Author Topic: Mighty Gunvolt Burst (Switch) Review  (Read 1249 times)

Offline Dlloyd82

• Score: 4
    • View Profile
Mighty Gunvolt Burst (Switch) Review
« on: June 15, 2017, 05:36:00 PM »

This Inti Creates game scratches an itch but doesn’t provide the cure

http://www.nintendoworldreport.com/review/44881/mighty-gunvolt-burst-switch-review

Regardless of your age, you probably have fond memories and favorite moments playing one of the games from the Mega Man series. At risk of giving away my age, I can safely say that the Mega Man game I remember playing the most was Mega Man 4 on my original Nintendo. I still remember the moment of defeating Dr Cossack, only to have my mind blown that it was Dr Wily all along. But why are we talking about Mega Man in a review for Mighty Gunvolt Burst? That's because the developers of this game, Inti Creates, have deep roots in the Mega Man franchise. The roots go very deep, as Inti Creates was founded by a group of ex-Capcom staffers who were tasked to develop 10 different Mega Man titles and recently worked with Keiji Inafune, an artist from the original Mega Man series.

Mighty Gunvolt Burst is a merger of two ongoing series, Azure Striker Gunvolt and Mighty No. 9. Both of these games have looked to become the spiritual successors to different parts of the Mega Man series, so it seems like a natural fit to combine the characters for a traditional 2D platform adventure. The problem with spiritual successors is that it is hard to judge the new game without comparing it to its predecessor; that's where Mighty Gunvolt Burst falls short.

Mighty Gunvolt Burst follows the usual formula: eight levels each with a unique element that ends with a boss that needs to be defeated. The levels aren’t particularly memorable, and the same enemies appear in each of the levels. The bosses in Mighty Gunvolt Burst are just as forgettable as the levels, to the point where the name of the boss flashes too quickly to even read. The boss fights don’t provide much of a challenge, as each boss has a very recognizable pattern with little to no variation. Mega Man veterans will likely get through the game quite quickly. Each of the main levels will run approximately 10 minutes with the whole game taking a couple hours.

Even with all the shortcomings of Mighty Gunvolt Burst, I still did enjoy playing the game. The movement of the character is smooth and responsive. At no point during the game did I feel cheated on a death. Upgrades to your character are provided as you progress through each level, leading to new strengths and abilities. Before each level and anytime during gameplay, you have the option to reconfigure your character's abilities to suit your situation. The ability to change the form and function of your weapon allows for a slight variation in progressing through the game.

As for a recommendation, I think Mighty Gunvolt Burst is going to create some division among gamers. If you’re waiting for Capcom to bring back the glory days of Mega Man, this game will likely leave you angry and unsatisfied. However, if you have a few bucks to spend and you're not invested in neither the story nor characters and just want to play a decent side-scrolling action platformer, than Mighty Gunvolt Burst might be for you.

Offline Phil

• Good day, citizens!
  • Score: 51
    • View Profile
    • SuperPhillip Central
Re: Mighty Gunvolt Burst (Switch) Review
« Reply #1 on: June 18, 2017, 05:31:54 PM »
I agree with everything but the boss thoughts. They have numerous attacks instead of just one or two that the Mega Man series offers, especially the earlier Classic sub-series games. I also liked seeing the Mighty Numbers in a game that wasn't completely average at best. That said, I've only done two levels so far of the eight: Countershade and Pyrogen, so my opinion may change. Those two were quite varied and challenging, though!  :Q
Switch Friend Code: SW-4962-7799-3963 (Phil)