Author Topic: Billy Berghammer Retires From Planet GameCube.com  (Read 24378 times)

Offline NewsBot

• News Posting Robot
  • Score: 0
    • View Profile
Billy Berghammer Retires From Planet GameCube.com
« on: April 17, 2003, 08:07:27 PM »
That's right folks, I'm outta here, and this is my last post.  Get the full story right here.

Attention Planet GameCube Community,

I’m officially announcing that today, April 18th,  2003, will be my last day with Planet GameCube.com.

While I’ve been running Planet GameCube for 4 years, it’s  been rather difficult to make a decent living.  I was recently offered a job to  work for Game Informer Magazine, and I have decided it’s a good time to pass the  torch on to someone else at Planet GameCube and take my career to the next  stage.

I went to college thinking I would go into psychology.  I  ended up graduating with a degree in Broadcast Journalism and a minor in  English.  At that time I was hardcore (note: music nerd) into alternative music  and really interested in radio, so I thought that would be fun.  I ended up  living a full career in radio.  I started this site in between radio jobs, but I  never would have imagined it would have led me into my new career.  It’s funny  how life turns out sometimes.

An ex-girlfriend of mine told me that this site would amount to nothing.  My  parents told me it was a waste of time. Most of my friends don’t get it at all  (they really aren’t gamers).  Personally, I never thought anything would happen  here either.  But the more people told me it was a waste, coupled with all the  challenges and struggles we faced, really made this a personal obsession.  Sure,  I still don’t know HTML that well (God bless FrontPage), and we’ve made some  mistakes here and there, but I think the current result isn’t too shabby.

Making this decision to leave was probably the hardest  thing I’ve ever had to do.  Doing this job everyday for over 4 years has been  one of the most fun and rewarding experiences that I’ve ever had in my  lifetime.  I’m not quite sure what it’s going to be like not rolling out of bed  every morning, firing up the PC, and hitting the morning news.  I think all work  environments should allow you to wear boxers and t-shirts and not have to take a  shower until about 6pm.  I really am going to miss it.  I’m going to miss being  at E3 with the staff this year; I’m going to miss the readers, trivia on Friday  nights, bullshitting with the staffers and readers at all times of the day…all  of it.  It’s been fun sharing my experiences and getting to be a total fanboy,  cultivating a community, and seeing how far you can actually take a hobby.  But  I think it’s time to move on.

While it is difficult for me to leave Planet GameCube, I am  really excited to take the next step.  The past couple months I’ve been getting  everything in place for my departure, and I did everything in my power to make  sure Planet GameCube has a secure future.  I’d like to thank the staff for their  hard work in making this transition as painless as possible.  Jonathan Metts  will be taking over as Director of Planet GameCube, and other people on staff  will be taking over the rest of my duties.  Planet GameCube will live on.  For  Christ’s sake, we survived the Internet drought, corporate screw-overs, server  problems, money problems, hackers, you name it.  I have faith in the staff that  we hired.  I still think I was blessed with the best and hardest working people  on the planet.  And remember folks, they all work for free.  So buy a shirt and DVD!  Support these guys!

Most of you out there probably think we live in some happy land that  gets everything it wants from Nintendo and all the companies that we deal with.   That couldn’t be further from the truth.  We have made great strides in the past  year or two (and we’re extremely thrilled and thankful), but in comparison to  the major corporate sites, no matter how big your numbers, it really doesn’t  matter.  We’ve had to fight for everything we’ve gotten.  I hope our support  from all these companies, and from you readers, continues to grow and expand in  the years to come.

Jonny, Rick, and Daniel are the core of the senior staff  and have a lot on their plates, but I think they can pull off the next leg in  the Planet GameCube journey.  The staff has a full load ahead of them, with E3  right around the corner.  They’ve got a lot of new stuff planned, and a bunch of  really good writers that they’re adding to the roster.  This website is capable  of amazing and wonderful things.  It’s kind of scary giving the keys to these  guys.  In a sense, I feel like I’m letting my child go to school for the first  time.  But I’d trust these people with my life.  They’ve been pretty much my  second family.  I think the staff and flavor (or flava as well call it) of  Planet GameCube is truly what has made this website stand out from the rest of  the pack.

A couple final thank yous are in order.  First and foremost  to my Mom, Dad, and my sister Stacy, thanks for dealing with the fact that I  love video games even though you don’t really understand and do not play games  at all,.  Thanks for all the quarters that cultivated this mess.  Your love and  support have not only allowed me to pull this off but have also helped me  achieve dreams that I never thought truly possible.

I’d like to thank my friends here in Minneapolis for constantly  dealing with my rantings about Nintendo or the industry, when I know damn well  you could care less when Mario Sunshine is releasing, or how awesome it is that  the Q will have a Game Boy Player.  Special thanks to my friend Ben, who takes  care of Louie on business trips and is primarily player two when I’m reviewing  games.  On that note, I’d like to thank Liquor Lyles for being the best goddamn  bar in Minneapolis with wonderful 2-for-1 drink specials, under whose influence  I often do said ranting with said friends.

Thanks to all the Team Nintendo Reps who’ve helped us with all our needs at E3  and events.  Super mad props to my boy Thom Leonard, who I’ve known since the  N64HQ days.  To all of our secret spies…well, on behalf of Louie the Cat, word  up to ya’ll.  Louie still needs you. J   Thanks for the love!  Oh yeah, by the way, I’m not firing Louie.  You may not  see Louie in pictures standing on every freaking piece of Nintendo hardware  anymore, but he’s gotta do something while I’m at work instead of crapping on my  keyboard.  And his second-favorite hobby is digging up rumors.

I’d like to thank all of our advertising partners who have  kept us alive, especially Video Game Advantage/Games For Rent, Video Game Depot,  X-Arcade, UGO, Play-Asia, and Lan Kwei.  Thank you for your support.

I’d like to thank all the staff of Golin Harris, especially  Tom Stratton, who has taken more **** from me than probably anyone in the  industry.  Thanks for all of your support and help man, you’ve really taught me  a lot, and you’ve been a great friend.

I’d like to thank Shigeru Miyamoto, everyone at Nintendo, and  third-parties, for sending us amazing hardware and games to write about.

I’d like to thank Steven Kent, Raymond Padilla, Scott  McCall, Mike Hrusecky, Yutaka Ochiboji, Justin Nation, Jonathan Metts, Rick  Powers, Ravi Hiranand, Denis Dyack, Max Lake, and Daniel Bloodworth for  inspiring me and pushing me to push the envelope.

I’d also like to thank everyone at Game Informer for being so accommodating, friendly, and welcoming.  You guys  are awesome, and I’m looking forward to working with you.

Last but definitely not least, I’d like to thank the wonderful Planet  GameCube Staff.  Thank you for your tireless effort towards making Planet  GameCube what it is today. From the people I’ve known for years, to the new guys  I just met this week, I love you all.  Keep on kickin’ ass. Keep the dream  alive!

And with that, I must say farewell.  It’s truly been an  honor and a privilege.

Word.

B

"Domo Arigato, Mr. Roboto ..."

Offline MaddenNFL64

• View Profile
« Reply #1 on: April 17, 2003, 08:29:35 PM »
I'll miss you Billy. We all will. I've been visiting this website since 2001, and I don't know if PGC will be the same without you.

Glad you found a real job though . Please tell us when you make your debut at Game Informer magazine! I'll be sure to pick up that copy.
"A Winner Is You!"

Offline Omni

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 17, 2003, 08:29:41 PM »
Congrats Billy. You deserve it. I hope you live a long and prosperous life in the Gaming Mag Indusrty. I may just get a subscription to Game Informer to read your work.

Travis  
Do I dare Disturb The Universe

Offline Berto2K

• This could be you, at E3.
  • Score: 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 17, 2003, 08:34:55 PM »
I would like to submit that Billy remains as a non-active member of the staff. He has put so much time and effort into this that he deserves all the perks. I'm sure that he will still get some as a member of the industry as a journalist, but it never hurts to have more than one connection.

I would like to thank you Billy for your efforts. I have donated money, bought a t-shirt, a japan experience double cd, a dvd from last e3, and will buy a dvd for this year as well. From the weekly scheduled trivias (where I have a total of one career point), to all the latest news, and free content, this has site been the best. Guess you will be able to participate in trivia's now and smash all of us then. Oh well, no worse for me.

Best of luck to you in your new endevours, but don't be shy to your home of the last 4 years. The boards will still be here as well as the trivias. Hope to see you around.

Robert Miller
Pietriots, we roll out to get the lol out.

Offline BlkPaladin

• Score: 9
    • View Profile
    • Minkmultimedia
« Reply #4 on: April 17, 2003, 08:38:56 PM »
I guess I'm going to have to keep my subscription up to date then. Hopefully you will stop by the forums every now and then.
Stupidity is lost on my. Then again I'm almost always lost.

Offline Berto2K

• This could be you, at E3.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 17, 2003, 08:39:34 PM »
Yes, let us know when you are debuing, that issue would be a collectors item to us.

I think this topic deserves a sticky.
Pietriots, we roll out to get the lol out.

Offline GaimeGuy

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 17, 2003, 08:39:35 PM »
So long, friend.  You've had to put up with a lot of crap: site viewers complaining about bandwidth, floodings in the chatrooms, hackers, financial problems... yet you and all of the staff have kept this place alive.  Thanks for the memories, Billy.  We won't forget you.

Stewart R. Seltz

Offline Nik Jam

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 17, 2003, 08:43:14 PM »
This is a bit shocking, since i was thinking about PGC recently, and been pondering if you'd ever retire, and I was thinking "Naaaaah" but it seems that it's true. Farewell, though I never actually got to know you much in the chatroom, maybe ill read up on the stuff you do on GI. Or meet you in an E3 several years from now. But.. alas, if I dont, that's life.

Farewell.
Nik Jam - I don't know. You tell me.

Offline nolimit19

• The Owner
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 17, 2003, 08:45:40 PM »
hey all the hard work paid off...great stuff.
A thing moderately good is not so good as it ought to be. Moderation in temper is always a virtue; but moderation in principle is always a vice.

Thomas Paine

Offline Grey Ninja

• Retired Forum Drunk
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 17, 2003, 09:40:52 PM »
I guess I might have to start buying Game Informer.  

Billy, I know that I probably got on your nerves a few times since I have started posting around here, but I will truly miss you.  I have been reading this site for years, and I just can't imagine it without your excessive spending, and unique mannerisms.  It's truly a sad day for Nintendo fans.

I hope that maybe you might come back for a cameo now and then, or at least stick around on the forums, as "one of us".  You remain very welcome amongst us of course.  
Once I had, a little game
I liked to crawl back into my brain
I think you know the game I mean

Offline olanmills

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 17, 2003, 10:28:55 PM »
Wow, this shocked me. I'm not a regular board user, but I'm a long time reader and PGC fan. I got a chance to have a short chat with Billy Berghammer at E3 2002, and, even though he probably doesn't remember me, I have to say that he's one of the nicest guys I've ever met. In planning and thinking about my trip to E3 this year, I was actually looking forward to having a chance to chat with him again as I thought about how great attending another E3 would be. Well, actually, I suppose you still will be there at E3 this year, but just not with the PGC staff.

Well, I just gotta say that PGC has struck this strange balance between professionalism and goofiness, and I'm sure that Billy was the reason that something like that could be pulled off, and be recgonized as one of the most distinguished game journalism sites in the video game world. To be honest, I'm sad to hear that you're going to Game Informer because magazines have never been able to give me enough bang for my buck, imo anyways. However, I know that you going to GI will make it a more entertaining and informative magazine.

So, good luck, and congradulations on getting an actual job doing something that you love and are really good at!

On perhaps what may be a realted note, planetgamecube.com doesn't seem to be functioning as well since this news story got posted. The servers are crying! They're sad too!

Offline Rize

• Disgruntled
  • Score: -2
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 17, 2003, 10:34:38 PM »
Damn.  Didn't see this coming.

Well, Billy, I just want to wish you the best and also say (to others here) that Game Informer is actually a pretty cool mag.  Babbages and other stores in the chain always try to con you into getting one because if you do, you get a discount card to spend on used games as well.  My subscription paid for itself easily.  

Even after years of using the internet, there's still something nice about having a magazine on your hands (especially since I really don't follow the other consoles very closely, even though I own a PS2).

Damn again.

Best of luck to you.

Offline Segnit BGS

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 17, 2003, 10:36:42 PM »
Billy,
It's cold... a smiling breeze and heaps of rain. The charge winds from the side diligently revitalize the waker.
I never knew you but strangely, I feel oddly affected by your rather abrupt departure.
A fresh cold... a smiley rain and a gust of shadow in the firm flesh.
It sort of feels like a bullet wound to the leg. You have inspired so many of us.
Never did one stop boiling.
Heck, i had no idea you inspired me until today the of 18th of April 2003.
You're like one of those people... you are Billy Berghammer.
Your humbelness and modesty will always stick with me.
The ray and the gleam clamouring... a cell.
Your enthusiasm is simply unmatched.
The air... oops I'm late for collage. Rith Essa.

Anyways man, spending half an hour writing this stuff is the least I could do for a person that has acomplished so much. I'm just glad that you're moving up the ranks. Take care and have fun, it's not all work ya know. If this were an RPG, just today, you would have leveled up enough. Read understand and live There is just so much ahead of you.
Name: Silent Hill
Favourite Song: Track (Turok 2)
Wish: PD2, GT4, MGS 3, JFG 2, F1 WGP 3 .
Updated Wish: Halo 2, The Twin

Offline Nintendo

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 17, 2003, 11:27:41 PM »
Best of luck at your new job Billy.
"What if everything you see is more than what you see - the person next to you is a warrior and the space that appears empty is a secret door to another world? What if something appears that shouldn't? You either dismiss it, or you accept that there is much more to the world than you think. Perhaps

Offline Hybrid Hunter

• First title that's onrine
  • Score: 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 18, 2003, 01:22:16 AM »
Good luck on your new adventure Billy!

Offline oohhboy

• Forum Friend or Foe?
  • Score: 38
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: April 18, 2003, 02:39:58 AM »
Let me be the first to say........ MEGATON!!!!!!!1111!1

Mad Billy has finally left the house. From the first time I came upon your site(I believe it was from Gamespot), I was bewilldered to find that it was a fansite, yet it delivers time and time again. It surpasses every other site I know for accurate, timely, Nintendo and industry wide news, all on a shoe strig buget. I would like to thank you for Spaceworld 2001 as I never really got a chance to thank you for the great experience you gave me. I propose a 21 gun text salute!

Go nuts on them Billy!
I'm Lacus. I'm fine as Lacus!
Pffh. Toilet paper? What do you think cats are for?

Offline Alkettory

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: April 18, 2003, 03:24:49 AM »

You can't leave; all the plants are gonna die!  -- John Winger, Stripes

Seriously, Billy, the news of your departure comes as a complete shock.  You've been the heart & soul of PGC ever since I started visiting the site, three years ago.  Although I know that Jonny, Rick, Daniel, and the rest of the staff will do a fine job, it just won't be the same around here without you.  I hope you stop by for an occasional visit.

Good luck with you new job, man!

Offline Kulock

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: April 18, 2003, 03:40:58 AM »
Hunter: "I did not predict this." (I know, I've probably mauled it.)

"Perhaps this is just the PGC April Fools joke, finally showing up after being delayed for so long?" That's what many of us probably thought when we first saw the strapline. It does seem a little unbelieveable. Not that PGC can't exist without Billy, but Billy has been a major heart (and the most-seen face) of it for quite a long time. I know I'm glad you got what you considered such a good job offer, and of course it makes sense to go for it, but still it'll leave a small void with us all. (Those that don't subscribe to Game Informer, anyway. It's sites like PGC that made it HARDER to wait for dead tree publications. ^_^  But you've left PGC at a strong time, with your duties properly assigned and filled by others, so I'd like to thank you for the time and dedication you've put into your site, driving it to grand levels from very humble beginnings, and I wish you the best of luck with Game Informer.

Offline Kulock

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: April 18, 2003, 03:44:28 AM »
OT: I really wish I could edit a reply in Talkback. I hate those automated smilies.

Offline joshnickerson

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: April 18, 2003, 03:52:29 AM »
Good luck, Billy, and God speed.
Ever since I found it, PGC has quickly become my favorite gaming site, even surpassing IGN.
I never bothered to read Game Informer before, but now I guess I'll be picking up a few issues.

Offline Tman

• View Profile
« Reply #20 on: April 18, 2003, 05:15:19 AM »
I guess i will have to renew my subsciption to game informer.

Offline JoeSmashBro

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: April 18, 2003, 05:15:58 AM »
I suddenly feel the urge to actually pay for a print magazine.
-Joe
"If the guests give you their coats, hang them in the closet!"
AIM: WhatJoeSays

Offline manunited4eva22

• Got 1337?
  • Score: 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: April 18, 2003, 05:28:14 AM »
Woah......really at a loss for words

Good luck Billy, now I have to buy a magazine again though....damn

Offline NWR_Lindy

• Famous Rapper
  • NWR Staff Pro
  • Score: 14
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: April 18, 2003, 06:03:49 AM »
Hey Billy, good score man.  Great to see some of the PGC peeps moving up in the world.  It was great hanging with you, Jonny and Max at E3 2001.  I can't wait to see your first print interview with Miyamoto...go get'em boy!

silks
Jon Lindemann
Contributing Editor, Nintendo World Report

My Game Backlog

Offline rpglover

• View Profile
« Reply #24 on: April 18, 2003, 06:24:25 AM »
i love this web site- but now you are leaving- its kind of sad
this site became my only nintendo site thanks to you
i guess i will have to fork over the money to get game informer- hopefully you bring some good things to the magazine
i expect good things from it
well good luck there- hope it all goes smoothly
best wishes
i call the big one bitey.