Author Topic: Episode 184: Food for the Soul  (Read 3237 times)

Offline Traveller

• NWR Staff
  • Score: 14
    • View Profile
Episode 184: Food for the Soul
« on: August 06, 2015, 01:42:00 PM »

It's all about the music this week.

http://www.nintendoworldreport.com/connectivity/40882/episode-184-food-for-the-soul

This week on Connectivity we feature an experimental segment all about music, called Themesters.

Nicholas Bray and special guest host Perry Burkum play the music from Mother/Earthbound Beginning's. The segment features both the original OST tracks from the game, along with some great covers from Perry. Interspersed throughout, the duo discuss both the music and various elements from the game, along with some other tidbits. We hope you all find this segment enjoyable, let us know what you think!

We would also like to mention that the Connectivity live show will be happening at the end of the month, we will talk about it more on the next episode, along with more detailed plans on the site, stay tuned.

If you liked the musical covers on this episode, you can check them out over on Soundcloud .

Be sure to send us your listener mail by clicking here.

We'll be back with our new standard format in a couple of weeks.

Thanks for listening

Nicholas Bray - Australian Correspondent

Offline Jilla

• Score: 0
    • View Profile
Re: Episode 184: Food for the Soul
« Reply #1 on: August 07, 2015, 01:46:40 PM »
Loved hearing thoughts about the music. Loved the music. The art of the characters and their Blugrass instruments is very neat. Very enjoyable. Somewhat spooky/ melancholy, yet nicely calm and relaxing. Mother would be proud:)

Offline TOPHATANT123

• Wear a hat that's foil lined in case an alien's inclined to probe your butt or read your mind
  • Score: 12
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 08, 2015, 02:15:22 AM »
My favourite music as I played through the game were the eight melodies you acquire. There is no perticular order to getting them so it was like fitting a musical jigsaw puzzle together, it hadn't been done before and hasn't been done since as far as I know, but it's a really satisfying way of showing progression.

Loved this themsters segement and more would be very welcome.

Offline theumph

• Score: 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 08, 2015, 03:48:50 AM »
Hey, just wanted to say I loved the episode. Earthbound Zero (Sorry I still can't get myself to call it Earthbound Beginnings) was a great first choice for a music based episode.  I think it's a great concept, and would love to hear more in the future. I'd love to hear an episode on any of the Donkey Kong Country games. David wise is ridiculously good. Also, any Zelda would be an obvious encore.

Offline Traveller

• NWR Staff
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 11, 2015, 04:12:27 AM »
Thanks everyone, glad you enjoyed it. We will do some more of these segments for sure.

Connectivity going forward will be refining the more structured show format, whilst also leaving the door open for these different kinds of singularly focused ones. :)

Offline Sundoulos

• My mascot is a type of toxic algae
  • Score: 27
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 13, 2015, 11:16:07 PM »
I can't tell you how much I enjoyed this episode!  Yes, please include more segments like this; I'll look forward to it!  Are you planning to stick to retro games, or are you planning to cover more contemporary games as well?
"A creature revolting against a creator is revolting against the source of his own powers--including even his power to revolt...It is like the scent of a flower trying to destroy the flower." - C.S. Lewis, in a preface to Milton's Paradise Lost

Offline Traveller

• NWR Staff
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 14, 2015, 06:41:53 AM »
I can't tell you how much I enjoyed this episode!  Yes, please include more segments like this; I'll look forward to it!  Are you planning to stick to retro games, or are you planning to cover more contemporary games as well?

Yup, content wise I do want to feature some things outside of the normal episodes.

The Themesters segment isn't going to be limited to any era, there could certainly be one for a more modern game.