Author Topic: Microsoft and Sony's HD stance?  (Read 3641 times)

Offline Arbok

• Toho Mikado
  • Score: 5
    • View Profile
    • Toho Kingdom
Microsoft and Sony's HD stance?
« on: January 23, 2007, 08:33:10 AM »
Okay, I can't seem to find anything on this issue, but can anyone confirm or deny if Microsoft or Sony are forcing developers to create games in HD for the Xbox 360 and PS3... or if they are allowing developers to decide?

If so, does anyone know the minumum resolution that each is enforcing?

Thanks in advance, and sorry for the odd question.
Toho Kingdom

@romero_tk

Offline IceCold

• I love you Vanilla Ice!
  • Score: 2
    • View Profile
RE: Microsoft and Sony's HD stance?
« Reply #1 on: January 23, 2007, 08:34:35 AM »
I know Microsoft is for sure - and I believe it's 720p. I'll look for a source..
"I used to sell furniture for a living. The trouble was, it was my own."
---------------------------------------------
"If your parents never had children, chances are you won't either."
----------------------------
"If it weren't for electricity we'd all be watching television by the candlelig

Offline vudu

• You'd probably all be better off if I really were dead.
  • NWR Junior Ranger
  • Score: -19
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 23, 2007, 09:21:28 AM »
IceCold is correct--minimum resolution for 360 is 720p.  (I don't have a source.)

I'm almost certain it's the same for PS3.
Why must all things be so bright? Why can things not appear only in hues of brown! I am so serious about this! Dull colors are the future! The next generation! I will never accept a world with such bright colors! It is far too childish! I will rage against your cheery palette with my last breath!

Offline MaryJane

• Ain't got nothing on Felica Hardy
  • Score: -13
    • View Profile
RE:Microsoft and Sony's HD stance?
« Reply #3 on: January 23, 2007, 10:50:29 AM »
after seeing the difference in switching from composite cable to components, I would have to say that's not a bad thing. devs tend to get lazy. I think nintendo should tell devs they have to develop in 480p, but that would go against their philosphy i suppose, but sometimes you have to admit you were wrong.

Nintendo kept insisting that HD wasn't necessary, but the component cables are harder to find than Wii's. I say all games should be 480p.  
Silly monkeys; give them thumbs they make a club and beat their brother down. How they survive so misguided is a mystery. Repugnant is a creature who would squander the ability to lift an a eye to heaven conscious of his fleeting time here.

Offline hudsonhawk

• Score: 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 23, 2007, 11:02:17 AM »
They should have required widescreen as well.

Instead, the Wii is the same crapshoot that you had with the Cube: some games will look great, some of them will look awful with stretchy bloated characters and deinterlacing artifacts.

Offline vudu

• NWR Junior Ranger
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 23, 2007, 11:39:11 AM »

Originally posted by: hudsonhawk

Instead, the Wii is the same crapshoot that you had with the Cube: some games will look great, some of them will look awful with stretchy bloated characters and deinterlacing artifacts.
Fact of the matter is, most games worth playing will utilize 480p (and most likely wide screen).  The crummy, rush-job ports might not, but if you skip those, it's probably not a big deal.  (And if you play them, you probably have bigger things to worry about than the resolution.)

This isn't necessarily true for launch-window games (Super Swing Golf comes to mind).  However, down the road pretty much any game worth playing will support these features regardless of Nintendo's restrictions.
Why must all things be so bright? Why can things not appear only in hues of brown! I am so serious about this! Dull colors are the future! The next generation! I will never accept a world with such bright colors! It is far too childish! I will rage against your cheery palette with my last breath!

Offline capamerica

• ^______^
  • Score: 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 23, 2007, 02:02:20 PM »
I thought Sony was pushing that all games have to suport at minimual of 1080i
Remeber Sony was pushing the fact that "True HD" was 1080 and not 720 like MS.
"Alright, you know what? I'm just giving in and looking at the breasts."
Crow ~ MST3K
<BR>-- I like my food like I like my women Chinese, Japaneses, Korean, Filipino, Vietnamese and Hot! --

Offline Amodaus1

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 23, 2007, 02:21:29 PM »
1080? 720? 480? Widescreen?

I got a solution for all, make all games 2-D again.

Then we won't have these petty arguements. I've played gears of war both on and off 720 or whatever, yeah there is a difference, but it sure as hell doesn't stop me from hating it. Gameplay is gameply, visuals do nothing for it. Thats why we should return to 2-D.

Offline vudu

• NWR Junior Ranger
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 23, 2007, 02:35:24 PM »

Originally posted by: capamerica
MotorStorm runs at 720p (and 30 fps).  Pro666 linked to this article yesterday.

In the CES keynote, which you can watch here, Peter Dille states that we'll see Motorstorm at 1080p running at 60fps. He makes this point strongly, in an attempt to prove the power of the PS3, before telling us it's the only "true" high definition system on the market. I would say that point is arguable at best, but there is no doubt he was selling Motorstorm as an example of their 1080p content.

After all that buzz, they're now saying Motorstorm will be at 720p and run at 30fps. At least according to SCEA.

I think minimum of 1080i is more of an idealistic goal and not necessarily a hard rule.

Offline BranDonk Kong

• Eat your f'ing cat!
  • Score: 10131
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 23, 2007, 03:36:53 PM »
1080p TVs are getting pretty cheap...I must get one.
I think it says on the box, 'No Hispanics' " - Jeff Green of EA

Offline capamerica

• ^______^
  • Score: 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 23, 2007, 04:07:20 PM »
Ya I know about the MotoStorm "problem" every time a PS3 game comes out has to be downgraded or isn't being released with 1080 suport people make fun of it because of Sony's promise.
"Alright, you know what? I'm just giving in and looking at the breasts."
Crow ~ MST3K
<BR>-- I like my food like I like my women Chinese, Japaneses, Korean, Filipino, Vietnamese and Hot! --

Offline hudsonhawk

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 24, 2007, 03:57:23 AM »

Originally posted by: capamerica

Don't confuse 1080p and 1080i.  Sony calls 1080p "TrueHD" (thanks for adding to the market confusion, Sony!) but doesn't require PS3 games to support that resolution (nor does MS).

I believe both Sony and MS require 1080i support.  MS also requires a slew of other resolutions for the VGA adapter to be supported.  The vast majority of games for both systems, however, run in 720p natively and accomplish the other resolutions by scaling.

I got a solution for all, make all games 2-D again.

Then we won't have these petty arguements. I've played gears of war both on and off 720 or whatever, yeah there is a difference, but it sure as hell doesn't stop me from hating it. Gameplay is gameply, visuals do nothing for it. Thats why we should return to 2-D.

Uh, yeah... that's a stupid statement for any number of reasons.  For starters, 2D vs 3D has nothing to do with screen resolution.  Secondly, 2d games can be very fun and that's an appropriate choice for a lot of games.  However, if you don't think that adding a 3rd dimension to games adds a multitude of gameplay possibilities then there's really no help for you.

Hopefully though you were kidding and my sarcasm detector is just broken.  You were kidding.... right?

Offline BranDonk Kong

• Eat your f'ing cat!
  • Score: 10131
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 24, 2007, 04:16:36 AM »
Actually, PS3 doesn't have a hardware scaler, so 720p native games CANNOT be upscaled to 1080p. XBox 360 games can.
I think it says on the box, 'No Hispanics' " - Jeff Green of EA

Offline Ceric

• Once killed four Deviljho in one hunt
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 24, 2007, 08:04:19 AM »
If memory serves 1080i is easier to pull off and easier on the TV then 720p.  (Plus my TV only support 1080i and not 720P...)
Need a Personal NonCitizen-Magical-Elf-Boy-Child-Game-Abused-King-Kratos-Play-Thing Crimm Unmaker-of-Worlds-Hunter-Of-Boxes
so, I don't have to edit as Much.

Offline MaryJane

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 24, 2007, 11:23:47 AM »

Originally posted by: Ceric
If memory serves 1080i is easier to pull off and easier on the TV then 720p.  (Plus my TV only support 1080i and not 720P...)

I believe that only refers to upconversion, though I could be wrong. i is easier than p too.
Silly monkeys; give them thumbs they make a club and beat their brother down. How they survive so misguided is a mystery. Repugnant is a creature who would squander the ability to lift an a eye to heaven conscious of his fleeting time here.

Offline NinGurl69 *huggles

• HI I'M CRAZY
  • Score: 28
    • View Profile
    • Six Sided Video
« Reply #15 on: January 24, 2007, 11:48:19 AM »
1080i is easy to pull off since only 540 unique scan lines are drawn at a time (1080 div by 2), which isn't much more than 480 unique scan lines.

Even GT4 on ps2 pulled it off.  It's a matter of only generating the pixels you want to display.

Anyways I remember the 1080/60fps ps3 promises back in the day.  Once I saw a Ps3 unit at Target last November, I immediately noticed MotorSperm and Giant Enemy Crab were both running at 30fps.  I thought to myself "wow, ps3 isn't the monster i thought it was."  
:: Six Sided Video .com ~ Pietriots.com ::
PRO IS SERIOUS. GET SERIOUS.

Offline MaryJane

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: January 24, 2007, 02:20:26 PM »
i stand corrected.

ps3 is the monster i thought it was, the freaking thing is massive.

Offline wandering

• BABY DAISY IS FREAKIN HAWT
  • Score: 3
    • View Profile
    • XXX FREE HOT WADAISY PICS
« Reply #17 on: January 26, 2007, 06:49:52 PM »

Originally posted by: hudsonhawk

You know, you could just set your tv so that it doesn't stretch the picture. Black bars are your friends.

“...there are those who would...say, '...If I could just not have to work everyday...that would be the most wonderful life in the world.' They don't know life. Because what makes life mean something is purpose.  The battle. The struggle.  Even if you don't win it.” - Richard M. Nixon