Author Topic: Holy crap! DOOM and Wolfenstein on Switch!  (Read 28778 times)

Offline BranDonk Kong

• Eat your f'ing cat!
  • Score: 10131
    • View Profile
Holy crap! DOOM and Wolfenstein on Switch!
« on: September 13, 2017, 06:31:53 PM »
This is a friggin' great Direct!
I think it says on the box, 'No Hispanics' " - Jeff Green of EA

Offline ThePerm

• predicted it first.
  • Score: 64
    • View Profile
Re: Holy crap! DOOM and Wolfenstein on Switch!
« Reply #1 on: September 13, 2017, 07:56:53 PM »
Best one in years!

It had several clotheslines and some stunners.

Minecraft on 3ds? Jeez.

The cement has set.
NWR has permission to use any tentative mockup/artwork I post

Offline Dauterive

• Score: 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 13, 2017, 08:11:22 PM »
Is this the best Nintendo direct...ever? I can't think of one better.

Offline ThePerm

• predicted it first.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 13, 2017, 08:22:03 PM »
Is this the best Nintendo direct...ever? I can't think of one better.

I found out about LA Noire coming the the Switch a few days ago, But Doom and Wolfenstein 2 is very optimistic to hear.
« Last Edit: September 13, 2017, 09:57:44 PM by ThePerm »

Offline Luigi Dude

• Truth Bomber
  • Score: 4
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 13, 2017, 08:33:56 PM »
It is rather funny how we have a western third party giving Nintendo two ultra violent FPS filled with dismemberment, one involves killing demons in hell and the other Nazi's in America while a fellow Japanese third party still can't be bothered to port a collection of 8-bit retro Disney 2D platformers and another collection of Mega Man titles.

Have we officially entered bizarro world?
I’m gonna have you play every inch of this game! - Masahiro Sakurai

Offline BranDonk Kong

• Eat your f'ing cat!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 13, 2017, 08:47:27 PM »
Yeah I was like "oh neat Minecraft on 3DS...wait, today?! Wtf?"

Offline ShyGuy

• Fight Me!
  • Score: -9660
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 13, 2017, 09:10:05 PM »

Looks good, if that footage is running on Switch.

Offline BranDonk Kong

• Eat your f'ing cat!
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 13, 2017, 09:57:34 PM »
I would water that it is the Switch version, since Wolfenstein wasn't shown, and everything else shown was running on Switch.

Offline MagicCow64

• Still no title
  • Score: 9
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 13, 2017, 11:38:34 PM »
This is kind of stunning. I kinda figured after E3 that this tier of 3rd party support wasn't going to materialize outside of a handful of special deals like Skyrim. I guess it's still the same publisher, and there are still a lot of conspicuous absences, but this could be a turning point. And I would be tickled if the ultra-low settings versions of stuff on Switch helped it smoke the doofy 1.5 consoles this generation.

Offline ShyGuy

• Fight Me!
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 13, 2017, 11:44:15 PM »
First graphics comparison I've found:

Textures have definitely taken a hit, but I still think it looks good. I wonder if it's running on the Vulcan renderer or OpenGL?

Offline ShyGuy

• Fight Me!
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 13, 2017, 11:47:38 PM »
Single player +DLC is on the cartridge, multi-player is a download, Snap editor not included, not surprised.

https://gonintendo.com/stories/290095-doom-includes-all-updates-dlc-lacking-level-editor-physical-c

Offline ThePerm

• predicted it first.
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 13, 2017, 11:58:13 PM »
When It's only lighting and texturing it isn't a big deal. Plus on the Switch Screen it's going to look different.

Offline Luigi Dude

• Truth Bomber
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 14, 2017, 12:37:48 AM »
The graphics looks pretty good on the Switch version.  Yeah the PS4 version still looks better but this isn't Wii vs PS3/360 level gap anymore.  As long as the Switch version at least runs nice and doesn't suffer from major framerate issues this game could end up doing pretty well.

Offline ThePerm

• predicted it first.
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 14, 2017, 12:50:14 AM »
Most people thought the framerate looked really good in the videos.

Months ago I made a post and the content of the post was basically if we really wanted to have a vote of confidence for the Switch we should see a game like Doom show up. Well here it is!

If Doom(4) is ported to Switch then we will have no third party problems with Switch. The rumors are Switch only has 4GB of ram, which are below Dooms requirements, but it Switch is cartridge based, so many games won't require as much ram.

Also funny reading old prediction threads.

The first year is going to be relatively low key. After 1 week all of the "analysts" will spout doom and gloom for a few months. Slowly the early adopters will show off the Wii U to friends. The thing that will impress people the most will be that it makes an awesome remote control for their tv. Over the next year Ubisoft's sales on Wii U will be pretty high, mainly because they are the only choice in town. Zombi U will be a top seller despite mixed reviews, because of this a sequel will be announced and also other Zombie series like dead island will be announced for the console. The DeadIsland game will get mediocre sales because its an old game by this time. A sequel will be on ps4 and xbox 720. When asked if the sequel will come to Wii U the developer will come up with vague answers and stupid excuses.

Nintendo will show a new Zelda game, and the new Retro game, the Retro game will probably be a new Metroid game. Both will look gorgeous. That is if Retro isn't making Zelda, in which case Nintendo will not have anything for the show. a 3d mario will be absent until the next year, but only in video form.

The next year Nintendo will release a bunch of games I don't care about a long with a new Zelda or a new Zelda and Metroid. There will be 3 good 3rd party games and that will be it. Despite this Wii U will have good sales, better than gamecube, but not quite as good as Wiis were.

The next year Nintendo will take a franchise from the other systems, but it will be one nobody cares about at this point, and likely an updated port of the original title. Right before its release, a much more promising sequel will be announced and everyone will want it. Further more it will be revealed that the game we were waiting for wont remain exclusive for long.

The next e3 the new mario game will be announced, with mixed enthusiasm. It will be reviewed well by critics, but g4tv will be totally against it.

eternal darkness and shenmue 3 will be announced for the IwiiU, but cancelled 2 months later.

Nintendo might buy Sega.

It isn't what happened but it has a very Nintendo Vibe.
« Last Edit: September 14, 2017, 01:08:13 AM by ThePerm »

Offline Caterkiller

• Not too big for Smash Bros. after all
  • Score: 74
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: September 14, 2017, 01:15:14 AM »
I am so in with both of these games! The real games and not some ultra watered down BS on rails version! Wahoo!
Nintendo players and One Piece readers, just better people.

RomanceDawn

Offline ThePerm

• predicted it first.
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: September 14, 2017, 01:22:19 AM »
I still don't have a Switch, but these are very good reasons to get one.

Zelda BOTW
Doom
Wolfenstein
Mario Kart 8
Mario Odyssey
Skyrim
Splatoon
Metroid Prime 4

The gravitational force of all of those games combined is strong. We know one day there will be Pokémon and Smash Bros.  The way things keep going we'll have GTAV, Fallout 4, and FFVII.

« Last Edit: September 14, 2017, 01:25:22 AM by ThePerm »

Offline Luigi Dude

• Truth Bomber
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: September 14, 2017, 01:36:58 AM »
The way things keep going we'll have GTAV, Fallout 4, and FFVII.

If Skyrim and Doom sell well then I'd easily expect a GTAV and Fallout 4 announcement sometime in the Spring.  Western third parties are usually better at porting their big games to every system that can handle them and if the Switch can handle Doom and it sells well, I don't see many really refusing.  Except for maybe EA if they're still butthurt Nintendo didn't use Origin for the Wii U's entire online network, something they were foolish to ever think would happen in the first place.

Offline BranDonk Kong

• Eat your f'ing cat!
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: September 14, 2017, 05:20:03 AM »
I think GTA V will come to Switch next year, which will push it to the #3 highest selling game of all time...if it isn't already there.

Offline Mop it up

• And I've gotta say...
  • Score: 125
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: September 14, 2017, 12:05:50 PM »
I'm mildly curious about DooM since I like the original game, but I don't really like modern graphics styles.

Offline ThePerm

• predicted it first.
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: September 14, 2017, 08:58:36 PM »
When they first showed off Doom(4) I was a little weary because it was initially somewhat slow placed. This was contrasted by a fan mod of the original Doom called Brutal Doom which was amazing looking while being Retro.

However, when Doom(4) was finally released I played a Demo and they had fixed the pacing issues. It is a fairly decent looking game. It does have a similar style to the original Doom, it isn't just some random modern space shooter. However, we have to keep in mind that the Doom series are the games that set the trends for Sci-fi shooters. In coming years all these games are going to look more like Doom(4)

The other thing about Doom is it gives us very high hopes for Metroid Prime 4. Very similar games in some ways. A game programmed natively for Switch like Prime 4 should look amazing.

Also, if we put our eggs in the Bethesda basket that bodes well for Evil Within 1 & 2
« Last Edit: September 14, 2017, 09:22:52 PM by ThePerm »

Offline Ian Sane

• Champion for Urban Champion
  • Score: 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: September 14, 2017, 11:14:37 PM »
When I look at other forums that are not Nintendo focused there is some grumbling that games like this on the Switch will have compromised visuals but there is also a feeling among Switch owners that this is worthwhile for the trade-off of having the game be portable.  Since the Wii, Nintendo has insisted that their users trade off contemporary console specs and the advantages that come from that in return for something else.  For the Wii and Wii U it was a different controller.  With the Switch they've found something that gamers feel is worth that trade-off.  The Wii U certainly never had that.  "Hey put up with compromised specs for a screen controller!"  Gimme a break.  No wonder it went nowhere.  But the ability to take console games on the go with you and then put it on your TV when you get home?  That's an awesome concept!

Nintendo has done a good job at front loading the Switch lineup with some killer games but really this concept is why the Switch is selling so well.  Yeah Wolfenstein on the PS4 is probably going to have a better textures and a better framerate but you're tethered to your living room in a world where no one can leave the house without carrying a glorified computer in their pocket.  You can take the Switch version with you anywhere just like you can with every other piece of software or digital media.  For someone that wants the portability the Switch version of multiplatform games is automatically the one to buy.  When was the last time a Nintendo console was in that position?  The fuckin' SNES?!

Offline Luigi Dude

• Truth Bomber
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: September 14, 2017, 11:54:18 PM »
Nintendo has done a good job at front loading the Switch lineup with some killer games but really this concept is why the Switch is selling so well.  Yeah Wolfenstein on the PS4 is probably going to have a better textures and a better framerate but you're tethered to your living room in a world where no one can leave the house without carrying a glorified computer in their pocket.  You can take the Switch version with you anywhere just like you can with every other piece of software or digital media.  For someone that wants the portability the Switch version of multiplatform games is automatically the one to buy.  When was the last time a Nintendo console was in that position?  The fuckin' SNES?!

This also puts Nintendo in a great position in the future as well.  With Microsoft and Sony fighting over who has the most powerful specs, how exactly are they going to still balance that while trying to compete with Nintendo now?  How much would a hybrid PS4 or Xbox One have costed at launch?  How powerful can Sony make the PS5 if they want to give the most cutting edge specs but allow for a portable hybrid that's still affordable.

Nintendo has basically created a system that is a win-win no matter what.  Either Microsoft and Sony sacrifice power to release affordable hybrids next gen, which makes it easier for Nintendo to continue receiving third party support, or they continue release more powerful home console only devices, that just gives Nintendo a monopoly over the hybrid market and continues receiving third party support anyway because there's a huge market for what Nintendo's offering.

Offline BranDonk Kong

• Eat your f'ing cat!
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: September 16, 2017, 12:07:15 PM »
The other thing about Doom is it gives us very high hopes for Metroid Prime 4. Very similar games in some ways. A game programmed natively for Switch like Prime 4 should look amazing.

Didn't even think about that, but agreed 100%. DOOM on Switch will set the bar for how an FPS should look on the console, Metroid Prime 4 should raise that bar.

Offline Stogi

• The Stratos You Should All Try To Be Like
  • Score: 18
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: September 20, 2017, 02:00:11 AM »

This also puts Nintendo in a great position in the future as well.  With Microsoft and Sony fighting over who has the most powerful specs, how exactly are they going to still balance that while trying to compete with Nintendo now?  How much would a hybrid PS4 or Xbox One have costed at launch?  How powerful can Sony make the PS5 if they want to give the most cutting edge specs but allow for a portable hybrid that's still affordable.

Nintendo has basically created a system that is a win-win no matter what.  Either Microsoft and Sony sacrifice power to release affordable hybrids next gen, which makes it easier for Nintendo to continue receiving third party support, or they continue release more powerful home console only devices, that just gives Nintendo a monopoly over the hybrid market and continues receiving third party support anyway because there's a huge market for what Nintendo's offering.

Ehh...I have a feeling OEM's will release multiple versions of the same console (portable vs more powerful) sometime down the line that are all capable of playing the same game.
black fairy tales are better at sports

Offline ShyGuy

• Fight Me!
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: September 21, 2017, 04:33:31 PM »
The word is out and Doom is 30fps, at least in handheld mode. Has anyone heard otherwise for Docked mode? Disappointing, but I will still get it. All the impressions have been positive.