Author Topic: Is X-Box the most powerful console?  (Read 14981 times)

Offline Infernal Monkey

• burly British nanny wrapped in a blender
  • Score: 2
    • View Profile
RE: Is X-Box the most powerful console?
« Reply #1 on: July 26, 2003, 01:45:22 AM »
Yeah, you could split someones head open with that thing. GameCube could cause a nasty bump, at the most. Anyway, NES is most powerful. It could have like, 20 colours on screen at once, and erm, yep.

Offline Plugabugz

• *continues waiting*
  • Score: 10
    • View Profile
Is X-Box the most powerful console?
« Reply #2 on: July 26, 2003, 02:17:41 AM »
Very interesting read there. Thanks for that

Offline VoodooMerlin

• Score: 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 26, 2003, 02:23:08 AM »
Without a doubt. As a loose rule of thumb with everything considered, the Cube is twice the PS2 and the XboX is twice the Cube or 4x the PS2.

I just got rid of my XboX and came back to the Cube. I've always liked Nintendo for their balance in software variety and the XboX wasn't giving anything but shooters for the most part. I'm into RPGs and platformers....both of which Nintendo has more of. That and the fact that I miss playing PSO as an offline game. I also gave up on Mario Sunshine soon after it was released....and vowed that I would pick it up again and finish it if I ever got another Cube. I've already gotten further than last time.

Offline Berto2K

• This could be you, at E3.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 26, 2003, 03:23:45 AM »
That info was so helpful. Thanks for the link to that. I copied all that guy had to say down just for future references.
Pietriots, we roll out to get the lol out.

Offline Bartman3010

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 26, 2003, 04:31:26 AM »
One of the most intellegent things to come out of G4.
- Bartman

Mario Kart DS - 111728-668174
Metroid Prime Hunters - 3866-1460-2555
Tetris DS - 105680-429364

(Send PM if interested, you probably arent)
Better yet, check out #mariokartds on Esper.net, featuring the FriendCodeBot!

Offline rpglover

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 26, 2003, 04:48:31 AM »
a very interesting read- it proves how close these consoles are to eachother in power and effects
personally i dont care about graphics in my games as much as i do gameplay but reading this showed me what could be capable on the gc
i call the big one bitey.

Offline Grey Ninja

• Retired Forum Drunk
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 26, 2003, 05:49:41 AM »
It won't do any good.  I have been saying that since before the systems launched.  Nobody cares to listen, as the Xbox has more MHz, so it must better.  Christ, I am starting to twitch just thinking about all the people who told that the Xbox was clearly superior.
Once I had, a little game
I liked to crawl back into my brain
I think you know the game I mean

Offline VoodooMerlin

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 26, 2003, 11:52:01 AM »
It really all comes down to the skills of the individual developers though.

Some of the best lighting effects that I've ever seen are in Res Evil on the Cube. It does cell-shading nicely as shown in Zelda.

The Cube's no wimp. It's a powerhouse. And it's damned cute as well.

Offline NinGurl69 *huggles

• HI I'M CRAZY
  • Score: 28
    • View Profile
    • Six Sided Video
« Reply #9 on: July 26, 2003, 01:40:42 PM »
Damn cute indeed!
:: Six Sided Video .com ~ Pietriots.com ::
PRO IS SERIOUS. GET SERIOUS.

Offline Bishman

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 26, 2003, 02:18:12 PM »
It would be good if you read all 24 pages of it. Well just the Fox's posts.

Offline Grey Ninja

• Retired Forum Drunk
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 26, 2003, 03:02:47 PM »
I read 4 pages worth.  That was enough for me.

It truly saddens me to see this all over the place.  If anyone even thinks about saying something unfavorable about the Xbox, they get bashed.  Is this the world we want to live in?  Can't we just all co-exist without screaming "FANBOY" every two minutes?  The guy stated valid points, and anyone who has experience with hardware would agree with him.
Once I had, a little game
I liked to crawl back into my brain
I think you know the game I mean

Offline mouse_clicker

• Pod 6 is jerks!
  • Score: 3
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 26, 2003, 03:10:17 PM »
That guy clearly knows what he's talking about, and it's good that SOMEONE has stood up to prove MS is BSing us. The guy was an extremely good debater, too- he never backed down to anything he said, even with all the idiots who kept pressing him. Seriously, I'm surprised he had the stamina to hold up his side with the constant claims he was a fanboy (despite the fact he owned all 3 consoles and admitted to being very excited about games like Halo 2).  I'm just sorry he had to deal with a bunch of nutcases. I would've posted in the thread, but a problem developed during registery- apparently someone's using my email adress. Odd.
"You know you're being too serious when Mouse tells you to lighten up... ^_^"<BR>-Bill

Offline Shadow Link

• View Profile
RE:Is X-Box the most powerful console?
« Reply #13 on: July 26, 2003, 08:23:03 PM »
Its all so true though..  I mean I have yet so of seen any evidence that Xbox is 3x more powerful than Any game console. (As stated in many xbox ads). Anyway that guy really knows his stuff

• HI I'M CRAZY
    • View Profile
    • Six Sided Video
« Reply #14 on: July 26, 2003, 10:54:55 PM »
"[idiot]  << rather its the caching system with Gekko in conjunction with the other 2 parts of the machine. >>

[The Real Shadow Fox] WTF are you talking about here?"

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA.  I'm currently reading page 11 of that thread, but those lines had me laughin' my ass off!

• HI I'M CRAZY
    • View Profile
    • Six Sided Video
« Reply #15 on: July 26, 2003, 11:38:25 PM »
Haha, man, idiots a-plenty, on pg. 14:

"[idiot 2] << Contrary to popular belief; Brute Force is the only xbox game that currently uses Bump Mapping. >>

[The Real Shadow Fox] Oh my dear Lord. Have you NOT played Halo?"

ENTERTAINING and EDUCATIONAL!!

BANZAI!!

Offline PIAC

• is actually agentseven
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: July 26, 2003, 11:51:46 PM »
hahahha, i got upto about the 7th page and gave up with it, i couldn't stop laughing at the guy whos sig was

"Zelda: The game you bought the GameCube for."
"Metroid: The game you bought the N64 for."
"Game Boy TV Thingy: Plays the exact same games as the Super Nintendo, but not as cheap. Buy new and go retro at the same time."
-SpaceGhost2k

yep i sure did enjoy metroid on my n64

• HI I'M CRAZY
    • View Profile
    • Six Sided Video
« Reply #17 on: July 27, 2003, 12:20:06 AM »

Originally posted by: PIAC

yep i sure did enjoy metroid on my n64

Right-on!  Metroid... She was a great character in Super Smash Bros. *_*

I stopped reading at page 15, since the posts were getting longer and longer, and that one moron who said Brute Force was the first bumped-mapped xbox game (who idiotically posted BF screens that did't have bump-maps at all) wouldn't shut up.

The Real Shadow Fox, BANZAI!!

Offline Twisted Halo

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: July 27, 2003, 02:25:17 AM »

Remember, it's not always the bigger and more powerful that wins. Sometimes you gotta be smaller, more versatile, and cooler looking! But, of course, I am a big fan of XboX as well. ROCK-ON HALO!
Adapt or Die.

Offline Oblivious

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: July 27, 2003, 05:10:37 AM »
XBox is more powerful. It's true. But what is power if you hardly have any good games except Halo to play it on? I might have bought a XBox but so many of the games aren't that good or they are Mature rated. It isn't worth it IMO.

Offline Hemmorrhoid

• View Profile
« Reply #20 on: July 27, 2003, 05:12:02 AM »
While I am sure that the GCN is capable of what most of you say and also somewhat on par with Xbox, I still
find this debate rather sad. Its a sad reflection of what gaming has become.
LZ 2005

Offline mjbd

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: July 27, 2003, 08:19:01 AM »
It was a really good read in my opinion.  GCN and X-box are pretty much on par with each other, and have more than enough power to create great games.  Of course, it really comes down to the developer making the game.  Nintendo has even slipped a few times, Mario Sunshine had ok graphics if the framerate was rock solid, but it didnt.  But then there are games like Metroid, which run incredibly smooth, and have amazing graphics.  Then look at games like Halo and SplinterCell on X-box, both are incredible looking games, and run smooth.  I own SplinterCell for my GCN, the overall experience is there, but its still best played on the X-box.  Most developers are lazy, and should consider staying within their means.  Not every games has to be earthshattering in terms of graphics, worry about making it fun first, and then see what you can do with the visuals.  Time Splitters 2 doesnt have the best visuals, but there are good and the game runs smooth.  More 3rd parties need to take note.
Formerly Known As Mike_OPN2000

Offline penfold

• View Profile
« Reply #22 on: July 27, 2003, 09:39:14 PM »
I do own all three systems, but do buy the GCN and the XBOX games more. Why? Its not the graphics. I just find that I buy the XBOX for the games that only come out for the system and the Nintendo and also third party games for the Cube. So, the majority of the games that are in my library for the BOX are the "Only On XBOX" series. Guess my devotion for the Cube games is based on my being a Nintendo fan. Afterall, I have been playing Nintendo games since 1980.

Offline mouse_clicker

• Pod 6 is jerks!
  • Score: 3
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: July 27, 2003, 09:58:01 PM »
It's kind of funny that Shaodw Fox points out the main reason most people think XBox games look better is because of a graphical flaw that gives everything a sheen to it, almost plasticy. I've noticed it myself and always wondered why it was there. That and the XBox has a higher resolution, which will make almost any game look better than the same thing or better on a lower resolution.
"You know you're being too serious when Mouse tells you to lighten up... ^_^"<BR>-Bill

Offline egman

• View Profile
« Reply #24 on: July 28, 2003, 04:33:04 AM »
Hemmorrhoid--So true. I can't help but scratch my head at 20 page threads about which game has the better bump-mapping.

Surely there has to be more than a couple people out there who can still have fun without having to defend their choice of hardware and software?