Author Topic: Untitled Goose Game: The Goose Is Loose!  (Read 5452 times)

Offline Khushrenada

• is an Untrustworthy Liar
  • NWR Junior Ranger
  • Score: 38
    • View Profile
Untitled Goose Game: The Goose Is Loose!
« on: September 19, 2019, 10:40:43 PM »
There are some games that a video game system seems designed for. Nintendogs for the DS. Wii Sports for the Wii. And now the Switch is finally about to meet its game of destiny: Untitled Goose Game.

While Pokepal wants to look to the past with his retrospectives, I want to look to the future and the important games happening now. With this thread, all the hip and cool NWR gamers will have a place to hang out as we get our goose on!

« Last Edit: September 20, 2019, 10:39:36 PM by Khushrenada »
Whoever said, "Cheaters never win" must've never met Khushrenada.

Offline BeautifulShy

• Shifting my body across the galaxy
  • Score: 79
    • View Profile
    • My streaming page.
Re: Untitled Goose Game: The Goose is almost loose!
« Reply #1 on: September 19, 2019, 11:58:59 PM »
If a game like Goat Simulator can blow up why not this game?
Maxi is dead. I killed him and took his posts and changed genders.
Alexis, she/her/Miss

Quote by Khushrenada in Safe Words 15.
I'm happy with thinking pokepal148 is just eating a stick of butter. It seems about right for him. I don't need no stinking facts.

Offline ejamer

• Does he even know Khushrenada?!?
  • Score: 24
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 20, 2019, 07:28:50 AM »
I only watched the first half of the trailer... but this game looks delightful.
NNID: ejamer

Offline lolmonade

• I wanna ride dolphins with you in the moonlight until the staff at Sea World kicks us out
  • Score: 29
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 20, 2019, 08:24:31 AM »
If a game like Goat Simulator can blow up why not this game?

This seems a lot more polished and intentional than Goat Simulator IMO.  I'll definitely be trying this out tonight between Link's Awakening, though.

Offline Order.RSS

• Resident Evil 420
  • Score: 32
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 20, 2019, 02:46:00 PM »
Unironically somewhat of a system seller for me based on the trailers. Really hope this one turns out to be a winner.

Offline ShyGuy

• Fight Me!
  • Score: -9660
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 20, 2019, 07:38:50 PM »
Is it a Canada Goose or Boolina?

Offline nickmitch

• You can edit these yourself now?!
  • Score: 82
    • View Profile
    • FACEBOOK!
Re: Untitled Goose Game: The Goose Is Loose!
« Reply #6 on: September 25, 2019, 01:38:54 PM »
Has anyone else played it yet?  I played the first half and it's really fun.  I've been getting suck on some of the puzzles, but finding solutions feels pretty rewarding.
TVman is dead. I killed him and took his posts.

Offline Mop it up

• And I've gotta say...
  • Score: 125
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 25, 2019, 04:59:39 PM »
I still can't tell, is the hype for this game actually legitimate, or is it simply ironic? Does this game's silliness make it funny to pretend it's something special, or it is actually great?

Offline Soren

• Hanging out in the Discord
  • Score: 35
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 26, 2019, 10:44:32 PM »
It's a pretty good stealth/puzzle game aided by the fact that you are this powerful being that can be a complete asshole at all times with little repercussion. It's good.
My YouTube Channel: SenerioTV

Offline BeautifulShy

• Shifting my body across the galaxy
  • Score: 79
    • View Profile
    • My streaming page.
« Reply #9 on: September 26, 2019, 11:54:37 PM »
I still can't tell, is the hype for this game actually legitimate, or is it simply ironic? Does this game's silliness make it funny to pretend it's something special, or it is actually great?
From the video reviews I have seen it can be a bit silly but like Soren said it is a puzzle/stealth game and you can interact with different things and see the reactions of the folks in the game and act accordingly to do different tasks.   It can be pretty funny too.  The only thing I have seen that may be a downer is it is a little bit short.
Maxi is dead. I killed him and took his posts and changed genders.
Alexis, she/her/Miss

Quote by Khushrenada in Safe Words 15.
I'm happy with thinking pokepal148 is just eating a stick of butter. It seems about right for him. I don't need no stinking facts.

Offline MagicCow64

• Still no title
  • Score: 9
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 27, 2019, 08:23:00 PM »
Was excited for this, but just played it for an hour, and I'm already pretty bored. The presentation and game feel are good, but the gameplay is very simple and it doesn't seem like it's going to develop in any meaningful way in the other hour I have left.

Offline Shorty McNostril

• Blue text is gone :(
  • Score: 4
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 28, 2019, 04:47:49 AM »
This game seems to be in the same basket as Goat Simulator.  A nonsense game made for streamers and YouTubers.  It's essentially a glorified puzzle game.

Having said that, it's a very well made game.  There seem to be multiple ways of fulfilling your objectives and there's a lot of attention to detail in there.  But there's no longevity at all and it won't be long at all before it's passed by the next cute novelty.

Offline Stratos

• Stale lazy meme pirate
  • Score: 70
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 28, 2019, 02:12:08 PM »
Echoing other's sentiments. Looks very well made and has a novel concept, but just feels a bit limited in it's execution. Maybe they can expand the gameplay in a sequel or expansion? I'll hold out for a good sale before I buy it.
My Game Collection
NNID: Chronocast
Switch: SW-6786-5514-9978
3DS Friend Code: 0447-5723-6467
XBL Gamertag: Chronocast

Offline UncleBob

• (PATRON)
  • NWR Junior Ranger
  • Score: 98
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 03, 2019, 10:20:02 PM »
Got this.  Played it.  Beat it 100%.  Lots of fun.  But really short.

I'd buy a sequel though.
Just some random guy on the internet who has a different opinion of games than you.

Offline UncleBob

• (PATRON)
  • NWR Junior Ranger
  • Score: 98
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: October 05, 2019, 10:02:25 PM »
#gooseforsmash

He wouldn't really work as a fighter, but a Goose-themed level where Goose walks around stealing items from the landscape (and out of player's hands).

I'll give you $20 for this level alone Nintendo.
Just some random guy on the internet who has a different opinion of games than you.

Offline nickmitch

• View Profile
    • FACEBOOK!
« Reply #15 on: October 06, 2019, 03:16:54 PM »
Untitled Goose Stage would be amazing for smash. I think he'd also work as an assist trophy.

Offline Khushrenada

• NWR Junior Ranger
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: October 07, 2019, 05:22:13 PM »
Downloaded this game the day it came out with the expectation of playing it on my vacation. Never really happened. Played through the first section a bit one night just to experience and show my brother what I was so excited about. Finally have been playing through this over the weekend. Getting close to done. Have three of the "time trials" to do and a couple tasks I haven't been able to figure out how to accomplish just yet.

Overall, I'm positive about the game and do think it is worth checking out. However, it was not quite the mayhem and disaster-causing simulator I had hoped it to be. I'm surprised how structured the whole thing is. While there is still joy in figuring out how to cause some of the madness, I feel having specific tasks / missions to accomplish sort of ruins the spontaneity I had anticipated of being a destructive force of nature descending upon unsuspecting people. Yet, I do think having some instruction of just how to cause mayhem is a bit beneficial so my mind is a bit conflicted on that part of the game. In the end, a puzzle game is probably the best way to describe this game which was not what I was expecting the game to be going into it. I do wish there had been another couple sections but a game leaving you wanting more isn't necessarily a bad thing either. And with so many other games I still want to get around to playing, sometimes a short game you can wrap up quickly is a blessing. Makes you feel you are accomplishing more with your gaming.

Anyways, once I fully finish it, I'll probably post more thoughts but I've been wanting to answer Mop's question about the quality of the game since she posted it and I finally have more of a sample size to do so. I'd say it's good but not great. I do think the game's hype is a mix of legit and ironic-for-the-memez buzz. It has some funny moments and gags sprinkled throughout even if it does sort of spoil the gags by making the missions you have to complete making it feel a bit artificial rather than natural. I think of Breath of the Wild and how people have been able to use the systems in it to set-up some bonkers moments. This game isn't quite that level of sandbox and open play even though it does allow for one to mess around a bit beyond the objectives given for their own fun and enjoyment. It's very impressive for a small studio and offers a bit of fresh or novel experience with the idea of controlling a naughty goose making life difficult for all it comes in contact with but the scope of it all may end up feeling small for all the possibility this idea seems to offer.

Offline Khushrenada

• NWR Junior Ranger
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: October 07, 2019, 10:18:26 PM »
Also, bring on the memes!

« Last Edit: October 07, 2019, 10:20:17 PM by Khushrenada »

Offline nickmitch

• View Profile
    • FACEBOOK!
« Reply #18 on: October 07, 2019, 11:04:22 PM »
Lol, the memes have been great.

I've played more of it since my initial post.  The game is really fun, and a clever puzzle game.  Some of the tasks on the to-do are a bit tedious, but overall the game is good.  Not great, but worth people's time.