Author Topic: Mario Kart Wii to Feature Text Chat  (Read 10434 times)

Offline NWR_insanolord

• Rocket Fuel Malt Liquor....DAMN!
  • NWR Staff Pro
  • Score: -18986
    • View Profile
Re: Mario Kart Wii to Feature Text Chat
« Reply #25 on: February 28, 2008, 04:43:26 AM »
I was planning on Skyping with the only person I plan on playing this game with that I would care to communicate with, just like Brawl, so this doesn't really matter to me.

If Nintendo's not going to implement voice chat now, what's the point? These are the two biggest multiplayer titles for the entire life of the Wii. It's going to be like Mario Kart DS all over again, the features will come, but not soon enough for the best reason to use them
Insanolord is a terrible moderator.

J.P. Corbran
NWR Community Manager and Soccer Correspondent

Offline Shift Key

• MISTER HAPPY-GO-LUCKY
  • Score: 9
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: February 28, 2008, 05:20:04 AM »
Update: IGN has learned from Nintendo of America that the text chat feature will be limited to a selection of pre-determined phrases, and therefore will not be input via an on-screen or physical keyboard.    

Hahahaha, good work getting all bent out of shape, interweb. Full-text chat would be a stupid idea, as Infernal discussed.

Offline Shecky

• Score: 3
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: February 28, 2008, 07:44:43 AM »
When does the hurting stop?  >:(

Please... just make it stop. I don't think anyone else got your quote...

Offline planetidiot

• Score: 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: February 28, 2008, 09:53:48 AM »
Update: Never get excited about anything involving the words "Nintendo" and "online"

Offline decoyman

• is a raging alcoholic (and Moppy's #1 fan)
  • Score: 8
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: February 28, 2008, 11:17:47 AM »
This is awesome. If it's like Brawl, you can choose what you want to say in these little pre-chosen phrases, right?

Ok, so we'll probably get four choices... enough for 4 out of the top 5 bad words! The sh-word, the f-bomb, female dogs, and one other wild card. Having them pre-chosen means it'll be easy and quick to spam them to our friends! Thanks Nintendo!

I can't wait, guys, srsly.
Twitter
3DS Friend Code: 3067-7420-5671 (Aaronaut)

Offline NinGurl69 *huggles

• HI I'M CRAZY
  • Score: 28
    • View Profile
    • Six Sided Video
« Reply #30 on: February 28, 2008, 01:20:09 PM »
I like the f-bomb idea.  I'll join you.
:: Six Sided Video .com ~ Pietriots.com ::
PRO IS SERIOUS. GET SERIOUS.

Offline DAaaMan64

• Winner of the Most Terrible Username Award
  • Score: 10
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: February 28, 2008, 01:36:56 PM »
Update: Never get excited about anything involving the words "Nintendo" and "online"

planetidiot said something planetintelligent.
FREEEEEDDDDDOOOOOMMMMMMMMMM!!!!

Marvel Heroes - Marvel Heroes
Frozen Shoe Games

Yea, though I walk through the valley of the shadow of death, I will fear no evil. For I am with me.

Offline williamsjj

• Score: 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: March 01, 2008, 10:43:35 AM »

No kidding.  I love my Wii and consider myself a Nintendo fanboy, but their online strategy has forced me to designate my Wii as my secondary console.  Online play is the future of gaming.  The social aspects of it create a gaming experienced that cannot be matched.  When I logon to Xbox Live it isn't just about the games, but also about socializing with my friends. Now my 360 has two reasons for me to use it and I don't mind investing in additional hardware or software.  I've even bought games just so I can play them with my friends.  Nintendo needs to figure this out.  They may have a hit on their hands with the Wii, but I honestly believe that they are going to fail if they don't have a consistent and coherent online strategy for the next generation.

Offline Morari

• 46 DC EA D3 17 FE 45 D8 09 23 EB 97 E4 95 64 10 D4 CD B2 C2
  • Score: -7237
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: March 01, 2008, 12:56:56 PM »
THIS POST HAS BEEN CENSORED FOR YOUR PROTECTION

--Bureau of Internet Morality
« Last Edit: February 19, 2011, 12:43:05 AM by Morari »
"This post has been censored for your protection."

--Bureau of Internet Morality

Offline Bizzy_Fatso

• Score: -5
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: March 01, 2008, 02:25:14 PM »
Everyone assumed that this would be the generation that Nintendo would get serious about online gaming, after having a non-existent strategy last generation.  This decision is so frustrating, and impossible to understand...I think Nintendo is just lazy, that's the only excuse I can come up with.  They don't want to open young kids up to the kind of adult-talk that can go on during online games, and they're too lazy to implement some parental control functionality to address this issue, so they just cripple their online support and we all suffer.

Online mario kart with no ability to communicate will feel no different than playing against AI...except some of the AI will be better than average, some will be worse, and some may even take advantage of exploits (i.e. snaking) if there are such to be had in the game, but overall it will feel empty and pointless just like it did on the DS.  Usually, with a new console generation, you can expect something fresh with the new version of your favorite classics....whether it's with shiny new graphics, or new or improved online functionality..what do we have to look forward to for this game??  A crippled online?  Last-gen graphics?  A plastic wheel for steering which will undoubtedly be inferior to using the classic or gamecube controller?  I'm sorry, but just getting a set of new tracks and a couple of bikes is not enough to get me excited for this game, and it shouldn't be for you either...we need to demand more.

The main problem I see is that of course this game will sell well, as is Smash Bros, and Nintendo will think "See!  Online doesn't matter...we can be lazy and put out basically version 1.5 of our GameCube games and just watch the profits roll in!  We don't have to listen to all of these 'hardcore' gamers who keep complaining about this and that, what do they know???"  Well, I'm getting sick of their arrogance and am frustrated that there's nothing I can do about it.

• HI I'M CRAZY
    • View Profile
    • Six Sided Video
« Reply #35 on: March 01, 2008, 04:13:34 PM »
Don't buy the game(s).

Offline NWR_pap64

• You are not the boss of me
  • Score: 25
    • View Profile
    • Nintendo World Report
« Reply #36 on: March 01, 2008, 05:06:30 PM »
Hmmm...I'm suspicious of Bizzy.

I checked his posts and all he does is criticize Nintendo's games and Nintendo in general.

Are you sure you're not here to "politely" troll the boards?

Frankly, all of us regulars do it too, but its weird to see a newbie go for the kill right away...
Pedro Hernandez
NWR Staff Writer

• HI I'M CRAZY
    • View Profile
    • Six Sided Video
« Reply #37 on: March 01, 2008, 05:10:53 PM »
Trying to hang with the big boys.

Offline Mario

• IWATA BOAT!?
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: March 01, 2008, 06:54:28 PM »
what do we have to look forward to for this game??  A crippled online?  Last-gen graphics?
You haven't read a single bit of information on the game have you?

Offline DAaaMan64

• View Profile
« Reply #39 on: March 01, 2008, 07:53:24 PM »
what do we have to look forward to for this game??  A crippled online?  Last-gen graphics?
You haven't read a single bit of information on the game have you?

I guess I haven't read enough, because he pretty much nailed it with that sentence for me.  I'm sure the game will still be quite good though.

Frozen Shoe Games

Yea, though I walk through the valley of the shadow of death, I will fear no evil. For I am with me.

Offline NWR_pap64

• You are not the boss of me
  • Score: 25
    • View Profile
    • Nintendo World Report
« Reply #40 on: March 01, 2008, 11:46:08 PM »
Mario Kart DS's  online mode was crippled as well. Years later and its STILL selling and getting a lot of connections.
Pedro Hernandez
NWR Staff Writer

Offline DAaaMan64

• View Profile
« Reply #41 on: March 01, 2008, 11:51:33 PM »
Mario Kart DS's  online mode was crippled as well. Years later and its STILL selling and getting a lot of connections.

Getting a lot of connections?

Not really for me, I have had a real hard time just establishing a 4 player match one time. 

I want to see a different system entirely where I don't have to so long.  Like an achievement system and a system where I join already going games. Waiting to connect with other players sucks.

Frozen Shoe Games

Offline Mario

• IWATA BOAT!?
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: March 02, 2008, 12:24:24 AM »
I played a worldwide 4 player match yesterday and it setup real quick and easy, same as at launch. Friendly matches on the other hand are a bit of a pickle, some could say a game in itself. It should be much better in Mario Kart Wii though.

Offline DAaaMan64

• View Profile
« Reply #43 on: March 02, 2008, 12:29:03 AM »
I played a worldwide 4 player match yesterday and it setup real quick and easy, same as at launch. Friendly matches on the other hand are a bit of a pickle, some could say a game in itself. It should be much better in Mario Kart Wii though.

Well my experience is completely different from that.  I don't get set up quick and easy at all.  I would assume it would be the same for the people I am playing with considering they are experiencing the same game.

I would love for it to have set up real quick.

Frozen Shoe Games