Author Topic: DS's Wireless = Free games? Wha!?  (Read 2623 times)

Offline Edfishy

• Score: 1
    • View Profile
DS's Wireless = Free games? Wha!?
« on: October 26, 2004, 08:54:29 PM »
By what I understand thus far, the DS can send a copy of a game(With of course some prequisites) to anybody within a certain range searching for available games.  This is just phenominal for when you don't have a Wireless LAN, but what happens when you do?

Imagine somebody just re-wires some DS's so it can be powered by a power outlet, and just have people go to www.playmetroidhuntersfree.com to download a copy and play against other people for free on multiple servers.  What the bloody heck would be the point in purchasing the game, except for the fact that said thing would be illegal.

I'm wondering how Nintendo is going to counter this except by having an intense amount of restrictions on copied games, such as only having playable map on Metroid Hunters, and using the E3 control scheme.

Offline PaLaDiN

• I'm your new travel agent!
    • View Profile
RE: DS's Wireless = Free games? Wha!?
« Reply #1 on: October 26, 2004, 09:25:35 PM »
"Imagine somebody just re-wires some DS's so it can be powered by a power outlet, and just have people go to www.playmetroidhuntersfree.com to download a copy and play against other people for free on multiple servers. What the bloody heck would be the point in purchasing the game, except for the fact that said thing would be illegal."

You're talking about Wifi, not wireless LAN, right?

Even so, all you can do is play the multiplayer portion of the game, I'd presume. You can only join games other people have set up. I don't see what the problem is.
<BR><BR>It shone, pale as bone, <BR>As I stood there alone...

Offline KDR_11k

• boring person
  • Score: 28
    • View Profile
RE: DS's Wireless = Free games? Wha!?
« Reply #2 on: October 26, 2004, 09:39:28 PM »
802.11 aka wireless LAN.

Remote code injection would allow for sending ROMs to the system, both homebrew and warez. It would work in a similar way as the DC and GC remote code injection exploits.
Of course you wouldn't send the official signals to your DS but you'd modify them to get all of the data into the DS.

Offline Edfishy

• View Profile
RE:DS's Wireless = Free games? Wha!?
« Reply #3 on: October 26, 2004, 09:39:33 PM »
Hm.  That's something I never thought about.  I had assumed it would simply send the other person the game and he could navigate the menus himself and search for the game his friend was hosting, or choose to host by himself.

Thank you for clearing that up.  I dont know why I never thought about that.  

Offline Spak-Spang

• The Frightened Fox
  • Score: 39
    • View Profile
    • MirandaNew.com
« Reply #4 on: October 27, 2004, 05:19:35 AM »
Simple.  

The DS RAM you are downloading the game is only so large.  So you could pretty much only download one multiplayer only game at a time.  You won't be getting the entire game, and you will be limited, because once you turn off the game it is over.  

Besides that I am sure that you are going to need at least one system with the full game to be constantly sending new information over the WIFI, like the map of the next level you are going to playing at and stuff.  

So really this isn't going to be a problem or likely.  

Could you someone figure out to do this, yeah, but if it is a section of the game Nintendo is allowing to be copied via wireless connection, then I am willing to bet they would like you to do that and play their game (and potentially buy the full version) then not play the game at all.

This is not a problem.  Nintendo has probably looked at this threat entirely.  

However, it does atleast allow the homebrew people to design games for the DS, and potentially find away to actually get their code to the DS, to share with gamers around the world, and that is cool.

Offline Edfishy

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 27, 2004, 07:50:45 AM »
Hm.  If the entire game is not sent, then how would Animal Crossing DS work?  It appears the game would allow up to four players off of the same cartridge, or so I understand.  I guess it would just selectively send specific art and image files when necessary.

Anybody know how much RAM there is?

Offline Spak-Spang

• The Frightened Fox
  • Score: 39
    • View Profile
    • MirandaNew.com
« Reply #6 on: October 27, 2004, 07:57:48 AM »
 I don't know how animal crossing would work.  

I really don't see the interest in playing cartridgeless wireless.

Though the only thing I could see it either

1)The cartless wireless features are only for multiplayer minigames.  Perhaps the hidden NES games have multiplayer.
2)Perhaps it just allows your friends to wonder with you in your own town, and perhaps the game has in game multiplayer minigames.  This would atleast allow you to show your town to people without the game in a unique way.  The game would only have to send information about your game, and whatever ingame features would be available in this mode.
3)It could send the entire game, except the save feature, and therefore prevent the theft of the game.

Once again though, it depends on what the developers want to send to you, but I really don't see the problem since once you turn off the system you lose whatever memory is in the RAM.