world is blind to my passing..."

Offline TJ Spyke

• Ass
  • Score: -1350
    • View Profile
    • Spyke Shop
« Reply #7 on: December 19, 2012, 12:47:29 PM »

You can still use Netflix on the Wii U through its own app, so it's not a big deal that it will be a few weeks before being integrated into Nintendo TVii.
Help out a poor college student, buy video games and Blu-ray Discs at: http://astore.amazon.com/spyke-20

Offline SonofMrPeanut

• (illegitimately)
  • Score: 8
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 19, 2012, 02:30:39 PM »

You can still use Netflix on the Wii U through its own app, so it's not a big deal that it will be a few weeks before being integrated into Nintendo TVii.

Problem being I can also watch Netflix on a dedicated app on pretty much any other device.  Until it's fused with other services in Early 2013 (hopefully January), Wii U isn't the clear front-runner as my go-to TV-Helper.

Offline Ceric

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 19, 2012, 02:41:45 PM »

Problem being I can also watch Netflix on a dedicated app on pretty much any other device.  Until it's fused with other services in Early 2013 (hopefully January), Wii U isn't the clear front-runner as my go-to TV-Helper.
This.

In my current setup I have 5 devices (including TV) that I can watch Netflix on using the TV Screen.  That's not counting the Laptop, 2 Smartphones,  and 3DS.  So effectively in my living room I can be watching 7 different shows on Netflix at any given point, Laptop, 2 Smartphones,  3DS, TV, and Gamepad.  What makes the WiiU different and Better.  At the moment it doesn't match the quality of the PS3 version of Netflix.  Doesn't match the pure features as  a media device as the PS3.  The Value add feature of TVii would be the only good reason then to use the Wii U version.
Need a Personal NonCitizen-Magical-Elf-Boy-Child-Game-Abused-King-Kratos-Play-Thing Crimm Unmaker-of-Worlds-Hunter-Of-Boxes

Offline leahsdad

• This title stolen by Rhythm Thief
  • Score: 8
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 19, 2012, 04:30:44 PM »

This.

In my current setup I have 5 devices (including TV) that I can watch Netflix on using the TV Screen.  That's not counting the Laptop, 2 Smartphones,  and 3DS.  So effectively in my living room I can be watching 7 different shows on Netflix at any given point, Laptop, 2 Smartphones,  3DS, TV, and Gamepad.  What makes the WiiU different and Better.  At the moment it doesn't match the quality of the PS3 version of Netflix.  Doesn't match the pure features as  a media device as the PS3.  The Value add feature of TVii would be the only good reason then to use the Wii U version.

I'm in the same boat, BUT have you done a real side-by-side comparison?  I've compared Netflix on Wii, Wii U, PC, 3DS, Ipad, Ipod, and AppleTV, and the Wii U and/or PC are BY FAR the best.   The streaming and browsing speed on Wii U and PC are nearly the same, which is incredible since the Wii U is in Wifi.   I don't know how that happens.

And while the Ipad/AppleTV combination is the most comparable to the Gamepad/WiiU Netflix experience, you can't browse on the Ipad's screen, and you can't switch between Ipad display and AppleTV display at all.  And of course, using your Ipad to control your AppleTV is HORRENDOUSLY SLOW and misses inputs, because the Ipad connects to your AppleTV via Wifi.  The Ipad does not have an IR blaster.  I don't know how the Gamepad communicates with the Wii U (Bluetooth, maybe, or RF?).  But those who've used it know that it is super fast.

I'm also curious:  does anyone here actually own and regularly use a DVR?  Why?   In the age of Hulu and Netflix, I can't imagine any reason other than sports to use a DVR.  It's the most ridiculous relic of the VCR age that we have.  20th century technology to make up for the greedy little hands of the TV networks and cable companies, who must know that the writing is on the wall.   

[Showing off game collection]

Oh yeah, I know I have 2 sealed copies of that game.   1 is for trading.  But people who collect Amiibos?  They really have a problem!

Offline NWR_insanolord

• Rocket Fuel Malt Liquor....DAMN!
  • NWR Staff Pro
  • Score: -18986
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 19, 2012, 04:36:28 PM »
DVRs are good for watching shows not on Hulu or Netflix. For instance, something like Breaking Bad, if you want to go week to week and not wait for the full season to go up on Netflix it's better than having to sit through commercials.
Insanolord is a terrible moderator.

J.P. Corbran
NWR Community Manager and Soccer Correspondent

Offline ShyGuy

• Fight Me!
  • Score: -9660
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 19, 2012, 04:47:30 PM »
How doesn't it match the PS3 version of Netflix? It has tablet viewing of shows, touch screen interface, easier typing for searches. What does it lack?

I have the PS3, Wii, and Wii U and I use the Wii U for Netflix.

Offline Ceric

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: December 19, 2012, 04:57:10 PM »
How doesn't it match the PS3 version of Netflix? It has tablet viewing of shows, touch screen interface, easier typing for searches. What does it lack?

I have the PS3, Wii, and Wii U and I use the Wii U for Netflix.
I found the PS3 version snappier, better looking, and having better Audio quality.  I search so rarely that the better searching and the touch screen is relatively a non-factor.  If I'm going to watch something on the tablet I'll probably just use my phone.  I like the Win Phone interface for Netflix.

I'm in the same boat, BUT have you done a real side-by-side comparison? 
Yes.
« Last Edit: December 19, 2012, 04:59:13 PM by Ceric »

Offline Jdlbk

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: December 20, 2012, 07:28:14 AM »
What time will the update go live?

Offline UncleBob

• (PATRON)
  • NWR Junior Ranger
  • Score: 98
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: December 20, 2012, 08:20:17 AM »
I'm also curious:  does anyone here actually own and regularly use a DVR?  Why?   In the age of Hulu and Netflix, I can't imagine any reason other than sports to use a DVR.  It's the most ridiculous relic of the VCR age that we have.  20th century technology to make up for the greedy little hands of the TV networks and cable companies, who must know that the writing is on the wall.   

Use it and love it.

I don't have Netflix or Hulu Plus memberships.  My wife watches a lot of crappy Food Network and Bravo shows that aren't all available though these services last time I checked.  Just set the DVR to record and watch whenever.

Not to mention, the internet we have here isn't the most reliable of things.
Just some random guy on the internet who has a different opinion of games than you.

Offline NeoThunder

• Score: -3
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: December 20, 2012, 01:56:49 PM »
So without Netflix and TiVo, what's the point?
Wii# 4120-9638-2308-7614
<BR>
<BR>Mario Kart# 3178-8705-8094
<BR>
<BR>Faith is the complete surrender and acceptence of total control

Offline TJ Spyke

• Ass
  • Score: -1350
    • View Profile
    • Spyke Shop
« Reply #17 on: December 20, 2012, 02:07:29 PM »
So without Netflix and TiVo, what's the point?

There is still Cable, Satellite, Amazon Instant Video, and Hulu Plus. So it is still worth it. Plus, it's free.
Help out a poor college student, buy video games and Blu-ray Discs at: http://astore.amazon.com/spyke-20