Author Topic: Backwards Compatibility - Good or Bad?  (Read 16319 times)

Offline UncleBob

• (PATRON)
  • NWR Junior Ranger
  • Score: 98
    • View Profile
Backwards Compatibility - Good or Bad?
« on: February 16, 2013, 09:27:09 AM »
That's a dumb question, right?  Who could possibly think having instant access to last generations best and most beautiful titles right at launch could be a bad thing?

Publishers.  That's who.

More than once, I've seen posts by people saying stuff along the lines of picking up a Wii U and playing all the great Wii games they missed while waiting for the "good games" to come out.  Perfectly reasonable.  Unless you're trying to establish a baseline of sales on a new system to justify to your internal investors and marketing team that a new system is worth developing for.

It seems like we ran into this with the DS launch, 3DS launch and now, the Wii U's launch (Dunno about the GBC/GBA launches).  Heck, even the Wii had a pretty low tie-in ratio starting out (I'm not sure it ever really got much better, but how much of that is due to BC vs. old people who bought it for Wii Sports alone is hard to say).

The rumors are that the new xBox and PlayStation won't be backwards compatible.  Are they on to something?  Did Microsoft have it right with the 360, slowly adding in BC for most of the original xBox catalog?  Or Sony, by only launching a limited amount of consoles with the feature?  Or, does Nintendo have it right, with full last-gen BC?
Just some random guy on the internet who has a different opinion of games than you.

Offline smallsharkbigbite

• Score: -7
    • View Profile
Re: Backwards Compatibility - Good or Bad?
« Reply #1 on: February 16, 2013, 04:03:29 PM »
Backwards compatible is great for everybody.  Consumers get access to more content.  Hardware makers have games available while a lineup of next gen games is being developed. 

I think the problem is specifically for Sony/Microsoft, is that the PS3 and Xbox 360 are very complicated systems and hardware is not increasing at the level it once was.  They used to say that you needed a system 10x as powerful to emulate an older system.  The PS4, Xbox 720 will probably be 2-3 times as powerful as current gen.  And unless they used a similar architecture, it's going to be very difficult to emulate.

Offline Oblivion

• Score: -253
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 16, 2013, 04:42:06 PM »
It's not about how much stronger the new system is, it's about the new systems having parts completely incompatible with the old hardware. For example, the PS3 uses the Cell chip. The PS4? AMD parts. Completely different architecture.

I don't care for backwards compatibility, only to make it faster when I want to play an older game.
« Last Edit: February 16, 2013, 04:44:58 PM by Oblivion »

Offline Ceric

• Once killed four Deviljho in one hunt
  • Score: 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 16, 2013, 07:53:02 PM »
Honestly I think its a QoL issue.  Rarely is it a big reason to buy a system.  Just a Value Add. 
Need a Personal NonCitizen-Magical-Elf-Boy-Child-Game-Abused-King-Kratos-Play-Thing Crimm Unmaker-of-Worlds-Hunter-Of-Boxes
so, I don't have to edit as Much.

Offline Shaymin

• Not my circus, not my monkeys
  • NWR Staff
  • Score: 70
    • View Profile
    • You're on it
« Reply #4 on: February 17, 2013, 10:59:01 AM »
It's good for consumers by allowing them to keep their late purchases relevant for a longer period.

Naturally, publishers hate this.
Donald Theriault - News Editor, Nintendo World Report / 2016 Nintendo World Champion
Tutorial box out.

Offline NWR_insanolord

• Rocket Fuel Malt Liquor....DAMN!
  • NWR Staff Pro
  • Score: -18986
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 17, 2013, 12:37:36 PM »
I like backwards compatibility, and want to see it when possible, but not having it isn't likely to prevent me from buying a system, and I think that's a common sentiment. Combine that with the fact that publishers want you to buy new games with new hardware, and you see why it's not a priority for console makers.

I think the model Sony took with the PS3 after they removed full backwards compatibility is an interesting one. I'm pretty sure current PS3s are backward compatible with PS1 games through emulation, including discs as well as PSN releases. This gives some level of BC, but not the most recent system, which removes a lot of publishers' concerns and lessens the technological issues.
Insanolord is a terrible moderator.

J.P. Corbran
NWR Community Manager and Soccer Correspondent

Offline Ian Sane

• Champion for Urban Champion
  • Score: 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 18, 2013, 03:18:41 PM »
If I had things my way the top of your Wii U would look like a toaster with cartidge slots for NES, SNES and N64 games.  Considering all the times I've had to **** around with my old NES to get it to work a more reliable modern piece of hardware that plays that stuff would be nice.  But they would think that would cut into VC sales and they're probably right to some extent.

Backwards compatibility was a major factor in my GBA purchase.  I had never owned a Game Boy before and the GBA came out right around the time I started my career and thus had stready income for the first time.  While there were a few GBA launch titles that grabbed my interest, for me all the classic GB and GBC games were part of the purchasing decision.

But then the priority isn't to sell Wii U's to people who never had a Wii and would appreciate backwards compatibility.  The priority is to get Wii owners to upgrade and unless they trade in their old system BC is unnecessary for them.  Plus most of the world is not so videogame savy as us.  The whole reason stuff like Angry Birds is popular is because for most videogames are mindless disposable entertainment.  They don't care about playing some old games because old games might as well not exist.  The bulk of the console buyers live entirely in the present.

What I would like is retro systems that are released entirely for the niche market of classic game enthusiasts.  You can buy like the Retro Duo for example that plays NES and SNES games but it is third party and uses emulation.  I would love to have a first party option that uses the real hardware.  Essentially I want Nintendo to re-release their old systems for hobbyists, but they won't because they figure it will eat into VC sales and they don't like the used nature of that market anyway.  But I would argue that for that market VC sales are already lost in favour of authentic original copies.  There might not be enough money to justify manufacturing the physical hardware, so I don't know how feasible this even would be.  But with a lack of interest from the general public about BC, perhaps these companies should cater the functionality for the retro gamers that do.

My attitude is that if there is a market for record players for enthusiasts in a MP3 dominated world, perhaps there could be such a market for retro videogame systems.

Offline ejamer

• Does he even know Khushrenada?!?
  • Score: 24
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 18, 2013, 04:09:15 PM »
So how come publishers aren't releasing Wii games, if they believe that a meaningful portion of the Wii U market is still actively looking at older games? The combined Wii/Wii U install base is huge, and there isn't much competition on either system. Oh right... they stopped developing for Wii years ago because nobody buys third-party games on the console.

The claim that backwards compatibility is a red flag for publishers reeks to me, just like all the other excuses thrown out when publishers simply don't want to do something.

Release good games (that aren't completely undermined by releases on other systems at the same time) and gamers will buy them. Harder than it sounds, but not as hard as publishers make it out to be.
NNID: ejamer

Offline pokepal148

• Inquire within for reasonable rates.
  • Score: -9967
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 18, 2013, 04:21:09 PM »
you would think these 'next gen' games shouldn't have to compete with BC because their so much better then last gen could dream of
also it takes 3ghz of processing power to run every single snes game possible with 100% accuracy on pc for ONE GAME AT A TIME
« Last Edit: February 18, 2013, 04:26:22 PM by pokepal148 »

Offline Ceric

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 18, 2013, 04:48:43 PM »
Honestly,
If you made most your profit on Hardware sales then BC makes a lot more sense.  Anything that pushes Hardware at any cost.  Its not.  Software is where the real money is.  By definition BC games are no longer in print and therefore no longer making the publisher or console holder any money.  BC is a Value Add plain and simple.  They don't make any real money off it.
Need a Personal NonCitizen-Magical-Elf-Boy-Child-Game-Abused-King-Kratos-Play-Thing Crimm Unmaker-of-Worlds-Hunter-Of-Boxes

Offline ejamer

• Does he even know Khushrenada?!?
  • Score: 24
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 18, 2013, 07:17:10 PM »
Honestly,
If you made most your profit on Hardware sales then BC makes a lot more sense.  Anything that pushes Hardware at any cost.  Its not.  Software is where the real money is.  By definition BC games are no longer in print and therefore no longer making the publisher or console holder any money.  BC is a Value Add plain and simple.  They don't make any real money off it.

With the uncommon exception of publishers putting out games for the old console (such as PS2 games getting released well into PS3 lifecycle), they don't make money off backwards compatibility. Sure.

But the question is about whether backwards compatibility hurts sales of new games. People don' t buy a new console for old games -- if they wanted to play an old Mario game then they'll drop $60 for a used Wii, not $300+. If that is true, then any slight bump that backwards compatibility creates in console sales can only help. Old gamers who migrate over to new hardware sooner than they would have otherwise expand the potential market and reduce the pain caused by an install base "reset". Once gamers have the console, they will buy games if (and only if) the price and quality of those games is appealing.

From the publisher standpoint, the only argument against backwards compatibility seems to be: "consumers shouldn't expect high quality experiences from early games released on the platform, but should still be willing to open their wallets and pay full price for whatever we offer".  For me, that doesn't hold any weight.
« Last Edit: February 18, 2013, 07:20:45 PM by ejamer »
NNID: ejamer

Offline Adrock

• Chill, Valentine
  • Score: 138
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 18, 2013, 09:26:48 PM »
Backwards compatibility can be a bad thing if newer, better technology is sacrificed for the sake of the ability to place legacy software. For example, I've read some speculation that Wii U's Espresso CPU is being held back by being based on Wii's Broadway and by extension, Gamecube's Gekko CPU. Think about that. If true, Espresso would be based on technology over 10 years old which falls in line with reports that Espresso is weak or slow. Why do that? So there can be a Wii Channel for backwards compatibility inside the Wii U? I can't comment on the validity of that claim. The point is if Nintendo (or any company) held back on more advanced hardware for the purpose of 100% fidelity with old games, that's problematic. They would be jeopardizing the future because of the past which doesn't make sense. When it comes down to it, I hope every company chooses the potential and reality of the future than the memory of the past.

Offline Morari

• 46 DC EA D3 17 FE 45 D8 09 23 EB 97 E4 95 64 10 D4 CD B2 C2
  • Score: -7237
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 18, 2013, 10:05:28 PM »
How are these companies supposed to re-sell you digital versions and "enhanced director's cut" versions of the same games if you're still able to simply load the original up? It's mostly a cash grab, but it's also laziness in the way that the hardware is designed.

I'm pretty fond of being able to load up the same copy of Quake and Diablo that I've had since 1996 with no problems at all.
"This post has been censored for your protection."

--Bureau of Internet Morality

Offline alegoicoe

• Score: -1
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 19, 2013, 12:49:51 AM »
good for gamers/recently bad for companies ::)
Nintendo Network ID: LivByDCreed
Switch Friend Code: SW-4906-9561-1308

Offline TJ Spyke

• Ass
  • Score: -1350
    • View Profile
    • Spyke Shop
« Reply #14 on: February 19, 2013, 01:14:47 AM »
How are these companies supposed to re-sell you digital versions and "enhanced director's cut" versions of the same games if you're still able to simply load the original up?

Same way studios like Warner Bros. sucker idiots into buying 8 different copies of each Lord of the Rings movie.
Help out a poor college student, buy video games and Blu-ray Discs at: http://astore.amazon.com/spyke-20

Offline Oblivion

• Score: -253
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: February 19, 2013, 01:57:35 AM »
I only buy the extended editions.

Offline NWR_insanolord

• Rocket Fuel Malt Liquor....DAMN!
  • NWR Staff Pro
  • Score: -18986
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: February 19, 2013, 01:58:36 AM »
How are these companies supposed to re-sell you digital versions and "enhanced director's cut" versions of the same games if you're still able to simply load the original up?

Same way studios like Warner Bros. sucker idiots into buying 8 different copies of each Lord of the Rings movie.

I agree with TJ Spyke here, you'll see that kind of thing regardless of whether or not there's backward compatibility. Look at the New Play Control series on Wii: (arguably) enhanced versions of games that could already be played on the system through BC. All they need is a hook, be it new controls or cleaned up visuals or tweaks here and there.
Insanolord is a terrible moderator.

J.P. Corbran
NWR Community Manager and Soccer Correspondent

Offline Ceric

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: February 19, 2013, 08:52:27 AM »
Backwards compatibility can be a bad thing if newer, better technology is sacrificed for the sake of the ability to place legacy software. For example, I've read some speculation that Wii U's Espresso CPU is being held back by being based on Wii's Broadway and by extension, Gamecube's Gekko CPU. Think about that. If true, Espresso would be based on technology over 10 years old which falls in line with reports that Espresso is weak or slow. Why do that? So there can be a Wii Channel for backwards compatibility inside the Wii U? I can't comment on the validity of that claim. The point is if Nintendo (or any company) held back on more advanced hardware for the purpose of 100% fidelity with old games, that's problematic. They would be jeopardizing the future because of the past which doesn't make sense. When it comes down to it, I hope every company chooses the potential and reality of the future than the memory of the past.
Um... Its not.  In the hardware Nintendo Direct for WiiU  Iwata didn't know how they were going to do BC because it wasn't based on the old processor.  It was when the Chip people they were working with went "Oh this right here is the same as this." and started pointing out the similarity and adding in the few bits that would need to be specific.

Though I will point everyone to PC.  That is a platform that is severly held back because of BC.  Did you know in the Original Product Map for Intel processors we should all be on IA64 processors.  Which is a better architecture but, AMD extended x86 AGAIN to make todays 64 bits processors and Intel had to follow.  Their have been better, faster  architecture and memory designs for computers for a long time but, their not out their because of BC.  I mean a lot of the problems with WIndows is because Microsoft can't kill BC in it and move on.
« Last Edit: February 19, 2013, 08:55:58 AM by Ceric »

Offline Ian Sane

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: February 19, 2013, 01:44:14 PM »
PC backwards compatibility has been the standard for so long that if Windows ditched it, I would hold off on updating as I have too much old stuff that I bring with me from PC to PC.  The software company I work for would also be pretty fucked from such a decision.  We wouldn't have the resources to port everything to the new standard in a decent timeframe.

One thing I just thought of is that BC is nice for developers that have games arriving on the old system shortly before or after the new one arrives.  Typically when the new system is out, its predecessor is regarded as out-of-date and new games that come out for the old system don't get the same amount of attention.  However if you released a new Wii game this month, during a post-launch drought for the Wii U, it might sell better to Wii U owners looking for something else to play on their new system.  No one has to hook up an old system or anything like that, it just works.  As time goes on the newer system gets more releases so the old system does not stand out anymore but for that brief six-to-eight month window when the new system has come out but not yet truly established itself, a new game for the old system can still attract some attention, at least more so than any 1992 NES or 1997 SNES game would have.  If the Wii U didn't have BC, there is no way Pandora's Tower would be getting localized at this point.  Xseed knows they can sell it to both Wii and Wii U owners, during a time where no other Wii U game will steal the spotlight.

Of course is that worth it to the manufacturer to please a small handful of devs that would benefit from it?  Probably not.

Offline Ceric

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: February 19, 2013, 03:50:28 PM »
PC backwards compatibility has been the standard for so long that if Windows ditched it, I would hold off on updating as I have too much old stuff that I bring with me from PC to PC.  The software company I work for would also be pretty fucked from such a decision.  We wouldn't have the resources to port everything to the new standard in a decent timeframe.
That's why people complain about Windows but, don't realize why it is how it is.  Apple actually did just that with OSX they ditched OS9 compatibility for the most part.  Then they ditched PowerPC compatibility.  Their Market share grew.  Now Apple has a large enough market share and non-Zealot following that they couldn't pull that again.

Offline NWR_DavidE

• NWR Staff Pro
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: February 19, 2013, 05:02:00 PM »
If I had things my way the top of your Wii U would look like a toaster with cartidge slots for NES, SNES and N64 games.

I'm going to agree and disagree with you.

It'd be nice, I've got a small selection of NES, and a slightly larger collection of N64 games that I'd love to be able to play without having to repurchase on the VC.

However! I purchased the Deluxe version of the Wii U so that I could stand it on its end. (I feel that it does look a little nicer, and also it takes less room on my desk.) In this way, it'd be quite awkward to use the toaster method of reading game cartridges. Also, not to mention that the slots are slightly different for each different cartridge so it's not one-size-fits-all. What I suggest would be a USB breakout. Just a small box (maybe 1in x 6in x 4in [h x w x d]) would suffice with a 2 ft cable that goes to the U. Problem with this would be price. Nintendo could charge an arm and a leg since they only have to sell one accessory [as opposed to multiple games], for games that aren't even manufactured!

But that's just my $0.02. I'd love the ability to play my old games (save states and all) on my Wii U since my NES doesn't read carts right anymore (too busy to fix), and my only good N64 controller has a really loose joystick. In all honesty though, I don't see Nintendo doing this any time soon, as their VC solution works "well enough."
David Egolf - Programmer

Offline NWR_Neal

• NWR Staff Pro
  • Score: 27
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: February 19, 2013, 05:46:43 PM »
I wouldn't say I think backwards compatibility is mandatory (I believe the 360 excuse was also technological), but it is a nice thing to include. Especially with digital content being a major aspect of consoles, I absolutely want my old content to transfer over to my new system.

I bought a Vita partially because I never bought a PSP.

The Wii could play games from every single Nintendo home console, thanks to BC and Virtual Console. That is so rad and I want that to be the norm for every system. Even if I have to rebuy old games for a few bucks, I'd rather have less systems needed to play my games. My 3DS is loaded to the brim with Game Boy, Game Boy Color, NES, Game Gear, 3DS, eShop, and DSiWare games. It's the best system ever because of that. Oh yea, and it can play my DS games, too. <3 3DS.
Neal Ronaghan
Director, NWR

"Fungah! Foiled again!"

Offline smallsharkbigbite

• Score: -7
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: February 20, 2013, 07:41:05 PM »
Ian,
I've often wondered why Nintendo or other publishers don't rerelease older consoles.  Like Nintendo releasing a 25 year anniversary version of the toploader (updated with modern outputs).  They could probably sell it for something like $79 with two controllers.  Then they could also release a classics collection, I.E. Mario 3 cartridge for $19, etc.  Since there wouldn't be any real development and the cost would be neglible, it would be all profit. 

Ceric,
PC may be held back from a technical standpoint, but losing BC would make any new PC useless for me.  Heck, I think 90% of the time I use a PC for personal reasons it could run on Windows 2000.  And computers are silly fast anyway for almost anything you do.  Businesses or power users might like a bump in power but realistically most people don't even use their current computers to their full potential.
« Last Edit: February 20, 2013, 07:43:04 PM by smallsharkbigbite »

Offline thedefalcos

• Score: -1
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: February 21, 2013, 04:22:02 PM »

What I would like is retro systems that are released entirely for the niche market of classic game enthusiasts.  You can buy like the Retro Duo for example that plays NES and SNES games but it is third party and uses emulation.  I would love to have a first party option that uses the real hardware.  Essentially I want Nintendo to re-release their old systems for hobbyists, but they won't because they figure it will eat into VC sales and they don't like the used nature of that market anyway.  But I would argue that for that market VC sales are already lost in favour of authentic original copies.  There might not be enough money to justify manufacturing the physical hardware, so I don't know how feasible this even would be.  But with a lack of interest from the general public about BC, perhaps these companies should cater the functionality for the retro gamers that do.

My attitude is that if there is a market for record players for enthusiasts in a MP3 dominated world, perhaps there could be such a market for retro videogame systems.

Actually, the guys on the NWR podcast had a fantastic idea that would solve that problem.  Just come out with a system that has internet connectivity so that you have to buy the games from the eshop. So, no slot for a catridge/disc, but at least you still get the feel of those old game consoles without the price tag and hassle. It would appeal to people like me who don't care to buy a 3DS just to play retro mobile games (which is really the only reason why I'd buy it) and it would also appeal to people who will NEVER buy a new home console (think atari flashback). You could mass produce them for super cheap (with better screen tech and smaller for handhelds) and make quite a bit of money on the hardware, too.  Maybe even go the Kindle route and put advertisements for Wiiu/3DS stuff.

I think it was Metts who said that they could make them limited editions so it won't affect long term sales of newer consoles. I would buy ALL of them. Seriously.

Offline Ian Sane

• View Profile
« Reply #24 on: February 21, 2013, 04:45:17 PM »

Actually, the guys on the NWR podcast had a fantastic idea that would solve that problem.  Just come out with a system that has internet connectivity so that you have to buy the games from the eshop. So, no slot for a catridge/disc, but at least you still get the feel of those old game consoles without the price tag and hassle. It would appeal to people like me who don't care to buy a 3DS just to play retro mobile games (which is really the only reason why I'd buy it) and it would also appeal to people who will NEVER buy a new home console (think atari flashback). You could mass produce them for super cheap (with better screen tech and smaller for handhelds) and make quite a bit of money on the hardware, too.  Maybe even go the Kindle route and put advertisements for Wiiu/3DS stuff.

I think it was Metts who said that they could make them limited editions so it won't affect long term sales of newer consoles. I would buy ALL of them. Seriously.

I wouldn't buy that in 100 years.  My problem is that I have a bunch of old games and like collecting them but having functional hardware that plays them can be tricky.  The NES in particularly is horribly unreliable.  If I just wanted to play the games I'd just use the VC.  I want to play the old cartridges that I still buy from flea markets and used collectible stores and such on a regular basis.  Your suggestion is like saying I could use iTunes to listen to old music.  That's not the point.  I want a record player to play old records.

I should also point out that I'm being a major purist here.  There are old games that are no longer currently available in any form because of licensing issues.  Emulation is also spotty and going with the legitimate hardware is a way to know for certain that you're playing it as originally intended.  The games industry just does not take old content seriously enough to put in a proper effort.  We get spotty emulation or re-releases with new features that screw up the balance of the game or have updated graphics and stuff like that.

However if this "VC Box" ALSO had cartridge slots that would be pretty damn cool.  I'll buy that and then Nintendo can still sell the downloads if they want to.

Ian,
I've often wondered why Nintendo or other publishers don't rerelease older consoles.  Like Nintendo releasing a 25 year anniversary version of the toploader (updated with modern outputs).  They could probably sell it for something like $79 with two controllers.  Then they could also release a classics collection, I.E. Mario 3 cartridge for $19, etc.  Since there wouldn't be any real development and the cost would be neglible, it would be all profit. 

I figure they think it would eat into sales of re-releases or just wouldn't appeal to a big enough market.  Nintendo is very much into big mainstream hits so some fringe product that appeals to geeks does not seem like it would be on their radar.  Someone like Reggie probably has no idea about any retro videogame scene at all.  The funny thing is that someone is making money of off systems like the Retro Duo and replacement SNES controllers and replacement NES cartridge connectors.  There clearly is SOME market and, if not embarassingly overpriced, an official Nintendo version of that stuff would probably squash the third party stuff.  If you were interested in a Retro Duo and a new legitimate Nintendo version of that product existed isn't that the one you would get?  Let's not ignore the used game systems that sell on eBay that Nintendo currently gets $0 from.  The products exist and someone is buying them and Nintendo doesn't make a dime off any of it.