Author Topic: I Heart 2D Games  (Read 3708 times)

Offline Halbred

• Staff Paleontologist, Ruiner of Worlds
  • NWR Staff
  • Score: 17
    • View Profile
    • When Pigs Fly Returns
I Heart 2D Games
« on: April 24, 2012, 09:24:35 PM »

Check out these 2D beauties, yo.

http://www.nintendoworldreport.com/feature/29948

I’ve said somewhere before that I put more stock in art direction than technical specs. Something like Halo or Call of Duty doesn’t look anywhere near as good or interesting to me as something dynamic and iconic like Patapon or Super Mario Bros. 3. A good portion of Nintendo’s greatest hits are 2D games with a hand-drawn aesthetic, and they are among my favorite games to look at. In a month celebrating WayForward’s splendid remake of A Boy and His Blob, it seems fitting to recall other Nintendo games that celebrate simplicity. It’s becoming harder and harder to find newer games (though they do exist) that commit to the hand-drawn art style.

Earthworm Jim & Earthworm Jim 2

The hand-drawn look of Earthworm Jim melds perfectly with its often layered background paintings. These games look like cartoons (generally—Andy Asteroid levels never looked good), and it’s largely thanks to the animators’ great sense of exaggeration and timing. The transformation of Jim’s canine friend Pete is a thing of beauty. The environments themselves are often stunning in their complexity. The very first level of the first game—New Junk City—is a sprawling trash heap piled high with moose heads, stone spires, endless hills of tires, and a blazing sunny haze. The games looked stunning on the Super Nintendo, and they still look great today.

Wait, so the stork thing is true? Have I been wasting my time all these years?!

Super Mario World 2: Yoshi's Island

This game’s stunning aesthetic, which melds chalk, paint, crayon, and colored pencils together to create a rich, brilliantly colorful world, was the result of Mr. Miyamoto wanting his new game to look totally distinct from Rare’s recent Donkey Kong Country. And indeed, though DKC was made with advanced graphics technology, it’s Yoshi’s Island that holds up better, and will continue to do so. It was crafted not with technological supremacy in mind, but with clever art direction and purposeful design decisions that would not be affected by the march of technology. Yoshi’s Island looks as beautiful today as it ever did thanks to its “low-tech” art design. 2D animation is timeless, but 3D polygons (or sprite renderings of polygons) quickly become dated. And, in fact, one could argue that Yoshi’s Island, with its Super FX2 chip, was actually higher-tech than DKC. The chip DID allow sprites to expand and contract in interesting ways, but the technology was used for the BENEFIT of the art direction, not the other way around—as it should be.

Wario's first thought: "IS IT TREASURE?"

Wario Land: Shake It!

Good Feel knocked this one out of the park in terms of a look. The hand-drawn sprites of the characters mesh beautifully with the painted backgrounds. The whole game looks—and moves—like an animated film. The exaggerated motions, timing, and reactions of the super-smooth characters are jaw-droppingly wonderful, and I can honestly say that no game before or since has managed such a unique look. I was pleasantly surprised by the fully animated introductory sequence, just because you don’t see that anymore. Composed with more care and effort than what goes into most modern television cartoons, the intro sequence is a marvel, and makes me wish for a fully animated feature film starring Wario and Captain Syrup.

This screenshot proves that people on a...ahem..."higher" state of mental function would perhaps best appreciate Epic Yarn's unique style.

Kirby's Epic Yarn

When you’re talking about unique-looking games, you can’t ignore Good Feel’s second effort, either. You can’t say it looks hand-drawn—more like hand-crafted. You see, Kirby’s Epic Yarn is made of, well, yarn. Everything in the game looks stitched, woven, threaded, sewn, or knit. It’s a beautiful aesthetic that actually leverages the Wii’s graphical “inferiority” to its benefit: yarn looks fuzzy. This game would look horrible in HD because of that. Kirby himself, as well as the rest of the characters in the game, look like simple yarn outlines that morph and unravel and pop apart (buttons and all) with visual pop. The brilliant art direction manages to take familiar Kirby environments—lava, ice, forests, etc. and make them work entirely with handcrafting supplies. You could, theoretically, make a scene from Epic Yarn yourself—a handmade screenshot, if you would. I don’t know of many games which allow that.

I make it a point to hug the Blob after basically repeatedly bouncing on his face to reach a higher area.

A Boy and His Blob

The focus of this month’s NWR Game Club is beautiful in its simplicity. There aren’t many moving objects. It’s really just the titular boy and his morphing white blob. Toss in a few simple enemies, and there you go. The eye-popping effort goes into the subtlety of the character animations: the infamous hug, the boy calling to his friend, or the boy tumbling head over heels on a trampoline look crisp and fluid. This is hand-drawn animation at its finest. Especially striking are the multitude of environments and backgrounds, the use of lighting, and the sound design in crafting atmospheric, often foreboding places. The Boy’s tree house feels calm and welcoming; the Blob home world is at once alien and exciting; and the caverns and dark forests are oppressive and spooky. The game’s simplistic style is so successful that I feel like the larger, more complicated boss characters are inferior to the smaller characters in the game!

The Wii's prettiest 2D game? It's very possible.

Muramasa: The Demon Blade

Developer Vanillaware has a talent for crafting 2D masterpieces. Before Muramasa, they did GrimGrimoire on the PlayStation and Odin Sphere on the PlayStation 2. I have a special place in my heart for the latter, and I consider it the best-looking game on the system (too bad about the framerate issues). The company’s calling card is amazing-looking scrolling backgrounds and complicated character designs that have insane amounts of animation. Muramasa: the Demon Blade is the company’s first foray onto a Nintendo system, and what a beauty of a game it is. The environments are varied and increasingly complex—one in particular takes place on a story sea that must be seen to be appreciated. Boss characters are typically enormous and feature multiple moving parts. Everything about this game is gorgeous, even when it’s being repetitious (and it is). I can’t wait to see how Dragon Crown (out later this year for PS3/Vita) turns out based on Vanillaware’s prior efforts.

Dude, this game is on CRACK.

Rayman Origins

Maybe the prettiest (and toughest) 2D side-scroller of the last few years, Ubisoft’s Rayman Origins takes the cake in terms of visual eye-candy. We’re talking about funky characters with wacky, hand-drawn animations and gorgeous backgrounds with incredible colors, multiple layers, and insane levels of detail. The game is also creatively brilliant—two worlds are composed of wind instruments (with birds that sit on musical scales), another is more cocktail drink than ice environment, and another involves bellows, boiling pots, and fire-breathing saurian chefs. The boss characters in particular are huge, multi-segmented, and generally hilarious. Though I died about 30 times battling the secret final boss, I never stopped chuckling at her reaction to seeing Rayman hop onto her arm.

This would be my PSN Trophy Card, but I guess I can't post HTML in my Signature. I'm the pixel spaceship, and I have nine Gold trophies.

Offline GoldenPhoenix

• Now it's a party!
  • Score: 42
    • View Profile
Re: I Heart 2D Games
« Reply #1 on: April 24, 2012, 09:44:05 PM »
Love this feature, I still love the 2-D hand drawn (or in Kirby hand made) looking visuals. It is becoming less and less rare, but in a way that makes games like Rayman all the more special. Yoshi's Island 2 truly has aged spectacularly well, while DKC (and later games) really do not hold up that well visually anymore.
Switch Friend Code: SW-4185-3173-1144

Offline SilverQuilava

• Score: 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 24, 2012, 11:22:32 PM »
...Quick question Zach. I thought you hated anything with bright colors and sunshine. What's the difference between Yoshi's Island and the way Paper Mario looks?

Offline Ian Sane

• Champion for Urban Champion
  • Score: 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 25, 2012, 01:10:17 PM »
I think it's funny that this article came out right around the time everyone is discussing how boring the NSMB games look.  2D allows for some gorgeous art so Nintendo really has no excuse.

The DKC rendered look looks much better on smaller screens.  You play it on an HDTV and it looks terrible but it still is quite attractive on a 20" CRT TV.  I think the real backlash of the rendered look was when emulation took off.  Playing old console games on a computer monitor exposes a lot of the pixels and DKC looks REALLY bad.  Pixelization is actually part of the charm of sprites but it really only looks good on cartoony colourful sprites.  DKC has too much shadowing and details.

Offline GoldenPhoenix

• Now it's a party!
  • Score: 42
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 25, 2012, 07:01:39 PM »
...Quick question Zach. I thought you hated anything with bright colors and sunshine. What's the difference between Yoshi's Island and the way Paper Mario looks?

Not sure what Zach has said or not, but maybe he just recognizes that something Yoshi's Island is well made artistic game visually even if he may not be a fan of the style. Kind of like how one can recognize a film is good, even if it is may not be their personal cup of tea.
Switch Friend Code: SW-4185-3173-1144

Offline SilverQuilava

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 26, 2012, 12:51:03 AM »
Well the thing about that is, he basically attacked my favorite game paper mario a little while back, calling it "Fischer Price's First RPG for Babies". I got defensive about it and attacked back, but apparently he hated it just for the reason of it having graphics that looked colorful and sunny. It makes me confused when he says contradicting things like how great Yoshi's Island was with it's "stunning aesthetics".

Did he hate the rpg elements? The badge system? I just want to hear his argument.

Offline red14

• Score: -8
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 26, 2012, 01:11:52 AM »
Rayman Origins has basically climbed it's way into my top ten fav games of all time. If it wasn't enough that most of the characters and objects from the game are taken directly from Rayman 2: The Great Escape, one of my most treasured games, its a type of platformer that I've been waiting for in a game that just makes perfect sense in terms of flow and hilarity. That is a very good blend of a game as quick paced as this. The best part, I even managed to get a platinum trophy from this game.

If I hadn't lost interest by the time I got to the beach, I'd have finished Muramasa by now. But time passed, and the person who let me borrow it was getting impatient. It was the quick paced combat that impressed me the most.

And Wario Land: Shake It, I rented it, beat it, it brought me back to the days that I played Wario Land 4, and now I HAVE to buy it. ...Right after I get Super Smash Bros. Brawl back..
If you shall force your righteous perspective upon others, which in turn requires an effort to understand, would you do the same? Or presumptuously reject theirs to begin with...?

..Which requires no effort on your part.

What else could you say in a complicated world..

Offline Oblivion

• Score: -253
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 26, 2012, 02:27:16 AM »
Anyone play Odin Sphere/Muramasa? Those have hand drawn 2D graphics that rival Rayman Origins, in my opinion.

Offline Halbred

• Staff Paleontologist, Ruiner of Worlds
  • NWR Staff
  • Score: 17
    • View Profile
    • When Pigs Fly Returns
« Reply #8 on: April 26, 2012, 05:15:23 PM »
Yeah, dude, I mention both. They're amazing.

Quilava, I don't DISLIKE Paper Mario's graphics, but they're incredibly dull. I see what they're going for, but they don't fully commit to it. The thing I really disdain about those games is that they're so incredibly boring and simplistic for an RPG. They take common RPG tropes and boil them down to their most essential elements. The badge system is your modifier, great, but only Mario can wear badges, so there's almost no strategy involved. You don't have a party, you have one other partner. You can win every battle by brute-forcing it. It's a cakewalk, and it's insulting to my abilities and intelligence as a gamer.

It's Fischer Price's My First RPG.
This would be my PSN Trophy Card, but I guess I can't post HTML in my Signature. I'm the pixel spaceship, and I have nine Gold trophies.

Offline Oblivion

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 27, 2012, 02:09:00 AM »
Well, I'm stupid. I glanced through the article and for some reason didn't see the two games. Anyway, I felt Muramasa had the superior graphics and gameplay (even though it was repetitive, like you said), and Odin Sphere has the superior story and RPG elements.

Offline SilverQuilava

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 27, 2012, 02:00:34 PM »
Okay then. I can understand the graphics part, comparing them to something like Wario land Shake it or even Yoshi's island it really doesn't stand up. And the future paper mario games haven't improved much.. but still. I try to look at games like a whole, and let the overall playthrough of a game outweigh the latter. If you think it's trying to insult your intelligence, I think that would be the least of your worries.

Offline Ian Sane

• Champion for Urban Champion
  • Score: 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 27, 2012, 02:48:55 PM »
Paper Mario isn't really 2D anyway since the game world is largely all polygons.  Realistically the characters are flat polygons instead of sprites.

Paper Mario is a pretty fun game but my beef with it is largely the circumstances of its release.  It is very much "My First RPG" and that's not the end of the world except that it's the follow up to Super Mario RPG which is considerably more complex and plays more like a "real" RPG.  In fact Super Mario RPG does "My First RPG" better than Paper Mario does at it is a good introduction to the genre for beginners but does so without dumbing things down.  If RPG beginners could get into Super Mario RPG, and clearly Nintendo felt they could, then Paper Mario is an overreaction.  Hell Pokemon is more complex than Paper Mario.  If little kids can make Pokemon a massive hit then why is Paper Mario so stunningly simple in comparison?  It is a fun game to play but the general tone is insultingly patronizing.

It was also released on the N64, a system starving for RPGs.  So Nintendo FINALLY releases their own RPG on the system, during the last year of the system's life when it was WAY too late, and it's streamlined beginner's RPG?  That's kind of a "**** you" to any N64 owner begging for an RPG.  I find Paper Mario is almost an anti-RPG.  Those that love it seem to dislike the RPG genre in general and like how Paper Mario does its own thing.  That's fine and all if that's what the series wants to be.  Since I'm not a hardcore RPG nut I still find Paper Mario to be very enjoyable (I enjoy it more as an adventure game).  But to make that one of the ONLY RPGs available on your system and as a follow up to the more traditional Super Mario RPG is kind of sticking it to RPG fans.  That's probably not on purpose but it's a good demonstration of Nintendo being out-of-touch.

Nobody begging for an RPG on the N64 wanted Paper Mario.  Paper Mario was for the brainwashed Nintendo fanboys that thought that RPGs suck because Nintendo told them so.

Offline Oblivion

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 28, 2012, 01:27:49 AM »
For someone who has never played Paper Mario, why is it considered an RPG?

Offline KDR_11k

• boring person
  • Score: 28
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 28, 2012, 02:37:39 AM »
while DKC (and later games) really do not hold up that well visually anymore.

DKC has been hideous from the start. They shipped a VHS tape with a Club Nintendo issue and boy... UGLY!

Also it surprises me how highly regarded Yoshi's Island is because I remember being quite disappointed by it back in the day (though mostly for gameplay reasons).

Realistically the characters are flat polygons instead of sprites.

That distinction is pointless. These days sprites are commonly rendered as flat polygons even in purely 2D games since that allows using the powerful and flexible 3D pipelines of the GPU instead of being restricted to 1:1 blitting. Particle effects consist of billboarded sprites (painted on polygons that always face the camera) and GUIs are painted polygons that stick to the camera.
« Last Edit: April 28, 2012, 02:40:30 AM by KDR_11k »