Author Topic: I for one welcome the glorious return of overconfident E3 2006 Sony.  (Read 74495 times)

Offline broodwars

• Hunting for a Pineapple Salad
  • Score: -1011
    • View Profile
Re: I for one welcome the glorious return of overconfident E3 2006 Sony.
« Reply #25 on: April 16, 2019, 07:54:22 PM »
- Contains super SSD with "a raw bandwidth higher than any SSD available for PCs"
So that's code for either a Proprietary, or non user replaceable storage solution for the PS5 right? Awesome!

I assume it stands for "Solid State Drive", referring to a very expensive form of harddrive you can buy right now that is incredibly fast. You could put one in your PS4 right now if you wanted & dramatically cut down on your load times. Of course, you're also going to be paying dearly for it, which makes me wonder how goddamn EXPENSIVE the PS5 will be. -_-
There was a Signature here. It's gone now.

Offline pokepal148

• Inquire within for reasonable rates.
  • Score: -9967
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: April 16, 2019, 08:07:50 PM »
The wording seems to imply that they're using some kind of proprietary variant of an SSD. Not that Sony would ever use proprietary memory on their devices. ;)

Offline ThePerm

• predicted it first.
  • Score: 64
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: April 16, 2019, 08:16:20 PM »
SSDs are fast. They're even faster if you design a game around how fast they are.
NWR has permission to use any tentative mockup/artwork I post

Offline Stratos

• Stale lazy meme pirate
  • Score: 70
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: April 17, 2019, 02:44:47 PM »
But SSDs are rapidly dropping in cost as well. You can get one for 2TB that has the top of the line specs for less than $200, so I would imagine they are using something like that and HOPEFULLY is drops in cost by the time PS5 releases in a year or so.
My Game Collection
NNID: Chronocast
Switch: SW-6786-5514-9978
3DS Friend Code: 0447-5723-6467
XBL Gamertag: Chronocast

Offline Super KYTim89

• Score: 3
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: May 26, 2019, 11:28:55 PM »
Sony saw how successful the PS4 was and they also  witnesses Microsoft  get away with the Xbox ONE X and decided the PS5 will most likely be $499.99 with no cheaper alternative.

Offline nickmitch

• You can edit these yourself now?!
  • Score: 82
    • View Profile
    • FACEBOOK!
« Reply #30 on: May 27, 2019, 10:01:47 PM »
I think, if anything, they'll probably keep an eye on Nintendo.  Sony put out a revision with a 'pro' version of the PS4 together, and Nintendo is rumored to be doing something similar for Switch.  MS put out an 's' model and then put out the 'X' over a full year later.  So getting one model out there and then doing the "cheaper" and "pro" version together seems to be the way to go.
TVman is dead. I killed him and took his posts.

Offline ejamer

• Does he even know Khushrenada?!?
  • Score: 24
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: June 11, 2020, 09:45:06 PM »
Is it really going to be that ridiculously ugly?
NNID: ejamer

Offline pokepal148

• View Profile
« Reply #33 on: June 11, 2020, 10:12:22 PM »
It took me way too long to accept that it isn't just a mock up of some kind.

Offline Adrock

• Chill, Valentine
  • Score: 138
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: June 12, 2020, 12:31:33 AM »
I don’t love the design, but I don’t hate it either. The Digital Edition looks better due to being symmetrical. That’s also the one I would get as I’m already all-digital on PS4. I don’t know why Sony loves designs that are more difficult to clean. Look at all those places dust can get into. Boo/hiss.

I’ll see where I am in 2025.

Also, Sony is still fucking with USB Type-A. Boo/hiss again.

Offline pokepal148

• View Profile
« Reply #35 on: June 12, 2020, 01:11:47 AM »
Eh, we're still kind of in a transition period for USB standards.

Offline Adrock

• Chill, Valentine
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: June 12, 2020, 02:06:54 AM »
Eh, we're still kind of in a transition period for USB standards.
No, you’re still holding on. Let go. It’s going to stay that way unless you let the past die. Kill it if you have to.
« Last Edit: June 13, 2020, 07:45:48 PM by Adrock »

Online NWR_insanolord

• Rocket Fuel Malt Liquor....DAMN!
  • NWR Staff Pro
  • Score: -18986
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: June 12, 2020, 04:01:56 AM »
Pokepal still uses a Blackberry, he's not the kind of person to ever let outdated tech go.
Insanolord is a terrible moderator.

J.P. Corbran
NWR Community Manager and Soccer Correspondent

Offline pokepal148

• View Profile
« Reply #38 on: June 19, 2020, 12:02:30 AM »
Apparently Naughty Dog is exempt from Sony's recent stand against sexual content in games because there's a full blown sex scene in TLOU2.

Offline pokepal148

• View Profile
« Reply #39 on: September 16, 2020, 07:06:30 PM »
Exclusive games? What are those?

*flips coin* You get a PC port.

*flips coin* You get a PS4 port

*flips coin* You get a PC port.

Offline Kairon

• T_T
  • NWR Staff Pro
  • Score: 48
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: September 17, 2020, 02:51:52 PM »
Sony was THIIIISSS close to repeating their whole "FIVE HUNDRED NINETY NINE US DOLLARS" fiasco. I think they were pulled back from that precipice by Microsoft pricing so aggressively.
Carmine Red, Associate Editor

A glooming peace this morning with it brings;
The sun, for sorrow, will not show his head:
Go hence, to have more talk of these sad things;
Some shall be pardon'd, and some punished:
For never was a story of more woe
Than this of Sega and her Mashiro.

Offline ThePerm

• predicted it first.
  • Score: 64
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: September 20, 2020, 03:11:38 AM »

I forgot to prediction gloat

I'd be interested in a really nice NES Cart sized sd card like format in shiny transparnet poly-acrylic shell which has gold leafed labels.

Damn no gold leaf labels. Not transparent. I wonder how long it will take Sony to just ship a game on that format.
NWR has permission to use any tentative mockup/artwork I post

Offline pokepal148

• View Profile
« Reply #42 on: March 31, 2021, 01:04:58 AM »
Continuing Sony Interactive Entertainment CEO's Jim Ryan's legacy of incompetence and disdain for Sony's heritage, Sony finally officially confirmed today the closure dates for the PS3, PSP, & Vita PSN Stores. This follows last year's removal of those systems from their redesigned-to-be-**** browser-based store.

The PS3 & PSP online stores will go offline on 7/2/21, and the Vita's store will go down on 8/27/21. This effectively permanently kills off the Vita (which was still seeing new indie games), as Sony shut down manufacturing of Vita game cards years ago so no new physical media can be produced.

The one good(ish) piece of news from all this is that owners of these consoles will still be able to redownload titles from their Download History, provided they're willing to scroll through the thousands of pages of entries they've accumulated by this point (I did that once. Never again).

I fucking despise Jim Ryan. I've never seen someone so dedicated to killing the PlayStation brand, from his censorship policies almost exclusively against Japanese games, to his on-record disdain for older games, to the closure of Sony Japan Studios, to his lack of interest in making anything other than games in the Naughty Dog mold.

https://www.ign.com/articles/playstation-store-shut-down-ps3-vita-psp
I just love the optics of Sony cutting off support for their first digital only console almost immediately after they launched the PS5 all digital version.

Offline Adrock

• Chill, Valentine
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: March 31, 2021, 03:31:43 AM »
Continuing Sony Interactive Entertainment CEO's Jim Ryan's legacy of incompetence and disdain for Sony's heritage, Sony finally officially confirmed today the closure dates for the PS3, PSP, & Vita PSN Stores. This follows last year's removal of those systems from their redesigned-to-be-**** browser-based store.

The PS3 & PSP online stores will go offline on 7/2/21, and the Vita's store will go down on 8/27/21. This effectively permanently kills off the Vita (which was still seeing new indie games), as Sony shut down manufacturing of Vita game cards years ago so no new physical media can be produced.

The one good(ish) piece of news from all this is that owners of these consoles will still be able to redownload titles from their Download History, provided they're willing to scroll through the thousands of pages of entries they've accumulated by this point (I did that once. Never again).

I fucking despise Jim Ryan. I've never seen someone so dedicated to killing the PlayStation brand, from his censorship policies almost exclusively against Japanese games, to his on-record disdain for older games, to the closure of Sony Japan Studios, to his lack of interest in making anything other than games in the Naughty Dog mold.

https://www.ign.com/articles/playstation-store-shut-down-ps3-vita-psp
I just love the optics of Sony cutting off support for their first digital only console almost immediately after they launched the PS5 all digital version.
Would you believe this actually gets worse? I meant to post this the other day, and I was debating whether it was worth starting a new thread. I completely forgot about this one so thanks for bringing it back up.

There are issues on PS3, PS4, and probably PSP and Vita that appear to be caused by the internal clock which will prevent people from playing digital games and even physical games on PS4.

The CMOS battery in these PlayStations powers the SRAM chip that stores firmware settings including the date/time. Without those settings, you have to be connected to the internet to pull the date/time from Sony's servers. This is presumably to prevent people from manually changing the date/time for Trophies. Regardless, if your battery dies after the servers go down accidentally or intentionally, you'll never be able to play your games again. That is, unless Sony fixes this, of course.

Youtuber HikikomoriMedia discovered the PS3 issue:
As it stands, my PS3 has a dead Pram (cmos) battery. When disconnected from the internet and changing the date, I am not allowed to launch any of my purchased digital content.
The link above is to his Tweet which includes video if you're interested.

Twitter user DoesItPlay discovered the PS4 issue:
when the ps4 cmos battery dies (and it will) it renders all ps4 digital files unusable without a server reconnection and in ps4 it also kills disc playback
The link is to the whole twitter thread that explains the issue further:
This error is because Trophies on PS4 require the internal system clock (the one you can’t see / alter) to be correct, so people cant change their PS4 date/time to make it look like they got trophies earlier than they really did. If your PS4 clock battery dies, all your games die

The argument for physical vs. digital was always that if servers go down or a game is pulled, you'll still be able to play your games, unpatched but still. At least on PlayStation, there's a path for that not being true. I don't mean to be alarmist. The CMOS battery takes forever to die as long as the battery itself wasn't bad to begin with. By the time it dies, most people are probably done with the system anyway. Out of principle, it's still pretty fucked up.

Offline UncleBob

• (PATRON)
  • NWR Junior Ranger
  • Score: 98
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: March 31, 2021, 06:15:15 AM »
So, all you have to do is replace the battery and connect to PSN once?  As long as some form of the PSN exists, you should be okay?

I mean, this isn't ideal (and, in theory, is something Sony could patch at some hypothetical point in the future when PSN support is totally taken away), but it doesn't seem as world-ending as some are making it out to be.
Just some random guy on the internet who has a different opinion of games than you.

Offline Adrock

• Chill, Valentine
    • View Profile
« Reply #45 on: March 31, 2021, 11:49:48 AM »
So, all you have to do is replace the battery and connect to PSN once?  As long as some form of the PSN exists, you should be okay?
Yes? This is assuming old PlayStations won't be cut off from servers. Still, physical games don't have the same value they once had.

While this likely only affects a relatively small portion of the user base (again, I expect the vast majority to move on to new hardware), I imagine most people don't know this is a potential issue or how to fix it which Sony is likely counting on. Sure, one can google it, but there's also a reason why LMGTFY is a thing.

It should also be noted that the CMOS battery for PS3 and PS4 is directly on the motherboard so you would have to open up the console to access it. How many people have a Torx screwdriver? Few people know this is an issue and even fewer people have the tools to fix it themselves. Comparatively, the CMOS battery on Wii and Wii U is accessible from the outside of the console. You would need a #00 Philips screwdriver which you may have if you wear glasses.

Regardless, what's worrisome to many is the implication that these games can disappear coupled with Sony's apparent disinterest in preserving its own history. While most of the bigger titles are available on the PlayStation Store and tied to a PSN account, there are also a lot of games "trapped" on those old systems so in the event that the CMOS battery dies and access to servers is gone, those games are unplayable (barring a hack). The ones I keep hearing about are the older Gran Turismo titles which will likely never get re-released due to the ungodly amount of licensed content in them.
I mean, this isn't ideal (and, in theory, is something Sony could patch at some hypothetical point in the future when PSN support is totally taken away), but it doesn't seem as world-ending as some are making it out to be.
One thing I've learned from working in IT is that fixing one thing can lead to unintentionally breaking a slew of other things. Removing the requirement to pull the date/time from a server is a really easy fix on paper, but it could create an exploit for hackers. And if it's a lot of backend work, no f-ing way Sony fixes this. There's very little cost benefit from the company's perspective (i.e. the goodwill of a small group of PlayStation owners). What are we collectively going to do about it? Stop buying PlayStation things? Given Sony's market position, it will call our bluff 100 times out of 100.

Again, I'm not trying to be alarmist. This absolutely is not world-ending. It's just kind of crummy because Sony didn't have to write its software on at least four different systems this way, and I'd bet it's the same on PS5. Nintendo's and Microsoft's hardware do not seem to have similar issues.

Offline UncleBob

• (PATRON)
  • NWR Junior Ranger
  • Score: 98
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: March 31, 2021, 06:28:01 PM »
I agree that it's shitty.

Similarly, the Nintendo DS will not work without a battery in it.  Even if you have it plugged into AC power.  I don't like that either, since battery packs can go bad to the point you don't want them in your system for fear of damaging it.  Seems like an oversight in design to me - but we just kinda have to face the fact that systems aren't designed to allow us to play our games indefinitely anymore.  It's no longer a question of how good of shape you keep the system/media in, and no longer worries of data/bit/disc rot rendering your games into useless piles of plastic to rival the Wii accessory dump bin at the local used gaming store, but a worry of when some design decision (either just not well thought out, or via planned obsolescence) by your chosen manufacturer renders you sol.

I would fully support changes to copyright law to make preservation of "lost" media legal.

Hug your video games tight, kiddo.  The Grim Reaper cometh for your bits and bytes now.
Just some random guy on the internet who has a different opinion of games than you.

Offline Ian Sane

• Champion for Urban Champion
  • Score: 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: March 31, 2021, 07:10:10 PM »
The original Xbox has a battery in it that will leak and damage your system if you don't replace it.  The Turbo Duo and Game Gear have lousy capacitors that need to be replaced.  This isn't a new thing and isn't necessarily planned obsolescence, it's just that making a product that lasts for 50 years isn't a priority.  The logic is more that they're making a product that will be available for maybe 8 years and if the product can last for 15 then the R&D guys did a good job.

The one element that makes physical media appealing though is that it's not all-or-nothing.  Your system could fail but you might be able to fix it or find another one and all your games are still fine.  With digital you can have games stored on a system's hard drive but if the hardware goes and the server to redownload the games is offline then everything is gone at once.  The hope really is down to hackers.  The game executables will be backed up somewhere and it's really just a matter of being able to get something to run it.  I don't think too many games will become lost like some silent-era movie, at least not until streaming gaming is the norm and the users never have any files stored locally at all.

The future of playing your old games is unfortunately going to have to involve hacks and piracy, where as before you could just pop your old cartridges into the old system and everything was easy and legal.

Offline pokepal148

• View Profile
« Reply #48 on: April 03, 2021, 04:18:39 PM »
It looks like the PS3 is having server issues with the PSN store. I can't imagine how that happened, I mean Sony's servers are nothing if not reliable.

https://www.pushsquare.com/news/2021/04/ps3_owners_facing_wide-spread_problems_downloading_games_ahead_of_ps_store_closure

Offline broodwars

• Hunting for a Pineapple Salad
  • Score: -1011
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: April 03, 2021, 05:36:53 PM »
It looks like the PS3 is having server issues with the PSN store. I can't imagine how that happened, I mean Sony's servers are nothing if not reliable.

https://www.pushsquare.com/news/2021/04/ps3_owners_facing_wide-spread_problems_downloading_games_ahead_of_ps_store_closure

It's almost like, when you create a panic by announcing server shutdowns only a few months in advance, people panic and start flooding the servers.
There was a Signature here. It's gone now.