Author Topic: original Wii disc drive acting funny.  (Read 6139 times)

Offline supermario2k

• Totally not The Rat. Really.
  • Score: 0
    • View Profile
original Wii disc drive acting funny.
« on: May 09, 2016, 03:40:44 PM »
I picked up a pair of Wii's over the weekend for $5 bucks at a flea market. I thought hell to complete working consoles for half a ten dollar bill can't complain. Well one unit works perfect I will be using it exclusively as a Game Cube since I have Wii U for the two Wii games I own, both digital copies.
Well the other unit has something wrong with the disc drive. If I select Disc Channel it gives a message saying disc is unreadable or something to that effect. When I hit eject nothing happens, the blue light comes on it makes a grinding noise and nothing spits out. Well I try to insert a disc, Game Cube or Wii and nothing it won't take the disc, same thing blue light comes on but that is it, nothing goes in or comes out. Is there some sort of trick to making this disc drive work? Is it broken and in need of repairs? If so are the repairs cheap, or easy to do on your own? Is there a special satanic ritual to get it to release like there was making NES games work?
If I can't get the disc drive to work I might just home brew the thing or see if Nintendo will let me transfer my Wii virtual console games to it at the very least. IDK I might just trade it to the used game store for the $2 they might give for it.
« Last Edit: August 26, 2018, 02:34:58 AM by Wino »

Offline Mop it up

• And I've gotta say...
  • Score: 125
    • View Profile
Re: original Wii disc drive acting funny.
« Reply #1 on: May 15, 2016, 02:34:00 PM »
To me, it sounds like there may be some object stuck in the drive which is not a disc, and that's why it is unable to be ejected. It's possible to buy replacement OEM drives and swap it out yourself, but, one would cost you a lot more than $5 so it probably wouldn't be worth it to you.

Offline supermario2k

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 20, 2016, 02:13:55 PM »
Oh I already Home Brewed the thing. I got a spare which disc drive does work and a Wii U for Wii games if I need it. I got a pair of them at a flea market for $5 total. Not a piece but total so for me it's all good. Thanks for the reply Mop it Up.

Offline BranDonk Kong

• Eat your f'ing cat!
  • Score: 10131
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 25, 2016, 05:24:46 PM »
You can send me the busted Wii if you want, if there's something in the drive I can get it out for you. Just pay for shipping both ways. Wouldn't charge anything just to take apart and remove something that might be in there, only takes a few minutes.
I think it says on the box, 'No Hispanics' " - Jeff Green of EA

Offline supermario2k

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 07, 2016, 11:17:08 PM »
Thanks for the offer man, but I decided since I home brewed channeled it I will leave it as an emu machine for now. I might actually just trash it or keep it or spare parts but honestly I don't think I need it for that even.