Author Topic: Tapwave Zodiac  (Read 2558 times)

Offline Cap

• Score: 0
    • View Profile
Tapwave Zodiac
« on: October 21, 2003, 10:35:04 AM »
http://pocket.ign.com/articles/455/455702p1.html

yet another contender for the gba. it seems to me that it suffers from the same problems most recent handhelds do though. 4 hour battery life and a $299(or $399) price tag doesnt seem too appealing to me. not only that, but they are going to split their own market by offering two versions of the system, one with 32mb of ram and one with 128mb of ram(the $399 version).

i dont know. it seems to me that if companies like nokia and this one were serious about competing with nintendo they would create a games only version of their hardware, as well as the versions with all the extras. as is, i dont see either the zodiac or the n-gage being very successful.  

Offline Gup

• View Profile
RE:Tapwave Zodiac
« Reply #1 on: October 21, 2003, 11:22:54 AM »
Hopefully, it can't be as bad as N-Gage's design.  But even with a good design, developers will be just be bringing ports and the like to the system so it won't any be any much better than N-Gage is doing now.
"You can't act like your opinion on something is the way it IS."-m_c

Offline KDR_11k

• boring person
  • Score: 28
    • View Profile
RE: Tapwave Zodiac
« Reply #2 on: October 21, 2003, 10:20:55 PM »
Pah, the only non-GB handheld I plan on getting is the GP32. It might not have the best games, but it allows you to make your own ones. Hooray for opensource!

Offline Cap

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 22, 2003, 10:17:12 AM »
well the system design is definaltely better then the n-gage, but that isnt really sayng much. really though, the design of the zodiac is quite nice(the large screen size is what i like the best about it). the zodiac is actually nice enough that if the price wasnt so ridiculously high and the system had a few decent games and better battery life i would be fairly interested in it. of course, when i put it that way the system is pretty much useless to me as is. with the price that high though, it wouldnt matter what games were on the system or how long the battery lasted, i wouldnt be buying it.

as for the gp32, is that even being released in north america?

Offline KDR_11k

• boring person
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 22, 2003, 09:58:59 PM »
Nope, but it's supposed to come out in Europe next week.

Offline Termin8Anakin

• Auuuu =\
  • Score: 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 23, 2003, 01:15:45 AM »
whoa. talk about a great build-up of hype =/
Comin at ya with High Level Course Language and Violence

Offline Cap

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 23, 2003, 03:46:11 PM »

Originally posted by: KDR_11k
Nope, but it's supposed to come out in Europe next week.

if you were planning on buying one, you might be dissapointed to read this.

http://www.polygonmag.com/news/index.php?id=1033

Offline KDR_11k

• boring person
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 23, 2003, 08:43:56 PM »
I know already. In response I quickly installed Elite+, International Karate and Skyroads on my 386 "laptop" (it weighs 7 kg...).

Offline Fammy2000

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 31, 2003, 07:30:03 AM »

Originally posted by: KDR_11k
Pah, the only non-GB handheld I plan on getting is the GP32. It might not have the best games, but it allows you to make your own ones. Hooray for opensource!

Zodiac/Palm development is free.
My sig beat up your honor roll sig.

Offline KDR_11k

• boring person
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 31, 2003, 07:49:59 AM »
Yeah, but the GP32 is said to have 10 hours of battery life compared to the Zodiac's 4 hours.