Author Topic: Professor Layton will rise again?...Yes!  (Read 4962 times)

Offline TOPHATANT123

• Wear a hat that's foil lined in case an alien's inclined to probe your butt or read your mind
  • Score: 12
    • View Profile
Professor Layton will rise again?...Yes!
« on: June 24, 2016, 09:25:30 AM »
http://neogaf.com/showthread.php?t=1238698

There are rumblings from the man himself Akihiro Hino via live stream that Professor Layton will rise again with classic Layton gameplay, but this time starring a new main character.

Layton 7 for smartphones and 3DS was revealed at Level 5 Vision 2013, the game went completely silent for two years and was shown again at Level 5 Vision 2015 but looked completely different. The development must have been restarted as it went from a "Puzzle RPG" to what looks like a riff on the game werewolf. The new Layton 7 was scheduled for Summer 2015 for IOS and Android in Japan and looked quite far along in development, but here we are in 2016 and the game has still not been released.

This year's Level 5 Vision is scheduled for July 27th and trailers for Yokai Watch 3 and Snack World have been released ahead of the event.

Inspiration for the series and credited Puzzle Master on all of the Layton games: Akira Tago, passed away this March at the age of 90.
« Last Edit: July 27, 2016, 08:59:51 AM by TOPHATANT123 »

Offline Socar

• Score: 0
    • View Profile
Re: Professor Layton will rise again?
« Reply #1 on: June 26, 2016, 12:20:45 AM »
My guess is that the new protagonist has to be Luke....if Layton and his son aren't the main stars. Though slapping the title layton and not having anyone related to layton is a bit odd.....

I kinda lost interest in the series mainly because of how I disliked the way they made Azran Legacy. I know its only one game but that game disappointed me big time. Hopefully, this new game fixes all the issues that the former had.

Offline TOPHATANT123

• Wear a hat that's foil lined in case an alien's inclined to probe your butt or read your mind
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 26, 2016, 12:59:21 AM »
Yes, I'd say the segmentation of all the different artifact things into different chapters that you can play in any order did hurt the sense of progression in terms of difficulty, and the main mystery of the game kinda goes into the background for 1/3 of the game instead focusing on mini mysteries, though overall I still love Azran Legacy. The beginning few chapters before you go on the journey are some of the series's best in my opinion.

Luke makes sense for the new main character, although something that seems to point against that is that from the art shown it looks like at least some of it will take place in London.

Offline Socar

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 26, 2016, 09:58:26 AM »
Its not just the progression alone....everything else of the game is seriously disappointing and easily my least favorite game in the series.

The story is incredibly cliche in Azran Legacy. Even Miracle Mask had interesting plot twists here and there but the way its implemented here is so damn poor. Nothing in the story stands out and it just made the overall progress pointless in the end. And that there were too many plot holes that were in the game.

But even if you ignore the story, the gameplay here is no better. There's the problem with the puzzles as majority of them are loosely based on the previous games and only very few of them stand out (unless you're not mentioning weekly puzzles which I haven't played and am not that much into)

Sure you can say the same for the previous games but there, it doesn't borrow too much.

Look, I get that the game is decent to some, but seeing as how this is the last time Layton will be the main hero here, you expect to get the best of it rather than to put up with all of this.

Offline pokepal148

• Inquire within for reasonable rates.
  • Score: -9967
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 26, 2016, 10:50:11 AM »
I have a copy of unwound future I should probably start playing.

Offline Phil

• Good day, citizens!
  • Score: 51
    • View Profile
    • SuperPhillip Central
« Reply #5 on: June 27, 2016, 02:10:56 PM »
I have a copy of unwound future I should probably start playing.

My favorite Layton game by far! The ending is SO good!
Switch Friend Code: SW-4962-7799-3963 (Phil)

Offline azeke

• He's ruining Splatfest for the rest of us
  • Score: 11
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 27, 2016, 04:37:30 PM »
THIS SUMMER
Winners don't hate and W101 rocks

Offline TOPHATANT123

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 27, 2016, 08:59:13 AM »

Offline Socar

• View Profile
Re: Professor Layton will rise again?...Yes!
« Reply #8 on: July 27, 2016, 09:32:28 AM »
My reaction to the trailer is just...bland.

When the previous entries focused so much in archaeology, why is it that now all of a sudden that its termed detective agency? I get that both are about solving mysteries but exactly what mysteries are you solving in this new series?

Also, while I haven't played Layton Brothers, isn't it odd that Layon first has a son and now he has a daughter?

I'm not a big fan of the dog talk going on there as it breaks the sense of realism that the series originally gave and the way they are approaching things is how a typical anime looks like which wasn't the case earlier.....which worries me a bit.

So far it looks like a typical Layton game but will they do better than Azran Legacy is my real concern here....

« Last Edit: July 27, 2016, 09:34:37 AM by Socar »