Author Topic: What's the problem with Community Nights?  (Read 13163 times)

Offline Neifirst

• Score: 4
    • View Profile
Re: What's the problem with Community Nights?
« Reply #25 on: August 02, 2012, 05:17:40 AM »
I'm new to the site and forums, but is there a way to blend the community night aspect with previews of upcoming games that heavily incorporate online cooperative or competitive play?  I'm thinking of something like building a roster of willing participants in the run-up to a release or something so you can gauge the interest level of the community in a particular game ahead of time.  The site has those multiple buttons at the top already - change those to prominently feature 3 to 4 games with the community night stuff rolled into the preview/review/feature and you might get better exposure.

I'm personally going to pick up a 3DS XL in a few weeks and will be getting Code of Princess when it releases in October (and is on sale for $30 over on newegg at the moment).  It features 4 player online co-op and seems like the perfect game to start building a community around starting in September.

Offline Art_de_Cat

• Score: 6
    • View Profile
    • Art_de_Cat's Deviant Art page
« Reply #26 on: August 02, 2012, 06:33:55 PM »
Tuesday/Wedsnesday nights would be good, a lot of groups do something on monday and I cant have three windows open at the same time to keep track of them all.  As how to pick the game,...definelty leave it up to choice, for everyone to find someone to play with, but maybe allow people with odder games, or less owned games to voice a time they want to do something to attract the others with the game.
They say that there is no medicine that can cure a fool......
I guess that's true.....

Offline NWR_insanolord

• Rocket Fuel Malt Liquor....DAMN!
  • NWR Staff Pro
  • Score: -18986
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: August 02, 2012, 07:03:15 PM »
Wednesday isn't really a good day because that's when we have our NWR staff meetings, which would limit my and other staff members' ability to participate. We were doing them on Tuesday for a while, but I switched to Mondays because I've been in a summer class on Tuesday nights. That ends this coming Tuesday, so maybe I'll switch it back the following week.
Insanolord is a terrible moderator.

J.P. Corbran
NWR Community Manager and Soccer Correspondent

Offline Mop it up

• And I've gotta say...
  • Score: 125
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: August 02, 2012, 08:23:49 PM »
Mostly it has been because I don't usually have the game being played, though sometimes it's because I didn't see the topic until after the night already happened.

Offline oohhboy

• Forum Friend or Foe?
  • Score: 38
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: August 03, 2012, 10:55:07 AM »
Most of the problem is just how bad Nintendo online is. We had some great MK7 nights when we got almost everybody into the chat room and everybody was clued into the system. Right now it takes one knuckle head to ruin a night by jumping into a lobby and hitting start. Then when the damn thing auto starts, half the people freak out and leave. There is no control. It's herding cats and dogs together. I would know, I have been to almost every MK7 night organizing. Even if we have fewer players, it's not much of a problem if I can talk to them.

The lack of a real communications system built in is just another factor working against it. I might not like Hero Of Ruin to buy it, but have VC is a massive step forward.

In the end, it's not really that you not doing a good job isanolord, it's the odds are just against you. Maybe bringing in some house rules and explaining some basic online etiquette might help. Mandatory chat usage would be excellent, but the worry is that might be crossing the line and there isn't any tools to enforce it. Other than that you just have to keep rolling the dice and hope you get a good night.
I'm Lacus. I'm fine as Lacus!
Pffh. Toilet paper? What do you think cats are for?

Offline Caterkiller

• Not too big for Smash Bros. after all
  • Score: 74
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: August 03, 2012, 08:12:13 PM »
I work Monday nights, but otherwise I would try to be there all the time.

Maybe at the end of the month we can do it on a Saturday or Sunday as well?
Nintendo players and One Piece readers, just better people.

RomanceDawn

Offline noname2200

• Not a douche. Seriously.
  • Score: 21
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: August 06, 2012, 06:44:52 PM »
Too much work to get through tonight. I won't be able to make it. Again. :/

Offline Ceric

• Once killed four Deviljho in one hunt
  • Score: 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: August 07, 2012, 02:41:53 PM »
Wednesday isn't really a good day because that's when we have our NWR staff meetings, which would limit my and other staff members' ability to participate. We were doing them on Tuesday for a while, but I switched to Mondays because I've been in a summer class on Tuesday nights. That ends this coming Tuesday, so maybe I'll switch it back the following week.
Somewhat surprised you can have Staff Meetings on Wednesday at where was that again?

A lot of people have religious service that day.
Need a Personal NonCitizen-Magical-Elf-Boy-Child-Game-Abused-King-Kratos-Play-Thing Crimm Unmaker-of-Worlds-Hunter-Of-Boxes
so, I don't have to edit as Much.

Offline TheFleece

• K.K. Slider Vinyl Collector
  • Score: 14
    • View Profile
    • I Draw Machine Foods
« Reply #33 on: August 07, 2012, 11:28:43 PM »
I used to miss the posts, but they've been more noticeable lately. Having the New Game be the focus of the night is fine, but I think people should be free to meet up in the chat and maybe decide to play something else. I have a good roster of 3DS games that use online and I've played most of them. I definitely want to play more and even when I get in late I don't mind playing because anyone on the West Coast will be up playing, but Mondays are not good for me at all. I've been finding myself free Tuesday nights.
Handhelds at Heart
---
It's like a finger pointing away to the moon....
You don't want no part of this ***!
Animal Crossing New Leaf Pics

Offline Tizona

• Score: 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: August 19, 2012, 06:33:52 PM »
I would love to be involved, but I'm not really sure where to start.

I don't play online games very often and my friends roster is pretty small. Do any games besides MK7 have a "community" online function?
"Hear the crashing, see the flames and the sparks! TIZONA!"

Offline NWR_insanolord

• NWR Staff Pro
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: August 19, 2012, 07:24:49 PM »
No, sadly, the communities seem to be exclusive to Mario Kart at the moment. You should add people from our 3DS friend code thread, which can be found here, because we've got a great community here on these forums and a lot of people you could be playing with.

J.P. Corbran

Offline Tizona

• View Profile
« Reply #36 on: August 19, 2012, 07:35:31 PM »
No, sadly, the communities seem to be exclusive to Mario Kart at the moment. You should add people from our 3DS friend code thread, which can be found here, because we've got a great community here on these forums and a lot of people you could be playing with.

Yeah, my code is on there, and I've added a lot of people, but many never added me back, so it's a little tough.
Just another reason these friend codes really need to go. It would be so much easier if these people could just "accept" instead of having to add my code. (I just added you Insanolord BTW)
"Hear the crashing, see the flames and the sparks! TIZONA!"

Offline NWR_insanolord

• NWR Staff Pro
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: August 19, 2012, 07:39:05 PM »
With that thread, it's a good idea to send a personal message through the forums to everyone you add, because otherwise they probably won't know you added them. I know I'm happy to add anybody who adds mine, but I don't check the thread very often, and I know a lot of other people are that way too. You're absolutely right, there needs to be a better system than this, but in the meantime we have to bridge the gap ourselves

J.P. Corbran

Offline vinniebrock

• Score: -5
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: August 22, 2012, 12:17:55 AM »
my thoughts, from the Community Night post:
I like that we pick what to play, but I (personally) would like to see Community Night be on Saturday... Basically just because most people are home on the weekend, and it might be easier to set stuff up that way. Plus it'd be more relaxed, for me anyway. Because it's on monday / tuesday (now), it's hard for me to make any time due to work and/or school.

Offline Art_de_Cat

• View Profile
« Reply #39 on: August 24, 2012, 01:23:31 PM »
Yeah messaging people when you add them does help to make sure both parties know to share codes.
I guess that's true.....

Offline Ceric

• Once killed four Deviljho in one hunt
  • Score: 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: August 24, 2012, 03:13:50 PM »
I still haven't add Broodwars and he did PM me.  The problem being I always remember when I don't have Internet which is a stupid requirement by the way.

Honestly I'm hoping the WiiU and Miiverse 3DS push will make it easier to just hop on with people not on your friendlist and that will make these type of things easier.
Need a Personal NonCitizen-Magical-Elf-Boy-Child-Game-Abused-King-Kratos-Play-Thing Crimm Unmaker-of-Worlds-Hunter-Of-Boxes
so, I don't have to edit as Much.

Offline Art_de_Cat

• View Profile
« Reply #41 on: September 03, 2012, 03:58:39 PM »
Havent seen word on the next night, when will it be?  Hiopefully there will be more people wanting to play games instead of the game* that the people were trying a few weeks ago......
I guess that's true.....

Offline xcwarrior

• View Profile
« Reply #42 on: September 07, 2012, 11:18:58 AM »
I have a variety of games (MK7, Kid Icarus, Mario Tennis, Tetris Axis, lots of Wii games, heck I have PC games trough Steam). Let's just get together and we can find something to game.
Nintendo ID: XCWarrior
3DS code: 1289-8376-3350. PM me if you want to swap.
Steam and backloggery.com are also: XCWarrior

Offline cflo

• View Profile
« Reply #43 on: September 08, 2012, 02:58:58 AM »
There should be some game nights scheduled during the weekend; I've got work and studying to do during the week.