Author Topic: IT'S MAHVEL BAYBEE!! [OT] for the Marvel Cinematic Universe (Movies & TV)  (Read 1166654 times)

Offline nickmitch

• You can edit these yourself now?!
  • Score: 82
    • View Profile
    • FACEBOOK!
Re: IT'S MAHVEL BAYBEE!! [OT] for the Marvel Cinematic Universe (Movies & TV)
« Reply #3775 on: February 19, 2019, 08:11:14 PM »
Nice. Hot?
TVman is dead. I killed him and took his posts.

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• Animal Crossing Hustler
  • Score: 409
    • View Profile
« Reply #3776 on: February 19, 2019, 09:56:26 PM »
I suspect whatever level of mature content rating Agents of SHIELD is rocking right now would be a pretty good indication of where any new Disney Marvel TV show would land.

AoS gets a little dark at times. if D+ is ok with that, then they can get away with enough to effectively get across whatever type of point they are trying to w/o getting too graphic.

Offline Shorty McNostril

• Blue text is gone :(
  • Score: 4
    • View Profile
« Reply #3777 on: February 20, 2019, 02:24:59 AM »
Early buzz for Captain Marvel.

http://collider.com/captain-marvel-reviews/

I am SO in.
« Last Edit: February 20, 2019, 03:22:00 AM by Shorty McNostril »

Offline Spak-Spang

• The Frightened Fox
  • Score: 39
    • View Profile
    • MirandaNew.com
« Reply #3778 on: February 21, 2019, 05:56:36 PM »
I suspect whatever level of mature content rating Agents of SHIELD is rocking right now would be a pretty good indication of where any new Disney Marvel TV show would land.

AoS gets a little dark at times. if D+ is ok with that, then they can get away with enough to effectively get across whatever type of point they are trying to w/o getting too graphic.

This is really my point.  I think it is quite possible to show convey story elements without being too graphic. 

Offline Shorty McNostril

• View Profile
« Reply #3781 on: February 23, 2019, 10:14:12 PM »
Not watching any more Cap Marvel stuff.  I've seen what I need to.  I'm as excited as I can possibly be.  I want to see everything in the full movie now.

I'm at that point with Endgame already.  Though I will be watching the last trailer released for that (which is hopefully completely fake).

Offline BranDonk Kong

• Eat your f'ing cat!
  • Score: 10131
    • View Profile
« Reply #3782 on: February 23, 2019, 11:37:17 PM »
They're real short clips...looks great!
I think it says on the box, 'No Hispanics' " - Jeff Green of EA

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• View Profile
« Reply #3783 on: February 24, 2019, 12:20:02 AM »
I didn't watch any of the vids, and I've been avoiding posting tons of pics. I'm trying to consume as little about Capt. Marvel and Endgame as possible.

Capt Marvel tix bought over a month ago, Endgame will also be Day1.
no need to spoil the eperience by being familiar with things that will happen in the movie.
I'm trying to go in as blind as possible w/o doing a complete media blackout, but still keeping you all informed of what's going on as I go.

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• View Profile
« Reply #3784 on: February 26, 2019, 11:48:37 AM »
new tv spot for Cap'n Mar'vell
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iYm12zOwtWw

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• View Profile
« Reply #3785 on: March 02, 2019, 12:22:55 AM »
More Cap'n Mar'vell
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YDncY_kxsII

edit:
and this is nuts....
https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2019-02-27/still-super-avengers-is-forecast-to-set-box-office-record
Avengers: Endgame projected to break the Opening Weekend Record.... currently held by Infinity War

« Last Edit: March 02, 2019, 12:27:14 AM by BlackNMild2k1 »

Offline oohhboy

• Forum Friend or Foe?
  • Score: 38
    • View Profile
« Reply #3786 on: March 02, 2019, 01:29:26 AM »
I used https://www.usinflationcalculator.com/ to calculate a comparison to Star Wars 1977 box office to Endgame projected....

Star Wars already clowns Endgame with $461m in 1977 $. Including international - $775.4 m. US Inflation factored in...

$1,914,838,811 US only. ****. $3,219,089,108 total HOLY **** ****. Then you had the endless toys....
I'm Lacus. I'm fine as Lacus!
Pffh. Toilet paper? What do you think cats are for?

Offline oohhboy

• Forum Friend or Foe?
    • View Profile
« Reply #3787 on: March 02, 2019, 01:37:15 AM »
It's not quite apples to apples, it's more Rose apple to red delicious but even with fudging Endgame still gets murked. For more context SW was made with $11m cost over runs included. It has an ROI of 70.5. End game at say 2 Billion gives a ROI of 8, 10 if a bit more generous.

All numbers being gross, not take home.

Offline BranDonk Kong

• Eat your f'ing cat!
  • Score: 10131
    • View Profile
« Reply #3788 on: March 02, 2019, 10:34:39 AM »
I don't know what metrics should be used, but I don't think inflation is the most accurate way to compare movies from 40 years ago to movies today, when it comes to box office.
I think it says on the box, 'No Hispanics' " - Jeff Green of EA

Offline UncleBob

• (PATRON)
  • NWR Junior Ranger
  • Score: 98
    • View Profile
« Reply #3789 on: March 02, 2019, 11:04:21 AM »
Yeah, I don't think it's reasonably fair to compare a pre-80s movie to a modern one.

Home Movie was /just/ becoming a thing at the time.  VHS was released in 76/77 (Beta beat it to the punch in 75), but it was so expensive (and buying movies was... ouch.  and rental stores weren't really a thing then) that it doesn't really become a considerstion until the early 80s at best.

So, pre-80s, your option to see a movie was to see it in the theater or wait and pray for it to be shown on TV (and hope you were home for it).

Now, you can download (illegal, varying quality) movies they day they are released in theaters (sometimes before) from the internet.  You can wait 3-6 months and buy it on DVD or BluRay and watch it from the comfort of your own home.  You can legally stream it from dozens of sources in months.

I don't know what metric one can use to really guage how successful a movie is versus one from forty years ago, but I just don't think pure box office numbers (adjusted or not) is a fair comparison.
Just some random guy on the internet who has a different opinion of games than you.

Offline broodwars

• Hunting for a Pineapple Salad
  • Score: -1011
    • View Profile
« Reply #3790 on: March 02, 2019, 11:11:09 AM »
At the same time, though, you'd also have to remove access to dozens of foreign markets to the newer films. How many of today's films would be considered a success if you took away the asian markets?

The older movies had to reach the success they did largely on domestic returns, followed by the UK & Europe.

This is what always bugged me when people were crowing about Frozen taking the "#1 Animated film" spot from The Lion King, when Lion King (as successful as it was) was also handicapped by the number of markets available to it at the time.
There was a Signature here. It's gone now.

Offline oohhboy

• Forum Friend or Foe?
    • View Profile
« Reply #3791 on: March 02, 2019, 11:13:23 AM »
You can't make any comparison if you don't adjust for inflation. Inflation is why we have more "Billion dollar" movies which sounds impressive until you put it into context.

The comparison is perfectly fair and crying boo hoo over the changes in the market misses the fact that the market is larger than ever before just from having more people and additional markets like China.

Offline nickmitch

• You can edit these yourself now?!
  • Score: 82
    • View Profile
    • FACEBOOK!
« Reply #3792 on: March 02, 2019, 02:36:05 PM »
I think we're comparing Endgame's projected first weekend to Star Wars whole box office run.

But to pile on the original difficulty of the comparison, Star Wars debuted to like 32 screens and had an 18 month original run.  Both being completely unheard of for modern releases.  EpIV also got re-release in the 90s to the tune of $130M.
« Last Edit: March 02, 2019, 02:57:41 PM by nickmitch »
TVman is dead. I killed him and took his posts.

Offline oohhboy

• Forum Friend or Foe?
    • View Profile
« Reply #3793 on: March 02, 2019, 10:29:13 PM »
I did bring in Total box office later and it isn't pretty. Endgame would need $1,914,838,811 to beat SW domestic. $3,219,089,108 Internationally. I easily expect Endgame to break 2 Billion, 2.5, but 3 Billion isn't happening.

The weird thing is if a movie had pulled in Return of the Jedi (ROI of 10) money today they wouldn't stop making sequels until the property was a bloody streak on the road. It's is so weird looking at that. They finished telling the story and that was that. It didn't even contain a sequel hook. I don't know why, but I would like to think it was because they had enough artistic integrity and foresight to stop.

Offline UncleBob

• (PATRON)
  • NWR Junior Ranger
  • Score: 98
    • View Profile
« Reply #3794 on: March 02, 2019, 11:00:38 PM »
You can't make any comparison if you don't adjust for inflation. Inflation is why we have more "Billion dollar" movies which sounds impressive until you put it into context.

The comparison is perfectly fair and crying boo hoo over the changes in the market misses the fact that the market is larger than ever before just from having more people and additional markets like China.

And that's why I wouldn't suggest the 'tickets sold' alternative that some like to use.

It's not boo hooing to discuss the reality of the situation.
Just some random guy on the internet who has a different opinion of games than you.

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• View Profile
« Reply #3795 on: March 03, 2019, 06:00:54 PM »
Now imagine the box office comparison, but how long is the SW movie you're comparing it to?

Endgame is supposed to have a 3hr runtime.
breaking the opening weekend record, with longer runtimes and therefore fewer showings in a day will have to mean more screens available, or atleast a day earlier release, and/or 24hr showings all weekend long.

Offline Plugabugz

• *continues waiting*
  • Score: 10
    • View Profile
« Reply #3796 on: March 05, 2019, 04:24:59 PM »
Captain Marvel booked for Friday. 3D showing.

Offline Shorty McNostril

• View Profile
« Reply #3797 on: March 06, 2019, 01:24:58 AM »
My showing starts in two hours :)  I am psyched as HELL!! 

Edit:

Excellent movie. Had a great time. I enjoyed seeing Phil back on the big screen far more than I thought I would. Hopefully they find a way to bring him back to the movie universe in the current timeline.  Certainly not a cinematic revolution but as always with Marvel movies it was a great ride.

And that ending. Talk about getting viewers all hyped up for Endgame. Many gasps from people all through the cinema.
« Last Edit: March 06, 2019, 02:34:47 PM by Shorty McNostril »

Offline Spak-Spang

• The Frightened Fox
  • Score: 39
    • View Profile
    • MirandaNew.com
« Reply #3798 on: March 07, 2019, 04:39:44 AM »
Shorty:  Is there a Tag scene during the Credits?  If so how many should I wait for?

Offline Shorty McNostril

• View Profile
« Reply #3799 on: March 07, 2019, 04:49:58 AM »
Two post credit scenes.

The first is mid credits and is obligatory.  If anyone near you gets up to leave, slap them and sit them back down.
The second is right at the end.  It's not critical, but it does answer a very important question you'll have by the end of the movie.