Author Topic: Paper Mario 2 on the Way  (Read 10587 times)

Offline StrikerObi

• BanEditLockDelete Podcast Editor
  • NWR Staff
  • Score: 2
    • View Profile
    • Pixel du Jour
Paper Mario 2 on the Way
« on: March 31, 2004, 04:52:40 PM »
The plumber will return in another RPG adventure.

The latest issue of Famitsu Weekly has revealed that the popular Japanese gaming magazine will be unveiling the sequel to the Nintendo 64 title Paper Mario. The update to Mario Story (the Japanese title for Paper Mario) will be released some time later this year in Japan. It will feature the same paper-like 2 1/2 dimensional graphics its predecessor was known for. According to this article, Mario will even be able to fold himself up into a paper airplane to fly around. There is currently no news on this title coming to North America or Europe, but it is likely that this news will revealed some time closer to E3.

Offline Bill Aurion

• NWR Forum Loli
  • Score: 34
    • View Profile
RE: Paper Mario 2 on the Way
« Reply #1 on: March 31, 2004, 05:07:13 PM »
Mario transforming into a paper airplane sounds like Yoshi transforming into various modes of transportation in Yoshi's Island...And anything that can be compared to Yoshi's Island will always be a good thing...
~Former Resident Zelda Aficionado and Nintendo Fan~

Offline Berny

• Seriously.
  • Score: 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 31, 2004, 05:59:38 PM »
Mario raises his left leg and fires an egg at a goomba? What?
has 6 gmail invites. wants to rid himself of them. email for gmail.

Offline Procession

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 31, 2004, 06:19:21 PM »
Why does it have to be Mario? Don't get me wrong, Paper Mario was great and i'm sure this will be too, but this seems like a good way to start a new franchise.

Offline Mario

• IWATA BOAT!?
  • Score: 8
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 31, 2004, 06:21:17 PM »

Why does it have to be Mario?

Why not?

Offline jasonditz

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 31, 2004, 08:49:55 PM »
Paper Zelda?

Offline pyrokamileon

• Score: 1
    • View Profile
RE:Paper Mario 2 on the Way
« Reply #6 on: March 31, 2004, 09:07:33 PM »
Paper Zelda...  Zelda RPG?  hmmm...  I'm only so familiar with the zelda series, but i do not believe that a zelda rpg has been released...  just think of the possibilities!!  that game would be a must have on my list!

although referring to the "why mario" comment.  I agree, why mario?  I haven't had a chance to play a mario rpg but I'm working my way through the mario and luigi rpg and I think that a sequel to that would be much more impelling, oh well, this is only first word, here's hoping!

there are plenty of reasons for us nintendophiles to quibble and quabble over the little things, but it's stuff like this that reminds me why I love nintendo.
At some point, I'd think Nintendo fans would get sick of the anticipation and just say "screw it," but Nintendophiles are odd, odd creatures indeed.<BR>—Chris Carle, IGN

Offline Bill Aurion

• NWR Forum Loli
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 01, 2004, 12:41:48 AM »
Because a game like M&L fits nicely in it's quasi-3d style on the Game Boy...

Offline couchmonkey

• I tye dyed my Wii and I love it
  • Score: 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 01, 2004, 03:51:13 AM »
NO, you are all blasphemers!  Paper Mario is one of the greatest games ever!!!  I don't even think Mario & Luigi, as great as it was, lived up to Paper Mario.
I will buy this game the day it comes out.  I am ecstatic!
That's my opinion, not yours.
Now Playing: The Adventures of Link, Super Street Fighter 4, Dragon Quest IX

Offline Ian Sane

• Champion for Urban Champion
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 01, 2004, 06:07:58 AM »
What sort of question is "why Mario"?  This Paper Mario 2.  It's the SEQUEL to Paper Mario.  Therefore it wouldn't make much sense to have the sequel be based on something new.  Plus the whole real draw of the Mario RPGs is that they star Mario.  If they starred someone else I think a lot of the appeal would be gone.

Paper Zelda?!  I like the idea of a Zelda RPG but not in the "Paper" style.  That just seems too goofy for Zelda in my opinion.  If you thought the Wind Waker backlash was big it would be nothing compared to that if Link could fold himself into a paper airplane.

Offline Bill Aurion

• NWR Forum Loli
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 01, 2004, 06:35:34 AM »
Yeah, only the Mario Universe fits well in "Paper mode"...

Offline Selochin

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 01, 2004, 10:13:51 AM »
 I'm much more knowledgable about Mario than Zelda, but after beating Super Mario Sunshine and playing the Wind Waker, I have to agree. Although both games rely heavily on fantasy aspects, something about the Zelda universe seems much better suited for a dark and gritty atmosphere.
Nintendo had better have something amazing planned for next generation if it plans to be a serious competitor.

Offline pyrokamileon

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 01, 2004, 10:28:21 AM »
well the zelda rpg doesn't have to be in paper form, it was just that the paper zelda idea sparked other ideas of a zelda rpg, and yes mario is more suited for the paper world and Link for a darker world.  plainly put I'd love to play a zelda rpg in any way, shape or form despite that fact that some may say they're just milking a franchise, it's what I'd want.
on the paper mario thing, I haven't gotten a chance to get my hands on the cart, but supposing it is that good I guess I'd better hurry and try it out.  I'm still not done with mario and luigi, but it quickly became one of my favorites.  
At some point, I'd think Nintendo fans would get sick of the anticipation and just say "screw it," but Nintendophiles are odd, odd creatures indeed.<BR>—Chris Carle, IGN

Offline odifiend

• "Who's the tough guy now Vinnie?"
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 01, 2004, 11:39:52 AM »
I have to agree with "why mario?"  The first parper mario had cute visuals keying you in that it was a story about the mario universe.  Now that you can actually perform oragami on yourself, I am wishing Nintendo did start a new franchise.  This could be a game by itself and doesn't need mario to carry it.  That and I want more smash bros. characters.  
Kiss the Cynic!

Offline nemo_83

• Dream Master
  • Score: -1
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 01, 2004, 02:32:21 PM »
I've been waiting for a fully 3d cel shaded Paper Mario SEQUEL for a long time.  I've been sickened lately by rummors that it might just be a ramake further solidifying GC's reputation of a game collector's system.

I don't mind that the view maybe similar to the original, but I would prefer cel shading to the exact same paper technique.  I thought cel shading was mostly inspired by Paper Mario's look.

Unfortunately for us they took the paper gimick one step too far.  Paper airplanes?  What's the boss?  King Kutter?  The Evil Scisors?  The Big Book of Matches?

At least fire balls will seem like a real threat in this Mario game.  Joking aside though, you guys are right.  Why do they do this with every idea they come up with.  They brainstorm behind a ninety foot tall bullet proof wall for three years until they come up with an idea that has nothing to do with Mairo or Zelda and then tack it on like we won't notice that it could have been an original game with real focus on back packs, or oragami, or sailing the open seas.  
Life is like a hurricane-- here in Duckburg

Offline nickmitch

• You can edit these yourself now?!
  • Score: 82
    • View Profile
    • FACEBOOK!
« Reply #15 on: April 01, 2004, 04:15:20 PM »
I personally found the sailing to be relaxing, but the airplane thing seems a little odd. As much as I like new and unusual ideas I really want to see this before I come to any conclusions.
TVman is dead. I killed him and took his posts.

Offline KDR_11k

• boring person
  • Score: 28
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: April 01, 2004, 08:00:24 PM »
Hm, a Zelda RPG should be done by Square, they have the style down pretty well. While playing FFCC I noticed a lot of things that seemed to be inspired by Wind Waker (or had the same inspiration as that game). The way enemies disappear into a purple/black cloud, the way your character handles the sword, the way the Moogles look... Especially the Moogles looked like they could have appeared in the Wind Waker.

Offline GoldShadow1

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: April 03, 2004, 08:56:41 AM »
Hmmm.. I loved the original Paper Mario (at least what I've played of it) so a sequel is good to hear.  I just hope that they innovate rather than letting the franchise stagnate like various other Mario spinoffs have..

Offline Avinash_Tyagi

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: April 03, 2004, 11:19:31 AM »
You didn't play Superstar saga did you?

And how can sports titles innovate without no longer being sports titls?

Offline KDR_11k

• boring person
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: April 03, 2004, 10:21:38 PM »
Avinash: How about new levels instead of only those stadiums that all play the same? Mutators? Optional weapons? If they can't add anything new they shouldn't make the games, simple as that. There's no law forcing them to make a new one every year.

Offline GoldShadow1

• View Profile
« Reply #20 on: April 04, 2004, 06:10:34 PM »
Exactly, KDR.  There's nothing that makes me want to buy a $50 sequel that hasn't made substantial improvements over an N64 game I can get for $15.

Don't get me wrong, though.  I have high hopes for this Paper Mario 2.  Come to think of it, I still need to go back and beat Paper Mario.  What I've played of it was extremely entertaining.

Offline Koopa Troopa

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: April 04, 2004, 06:20:25 PM »

Exactly, KDR. There's nothing that makes me want to buy a $50 sequel that hasn't made substantial improvements over an N64 game I can get for $15

I don't think KDR was talking about PM. So, what games do you like? Final Fantasy maybe? Dragon Warrior? They're bigger offenders than Paper Mario.
"Plan Your Strategy. Build an Army. Trust No One."

Offline mouse_clicker

• Pod 6 is jerks!
  • Score: 3
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: April 04, 2004, 06:24:28 PM »
Guys, I don't think there will be anything to worry about in terms of how different Paper Mario 2 will be. Paper Mario was a substantial improvement over Super Mario RPG and Mario and Luigi was a substantial improvement over Paper Mario, so odds are Paper Mario 2 will be a substantial improvement over Mario and Luigi. I surprised there's any debate over this at all.
"You know you're being too serious when Mouse tells you to lighten up... ^_^"<BR>-Bill

Offline KDR_11k

• boring person
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: April 04, 2004, 08:50:20 PM »
I was referring to the sports games.
Either way, I doubt this is just a minor update (hey, noone complained about Jak II or III or all the other sequels that came out or will come out soon). Of course there will be elements from the first game in this, else they wouldn't use the title, but, like almost every sequel, it will have new stuff compared to the first.

Offline mouse_clicker

• Pod 6 is jerks!
  • Score: 3
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: April 04, 2004, 08:55:09 PM »

(hey, noone complained about Jak II or III or all the other sequels that came out or will come out soon)

No one complained about Jak II or Ratchet and Clank 2, no, but everybody always seems to find the time to rail on Nintendo when they don't completely revolutionize a genre with every release.
"You know you're being too serious when Mouse tells you to lighten up... ^_^"<BR>-Bill