Author Topic: Midway losses, Blames Nintendo- less support  (Read 7895 times)

Offline Armed

• Score: 0
    • View Profile
Midway losses, Blames Nintendo- less support
« on: May 01, 2003, 05:03:15 PM »
What is up with developers blaming the system!?  If they just make decent games then we would buy it.  I mean do they expect us to buy every crappy game they make like Mortal Kombat, why did they make it to where there moves were more realistic, no teleporting, or the other moves i liked in the SuperNes or N64 version, and also Spy Hunter this game was just bad!!!

Article: www.ign.com (Gamecube)
If you like to read comics click below
**My cousin made it, pretty cool**
"Bilaran Wars"-Click Me

Offline mouse_clicker

• Pod 6 is jerks!
  • Score: 3
    • View Profile
« Reply #1 on: May 01, 2003, 05:10:40 PM »
yeah, it pisses me off when a company spends 2 months half-assing a game then expecting it to sell extremely well. When it DOESN'T sell a bajillion copies, they immediatly blame the console and not their own shoddy workmanship. And why shouldn't they? It makes all the sense in the world!
"You know you're being too serious when Mouse tells you to lighten up... ^_^"<BR>-Bill

Offline Stex

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 01, 2003, 05:11:52 PM »
Eh, from what I heard MK: DA was pretty good.  It also sold pretty well for the other two consoles if I remember right.  So if it sells fine on other systems but not on GC, why not lessen support.

What I'm trying to get at is that it is not a knock on GC if they give less support to the console because of poor game sales.  It's called business and maximizing profits.  Why develop a game for console that they know the game won't sell well on.

NOT EVERYONE'S OUT TO GET NINTENDO PEOPLE.  I keep seeing threads like this, and people are pissed at companies that are doing normal business stuff.  For example, if a company finds one of their products isn't selling well in a particular store chain, they'll lower or stop altogether the amount of that product they make for that specific chain.  

And I'm not saying Midway is a developer of particularly good games, just quoting it as an example.

Offline mouse_clicker

• Pod 6 is jerks!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 01, 2003, 05:16:25 PM »
Stex: This isn't just MKDA, which wasn't that bad. This is about their other games, like Blitz and Spyhunter and whatnot. They sell well on the XBox and PS2 because those two consoles don't have great 1st and 2nd parties pumping out incredibly good games that we will *obviously* choose above half-assed 3rd-party PORTS of already bad games. The reason 3rd-party games rarely sell well on the Gamecube is because they SUCK. We're not going to pick up a crappy port of a year-and-a-half old game when we have games like Mario and Zelda to choose from. THEN the 3rd-paries blame Nintendo. If they want their games to sell so bad they need to put the time and effort into actually making a good game. Besides, Midway's been losing money for a long time now and it's NOT Nintendo's fault. I realise not everyone's out to get Nintendo, but Midway's obviously just looking for a scapegoat.
"You know you're being too serious when Mouse tells you to lighten up... ^_^"<BR>-Bill

Offline Armed

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 01, 2003, 05:23:59 PM »

Originally posted by: mouse_clicker
Stex: This isn't just MKDA, which wasn't that bad. This is about their other games, like Blitz and Spyhunter and whatnot. They sell well on the XBox and PS2 because those two consoles don't have great 1st and 2nd parties pumping out incredibly good games that we will *obviously* choose above half-assed 3rd-party PORTS of already bad games. The reason 3rd-party games rarely sell well on the Gamecube is because they SUCK. We're not going to pick up a crappy port of a year-and-a-half old game when we have games like Mario and Zelda to choose from. THEN the 3rd-paries blame Nintendo. If they want their games to sell so bad they need to put the time and effort into actually making a good game. Besides, Midway's been losing money for a long time now and it's NOT Nintendo's fault. I realise not everyone's out to get Nintendo, but Midway's obviously just looking for a scapegoat.

I totally agree!!
Why blame the system, what they should be pointing fingers at is the people dishing out the crappy games to the GC.
Also MKDA wasn't that bad, but it just disappointed me because i was expecting more than it actually was.

"Bilaran Wars"-Click Me

Offline Christberg

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 01, 2003, 05:40:28 PM »
Midway can quit their whining and deliver content that's worth buying.  They can also make sure their titles are properly distributed.  The only Midway title I bought just so happened to be MKA last year, and it was like pulling teeth just to get my hands on it.  Everything else they released last year that wasn't a sports title did poorly with reviewers, and was poor, and therefore they can blame themselves.

I'm sick and tired of hearing about companies blaming Nintendo for their failures when all they do is release poorly done ports of titles that weren't all that great to begin with, often really late, and then don't bother to distribute them properly.

Offline The Doc

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 01, 2003, 05:45:37 PM »
Hey everyone. I understand that GameCube sales are not all they are cracked up to be but I have to question Midway's judgement on this one. I am sick and tired of companys always blaming Nintendo for their poor sales! I am not happy about this at all and it should be interesting to see which games they cancel altogether or push back a few months. Someone should throw Midway a tissue becuase all they do is cry and bitch about Nintendo and I am quite sick of it!

The Doc  

Offline ThePerm

• predicted it first.
  • Score: 64
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 01, 2003, 06:09:01 PM »
mkda sold great on all the systems.....i still ghavnt bought my copy yet...but thats because im not usre whether or not to get it or splinter cell...i need to rent splinter cell first to know.....

essentially it made one good game this year...this game sold well. They made dozens of crapy games which all sold shit and on all consoles....they take the one with the lowest number and blame it...bull shit. make good games and people will buy them.

hell them creating bad press is a terrible idea...the reason why gamign is beign kept down is because everyone is so pessimistic. A few years ago when the industry wasnt in a depression there was very little trash talkign from companies towards nintendo. Yea, keep it up...destroy the industry.

NWR has permission to use any tentative mockup/artwork I post

Offline Syl

• O_o
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 01, 2003, 06:13:01 PM »
As long as the rush game still comes to gamecube.  I won't mind.
(thats the only series midway makes that i care about.)

The other games.. just weren't amazing titles.....

Offline Stimutacs Addict

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 01, 2003, 06:15:12 PM »
someone should write an intelligent letter to Midway about this scenario (not like they would really care...)

whoa deja vu like crazy.. okay so yea i got myself back together

yea.. someone should write to Midway about this
I'll shut up now...

Offline Perfect Cell

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 01, 2003, 06:15:54 PM »
Im sick of this. Companies shoudl accept their losses  because its their fault and not GCN. You dont loose 9 million just because on the Gamecube pathetic. And to think i have bought m,ultiple GCN titles... To hell with them

Offline EggyToast

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 01, 2003, 06:23:09 PM »
Hey, think of it this way.  Midway are not saying that "these games perform badly on GC."  Rather, they're pretty much saying "Xbox and PS2 owners are dumb enough to buy any flashy crap we put out, and we want to continue making crap, so we're going to continue publishing on the Xbox and PS2."

Now, is that so wrong?  Now, they're obviously not going to blatantly call their own games crap, so they're going to blame the system.  And what does that really mean?  It means that the people who *own* the system are too smart to buy crap.

So, really, they're complimenting GC owners.

Offline Armed

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 01, 2003, 06:33:34 PM »

Originally posted by: EggyToast
Hey, think of it this way.  Midway are not saying that "these games perform badly on GC."  Rather, they're pretty much saying "Xbox and PS2 owners are dumb enough to buy any flashy crap we put out, and we want to continue making crap, so we're going to continue publishing on the Xbox and PS2."

Now, is that so wrong?  Now, they're obviously not going to blatantly call their own games crap, so they're going to blame the system.  And what does that really mean?  It means that the people who *own* the system are too smart to buy crap.

So, really, they're complimenting GC owners.

Hehehe, never thought of it that way.
"Bilaran Wars"-Click Me

Offline Big_Pimp

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 01, 2003, 07:05:53 PM »

Originally posted by: Armed
What is up with developers blaming the system!?  If they just make decent games then we would buy it.  I mean do they expect us to buy every crappy game they make like Mortal Kombat, why did they make it to where there moves were more realistic, no teleporting, or the other moves i liked in the SuperNes or N64 version, and also Spy Hunter this game was just bad!!!

Article: www.ign.com (Gamecube)

I agree with what you said, and who cares if Midway decides to lessen support or hell even stops supporting GC, they make crap, so were not missing out on much, besides who in their right mind would choose Dr. Muto over Mario Sunshine?

Offline Grey Ninja

• Retired Forum Drunk
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 01, 2003, 08:05:28 PM »
I dunno... should I be sad?  I can't remember the last Midway game I played, or even any that I am interested in.  I guess I could really care less if Midway drops GameCube support.
Once I had, a little game
I liked to crawl back into my brain
I think you know the game I mean

Offline greenwood

• View Profile
« Reply #15 on: May 01, 2003, 08:14:54 PM »
Well, the thing is what did Midway release for the GCN so far? MKA and SpyHunter  and Dr. Muto are the only ones I can think of (besides their sports games). Spyhunter was a sloppy port, Dr. Muto sold bad on every system (they even cancelled any possible sequels) and I'm sure MK didn't sell as well as the Xbox version (PS2 is obviously excluded) because the Xbox has over 1 million more possible potential customers. And you can't compare PS2 sales to GCN and Xbox's. Of course every game is going to sell more on the PS2, it's only got like 5x the user base.
This is just like when THQ blamed GCN for their losses. Release crap then get pissed when it doesn't sell. What kind of thinking is that? I'm not saying Midway shouldn't re-evaluate themselves and their game releases but they need to accept at least part of the blame. You can't just try to absolve yourself of any fault in this type of situation. They need to look at when they release their games to see what would be the best time to do so. You don't want to launch your game up against a Zelda, Mario, Metroid, or any other big games, which is sometimes unavoidable. But you also have to look at the market. Yeah, platform-type games seem to sell better (percentage-wise) on the GCN compared to the Xbox or PS2 (look at the sales of R&C or Sly Cooper or Blinx for examples) but you can't expect an average platformer to sell well just because of that.
Anyway, there's not much else I can say that hasn't already been posted but did you guys notice that Haven (which was axed after the PS2 version sold poorly) is back from the dead? Xicat is publishing it now.  

Offline RickPowers

• IT Director
    Senior Editor
  • Score: 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: May 01, 2003, 08:15:00 PM »
I think Midway is starting to get the hint that we're not going to just take their shovelware and smile.  
:: Rob "Rick Powers" Stevens
:: Senior Editor Emeritus
:: Personal Blog
:: Wii Number: 7294 0910 3012 6153

Offline The Doc

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: May 02, 2003, 06:54:11 AM »
I have to be honest, I have owned my GCN since October of last year and I have yet to pick up a software title from Midway. However, I am looking foward to The Suffering, Narc and ESpionage. Do you guys think Midway will cancel these titles altogether or do you think they will just push the release dates of these games back a few months?  Anyone else looking foward to The Suffering, Narc or ESpoinage? Depending upon how these games turn out I may not care if Midway decides to pull its support for the GCN.

The Doc  

Offline couchmonkey

• I tye dyed my Wii and I love it
    • View Profile
RE: Midway losses, Blames Nintendo- less support
« Reply #18 on: May 02, 2003, 07:17:27 AM »
Okay, just a second here, it's not like Midway says, "We're losing money because the GameCube sucks".  They're saying, "We're losing money because we can't sell games on the GameCube".  Which is entirely true.  Sure their games may be crap, but they have every right to take those games off the Cube, and if you all think they're so lousy in the first place, then why do you care if Midway withdraws GameCube support?
That's my opinion, not yours.
Now Playing: The Adventures of Link, Super Street Fighter 4, Dragon Quest IX

Offline Zelda

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: May 02, 2003, 09:46:46 AM »
OH NO MIDWAY PLEASE DON'T, I WANT TO BUY YOUR CRAPPY GAMES

Offline godwheel

• View Profile
« Reply #20 on: May 02, 2003, 10:23:55 AM »
Mortal Kombat Deadly Allience was a refreshing, challenging fighting game.  Blitz, although the same thing since the original title, was pretty solid. Sure most of their games have not been that good, but don't mock MK this time. The game is excellent and sold well on the GC (most people avoided the GCN version because of the D-PAD...).

One more thing, Acclaim, a company which had developed pretty crappy games for a while, is starting to develop more solid titles (Burnout 2, Xtreme G...) and these titles have sold better than expected. Moral of the story? Make a good game and people will buy it.  

Offline kennyb27

• President of Nintendo. Seriously!
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: May 02, 2003, 12:47:30 PM »
I may be speaking too soon about this, but I'm not looking forward to Blitz anymore since they made it a real football sim.  If I want that, I would go pop in Madden and play my franchise; Blitz always brought a breadth of fresh air.  Besides I believe, as most of you do, that it is ridiculous for Midway to "blame" Nintendo.  I was always taught and I believe that mistakes should not be placed on other people's shoulders.  You realize your mistake, correct it, and move on.  If that means dropping support from Gamecube, so be it.  Because with this pessimistic attitude of theirs towards Nintendo, they are just hurting the possibilities of higher sales.
-Kenny

Now Playing: I-Ninja (GC), Pokemon LeafGreen (GBA), Nintendogs (DS), Mario Golf: Toadstool Tour (GC)
Just Finished: Legend of Zelda: Wind Waker (GC), Paper Mario: Thousand Year Door (GC) Legend of Zelda: Minish Cap (GBA)
Need money for: Advance Wars: Dual St

Offline mouse_clicker

• Pod 6 is jerks!
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: May 02, 2003, 12:53:07 PM »
Couchmonkey: We care because Midway's blaming Nintendo. Yes, they're withdrawing support from the Gamecube because the cube titles didn't sell well, which would be fine if they didn't sell well BECAUSE of Nintendo or it's fans (like Sega's sports games). But the reason they didn't sell was because their games are crap. If Midway just withdrew their support, that'd be ok, but they had to go the extra mile and blame NINTENDO for the situation and not admitting that their games suck. If they make quality games, maybe they'd see better sales, but that rarely, if ever, hits most 3rd parties, especially American 3rd parties.

Offline PIAC

• is actually agentseven
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: May 02, 2003, 01:29:06 PM »
i bought a midway game, gauntlet dark legacy, only for its nostalgic n64 stylings and the fact my friend and i and his brother played gauntlet legends on 64 so much

ph33r my red archer

other than that, meh just gives good titles more space on shelves

Offline Ace

• View Profile
« Reply #24 on: May 02, 2003, 02:17:32 PM »
I agree with everything said here.  Companies should not expect people to buy half-assed games and expect them to sell.  The thing that really ticks me off is that companies blame the GameCube when their games don't sell but they come out months after they're out on competing systems.  If you wanted a game on 2 or more consoles and one is set to be released later with no additions, which one would you buy?
You say fanboy like it's a bad thing