Author Topic: The Official "I've played ExciteTruck at GameStop" thread  (Read 20056 times)

Offline TrueNerd

• Score: 6
    • View Profile
The Official "I've played ExciteTruck at GameStop" thread
« on: November 07, 2006, 10:21:15 AM »
Yes, yes, I've played ExciteTruck at GameStop. Now who wants to touch me? I SAID WHO WANTS TO F*CKING TOUCH ME!

Anywho, Karl's editorial over this last weekend concerned this issue and now that I too have played the game, I agree with some stuff and I don't with others. I agree that the controls, while they worked about as well as one could hope, don't really add to the game too much. They don't make it better. They don't make it worse either, but it's a side step, not a step forward.

What I disagree with is that the game is pretty fun regardless. Racers aren't Karl's thing, and they aren't mine either, but I like Burnout and this is rather similar to that game. If you like arcade racers, ExciteTruck is your new best friend.

I also enjoyed the speaker's implementation. Perhaps it was just a novelty and I didn't give it the time to wear off, but it was kinda cool to hear the controller chime when I picked up an item or crunch when I smacked into another truck. I don't know why, but I liked it. And I'm now rather positive that Zelda and Red Steel will use the speaker even better.

I spose that's it.

So have YOU played ExciteTruck?

Offline Dirk Temporo

• Score: -1
    • View Profile
RE: The Official "I've played ExciteTruck at GameStop" thread
« Reply #1 on: November 07, 2006, 10:42:53 AM »
I want to play Excite Truck. ;_; There aren't any kiosks near me...
"You've had your dream old man. It's time to wake up!"
-Travis Touchdown

Offline Smash_Brother

• Let me show you my poké-balls
  • Score: 3
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 07, 2006, 10:49:14 AM »
Where are you that they have a kiosk???

I DEMAND TO KNOW!!!
"OK, first we need someone to complain about something trivial. Golden or S_B should do. Then we get someone to defend the game, like Bill or Mashiro. Finally add some Unclebob or Pro666 randomness and the thread should go to hell right away." -Pap64

Offline Rhoq

• Score: 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 07, 2006, 11:07:54 AM »
I've decided not to look for a kiosk. The launch is less than 2 weeks away. I can wait until I own a Wii to play, however if GameStop happens to have a kiosk when I stop in to buy my Wii launch titles next Wednesday afternoon - you can bet your ass that I'll be playing.
PEACE--->Rhoq

Offline TrueNerd

• View Profile
RE:The Official "I've played ExciteTruck at GameStop" thread
« Reply #4 on: November 07, 2006, 11:10:39 AM »
I'm around Chicago and I've personally seen two kiosks and my friend has seen another. I guess I assumed they were widespread at this point?  

Offline vudu

• You'd probably all be better off if I really were dead.
  • NWR Junior Ranger
  • Score: -19
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 07, 2006, 11:42:14 AM »
I'm in Chicago, too.  Where'd you find them?
Why must all things be so bright? Why can things not appear only in hues of brown! I am so serious about this! Dull colors are the future! The next generation! I will never accept a world with such bright colors! It is far too childish! I will rage against your cheery palette with my last breath!

Offline Nile Boogie

• that is why you fail
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 07, 2006, 02:01:15 PM »
They just put a Wii at the Gamestop at Broad and Hunting Park(Philly) if any posters above me wanted to know.
Nile Boogie is...

0699-9217-4212-6889

Philadelphia Penn, 19130

« Reply #7 on: November 07, 2006, 02:12:42 PM »
Seems that I've been reading a lot of negatives about ExciteTruck as of late.  Has anyone that's played ExciteTruck actually liked it?  Methinks a different game should have been selected as the Wii's representative.
Not just flowers,I love them all like weeds and     veget
able.

I want to do garden forever.

Offline Djunknown

• HEY! HEY! LISTEN!
  • Score: 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 07, 2006, 03:18:26 PM »
My educated guess is that NOA wanted to give this game a bit more exposure since it might get lost in the shuffle. Zelda's a winner, so need to display that. Red Steel may be violent for teh KitTy's, so that's a no-no. Wii sports would another good replacement...

I'll make the rounds of at my local EB/GS's and report later.
Ma ma sa, ma ma coo sa
Ma ma se, ma ma sa,
Ma ma coo sa

Offline Adrock

• Chill, Valentine
  • Score: 138
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 07, 2006, 03:22:36 PM »
Yesterday:

I went to my local EB Games to see if the Wii was there and it was except there were no controllers so I was looking at it in awe of how small it was. As I was checking it out from every angle someone asked me if I wanted to play it. This lady told me to ask the clerks for a controller and that I needed an ID. Here's the best part, she was like, "I work for Microsoft and I'm telling you this." Lo and behold he name tag had a Microsoft logo. I'm guessing she was the region representative. She said Wii was "a lot of fun."

So anyway, I got my hands on Excite Truck.

1. It's fast.
2. It's fun, even though I had trouble adjusting to the controls.
3. It's ugly. The textures were like a small step above Super Mario Sunshine.

I kept crashing and losing my rank, but I honestly didn't care. It was just so much fun that I'd often catch myself with a goofy smile on my face as if I'd never played a videogame before. Even though the graphics looked terrible, it really didn't matter, though I blame Resident Evil 4. Nothing has really wowed me graphically since that game, even on 360.

In the middle of my Mii creation, this fat kid maybe 13 or 14 remarked that he "[didn't] even know what that thing (Wii) was." Then, he went over to the 360 and said "This is what I want." He was playing around and waving at the Xbox Live Vision Camera. I was moving a controller in the air and having all kinds of fun and he's amazed at a camera. That killed me. Oh well, his loss.

Today:

I took my brother and girlfriend to play it. They enjoyed it. My brother started to get used to the game after the second race, but says he stills prefers standard controllers. My girlfriend really got into it. She also doesn't play videogames. She was moving around and yelling the f-word when she crashed into trees. She kept asking me if we could get it, but I kept telling her I was waiting until next year.

The controller is attracting new gamers. I can't speak for everyone, but here's a story of one convert. I'm confident my mom will love it when she tries it.

Offline Dirk Temporo

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 07, 2006, 05:01:04 PM »
GODDAMN IT I WANT TO PLAY REALLY REALLY BAD.

I think I'm gonna cry.
-Travis Touchdown

Offline williamsjj

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 07, 2006, 05:42:42 PM »
I didn't know that they already had Wii demos in stores.  I may have to pay some places a visit tomorrow.  There is both a Gamestop and an EBGames about five minutes from me.

Offline Crimm

• Get your unfiltered Bowsette here!
  • NWR Staff Pro
  • Score: 1147
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 07, 2006, 05:49:57 PM »
WHY I NOT GET WII-SPLAYS!?!!?!?!

RAWR!
James Jones
Mondo Editor
Nintendo World Report

Offline TrueNerd

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: November 07, 2006, 06:03:43 PM »

Originally posted by: vudu
I'm in Chicago, too.  Where'd you find them?
The one I was at today was at Golf Mill Mall in Niles. The other one I've seen was on Oakton. Not so sure on the location on that one, it wasn't my usual stomping grounds.

Offline Edfishy

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: November 07, 2006, 07:28:52 PM »

In the middle of my Mii creation, this fat kid maybe 13 or 14 remarked that he "[didn't] even know what that thing (Wii) was." Then, he went over to the 360 and said "This is what I want." He was playing around and waving at the Xbox Live Vision Camera. I was moving a controller in the air and having all kinds of fun and he's amazed at a camera. That killed me. Oh well, his loss.

Betcha 100 Wii Points Mr. Butterball will want a Wii by next Christmas.

Offline Ian Sane

• Champion for Urban Champion
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: November 08, 2006, 06:58:03 AM »
"My educated guess is that NOA wanted to give this game a bit more exposure since it might get lost in the shuffle."

Maybe it's also because a racing game is really easy to demo compared to something like Zelda.  All you do is make a track available.  With Zelda you have to create some sort of demo and add restrictions to where you can go.

I asked EB if they knew when they were getting a Wii demo unit in.  He said he didn't know.  Probably in a few weeks after, you know, the console already launched and will probably be sold out.  Ever thought we may want to play it ahead of time, Nintendo?

Offline Rhoq

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: November 08, 2006, 07:02:44 AM »

Originally posted by: Nile Boogie
They just put a Wii at the Gamestop at Broad and Hunting Park(Philly) if any posters above me wanted to know.

Thanks for the heads up.
PEACE--->Rhoq

Offline Crimm

• Get your unfiltered Bowsette here!
  • NWR Staff Pro
  • Score: 1147
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: November 08, 2006, 07:37:49 AM »
I was assured this morning that "We have a Wii display," a fact they had confirmed the other day.
I was assured this morning that "No we're not ready to put it out."  It would seem he had been asked that question repeatedly, based on his look of exasperation.
James Jones
Mondo Editor
Nintendo World Report

Offline Dirk Temporo

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: November 08, 2006, 11:42:23 AM »
I asked my EB/Gamestop stores, and they said that the demo units for them shipped out yesterday. I'm excited.
-Travis Touchdown

Offline OverHeat

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: November 08, 2006, 01:47:15 PM »
Well, my store finally got the Wii kiosk up and running today. First off, the Nintendo rep told us that the system was plugged in with composit cables, and the component ones would be in our store in about a month. Graphically, everyone in the store was pretty amazed at how good it looked for not running in progressive. I'm not sure what all that Mario Sunshine comparison crap was, but I guess if I took my glasses off, I would agree. As I think we all know, this is NOT the "omg grafxorx" system anyways.

The remote handled extremely well. It is highly sensitive/responsive and takes a bit of work to get down, but I would be disappointed if it were any other way. The game is FUN. I wasn't even remotely interested in this game until now. In the space of an hour approximately six people came in and tried it. Only two of them had planned on getting a Wii. Three of the others flat out said "This sh*t is fun! I gotta get me one of these now.!" Then I was hit up with a plethora of questions (When is it coming? Can I reserve it? How hard will it be to find? etc, etc). The only person who didnt say he wanted said "Wow this thing is great. Nintendo really is on to something here." and he left after collecting his ID. This is pretty amazing given that this game will be one of the less sought after and simpler games available on the system. Then again, not EVERYONE wants games that require 2 hour sit throughs per session, so who knows. I realize I have a very skewed concept of games, given that I play them all the time. Just like all the rest of you. Try to keep that in mind when you play this thing, guys and gals. I tested the extent of the remote. I was able to control the car from the opposite end of the store without any trouble. Well, other than not being able to really see the screen, that is.

Our store actually has two remotes, so the manager and I gave the versus play a spin. Good times, good times. The Nintendo rep also said something really interesting. He said in Need for Speed there is an option to play steering with the nunchuk attachment's analog stick. You then hold the remote in a vertical position and move it like a gas pedal to control your speed. I hate controlling racing games with sticks, personally. I really liked using the remote on its side. But when I told my racer-fan friends about this option, they seemed to prefer that idea. *shrug*

Finally on the whole "why did they pick this game to show case the Wii" question, here is my 2 cents. I think we all remember when the kiosks were announced there was alot of hoopla about Target, Walmart etc not taking them for fear of children killing eachother. Well something tells me Nintendo originally planned on putting Wii Sports in there (really, that only makes sense). But when that whole thing erupted, they probably thought better of it and picked something that is less....flaily, if you take my meaning. It would also make sense from the standpoint of "Zelda is a no-brainer and everyone will already be getting Wii Sports, so why not champion our other game?" line of thought.

All in all, from a game that was less than an after thought in my mind for launch, a game that doesnt even come close to displaying what the Wii can really do, I was having alot more fun with Excitetruck than I should have been. Is it worth $50 out the gate? That depends. If you have ever bought an arcadey style racer and loved it to death even though everyone else said the game was shallow, or whatever, this is your game. If you are a typical game geek who needs experience points, giant dungeons or 50 special moves per character to think a game is worth it's salt (like most of us) there are plenty of other games to spend your hard earned money on at launch.

If these impressions seemed a bit more "glowing" than others, its because I have come to terms with the jaded gamer within myself, just so you all know. I have learned how to judge a game based on its merits rather than my own expectations. In conclusion, I doubt I will be buying this game at launch, but it's quite simply one of the best arcadey type racers I have played in a long, long time. Oh! And I love the homage they pay to Excitebike with the turbo power. This game has the turbo power just like old school Excitebike, and if you use it too much you OVERHEAT. Instead of looking for little arrows on the ground to cool your OVERHEAT meter, you drive through pools of water. Very nice touch.

P.S. That controller is teh sexAY. Held in the remote way, I was easily able to access every button on the remote, no problem. Thats not to say that the 2 button should be the primary fire button or anything, but for accessing menus, switching up weapons, reloading or other secondary features (ala Zelda), they will work just fine. Tiliting the remote when in the Wii menu tilts the pointing finger onscreen. I did a few "Steven Colbert's Wag-of-the-finger" things much to the delight of everyone there. The assistant manager and I even spent a few minutes waging pointless "finger wars" with eachother, giggling like school girls. I am tellin you guys, this system is set up for good times. Good times.

Do, or do not. There is no try.

Offline Smash_Brother

• View Profile
« Reply #20 on: November 08, 2006, 01:57:46 PM »
Dammit, this is making me wish I didn't live in "Last-to-get-everything" New England.
"OK, first we need someone to complain about something trivial. Golden or S_B should do. Then we get someone to defend the game, like Bill or Mashiro. Finally add some Unclebob or Pro666 randomness and the thread should go to hell right away." -Pap64

Offline OverHeat

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: November 08, 2006, 02:04:34 PM »
*comforts Smash_Brother* No worries mon ami. At least we will all be playing the games that truly matter at the same time....well... you know.... pretty close anyways...
Do, or do not. There is no try.

Offline Smash_Brother

• View Profile
« Reply #22 on: November 08, 2006, 02:18:01 PM »
I do intend to try and coax my Wii out of my local GS a bit earlier than the midnight release time but we'll see...

Yeah, I'm looking forward to Red Steel and Rayman the most (with Zelda to follow).

Offline Djunknown

• HEY! HEY! LISTEN!
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: November 08, 2006, 03:51:36 PM »
For those that care:

Looks like the Wii's are slowly making their eastward, keyword slowly. The manager I talked to said they should be getting them within a few days, next week at the latest.  Since it seems Chicagoans(sp?) have theirs, Detroiters won't be far behind...

Ma ma sa, ma ma coo sa
Ma ma se, ma ma sa,
Ma ma coo sa

Offline Dirk Temporo

• View Profile
« Reply #24 on: November 08, 2006, 05:06:48 PM »

Originally posted by: Smash_Brother
Dammit, this is making me wish I didn't live in "Last-to-get-everything" New England.

Well remember, your local mall is the Fox Run, same as me. And the guys there said the kiosks shipped out yesterday, so I'd think they'd be up and running within a week.
-Travis Touchdown