Author Topic: Is this a glimpse of the future? Blu-Ray Disc ...  (Read 37545 times)

Offline manunited4eva22

• Got 1337?
  • Score: 1
    • View Profile
Is this a glimpse of the future? Blu-Ray Disc ...
« Reply #100 on: March 16, 2003, 12:44:11 PM »
As I said before: that has been though of before, as Quantum computing does not run on the absolute same physics that we are accustomed to. The classic quantum solution is that something that we would think would be 50/50 is in fact 100/0. If that was used effectively logic gates would be far more efficient in pushing data, so even if dimenishing returns comes into play for the current generation of computing, it is decades off of ending quantum powers.

Offline BlkPaladin

• Score: 9
    • View Profile
    • Minkmultimedia
« Reply #101 on: March 16, 2003, 03:34:09 PM »
We are not talking Quantum computing here. We are talking about Blu-Ray disc which are bound to this law. They type of techonolgy you are talking about isn't that close to be utilized by a Gaming console in this generation and maybe the next since IBM a few years back found a way to puch the envelope of the silicon limits.

Quantum computing isn't measured in dimensions, no form of computer really is, for it to be technically usable to humans the results have to be bound to the highest dimension we are familar with (third). And Quantum computing, which uses water (note: at the last time I did research on it) and not silicon still is bound to physical laws. Since the water that is used is bound to them. There may be a better gain to loss ratio but it isn't perfect once we make that jump the computing is hampered by how the phycal chip is model but how the data that is harvested is manipulated. In theory the computing power/speed will always be a constant because its confined to how fast the electrons in the water move. The only way to get faster is to change the physical state of the medium.  
Stupidity is lost on my. Then again I'm almost always lost.

Offline manunited4eva22

• Got 1337?
    • View Profile
« Reply #102 on: March 17, 2003, 06:52:47 AM »
If we are talking about Blu Ray why does limitations on size based on limited matter even matter?

And in case you forgot: electrons are not the only negative conducting basic particle, there are many more, and many that are smaller. Just to add to a debate about stuff we won't see for several decades to come.

Offline Clonester

• Score: 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #103 on: March 17, 2003, 03:24:14 PM »
There will reach a point in technology where many developers will not be able to fully utilize the technology available. We are seeing that to an extent in this generation. Disks are not being filled, graphics capabilities and hardware are not being used to a more full extent, extra space is not being filled with extra fetures/goodies, games are of less length, some games are not of a quality we would wish of them and/or they are not polished or are fairly short.

Why? Development costs. Yes, games could fill large storage mediums like the Blu-Ray disks, even without FMV's. Yes, games could reach photo-realistic quality for in-game play. But this would be too costly and take too much time for many game development companies. Right now, there are many small companies fighting to stay in the game making industry. Heck, even companies like Capcom, Sega and Square (now Square-Enix) have been pushing for pennies (although this doesn't seem to have affected their game quality, etc.). The largest of the companies producing games, like Electronic Arts, Nintendo, and Konami have somewhat limited development budgets. Nintendo has been trying harder as of late to lower their development time. Why? To lower cost and to maximize profits. Game makers could fill huge capacity disks with photo realistic graphics, extra goodies, FMV, etc. but this would be limited to the larger companies, and most likely at the cost of quality. It would leave smaller dev. teams behind and possibly out of business.

We can't have everything. Yes we could have a huge world where every npc has their own personality, a really long game that fills a disk with gameplay, or ultra high quality graphics, (etc.) but, due to the time and cost taken, at the cost of a game of high quality or a well polished game. Developers will not be able to afford the "future proposals" of what some people in this topic have been guessing that a large capacity disk would hold, so why use them in your arguements? Yes you could fill a disk with FMV, but many developers could not afford it, and I am personally sick of FMV heavy games including but not limited to (PSX & PS2) Final Fantasy's and other RPG's of this gen and last.

The future as you put it is not healthy for gamers and it will put many developers out of business.  
Most Favourite Game Of All Time: Chrono Trigger

Nick Frizzell- Gamecube Heaven Preview Writer
www.gamecubeheaven.tk

Offline BlkPaladin

• Score: 9
    • View Profile
    • Minkmultimedia
« Reply #104 on: March 17, 2003, 05:42:25 PM »
Yes it will not be probally in our life times though they start utilizing smaller states of matter. Quarks, and partial Quarks (I forgot their names) are very unstable and quickly disapate. Humans have to find a way to superceed some physical laws to make them usable.
Stupidity is lost on my. Then again I'm almost always lost.

Offline theaveng

• Score: -1
    • View Profile
« Reply #105 on: March 18, 2003, 01:22:37 PM »

Originally posted by: manunited4eva22
And in case you forgot: electrons are not the only negative conducting basic particle, there are many more, and many that are smaller.
I'm not aware of any other (-) charged particle.  Can you name them for us?

Clonester: Your comment "discs aren't getting filled" is just blatantly false.  Resident Evil needed two GC discs just to get everything in.  Xenosaga fills every bit of data on a 8.5 gigabyte DVD.  Early rumors are that FF12 will too.  Developers are growing their games and using all of that space available to them.

MY PREDICTION: Blu-Rays (or similar large format discs) will be adopted for HDTV-quality movies/recording (2006).  These ultra-hi-res movies will need about 4 times more storage space than DVD can provide.  About 2 yrs later we'll see these discs in PCs, and by 2010 we will see them in game consoles.

For computing, we'll see traditional "1" or "0" (off or on) programming, but the transistor logic will be replaced with single-electron gates.  That'll probably hit mainstream around 2020.

Offline manunited4eva22

• Got 1337?
    • View Profile
« Reply #106 on: March 18, 2003, 02:18:39 PM »
linkie Research before you speak.

Offline theaveng

• View Profile
« Reply #107 on: March 22, 2003, 01:54:36 PM »

Originally posted by: manunited4eva22
linkie Research before you speak.
You don't have to be so snide.  I asked an honest question... all you had to do was answer it in a *friendly* manner.

Instead you acted like an arrogant jackass.  Screw OFF.

Offline oohhboy

• Forum Friend or Foe?
  • Score: 38
    • View Profile
« Reply #108 on: March 23, 2003, 12:06:36 AM »
My Money is on that it will appear in gaming first through the PS3. But my bet is that another format will dominate in the end. It is just too early and the increase in space is not that much compared to what the compettion is cooking up / use for HD TV.
I'm Lacus. I'm fine as Lacus!
Pffh. Toilet paper? What do you think cats are for?

Offline manunited4eva22

• Got 1337?
    • View Profile
« Reply #109 on: March 23, 2003, 07:35:29 AM »
Sorry for being like that, I apologize for being an asshole.

Offline dmbfan755

• View Profile
« Reply #110 on: April 21, 2003, 09:34:09 AM »
You could put more than one game on each disc!
If anybody wants to give me any virtual boy games, that would be, Indubitably, Neat-o.  

Offline manunited4eva22

• Got 1337?
    • View Profile
« Reply #111 on: April 21, 2003, 01:10:09 PM »
Ya, but you can already do that for a lot of games now. It just comes to a point where the developers want to make as much money as possible so they seperate games up.

Offline Ace

• View Profile
« Reply #112 on: April 23, 2003, 07:55:08 PM »

Originally posted by: Slab
this blu-ray stuff doesn't impress me...I read a while back...like a year ago...that someone was developing some sort of fluorescent light technology with disc that could hold 100-450+ gigs.  Now that impresses....
here's the link

fluorescent technology

oh...near the bottom of the article...it says that it costs about $0.76 to produce a disc.  That's pretty damn cheap.
edited: to make the darn link work...lol

Slab, I was looking up some articles on the fluorescent technology and I cannot find anything dating after 2000.  Do you have more recent links to the technology?  What happened to Constilantion 3D?
You say fanboy like it's a bad thing

Offline Clonester

• View Profile
« Reply #113 on: April 28, 2003, 12:54:48 PM »

Originally posted by: theavengClonester: Your comment "discs aren't getting filled" is just blatantly false.  Resident Evil needed two GC discs just to get everything in.  Xenosaga fills every bit of data on a 8.5 gigabyte DVD.  Early rumors are that FF12 will too.  Developers are growing their games and using all of that space available to them.

[sarcasm] Damn. You must be right. Hundreds of games are filling their disks, making it necessary for multiple DVD's to be used. Especially the small development companies, who can easily afford to develop their games on a blu ray disk or multiple DVD's.[/sarcasm]

Of course, you have been banned, so there is really no point in replying, but I felt like it anyways. What I said was a generalized statement. Yes, some disks (a few) are being filled to the point where multiple disks are necessary, but most aren't. Some companies cannot afford to make games on blu-ray disks or even multiple DVD's without sacrificing something, which almost always leads to an unpolished game.

Look back. The companies that fill the disks/use multiple disks are the larger companies. Companies like Square/Enix, Capcom, Nintendo, Konami, Sega, Rare, EA, etc.
Most Favourite Game Of All Time: Chrono Trigger

Nick Frizzell- Gamecube Heaven Preview Writer
www.gamecubeheaven.tk

Offline Tharkun

• View Profile
« Reply #114 on: May 28, 2003, 09:41:57 PM »
I'm all for a 100 layer fluorescent disk in a game console in the generations to come.  They could make it really really TINY and still have plenty of space for any game and it is so cheap to make as well.

Imagine a demo-disk on a blue-ray disk or a fluorescent disk.  They could have a demo for just about every game in the console's library.  Of course this will never happen though because no one will want to put forth the time and effort to make such a massive demo.
Sorry officer, do you know why I got pulled over cause at least one of us should.  Ok, but only if you hold my beer for me so I can reach my driver's licence...

Offline oohhboy

• Forum Friend or Foe?
    • View Profile
RE: Is this a glimpse of the future? Blu-Ray Disc ...
« Reply #115 on: May 29, 2003, 04:36:50 AM »
I believe such technology is the second step towards Star Trek's Isolinear chips which has some insane number of storage space compared to today which apparently stores infomation in a quantum bit. The world is not ready for blu-ray because it is already obsolete.

Offline DRJ

• View Profile
« Reply #116 on: June 28, 2003, 09:57:06 PM »
We're still quite a ways away from Star Trek's isolinear chips considering that they have a capacity of 2.15 Kiloquads (2150 Quadrillion Bytes). A quadrillion bytes would be a million Gigs and the data can be accessed faster than the speed of light. Also the chip is about the size of a microscope slide. In order to fit this much data on a chip this side it would have to be written with light from the x-ray spectrum.
Ralph: Hi, Principal Skinner! Hi, Super Nintendo Chalmers!

Offline oohhboy

• Forum Friend or Foe?
    • View Profile
RE: Is this a glimpse of the future? Blu-Ray Disc ...
« Reply #117 on: June 29, 2003, 09:06:17 AM »
The thing is that it has achived more than two layers and that in itself is an achivement.No longer are discs restricted to two layers and how wide they are. but on how many layers on a card that can be any size.

In star trek the chip is the read/write head(And also a CPU in its own right) and while the remainder of the stick which is transparent holds the data. The sticks themselfs need not to be working at FTL speeds, but having such technology to process data at FTL speeds would improve such a device dramtically assuming you had a bus that could process data fast enough once the data left the FTL fields area of effect.

As I said this is only like the second step towards such technology. Who knows how many more steps we need to take? It would be 5 giant leaps or 10000 steps. Atleast it is in the right dicrection unlike blu-ray which is under-powered, short-changed evolution of DVD, already obsolete technology in terms of what other companies have lined up for the near/medium future.

Offline DRJ

• View Profile
« Reply #118 on: June 29, 2003, 10:32:26 AM »
It will be interesting to see what will happen in the next gen consoles. The technoligy is so advanced that game developers are not limited by the hardware anymore. Whatever they want to make they can, and there is so much room on disks now that they can include as much movie/video as they want. I cant wait to see what happens in the next few years.
Ralph: Hi, Principal Skinner! Hi, Super Nintendo Chalmers!

Offline HolyPaladin

• View Profile
« Reply #119 on: June 29, 2003, 05:22:52 PM »

Originally posted by: DRJ
A quadrillion bytes would be a million Gigs and the data can be accessed faster than the speed of light.

Wow, it can read data faster than 669,600,000 MPH (speed of light)?  Man, and we are only presently accessing data no faster than 294,620 MPH!  (Sarcasm.)  That's like baking a cake and measuring your ingrediants in seconds, minutes, and hours and your cooking time in pints, quarts, and gallons.

The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing.

- Edmund Burke

If whatever I just posted sounds rude/hateful/whatever then you probably read it wrong, but I will insert apology here, anyways, just in case.

Offline manunited4eva22

• Got 1337?
    • View Profile
« Reply #120 on: June 30, 2003, 08:26:37 AM »
I take it that you are not a technology buff.

RE:Is this a glimpse of the future? Blu-Ray Disc ...
« Reply #121 on: August 28, 2003, 06:39:30 PM »
1 million level 2D Mario game.

End of discussion.

Offline Slab

• View Profile
« Reply #122 on: August 29, 2003, 09:36:19 AM »

Originally posted by: Ace
Slab, I was looking up some articles on the fluorescent technology and I cannot find anything dating after 2000.  Do you have more recent links to the technology?  What happened to Constilantion 3D?

Sorry, I haven't been back here for a while. Constellation 3D is still around. I just did a google search and turned up a bunch of hits.

Constellation 3D

Don't worry. Constellation 3D and the FMD is still around and looks to be the next big data storage format.
If you're afraid to live, you might as well be dead.

Offline nemo_83

• Dream Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #123 on: August 29, 2003, 04:27:24 PM »
Sorry I don't have the time just yet to read all of the responses in this topic.  But I'll post my comments till then.  A 23 GB disk could do away with the need for harddrives.  I'd like to see the disks inclosed in plastic for protection.
Life is like a hurricane-- here in Duckburg