Author Topic: the GBP/GC bundle to put the nail in xbox coffin?  (Read 5426 times)

Offline K_Icyfire

• Score: 0
    • View Profile
the GBP/GC bundle to put the nail in xbox coffin?
« on: May 21, 2003, 04:26:05 PM »
i dont doubt it.  who else thinks the same?  Poor lil xbox, i almost feel sorry for it.

Offline Polyethylene

• View Profile
« Reply #1 on: May 21, 2003, 04:40:21 PM »
I think is going to give a lift to the GameCube but is not like they're going to kill xbox. I hope i'm wrong 'cause i hate that big useless block.
Hail to the thief

Offline Matrix

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 21, 2003, 05:07:27 PM »
Nah. It'll boost the Cube, but it won't really hurt the Box. Which is good either way, I'd hate to see it the Xbox go, though I want to see Nintendo do better..

Offline joshnickerson

• Score: 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 21, 2003, 05:09:08 PM »
It's a nice dream, but I doubt it.

Offline Sea Dragon

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 21, 2003, 05:12:09 PM »
Your fantasies are unlikely. But beautiful.
Use genuine SNES controllers on your PC...
www.deepdarksea.com

If you go to battle without proper equipment, you will expose your member to danger.

Offline Scyth3r

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 21, 2003, 05:14:17 PM »
Umm... no.

Offline K_Icyfire

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 21, 2003, 05:23:04 PM »
i wouldn't care if the xbox went cuz you can count the exclusive hits on it on one finger. lol that magazine was really correct.  I think this bundle'd help the gamecube oBliTeraTe the xbox.  This gb player is the best thing to happen since sliced bread.

Offline penfold

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 21, 2003, 06:23:47 PM »
The usual response from the XBOX fanboys would be something like this: "The XBOX has exclusive hits more than just one", but the key word here is 'hits'. Even Splinter Cell doesnt count anymore as a exclusive hit for the XBOX since its available on all platforms, even the Game Boy Advance.

I do have to congratuate Nintendo for its list of reasons for getting a Cube in the latest issue of Nintendo Power. I feel it was time for Nintendo to get busy and point out to the videogaming public why they should buy a GameCube over the PS2 and the XBOX. So, what if they do try the same methods that OXM did in pointing out why people should buy their XBOX? What matters is that the Cube is a very powerful gaming console and does have an excellent library of games to choose from. I do own all systems, but I do favor the Cube and XBOX both the same. The PS2 system, however, is a big yawn for me.

Offline Termin8Anakin

• Auuuu =\
    • View Profile
RE: the GBP/GC bundle to put the nail in xbox coffin?
« Reply #8 on: May 21, 2003, 06:42:25 PM »
I am all pro-Nintendo.
Comin at ya with High Level Course Language and Violence

Offline jstone

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 21, 2003, 06:57:09 PM »
"i dont doubt it. who else thinks the same? Poor lil xbox, i almost feel sorry for it. "

Your kidding right. I hate the xbox but to think that anything Nintendo is doing is giving the xbox trouble is a joke. It is really sad that Nintendo has to throw in that stuff plus be a cheap price just in the hopes to compete.

Offline HereticPB

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 21, 2003, 07:05:09 PM »
I think that those that wanted a GC already have one and that this Combo pack probably won't do the trick. It may lift some sells but its not gonna kill the Big Black beast Box!

HtPB
Visit my sites
| Nintendo Centrum | NC Forums |

Offline DRJ

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 21, 2003, 07:08:26 PM »
Nintendo may be giving things away, but they are still making money. M$ is spending Billions just to compete. The better XBox sells, the more money M$ loses. XBox will not go away, M$ has stated that they are in for the long haul and they have like 40 billion cash to back them up for as long as they want.

Ralph: Hi, Principal Skinner! Hi, Super Nintendo Chalmers!

Offline Samwise Gamgee

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 21, 2003, 07:26:19 PM »
it wont do nothing for the GC unless they start advertiaing like crazy!
"I made a promise! A promis; Don't you leave him Samewise Gamgee, and i don't mean to, i don't mean to!"

Offline Grey Ninja

• Retired Forum Drunk
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 21, 2003, 08:24:10 PM »
Pipe dream, and that's about it.  If anything were to finally kill Xbox, it would be serious Square-Enix support, coupled with Rockstar and Konami games.
Once I had, a little game
I liked to crawl back into my brain
I think you know the game I mean

Offline Mario

• IWATA BOAT!?
  • Score: 8
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 21, 2003, 09:06:01 PM »
Should be interesting to see what the GBP/GC bundle will do to Gamecubes popularity.

Offline BlkPaladin

• Score: 9
    • View Profile
    • Minkmultimedia
« Reply #15 on: May 21, 2003, 09:30:55 PM »
Nintendo isn't getting hurt by offering it in a bundle. Its going to us to buy the thing seprate the price of a game. That means Nintendo is making them for cheep. (GBP=GBA-screen-controls+bigger box) So they can afford to offer them for cheep. I don't know if they will have the free game offered with the combo though. (Though if they are still running the program I don't doubt that many retailers will still give you the free game even if Nintendo says no.)
Stupidity is lost on my. Then again I'm almost always lost.

Offline Mannypon

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: May 21, 2003, 10:36:34 PM »
I would wish it killed of xbox.  I currently own all the systems and have bought almost every major system since back durin the snes/genesis era.  The xbox has by far gathered the most dust out of all the systems.  I'll go so far as to say that my nintendo 64 gets more play time then my xbox.  I'm not biased or anything but whenever I go out to the store to buy a game, there is nothing on the xbox's library that even catches my eye.  What really kills me is that the xbox is gettin so much props from the average consumer when in reallity it doesnt deserve most of it.  All in all, I doubt the new bundle will kill the xbox, the xbox seems to be here to stay regardless if it trully deserves to be or not.   The xbox is basically a stripped down pc and it'll be more fittin for the system to be tagged with an alienware logo as aposed to the X since it looks like a prototype alienware gaming setup.  Sorry in advance to any xbox fans readin this, I'm just lettin out steam from bein burned by microsoft.

Offline KDR_11k

• boring person
  • Score: 28
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: May 22, 2003, 07:05:22 AM »
XBox is like Windows: Even with superior competitors it will win. Heck, it's as if Gates made a pact with Satan himself!

Offline Gamer1982

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: May 22, 2003, 07:27:32 AM »
If anything, I think the bundle might give the view that the Cube is even more of a "kiddie" machine, as, in the eyes of the general public,  the GBA and many of its games seem targeted at a younger audience.  

Offline K_Icyfire

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: May 22, 2003, 10:27:12 AM »
The GBA sure but not the GBA SP.  thats geared more to adults.  its shaped like a cell phone.  The gba original is shaped like a toy.

Offline Michael8983

• View Profile
« Reply #20 on: May 22, 2003, 11:24:09 AM »
I'm sure it will drastically enhance the Gamecube's lead over the XBox world-wide and substantially lessen the gap between them in the US but it won't kill the XBox or anything.
Really, the XBox should already be dead. Most companies would drop a product that is burning away such a ridiculous amount of money. But MS is obviously just using the XBox as its way to break into the industry, hoping the XBox 2 (and 3,4,5, etc..) will make them some money. I doubt it will happen though. The XBox 2 won't stand a chance against the PS3. So unless MS is willing to lose tons of money keeping it alive too, it might just decide the gaming industry isn't even worth breaking into it anymore. When MS decided to throw its hat into the ring, gaming was a gold-mine. Now it seems like just about everyone in the industry except Nintendo is losing millions and facing certain death.

Offline Ninja X

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: May 22, 2003, 01:43:52 PM »
This bundle won't kill Xbox.  What might kill Xbox is if Nintendo has the exclusive rights to Halo.  
I got some killaz on my payroll.

Offline Cap

• View Profile
« Reply #22 on: May 22, 2003, 01:49:44 PM »
it seems to me that the bundle is more of a reaction to sonys announcement of the psp, rather then anything the xbox has done. it will help against xbox, but i think nintendo wants to sell more gba software(which would lead to gba hardware sales) to tighten their grip on the handheld market
before sony steps in. by making the games playable on gamecube, its even more incentive for third partys to make games for gba.

if nintendo really wanted to put an end to the xbox, it could be done though. they would have to take some losses, but throw a gba:sp in for free with the purchase of a gamecube and sales will increase like you've never seen(well, i think so anyways). i still think even a normal gba would have been the better option for the bundle with how much nintendo seems to want to push the link feature.

Offline kennyb27

• President of Nintendo. Seriously!
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: May 22, 2003, 02:05:41 PM »
K_Icyfire, the fantasies of Nintendo taking over the market and killing Xbox are great and all.  There's just one point lacking...logic.  This bundle is a great deal, but sadly it will not win over the market, please come back from your dream world.
-Kenny

Now Playing: I-Ninja (GC), Pokemon LeafGreen (GBA), Nintendogs (DS), Mario Golf: Toadstool Tour (GC)
Just Finished: Legend of Zelda: Wind Waker (GC), Paper Mario: Thousand Year Door (GC) Legend of Zelda: Minish Cap (GBA)
Need money for: Advance Wars: Dual St