Author Topic: Some things I need to get off my chest about Wii  (Read 12462 times)

Offline DolphENDO

• Score: 0
    • View Profile
Some things I need to get off my chest about Wii
« on: April 28, 2006, 01:41:38 AM »
I like the new name.  I liked it the moment I read up on it.  Its weird as hell to say, ill admit that.  Its just a fricken retarded-ass name!  But you know what, dudes?  Thats exactly why I like it.  It's different.  Its unique.  New.

I was reading the discussion the employees here had on the new name.  And I found myself stopping not even half way through.  I was TIRED of their bull****!!!  For christs sake....  They were blabbiling on about how the name has no meaning WHATSOEVER!  That for one pissed me off because there is a meaning.  Wii's explanation was clearly already explained, and you can already find it here on Planetgamecube.  http://www.planetgamecube.com/newsArt.cfm?artid=11362.  Johnny is the guy that comes to mind when it comes to that.  I mean, this news story was posted before that conversation happened.  Anyone who has half a brain after reading that (and I am sure Johnny read it) should know that Wii means "we"  meaning "us.  you, me, them, grandma, grandpa, mom, dad, dog.  we the people"  And plus the 2 i's symbolise the controllers, says nintendo.  It makes PERFECT sense.  I don't see where the confusion is!!!

On a final note, its been confirmed that its not called The Nintendo Wii.  Or Nintendo Wii.  If it was then people would be able to abreviate it to NW.  There are no abbreviations, says Nintendo.  It's called Wii.  If you just simply call it Wii, and if you put aside the immature potty, penis, excited kid, and midget humor, you will find it rolls off your tounge.  "Excuse me sir, but do you by chance have Super Mario 128 on Wii in stock?"  Sure it sounds weird as hell right now, but it works for me for some reason.

Offline Avinash_Tyagi

• View Profile
RE:Some things I need to get off my chest about Wii
« Reply #1 on: April 28, 2006, 02:36:25 AM »
I'll admit the name is starting to sound better the more I hear it.

But I'm going to refer to it as the N-Wii (kinda sounds like envy)

Offline Ceric

• Once killed four Deviljho in one hunt
    • View Profile
RE: Some things I need to get off my chest about Wii
« Reply #2 on: April 28, 2006, 03:41:23 AM »
Well I'm done ranting.  My opinion is known.  I can live with it.  It's a cool name.  But I was wondering if, sense its official and all, if the font could be enlarged on the forum link.  Because it's now much hard to hit then the long word Revolution.  Just for ergonomic sakes. (Is it just me or does it look to take less space then DS)
Need a Personal NonCitizen-Magical-Elf-Boy-Child-Game-Abused-King-Kratos-Play-Thing Crimm Unmaker-of-Worlds-Hunter-Of-Boxes
so, I don't have to edit as Much.

Offline Artimus

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 28, 2006, 03:58:20 AM »
I'm done ranting too. I can almost see it working if they market it as a character, not a box. AKA "Meet Wii" so it's like the system is someone with a name. They CANNOT market it as "Meet the Wii" because it's too weird. But if Wii is a name, not what it is, then it might be ok.

I just want it to work...

Offline mantidor

• Score: 4
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 28, 2006, 04:50:06 AM »
you dont see where the confusion is? its very simple really, Nintendo had to explain the damn name, if you have to explain it the name it sucks. I still keep confusing with it WWII (hardly a good thing) or Wi-Fi, a term Nintendo use plenty, if its confusing, yup you guess it, it sucks.

Yes, I slept over it, I repeated in my head a thousand times already, I hate the name even more now than I did when I first saw it.

"You borrow style elements from 20yr old scifi flicks and 10 yr old PC scifi flight shooters, and you add bump mapping and TAKE AWAY character, and you got Halo." -Pro

Offline trip1eX

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 28, 2006, 05:36:08 AM »
Yeah as the days go by everyone will let out their steam and gradually surrender to the name.  

Offline Smash_Brother

• Let me show you my poké-balls
  • Score: 3
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 28, 2006, 05:39:06 AM »

Originally posted by: trip1eX
Yeah as the days go by everyone will let out their steam and gradually surrender to the name.

I'm personally still going to call it the "Rev", as will everyone I know IRL.
"OK, first we need someone to complain about something trivial. Golden or S_B should do. Then we get someone to defend the game, like Bill or Mashiro. Finally add some Unclebob or Pro666 randomness and the thread should go to hell right away." -Pap64

Offline Bill Aurion

• NWR Forum Loli
  • Score: 34
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 28, 2006, 06:56:50 AM »
"its very simple really, Nintendo had to explain the damn name, if you have to explain it the name it sucks"

iPod says "Hey!"
~Former Resident Zelda Aficionado and Nintendo Fan~

Offline zakkiel

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 28, 2006, 07:04:31 AM »

iPod says "Hey!"
I never found that name baffling or stupid, personally. If Nintendo called their system the Nintenpod, I wouldn't cheer but I wouldn't be terribly upset.

Ah, the crushing weight of inevitable resignation: how I look forward to it.
Defenestration - the only humane method of execution.

Offline Rhoq

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 28, 2006, 07:06:59 AM »
I went to IGN last night (I usually hit PGC first, before heading off to other sites, but last night I didn't) to check-out the latest Revolution news, but guess what? The "Rev" link was gone.

I noticed the "Wii" link and my first thought was that IGN must have added a new "Wi-Fi" section, but forgot the "F". Then I thought maybe the Revolution section has become the "Wi-Fi" section. I clicked on the link and much to my surprise, shock and initial disappointment - there was no spelling error. Nintendo decided to rename the console which already had the perfect name ("Revolution") to "Wii". How cruel?

I still don't know if I like it. I don't think the name will prove to be all that popular, BUT I do know that I personally couldn't care less what the name of the system is. I can't wait to own one in the Fall. My only hope is that the "Revolution" name lives on in game titles (e.g. Super Mario Revolution, Madden NFL Revolution, etc.).  
PEACE--->Rhoq

Offline Bill Aurion

• NWR Forum Loli
  • Score: 34
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 28, 2006, 07:08:53 AM »
"I never found that name baffling or stupid, personally. If Nintendo called their system the Nintenpod, I wouldn't cheer but I wouldn't be terribly upset."

Well my point was that the name doesn't explain itself, yet the product is a huge success...Having to explain the name has no correlation with a product's success, no matter how many ways you try to deny it...
~Former Resident Zelda Aficionado and Nintendo Fan~

Offline mantidor

• Score: 4
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 28, 2006, 07:20:18 AM »
" never found that name baffling or stupid, personally. If Nintendo called their system the Nintenpod, I wouldn't cheer but I wouldn't be terribly upset."

That is my point, the name "iPod" doesnt need explanation because it doesnt mean anything, you just go "meh" over it, the name "Wii" needs explanation because it has several negative connotations no matter how juvenile and inmature in english speaking countries, and outside them is not the nicest of sounds that one could hear, its not appealing, it hasnt been appealing to anyone Ive talked to, I "have" to explain them where the name comes from.

"You borrow style elements from 20yr old scifi flicks and 10 yr old PC scifi flight shooters, and you add bump mapping and TAKE AWAY character, and you got Halo." -Pro

Offline obscureownership

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 28, 2006, 07:25:09 AM »

Originally posted by: mantidor
you dont see where the confusion is? its very simple really, Nintendo had to explain the damn name, if you have to explain it the name it sucks. I still keep confusing with it WWII (hardly a good thing) or Wi-Fi, a term Nintendo use plenty, if its confusing, yup you guess it, it sucks.

Yes, I slept over it, I repeated in my head a thousand times already, I hate the name even more now than I did when I first saw it.

For people not in the know, you'd have to explain the name anyways. To be honnest, GameCube is way worse for Nintendo because it was too easily confused with the Xbox. Infact, to many people who don't play games, GameCube and Xbox are one in the same. So having a name that sets them apart from the rest is going to help them out in this respect.
"we all no the revolutions gonna be worse than 360 and ps3 but hey its cheaper and i dont even think im gonna get any of them because i dont waste 400 bucks on sum crap that destroys your brain and cuts away from you guitar playing time!!!!!!!!!"

-A Review of the Wii by Cheese from Amazon dot

Offline The Omen

• Forum Fascist
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 28, 2006, 07:35:58 AM »

"its very simple really, Nintendo had to explain the damn name, if you have to explain it the name it sucks"

iPod says "Hey!"

Honestly, there was no way to confuse ipod with any other word or phrase in any language.  When you heard it, your focus was on the ipod solely.
"If a man comes to the door of poetry untouched by the madness of the muses, believing that technique alone will make him a great poet, he and his sane compositions never reach perfection, but are utterly eclipsed by the inspired madman." Socrates

Offline Spak-Spang

• The Frightened Fox
  • Score: 39
    • View Profile
    • MirandaNew.com
« Reply #14 on: April 28, 2006, 08:07:45 AM »
Welcome to WA  formerly NA.

First, I would like to thank you all for being strong and standing with Nintendo even when it was called ""I LOVE HALO 2"" and even when you thought there was no hope for Nintendo to be cool again.  

I see that a number of you have already committed suicide over Nintendo's new announcement.  Everyone else thank you for being strong.

I have something I must announce to all of you now though.  I actually like the name Wii.  I love everything about it.  Sure the initial shock was stunning, but just look at the name in print.  It's sexy, It's cool.  I want to make love to it, all night.  I even think its a fun to say, and really imaginative.  

So I come here to tell you.  I love Wii.  And I don't know what that means for my life...but thank you all for being supportive of me.  This is truly a time of need for all of us Wii fans.

Offline Spak-Spang

• The Frightened Fox
    • View Profile
    • MirandaNew.com
« Reply #15 on: April 28, 2006, 08:26:00 AM »
Damn you moderators.  I was making a funny satire..and its ruined with your word replacements trick.

You sir are no Jedi, but a Sith in disguise.

Offline Caliban

• In Space As Always
  • Score: 32
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: April 28, 2006, 08:38:21 AM »
A mod changed your post? lol how clever of them

Offline EasyCure

• wiggle wiggle wiggle wiggle wiggle, yeah!
  • Score: 75
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: April 28, 2006, 09:08:59 AM »
artimus hit it on the head.
turn the lil i dude into a character for ads and market it s "meet Wii"
"Wii likes to...." ::show him dodging and shooting those spheres from the nintendo trailer"
then show a game that could relate to it (the trailer sounded like it took metroid prim sound effects)
have that character, for instance samus do the same that Wii was just doing, close up shot of samus,
Fade into Wii the i character.

wanna show off the WE spect of it? after the first i character finishes posing, the second one comes out of nowhere and blast him.

fade to logo as a whole: Wii
underneath it have a phrase like "Wii like(s) it" (or something catchier)

that HAS to be better than the psp commercials right? i mean c'mon "psp...it has more than big guns" or "psp...its like nuts you can play with outside"!?!?!  wtf man....wtf?

if they market it as a true game machine EVERYONE can enjoy, i say we oficially change the spelling of TEAM with two i's : Tiim Nintendo
February 07, 2003, 02:35:52 PM
EASYCURE: I remember thinking(don't ask me why) this was a blond haired, blue eyed, chiseled athlete. Like he looked like Seigfried before he became Nightmare.

Offline Crimm

• Get your unfiltered Bowsette here!
  • NWR Staff Pro
  • Score: 1147
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: April 28, 2006, 09:56:43 AM »
Well I don't HATE it.  I do dislike it less today then I did yesterday.  That said, I don't think I'll love it by E3.
I doubt I ever will.  They really need to start advertising now, with the re-branding.  Just do, you know, ambiguous ads.  We've already taken the apple approach why not start viral marketing!
James Jones
Mondo Editor
Nintendo World Report

Offline Spak-Spang

• The Frightened Fox
    • View Profile
    • MirandaNew.com
« Reply #19 on: April 28, 2006, 11:19:13 AM »
If Nintendo designed marketing for Wii like that trailer we had.  Several different types of them months before the system is even released, then this Wii image has a chance to take off.

But it has to be a several Million dollar ad campaign, and literally plaster Wii everywhere.

Women's Magizines, Movies, television, cable channels, entertainment magizines.  

Pretty much place the image everywhere BUT where a traditional Nintendo ad would be.

Keep the cute and fun toon iis doing things....and literally have them doing EVERYTHING.

Eating Out
Going to the Spa
Dodging Weapons
Playing Tennis
Doing Crossword Puzzles
Watching a Movie
Cooking

Slogans could include:

"Meet Wii."

"Wii Live"

"Wii Play"

"Wii Cook"

This would literally start a huge hype and brand recognition campaign that would be huge.

Offline Smash_Brother

• Let me show you my poké-balls
  • Score: 3
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: April 28, 2006, 12:02:25 PM »
The name is the biggest mistake Nintendo has made since cartridges over CDs.

But it could still succeed if they spamvertise the living hell out of it, but I ain't holding my breath for that.
"OK, first we need someone to complain about something trivial. Golden or S_B should do. Then we get someone to defend the game, like Bill or Mashiro. Finally add some Unclebob or Pro666 randomness and the thread should go to hell right away." -Pap64

Offline RiskyChris

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: April 28, 2006, 01:37:17 PM »

Originally posted by: Smash_Brother
The name is the biggest mistake Nintendo has made since cartridges over CDs.

But it could still succeed if they spamvertise the living hell out of it, but I ain't holding my breath for that.

Overreact much?  This name is brilliant.  The word of mouth generated by it is mind-boggling.

Offline RickPowers

• IT Director
    Senior Editor
  • Score: 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: April 28, 2006, 01:45:38 PM »

Originally posted by: DolphENDO
I like the new name.  I liked it the moment I read up on it.  Its weird as hell to say, ill admit that.  Its just a fricken retarded-ass name!  But you know what, dudes?  Thats exactly why I like it.  It's different.  Its unique.  New.

I was reading the discussion the employees here had on the new name.  And I found myself stopping not even half way through.  I was TIRED of their bull****!!!  For christs sake....  They were blabbiling on about how the name has no meaning WHATSOEVER!  That for one pissed me off because there is a meaning.  Wii's explanation was clearly already explained, and you can already find it here on Planetgamecube.  http://www.planetgamecube.com/newsArt.cfm?artid=11362.  Johnny is the guy that comes to mind when it comes to that.  I mean, this news story was posted before that conversation happened.  Anyone who has half a brain after reading that (and I am sure Johnny read it) should know that Wii means "we"  meaning "us.  you, me, them, grandma, grandpa, mom, dad, dog.  we the people"  And plus the 2 i's symbolise the controllers, says nintendo.  It makes PERFECT sense.  I don't see where the confusion is!!!

On a final note, its been confirmed that its not called The Nintendo Wii.  Or Nintendo Wii.  If it was then people would be able to abreviate it to NW.  There are no abbreviations, says Nintendo.  It's called Wii.  If you just simply call it Wii, and if you put aside the immature potty, penis, excited kid, and midget humor, you will find it rolls off your tounge.  "Excuse me sir, but do you by chance have Super Mario 128 on Wii in stock?"  Sure it sounds weird as hell right now, but it works for me for some reason.

Just because we knew what Nintendo's rationale behind the name is, doesn't mean we have to accept it.  It does make sense AFTER it is explained.  The problem is, an explanation shouldn't be necessary.  I'm a marketing major, and I can tell you that the very first test you give a product name is whether or not you have to explain the name.  If you do, you go back to the drawing board.

Second, and I'll explain this in more detail on the site later, just because you've gotten used to it after a day of contemplation and a thorough explanation from Nintendo, doesn't mean that Joe Mainstream (who doesn't read gaming websites) will.  Remember ... you're not Nintendo's target market anymore.  Joe is, and Joe isn't walking into a store and asking for Mario on Wii.  He won't care how easy it is to say, or what it symbolizes.  All he cares about is how silly he'll feel saying it in front of his friends, and he'll avoid that embarrassment if at all possible.
:: Rob "Rick Powers" Stevens
:: Senior Editor Emeritus
:: Personal Blog
:: Wii Number: 7294 0910 3012 6153

Offline Ian Sane

• Champion for Urban Champion
  • Score: 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: April 28, 2006, 01:49:41 PM »
"Joe isn't walking into a store and asking for Mario on Wii."

If I can't get Mario on my Wii I'm going to absolutely FREAK!

Offline Hocotate

• View Profile
« Reply #24 on: April 28, 2006, 01:53:19 PM »

Originally posted by: Spak-Spang

Keep the cute and fun toon iis doing things....and literally have them doing EVERYTHING.

Eating Out
Going to the Spa
Dodging Weapons
Playing Tennis
Doing Crossword Puzzles
Watching a Movie
Cooking

Slogans could include:

"Meet Wii."

"Wii Live"

"Wii Play"

"Wii Cook"

This would literally start a huge hype and brand recognition campaign that would be huge.

I like this idea, I think if done correctly it could actually work in bringing new people who wouldn't play games to give the Wii a try.
Currently Playing: Twilight Princess(Wii), Castlevania: PoR(DS), Mario vs. Donkey Kong2(DS), Wii sports(Wii)
Anticipating: Mario Galaxy(Wii), Blue Dragon(360), Dragon Quest:Swords(Wii), Dragon Quest IX (DS)