Author Topic: First Wii U Ad Shown in the United Kingdom  (Read 8483 times)

Offline Daan

• NWR Staff
  • Score: 10
    • View Profile
First Wii U Ad Shown in the United Kingdom
« on: October 21, 2012, 07:37:36 PM »

Check out the first commercial for Nintendo's new system!

http://www.nintendoworldreport.com/news/32192

During the commercial breaks of the new "Homeland" episode in the United Kingdom, the first TV advertisement for the Wii U was shown.

The commercial focuses  on the features that make the Wii U and the GamePad controller unique. The ability to play a game solely on the GamePad was dicussed, as were asymmetric gameplay possibilities. Games used as examples were Nintendo Land, New Super Mario Bros. U, Batman Arkham City: Armored Edition, and ZombiU.

The Wii U hits Europe November 30, while North America will enjoy the system earlier, on November 18. Japan will receive the system December 8.

Offline leahsdad

• This title stolen by Rhythm Thief
  • Score: 8
    • View Profile
Re: First Wii U Ad Shown in the United Kingdom
« Reply #1 on: October 21, 2012, 07:42:44 PM »
Love the blunt hammer approach to messaging in the first 3 seconds:  "BRAND NEW CONSOLE WITH A BRAND NEW CONTROLLER!"
[Showing off game collection]

Oh yeah, I know I have 2 sealed copies of that game.   1 is for trading.  But people who collect Amiibos?  They really have a problem!

Offline cL7oud

• Score: -1
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 21, 2012, 08:27:25 PM »
Sony, take note. *trollface

Offline NWR_DavidE

• NWR Staff Pro
  • Score: 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 21, 2012, 08:41:25 PM »
Glitch Mob? I approve!
David Egolf - Programmer

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• Animal Crossing Hustler
  • Score: 409
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 21, 2012, 08:53:23 PM »
I heard the 1st U.S Advert is supposed to be a 60 sec. ad that takes place during X-Factor this week.

Offline Spak-Spang

• The Frightened Fox
  • Score: 39
    • View Profile
    • MirandaNew.com
« Reply #5 on: October 21, 2012, 09:50:12 PM »
Focuses on the strength of the system and its uniqueness...and not its power.

Brilliant Ad. 

Really good advertising...I hope the same ad is in the US.

Offline TJ Spyke

• Ass
  • Score: -1350
    • View Profile
    • Spyke Shop
« Reply #6 on: October 21, 2012, 10:07:19 PM »
Nice to see the first ad up, and plenty early too.
Help out a poor college student, buy video games and Blu-ray Discs at: http://astore.amazon.com/spyke-20

Offline vinniebrock

• Score: -5
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 21, 2012, 10:35:44 PM »
it certainly gets the point across, which is all that's important. I just think they could do better. Hoping the US ones are closer to the initial Wii ads.

Offline Phil

• Good day, citizens!
  • Score: 51
    • View Profile
    • SuperPhillip Central
« Reply #8 on: October 21, 2012, 10:43:27 PM »
Does its job for the market it is being shown on.
Switch Friend Code: SW-4962-7799-3963 (Phil)

Offline Lithium

• disparaging user title
  • Score: 14
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 21, 2012, 10:58:19 PM »
not a fan of the ad, but let me say this isn't the worst ad on TV right now.

I was going to spoof the chanel n5 ad but its so awful even spoofing it cant make it funny
« Last Edit: October 21, 2012, 11:04:42 PM by Lithium »

Offline Adrock

• Chill, Valentine
  • Score: 138
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 21, 2012, 11:06:23 PM »
The schping-schping part was kind of corny. Otherwise, it's not a terrible ad, perhaps a bit too on-the-nose. I like that Nintendo gives 3rd party titles priority. Mario sells itself and Nintendo Land comes with the Deluxe set so it's nice to see 3rd party titles get a push.
« Last Edit: October 22, 2012, 02:28:22 AM by Adrock »

Offline Eyothrie

• Score: 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 22, 2012, 12:41:37 AM »
The sizzle reel shows Mass Effect 3, then Trine 2, then Darksiders 2, then... Mass Effect 3 again!  Do they not QA this stuff?
RTR!

Offline azeke

• He's ruining Splatfest for the rest of us
  • Score: 11
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 22, 2012, 01:06:17 AM »
Sping, sping, sping!

It's eh.
Winners don't hate and W101 rocks

Offline Pixelated Pixies

• Just call me PixPix™
  • Score: -178
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 22, 2012, 02:23:02 AM »
This ad did nothing for me, but then again it's focusing on one of the things about the system that I don't care about. The gamepad. The ad was quite clearly designed to explain the premise of the system to people who don't visit game websites and therefore wouldn't know any better, but an ad like this is too similar to the Wii ones for my tastes.

"Look at people in their 'ripped from a magazine' living space doing things with a weird controller".

I suppose it worked well enough for Wii, so why not for Wii U? It's just that this sort of advertising makes the system look kind of square and a little dated. At least people will know it's a 'Brand New' system. That part they made very clear.
Gouge away.

Offline Tamazoid

• Score: -5
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: October 22, 2012, 02:55:24 AM »
I heard the 1st U.S Advert is supposed to be a 60 sec. ad that takes place during X-Factor this week.

You're a cruel cruel man BlackNMild :P.
Follow me on Twitter
Or join in at the castle

Offline Killer_Man_Jaro

• NWR Staff
  • Score: 22
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: October 22, 2012, 04:18:12 PM »
In terms of tackling the inherent issue of showing the GamePad being used concurrently with the TV, this advert does a pretty decent job. It's still in the same cheesy vein as the Wii and DS adverts that Nintendo UK has done for years now, but evidently, they were a success. Now to see if this ad starts showing up during prime time in the next few weeks.
Tom Malina
UK Correspondent
-----------------------------
"You'll have to speak up, I'm wearing a towel."

Offline Ian Sane

• Champion for Urban Champion
  • Score: 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: October 22, 2012, 06:08:35 PM »
I still think "No more fighting over the TV" is like a 2012 solution to a 1962 problem.  Push that in Japan where, apparently, it means something but it so NOT a selling point in the West that you might as well put "use electricity" as a bullet point.  I think it looks worse to promote such an out-of-touch fuddy-duddy idea.  Tying it in with tablet usage and continuing to play the game in another room would be a more logical way to promote it here.  People like moving their tablet or laptop to different rooms in their house as they wish.  Assuming the Wii U has the range to do that, that would be the better function to emphasize.

Stating outright that it is a new console suggests that those of us that thought the design of the system was too similar to the Wii weren't off our rocker after all.

The bullet points in this ad in general all seemed like it look a real stretch to think of.  The concept just doesn't sell itself like motion control did.  They didn't have to explain that, it was just "hey you know how when you were a kid you wished you could swing your arm and have the guy in the game do the same thing?  So, um, yeah here it is."  This isn't the same kind of fantasy-fulfilling idea.  It is exactly what it is: a forced idea from a company trying to follow-up a groundbreaking idea.  Ideas like that don't come along every day and that's just how it is.

Offline NWR_insanolord

• Rocket Fuel Malt Liquor....DAMN!
  • NWR Staff Pro
  • Score: -18986
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: October 22, 2012, 10:43:46 PM »
People usually have more than one TV, but how many people have more than one really nice, big HDTV? There's also the idea that people would want to spend time together in the same room and this lets them do that but still do different things. I don't think it's as out of touch in the West as you make it seem.
Insanolord is a terrible moderator.

J.P. Corbran
NWR Community Manager and Soccer Correspondent

Offline Pixelated Pixies

• Just call me PixPix™
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: October 23, 2012, 02:08:38 AM »
I can only speak for myself, but the last time I had a dispute about sharing the TV would have been in 1993. I just don't see many people having this problem today. Maybe for younger siblings sharing a bedroom it's a problem, but for me this feature is a solution to a problem I simply don't have.
Gouge away.

Offline Stogi

• The Stratos You Should All Try To Be Like
  • Score: 18
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: October 23, 2012, 08:01:36 AM »
Remember, this is Nintendo (NINFUMMBBLE) we're talking about. This system is geared towards us but also kids. I know a few of you have children. Well I have a niece, and when she wants to watch spongebob or icarly or some other dumb ****, she gets what she wants. She's only 5 but she already knows how to work Netflix like a pro. And what if she wants to play videogames? This is the all inclusive package to getting your living room back from your asshole child.

(I love her so much)
« Last Edit: October 23, 2012, 08:03:58 AM by Stogi »
black fairy tales are better at sports

Offline Ceric

• Once killed four Deviljho in one hunt
  • Score: 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: October 23, 2012, 09:44:33 AM »
Remember, this is Nintendo (NINFUMMBBLE) we're talking about. This system is geared towards us but also kids. I know a few of you have children. Well I have a niece, and when she wants to watch spongebob or icarly or some other dumb ****, she gets what she wants. She's only 5 but she already knows how to work Netflix like a pro. And what if she wants to play videogames? This is the all inclusive package to getting your living room back from your asshole child.

(I love her so much)

Ironically, I can agree with this.

I can only speak for myself, but the last time I had a dispute about sharing the TV would have been in 1993. I just don't see many people having this problem today. Maybe for younger siblings sharing a bedroom it's a problem, but for me this feature is a solution to a problem I simply don't have.
I have that struggle almost every time I want to play a console game.  Now take into effect that all my TV is from the internet basically everyone else could use 1 of the 2 computers, Nook Tablet, and even My Phone to effectively do the same thing they want to do with the TV with the Consoles attached to it.

Not to mention being able to play something more adult with little kids in a small house.
« Last Edit: October 23, 2012, 09:49:09 AM by Ceric »
Need a Personal NonCitizen-Magical-Elf-Boy-Child-Game-Abused-King-Kratos-Play-Thing Crimm Unmaker-of-Worlds-Hunter-Of-Boxes
so, I don't have to edit as Much.

Offline King of Twitch

• twitch.tv/zapr2k i live for this
  • Score: 141
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: October 23, 2012, 01:48:35 PM »
crazy world where women and children kick GROWN men off their own television
"I deem his stream to be supreme and highly esteem his Fortnite team!" - The Doritos Pope and his Mountain Dew Crew.

Offline Ceric

• Once killed four Deviljho in one hunt
  • Score: 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: October 23, 2012, 02:29:11 PM »
crazy world where women and children kick GROWN men off their own television
Affirmative Action Strikes again.
Need a Personal NonCitizen-Magical-Elf-Boy-Child-Game-Abused-King-Kratos-Play-Thing Crimm Unmaker-of-Worlds-Hunter-Of-Boxes
so, I don't have to edit as Much.

Offline Mop it up

• And I've gotta say...
  • Score: 125
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: October 24, 2012, 07:52:00 PM »
This ad did nothing for me, but then again it's focusing on one of the things about the system that I don't care about. The ad was quite clearly designed to explain the premise of the system to people who don't visit game websites and therefore wouldn't know any better, but an ad like this is too similar to the Wii ones for my tastes.
What kind of advertising does do anything for you? Advertisements are for people who don't seek out information on their own, they aren't for people like you who visit game sites and know of upcoming products without seeing adverts.

Offline Pixelated Pixies

• Just call me PixPix™
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: October 25, 2012, 01:45:53 AM »
What kind of advertising does do anything for you? Advertisements are for people who don't seek out information on their own, they aren't for people like you who visit game sites and know of upcoming products without seeing adverts.

An advert's purpose should be not only to inform and explain the product, but also to sell it. I'm relatively knowledgeable about the Wii U, but I'm not at all sold on the idea. So to answer your question, the kind of advertisment that would have worked for me would have been one that sold me on the gameplay possibilities of the gamepad. Having an extra window into the game world is an exciting idea but I don't think Nintendo have done a very good job of presenting it.
Gouge away.