Author Topic: RE:Silicon Knights Breaks with Nintendo  (Read 14512 times)

Offline Joshums2

• Score: 0
    • View Profile
RE:Silicon Knights Breaks with Nintendo
« Reply #50 on: April 13, 2004, 08:54:14 PM »

Originally posted by: Grey Ninja
I would do ANYTHING for this news to not be true.

Would you stand on one foot?

Ph33r teh Joshums2

Offline NotRimmer

• Score: 5
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: April 13, 2004, 08:58:40 PM »

Would ya...would ya kill a man?
Hey guys what's going on in this forum?

Offline ThePerm

• predicted it first.
  • Score: 64
    • View Profile
RE: Silicon Knights Breaks with Nintendo
« Reply #52 on: April 13, 2004, 09:12:32 PM »
He is a Ninja...Ninja's kill with no regret
NWR has permission to use any tentative mockup/artwork I post

Offline DrZoidberg

• Secreted by the Internet Bee
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: April 13, 2004, 10:36:00 PM »

would you explain ED's deep literary references to me?
OUT OF DATE.

Offline Catbus Is Taken

• Slayer uppercuts you INTO OUTER SPACE!!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: April 13, 2004, 10:39:13 PM »

Originally posted by: S-U-P-E-R

would you work in a gas station?

THE PAIN OF WORKING IN A GAS STATION IS ALL CONSUMING
S-U-X-O-R

Offline Joshums2

• View Profile
« Reply #55 on: April 13, 2004, 10:41:32 PM »

Chiturga represents man's struggle with nature, Zolototh represents man's interpersonal struggle with himself, and Ulyoth represents man's struggle with society.  Deep stuff.
Ph33r teh Joshums2

Offline Armed

• View Profile
« Reply #56 on: April 13, 2004, 10:51:47 PM »
Y?! NO.... This really is a downer, my most anticipated game was gonna come from them, Too Human, and there is a chance that it wont be an exclusive to Nintendo or even come to Nintendo at all because of the kiddy image. If Too Human goes to a different console i'm oficially going to go multiplatform or maybe even give up on Nintendo the way things are going now... No sequel to Tales of Symphonia, Developers dropping off Nintendo, y is this happening?!? Now all i can really look forward to from Nintendo is Metroid 2, Custom Robo, and Zelda WW2. These guys were my favorite developers maybe i'm overreacting because of the shock this news has brought me, but these were the guys that made me stick with Nintendo, they made me think Nintendo was gonna become number one again with the way these guys created their games, and they didn't mind making it for mature audiences, so Nintendo had a chance of reaching the "older" crowd. Maybe i will feel better tomorrow morning, maybe it's because of fatigue from my job that is doing all this overreacting, but right now i feel like selling my Gamecube and getting a PS2!!!!! Or even breaking my Gamecube!! AHHHHH!!!! I'm done, this is really depressing my new favorite Nintendo developer gone just like that...... evil;
If you like to read comics click below
**My cousin made it, pretty cool**
"Bilaran Wars"-Click Me

Offline Joshums4

• View Profile
« Reply #57 on: April 13, 2004, 10:55:51 PM »

Originally posted by: Joshums2

Chiturga represents man's struggle with nature, Zolototh represents man's interpersonal struggle with himself, and Ulyoth represents man's struggle with society.  Deep stuff.

Your mom is deep stuff

Offline Catbus Is Taken

• Slayer uppercuts you INTO OUTER SPACE!!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: April 13, 2004, 11:10:23 PM »

Originally posted by: Joshums4

Originally posted by: Joshums2

Your mom is deep stuff

WHOA LEFTFIELD
S-U-X-O-R

Offline ruby_onix

• Obsessive Sailormoon Fanatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: April 13, 2004, 11:17:22 PM »
Hmmm... what to say that hasn't been said to death in one thread or another?

It feels to me that this news is a bigger blow than the loss of Rare. On a personal level, I liked Silicon Knights better than Rare, even though I only really saw Eternal Darkness (which is still stuck in my "must play" pile, sorry Denis) and MGS:TTS (which my brother needs to lend me, already) from SK, but I felt that SK had about as much "potential" going for them as Rare did at their N64-era height.

The loss of Rare was pretty shocking (although I have been telling people since Square left that they were putting way too much faith in the made-up "second party" label), but the loss of SK makes it seem like a "trend". Not only is Nintendo unable to hang onto any shreds of third party support, but they can't even hang onto their second parties anymore. Jonny had to point out earlier that we knew for sure that Retro wouldn't be jumping ship, because Nintendo completely OWNS them. Is that what it takes? People will ditch Nintendo, unless you nail them to their seats? Next thing you know, people will be questioning Miyamoto's loyalty. Oh wait, some people already are doing that...

Now, I know that we need to wait for some more news before we start jumping to conclusions. I mean, look at Factor 5. They've never been a "second party" to Nintendo, but they often seem to be as good as one, or better.

But I can't see how this downgrade in SK's Nintendo-relationship status could possibly be a good thing for Nintendo fans. I mean, look at Factor 5 again. They're under growing pressure to support other platforms. Last I heard, didn't they say they were porting Rogue Leader 2 to the XBox?

And some people say that this might be better for SK. That Nintendo never advertised their games enough. Mature games sell better on the PS2 and XBox. Do you really think that any other third party publishers would be willing to spend more money backing SK than Nintendo did? And sure, Silent Hill sells better on the PS2/XBox than Eternal Darkness did on the GameCube. But do you think PS2/XBox owners would take  a game like ED over a game like Silent Hill?

Hey Denis, if you're reading this, I do wish you luck. No matter where you end up, or what games you end up doing. Especially if you end up right here though, on Nintendo systems, digging gems like the MSX versions of Metal Gear 1&2 (and maybe some Tokimeki Memorial, pretty please) out of the Konami vault for us. That'd be great!  
Poor people should eat wheat!
I'm about to go punk up some 3rd parties so they don't release games on other hardware, ciao!
- Ken Kutaragi

Offline KDR_11k

• boring person
  • Score: 28
    • View Profile
« Reply #60 on: April 14, 2004, 12:49:06 AM »
I was angry about the ToS multiplatform announcement, but I really don't care about this. So they're going, what are we loosing? Too Human? For all we know this could be just another Daikatana or Duke Nukem Forever. What makes everybody here believe that Dennis Dyack is going to make you his bitch?

Offline Uncle Rich AiAi

• Abandoner
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: April 14, 2004, 01:00:46 AM »
This is a shocker.  I really don't know what to say.  This came out of nowhere.  I didn't really think much of ED, but loved MGS: TTS.  I was looking forward to their future games.

I get the feeling losing SK will not be as big as you think.  Maybe Nintendo let them go because their games didn't sell well?  Yeah, you all say that was b/c of lack of advertising and/or mature games sell better on PS2 & Xbox, but maybe Nintendo thought differently???  Konami's fault?  That's pure cockamamy.

Anyway, I wish SK the best of luck and hope they will support Nintendo consoles in the future.

Offline thecubedcanuck

• View Profile
« Reply #62 on: April 14, 2004, 02:35:25 AM »
Comparing this to rare is like comparing a great sandwich to a moldy piece of bologna.
Rare was a washed up has been developer when they left, SK is in their prime.

This is a big FU to the north american fanbase from Iwata.  
Having sex when your 90 is like shooting pool with a piece of rope

Offline Mario

• IWATA BOAT!?
  • Score: 8
    • View Profile
« Reply #63 on: April 14, 2004, 02:42:03 AM »
Not really, unless Silicon Knights exploring other avenues somehow triggered Iwata's middle finger to rise while he was coincidently looking straight at the whole North American fanbase somehow.

Offline Infernal Monkey

• burly British nanny wrapped in a blender
  • Score: 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: April 14, 2004, 02:43:28 AM »
I don't see how SK were in their 'prime'. They'd released one game two years ago, and a remake of a Konami game that's getting  average reviews. THEY ARE GOD.

Offline odifiend

• "Who's the tough guy now Vinnie?"
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: April 14, 2004, 03:47:05 AM »
The point is Nintendo is in a slump- THEY haven't put out a new idea since Pikmin and by looking at the name and the main characters, that game has so many references to other Nintendo franchises it isn't funny.  Why let your second party who brought new ideas to the table go.  The insanity effect is better than anything Nintendo has come up with in a long time.
SK game two years ago was a great experience and, for a change, it was a none multiplayer game with replay value.  Not since OoT and Super Mario have I replayed a single player game that many times.  Actually that's a lie- I'm currently replaying MGS:TTS.  If you read they 'average' reviews, what makes it average is that often the reviewer played the original.  What do you want SK to do, make a NEW game BASED on the first MGS?
If you are a gamer that can appreciate a plot (I know am talking to Nintendo loyalists, so I won't hold my breath) and great gameplay, you can't bash the twin snakes.  Kojima set up a solid story years ago, and in this new incarnation, the sound effects and the visuals are spot on thanks to SK.  They know how to tap in to the cube's power which is more than you can say for any developer including Nintendo (after playing the multimedia nightmare that was Pokemon Colloseum).
Kiss the Cynic!