Author Topic: Billy Berghammer Retires From Planet GameCube.com  (Read 24229 times)

Offline dbzman645

• Score: 0
    • View Profile
Billy Berghammer Retires From Planet GameCube.com
« Reply #50 on: April 18, 2003, 11:54:41 AM »
Billy, it sucks to see you go : (. This site has been the best Nintendo site on the web for a long time thx to you. Your articles are always so full of honesty (if brutal at times) and life that I will gladly subscribe to GI if it means reading more of them. PGC provides the best news coverage around, and Im sure the remaining staff will do a great job of keeping the site on top. Even so, PGC wont be the same without you.

Peace out

Offline Sir Kero

• View Profile
« Reply #51 on: April 18, 2003, 11:56:01 AM »
Billy, you and your staff showed me that a gaming news site can be reliable, up to date, well written, fun to read, and free (for us readers that is), all at the same time... not to mention worth visiting daily. I'm seriously expecting you to do something similarly great with the magazine industry (not to put on any pressure or anything).

Game Informer is the only mag I've really considered subscribing to (and that's saying alot). I'm glad to see you're headed somewhere good. For a long time it seems to me they've been the least biased of the game news mags, here's hoping you can change that for the better ^_~

Offline Bullseye

• View Profile
« Reply #52 on: April 18, 2003, 12:21:28 PM »
Well I'll definitely say it's the end of an era.

I've been reading regularly since the PlanetN2000 days and I must say I have enjoyed all of it.  It's strange though because even though he is technically "gone", he really isn't.  Billy created PGC and therefore he'll always be here in spirit, and I think the spirit of PGC will always reflect that.  Anyway, here's to you Billy, you have created the best fansite I have ever seen or had the privilege to read.  In some ways I'm even more excited because now we'll have twice the Billeh - GI and PGC! Good luck to you sir, I believe I will be subscribing to GI and, of course, still reading PGC everyday.

Offline MH-001

• View Profile
« Reply #53 on: April 18, 2003, 12:23:24 PM »
Good luck.
Humans were born with the ability to be stupid. You're abusing the privelage.

Offline Byron

• View Profile
« Reply #54 on: April 18, 2003, 12:44:04 PM »
Farewell Billy.  I will miss your great editorials.

Offline Nintega

• View Profile
« Reply #55 on: April 18, 2003, 01:15:14 PM »
Thanks for starting a great website.  Good luck to you over at Game Informer and in the future.  Hope you'll still keep us updated from time to time.

Offline JoshuaSlone

• View Profile
« Reply #56 on: April 18, 2003, 01:24:29 PM »
What to say, but Congraturation!  
---------------
Town: Kafnburg
Name: Joshua

Offline DustinRiley

• View Profile
« Reply #57 on: April 18, 2003, 01:28:17 PM »
Hey Billy, I have been a frequent visitor to the site since around the time it opened. You with the help of your staff have brought this site all of the way to the status of being the best and top Nintendo website on the net. Thanks so much for PGC. I hope you have a lot of luck with your new job. I would also like to mention, Target's (the retail store) free magazine on music, video games, movies (called Bullseye) quoted you several times in their latest issue on the Game Boy Player.

« Reply #58 on: April 18, 2003, 02:03:55 PM »
Sad to see you go Billy.

It was a great accomplishment just creating this site, and to see it grow this big is amazing. Good luck with your future work, and I hope you enjoy it as much as you have with PGC.

Hope you will drop by, time to time, just to give us the info on your new job.

(On the side note. I was very shocked to hear that the staff works for FREE. I would also like to take this time to congratulate them for their great effort and time they have put into the site.)

Offline thepoga

• View Profile
« Reply #59 on: April 18, 2003, 04:05:47 PM »
Billy, you’ve been great these last few years of my life. I'd go to PGC when I get home and look up all the news items. What would I do if u hadn’t started this site. When I went to PGC for the third time yesterday (something was wrong with my internet or the site so I couldn’t post yesterday), I saw the link to your last post. I was seriously hoping that it was a joke from you, but it was a false hope. I just love the way u write and make it fun and interesting. "Word". This site has been as good and maybe better than many different magazines or websites that you have to pay for. Certainly better than Nintendo Power, which says very little about gaming news and They always sound like theyre advertising the games they review. With this site you know that it is run by real people and actual fans. Well, I wish you the best at GI and do well there. You deserve everything that you get. Well miss you, and will always remember you.

Note: you should make a little shrine for yourself in the specials section or something. It would be totally awesome.

Offline electrify12

• View Profile
« Reply #60 on: April 18, 2003, 04:17:46 PM »
All I can say is thanks, and good luck!

Offline chaos

• View Profile
« Reply #61 on: April 18, 2003, 04:19:12 PM »
I've never posted before but i think i will now, i've been visiting this site for a while now and i'd just like to say its the best on the internet and that you've done a great job and that you will be missed good luck on your new job though i dont i can subscribe as i live in Ireland. Well thanks for the great site
To The finder... the island of Koholint, is but an illusion... human, monster, sea, sky... A scene on the lid of a sleeper's eye... Awake the dreamer, and Koholint will vanish much like a bubble on a needle... Cast-Away, you should know the truth!

Offline Mario

• IWATA BOAT!?
  • Score: 8
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: April 18, 2003, 04:26:04 PM »
Wow. Good luck working for GI, i wish you all the best. Congrats for making PGC what it is today, its easily the best Nintendo site on the net. Thanks for making Planet GameCube such a great site and good luck.

Offline NickNiteQ93

• View Profile
« Reply #63 on: April 18, 2003, 04:26:59 PM »
Billy, never knew you, but you're a cool cat in my book.  I like the personal feeling of site better than the corporate ones.  You actually let us know how you felt leaving and all, usually don't even get a goodbye from corporates.  I'm in radio too, no idea what made you change the lifestyle tho, dude.  lol  But hey remember what my quote says always.  Rock out with your johnson out.
I think, therefore I wish.  I wish, therefore I'll never get.          

Life is long and hard, so rock out with your cock out.

Nobody is perfect. I am Nobody. Therefore I am perfect.

Offline Patch

• View Profile
« Reply #64 on: April 18, 2003, 04:43:27 PM »
Wow, the end of an era, really. Billy, as a reader since the humble days of 'HQ', I shed a tear, and salute you on your way out.

You've done more for Nintendo fans all around the globe than Nintendo themselves, in some cases. This site is testament to your abilities as a writer and director, and I really hope the site can live on without you.

You were the glue in the cracks of the PGC. Billy, Thank you for everything, and God bless.

*salutes*

*cries*
Ex-Editor at GameBiz!
Ex-Editor of Xbox AU!
Freelance writer for-hire; self-proclaimed sexologist.

"...Do not fold, spindl

Offline Robageejammin

• Score: 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: April 18, 2003, 05:14:38 PM »
I am in complete shock at this moment... It never crossed my mind that this would ever happen. I'm not sure how to say goodbye to you. You've done so much for us....and left us so many memories. You will be missed beyond your belief. There are so many people that look up to you, including myself. You may not realize it, but by doing what you do, you have become a role model and a big brother to all of us. The excitement, faith, and love for Nintendo that you have has made me a stronger fan. It really is an amazing thing. I hope the people at Game Informer know how incredibly fortunate they are to have you. If not, they definitely will. I'll never forget your interviews, or when your shoulder popped out at E3, or when I was a newbie at PSO and I mistakenley stole your saber....great times. I hope you know you will be truly missed. I hope that you'll stop by now and then in the forums. You've made it to the big league man, go show 'em what you're made of...we all believe in you.

Forever fan,
Michael Pugliese
"Luigi is the dreamy, comical poster boy of the Smash series, and everywhere he goes his slightly awkward presence is felt."
- Sakurai

Offline Sean-GCA

• View Profile
« Reply #66 on: April 18, 2003, 05:53:26 PM »
Wow this sure took me by surprise. Best of luck bro. I hope to see you once again at E3. You have left the site in very good hands! We did a little send off at GCAdvanced.com for you! Best of luck!

Offline Ace

• View Profile
« Reply #67 on: April 18, 2003, 07:07:12 PM »
Billy, I've been reading this site for at least 3 years now, and even though I haven't been as vocal as other members of the PGC Forum, I will miss you just as much as they will.  Even though you'll have that big cushie job at Game Informer, you'll be sure to visit us in the forums every once in a while right?
You say fanboy like it's a bad thing

Offline Okiva77

• View Profile
« Reply #68 on: April 18, 2003, 08:36:05 PM »
BILLEH!!! Nooo!!!

I've been a very devoted fan of PGC for a few years now. It's my FIRST stop for up to the minute and honest Nintendo news. I don't know you, but I very much have appreciated your efforts. It's guys like you that make dorks like me secure in our passions.....
...too bad I don't much care for Game Informer. Hey Billy, now that you're on that team, can you make sure the reviews are more coherent and the that there are less grammatical errors? And fix up the lay out please. If only you could work for EGM. Ah, piss. Good luck from California!
AC info
Town:Zanzibar
Character:Johnny

"i'm walking through the desert, and i am not frightened
although it's hot.
i have all that i requested, and
i do not want what i haven't got."

(god bless you, sinead)

Offline Uncle Rich AiAi

• Abandoner
    • View Profile
« Reply #69 on: April 18, 2003, 08:54:47 PM »
i didn't see this coming.  thanks for everything billy.  i being visiting PCG for over a year now and it's my #1 gaming site. all the best of luck at your new job.

BTW, is Louie still the rumors editor?

Offline ScaredAndAfraid

• View Profile
« Reply #70 on: April 19, 2003, 06:36:44 AM »
Well, I've been visiting since planetn2000 when I was searching for information on the "dolphin thing" Nintendo was making and I have continued to make almost daily visits (sometimes more than once a day) to keep myself updated by "the" Nintendo source. Billy, you've done a great job heading the ship and have had a great crew behind you. I have no doubt that the site is in the best of hands and will continue giving me my daily dose of N info. Thanks for the great site and best of luck to you at GI.

SAA

Offline GameCuber

• View Profile
« Reply #71 on: April 19, 2003, 08:46:00 AM »
Wow, it saddens me to see you go Billy, your the main man of this site! If i wanted to see a good truthful review, i would always turn to yours first. Ever since i heard about this site from IGN a few years back, probably around Spaceworld 2000, I've never stopped visiting. Heck, the 5 months leading up to the cube release, i bet i visited damn-near everyday!

You got my word Billy, I will always visit this site for top-quality Nintendo news no matter what. Even though it sure will be different without you, this site has always given news faster than any site i know. 24/7/365 sure lives up to its word. I wish you the best of luck in your future endeavors, whatever path you may choose, let fortune be down it.

Good-bye and Good Luck.

-Jason  
IGN boards username: GameCuber350

AC info:

name: jason
town: ZEAL

Offline yrrab436

• View Profile
« Reply #72 on: April 19, 2003, 02:33:23 PM »
As the saying goes, "All good things must come to an end."  That doesn't mean new good things can't be born though!  Great work with the site, and good luck at Game Informer!

Offline rodtod

• View Profile
« Reply #73 on: April 19, 2003, 04:31:46 PM »
Yowza.

*subscribes to Game Informer*
will the real rodtod please stand up, please stand up, please stand u-[SMACK!]

« Reply #74 on: April 20, 2003, 07:20:52 AM »
I was sad today
I imagine Billy must feel the same way I did when I beat "The Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time" for the first time.  Ya know, glad that you had accomplished the task of completing the game, but incredibly sad that it was over and even more sad that you'll never experience the same feeling again.  However, its great that he has a "real" job where he gets paid.  He'll be bling blinging so to speak.  Maybe he could donate to the site then

P.S.  definitely getting a subscribtion to Game Informer magazine now.  Just sucks that I'll be paying for news that I found out weeks before hand. Oh well, there are always reviews to look forward to.
it was time for a change.