Author Topic: Zelda: Wind Waker was it a let down?  (Read 42652 times)

Zelda: Wind Waker was it a let down?
« on: September 28, 2003, 02:48:27 PM »
Now many of you Zelda fans would've seen his epic adventures  on Nintendo64, Super Nintendo Entertainment System, GameBoy Colour, GamebOY (black + white) and Nintendo Entertainment System. How does the GameCube version hold up compared to a few of these? Sure its great! But is it as great as Zelda: Ocarina Of Time or Majora's Mask? In my opinion I think its on par with them.

As my favourite Zelda game was on SNES, Zelda: A Link To The Past due to the amazing gameplay. A Link To The Past drew the players into it, and so does Wind Waker, and every other Zelda game. Wind Waker draws its audience in, but doesnt hold it. The Wind Waker brought me into it through the graphics, emotion and sounds, but it seems a little easy. Its a brilliant game but isnt as hard and long as Ocarina Of Time. Thats the only problem with Wind Waker. There also is the constant repeatitive boating you have to do which gets annoying!!

The graphics are awesome! Sound is sweet! Story Line is Great and  Gameplay is truely amazing!

Wind Waker is one of those games which point out from the rest, just like Ocarina Of Time.

This game is amazing, your mad if you dont play it, though I dont see it as a game to purchase as it took me 3 days to complete.
/-\rcadian-Xla\/e

Offline mouse_clicker

• Pod 6 is jerks!
  • Score: 3
    • View Profile
RE: Zelda: Wind Waker was it a let down?
« Reply #1 on: September 28, 2003, 02:59:33 PM »
HELL no it wasn't a let down- it's one of my favorite games ever! I still like a few other Zelda games a bit more, namely Ocarina of Time, but Wind Waker was in NO way imaginable a let down. It should be blasphemous to even think such thoughts!
"You know you're being too serious when Mouse tells you to lighten up... ^_^"<BR>-Bill

RE:Zelda: Wind Waker was it a let down?
« Reply #2 on: September 28, 2003, 03:23:22 PM »
Iit was sure great! But I wasnt expecting to finish it in 3 days!! Ocarina Of Time took me like a month to complete! I just feel they couldve made it a little harder. Apart from that its a A+ game but compared to Ocarina, I know which one id choose (Ocarina Of Time)
/-\rcadian-Xla\/e

Offline mouse_clicker

• Pod 6 is jerks!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 28, 2003, 03:45:38 PM »
True, it was on the easy side- a few more dungeons and increasing the amount of damage done would have cleared that up quite nicely. Hopefully they fix that in Wind Waker 2.
"You know you're being too serious when Mouse tells you to lighten up... ^_^"<BR>-Bill

Offline Bill Aurion

• NWR Forum Loli
  • Score: 34
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 28, 2003, 03:52:25 PM »
Well if you took the time to collect everything in the game, then it would take you longer.  The length was perfect for me, though I wish they hadn't taken out the Jabun level...
~Former Resident Zelda Aficionado and Nintendo Fan~

Offline Grey Ninja

• Retired Forum Drunk
  • Score: 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 28, 2003, 04:23:03 PM »
Legend of Zelda: The Wind Waker is my favorite game of all time.  The other Zelda games aren't even in my top 5.  I think that about sums up my feelings on this matter.
Once I had, a little game
I liked to crawl back into my brain
I think you know the game I mean

Offline Grey Ninja

• Retired Forum Drunk
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 28, 2003, 04:24:04 PM »
Legend of Zelda: The Wind Waker is my favorite game of all time.  The other Zelda games aren't even in my top 5.  I think that about sums up my feelings on this matter.
Once I had, a little game
I liked to crawl back into my brain
I think you know the game I mean

Offline mouse_clicker

• Pod 6 is jerks!
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 28, 2003, 05:18:28 PM »
Bill: I'm talking about the main quest- Ocarina of Time was really long, too, if you collected everthing, but it's main quest was much longer than Wind Waker's.

I have to disagree with you there, Ninja. My 4 favorite game ever is Ocarina of Time, followed by Majora's Mask, then A Link to the Past, and finally Wind Waker.

Offline Bill Aurion

• NWR Forum Loli
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 28, 2003, 05:42:45 PM »
My reply was for /-\

And you are both wrong...It's LttP, WW, OoT, Link's Awakening! hehe...^_^

« Reply #9 on: September 28, 2003, 08:14:27 PM »
Oh. Yer I guessive tried to do most of it but I cant be bothered lol id prefer to start on a new game one i havent played coz it will take ages to get EVERYTHING lol
/-\rcadian-Xla\/e

Offline Gup

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 29, 2003, 03:20:58 AM »

Legend of Zelda: The Wind Waker is my favorite game of all time.
"You can't act like your opinion on something is the way it IS."-m_c

« Reply #11 on: September 30, 2003, 12:41:01 AM »
Wind Waker would be one of my favourites. I dont think any of the zelda's would be in my top 5 maybe Ocarina Of Time and Wind Waker.

My Top 5 would be:
1. Harvest Moon (SNES)
2. Phantasy Star Online EPS 1 + 2 (GameCube)
3. Banjo-Kazooie (GameCube) - Mario Kart 64 (N64) (TIED!!)
4. Zelda: A Link To The Past (SNES)
5. Zelda: Ocarina Of Time (N64)

Games im looking forward to:
Mario Kart Double Dash
Zelda (any new title for GameCube or GameCube 2)
Animal Crossing (believe it or not it STILL hasnt been released in Australia after a lot of rumors it has been confirmed!!)
Harvest Moon: A Wonderful Life

Yer so this is a Zelda forum right here so I will get back to the subject LOL!!

Whats Tetra's Trackers going to be like? Its not a full on Zelda adventure is it? Everyones been saying its like a multi player zelda where you go searching for treasure doesnt sound too cool to me!!
/-\rcadian-Xla\/e

Offline Bill Aurion

• NWR Forum Loli
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 30, 2003, 06:54:22 PM »
Top 5 Favorite games
1) Link to the Past
2) Wind Waker
3) Gunstar Heroes
4) Banjo-Kazooie
5) Super Mario RPG

(You had a little typo for Banjo-Kazooie...I wish it were true though )

Offline Ocarina Blue

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 30, 2003, 08:13:49 PM »
        In my opinion, sort of. I'm not ranting against the graphics or anything; it just doesn't suit my personal preferences. OoT and MM were often criticized for having a lack of exploration. I understand this, it wasn't the same as LoZ or ALttP, but I spent much more time exploring in OoT and MM than in WW. OoT has people, many people. They give subtle hints, give information about the world, and produce a much richer sense of atmosphere than LoZ or ALttP give. There is character development, and there are many things to collect. But is exploring for quests really different then looking for a new lake? I like MM a lot more than most other people seem to, I have never seen a game before that has had stories as good as MM has, I actually wanted to see what was happening to characters. I may not have found a lake, but I spent more time exploring in OoT and MM than any other games.

I find none of this in WW. I haven't found a lake, and there is only one town I feel that is big enough to explore. The only thing to find at sea that you aren't forced to find (that you could 'explore' for) is heart pieces. The gallery is too loose to have to explore for the photos, it only takes a lot of time and hassle to only have three spaces, then having to warp, then having to play the song six times for three trophies. Heart pieces over a map 49 times the size of Hyrule field. Most of the time the islands have little significance, and are irrelevant. The treasure maps only lead to some rupees, which I never need, or heart pieces, and if I have already found the treasure maps, then there is no exploration involved in getting the heart pieces. Sailing over nothing I do not find interesting, and especially not nothing 49 times the size of Hyrule field. I love Windfall island, because it feels like there is something to find, but I can't say I love sailing.

There are other things that I dislike about WW. The wind waker itself I don’t like. You can’t play around with it, and it doesn’t seem like you’re playing a song with it. The ocarina was perfect, I felt, I can’t understand why they choose the wind waker over the ocarina. There were too few dungeons, in my mind as well. I still like WW, but in my mind, it doesn’t live up to the other games in the series.

These are my favourite 5 games.
1) Majora’s Mask*
2) Ocarina of Time
3) Chrono Trigger
4) Super Mario 64
5) A Link to the Past

Tetra’s Trackers is going to be a puzzle game – a franchise game. I hope Zelda doesn’t tun into a franchise like Mario does.
*As I said before, I like MM more than most people, but that's another story.
Om mani padme hum.

Offline KnowsNothing

• Babycakes
  • Score: 11
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: October 02, 2003, 11:33:02 AM »
I agree with everything you just said, Blue, except MM being the best.  
BUT WW=no let down becuase despite all the flaws we've been mentioning, the graphics, music, sound, story, and gameplay are the games strong points, which outweigh the bad by ALOT.  Besides the final battle kick serious butt.

Top 5 games that I've played (slection is limited)
OoT
Super Mario 64
Link's Awakening
WW
The fifth one is a tie between, like, everything.

I have most certainly forgotten some awesome game so the list will almost defidently change.

Best Zelda games:
OoT
LA
WW
ALttP
MM
Oracle of Ages

(those are all the Zelda's I've played).

The End.
kka wakka wakka wakka wakka wakka wakka wa

Offline Berny

• Seriously.
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: October 08, 2003, 05:44:01 PM »
It would be redundant for me to again repeat what everyone has already said again so I won't. But WW is in my top 3 games, and in my opinion, is the best Zelda game in existance. Contrary to what others might say, I believe that it was indeed more like its old skewl predecessors than even OOT. Not as hard as say ALTTP, but it is still the best. I hope WW2 comes out soon by which I mean w/in the next year. They have the engine already so it shouldn't take so long.
has 6 gmail invites. wants to rid himself of them. email for gmail.

« Reply #16 on: October 09, 2003, 04:47:05 AM »
I couldn't agree with you more. The Wind Waker is my all-time favourite game too. It just has that special feel to it. The graphics are amazing (definitly not kiddy, cel-shaded Link is cool!) and so is the sound, the gameplay is excellent too. I enjoy exploring the huge map and doing all the side-quests and finding all the secrets, which makes up for the slightly easy main quest. I found the story more original than Ocarina's, more spectacular too.

The Wind Waker was the first Zelda game I finished (lame, I know), and I found it quite hard sometimes. It turned me into a Zelda-fan, in fact, I bought my GameCube for this game! After walking around on Outset Island for 5 minutes I just knew I had to have it!

Conclusion: Wind Waker rocks!  
Now playing:
Soul Calibur 2
Ocarina of Time

Offline The Omen

• Forum Fascist
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: October 10, 2003, 11:03:28 AM »
I guess no one likes the first 'The legend of Zelda'?  I put that behind ALTTP and OOT, but before WW and MM.  I even like Zelda ll:TAOL.  I guess what i'm saying is every Zelda i've played has been great
"If a man comes to the door of poetry untouched by the madness of the muses, believing that technique alone will make him a great poet, he and his sane compositions never reach perfection, but are utterly eclipsed by the inspired madman." Socrates

Offline Pepsolman

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: October 13, 2003, 08:27:15 AM »
Anygame taken out of it's origin and success has a high chance for a let-down. Zelda is a game that was suppose to be taken seriously. I can't take a game like Wind Waker seriously. A game like River City Ransom would have more of a chance with a style Wind Waker took on. The antics just aren't what I want from a Zelda game. I get more out of Seasons or Ages... which are both Gameboy games.

Sometimes old school is better than New Age. Same goes for the new Gamecube Metroid. I get more out of Metroid Fusion... it's something I feel more relative to.  

Offline Hostile Creation

• Hydra-Wata
  • Score: 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: October 13, 2003, 10:34:36 AM »
Wind Waker is among my favorite games ever. . . and it has to be tied with Link's Awakening for my favorite Zelda game ever.

I don't perceive the Zelda games as necessarily being completely serious, but they are far from silly.  And for me, the parts that were suppose to be taken seriously were, by me, taken seriously.  The graphics seemed to blend perfectly with the serious parts of the plot.
HC: Honourary Aussie<BR>Originally posted by: ThePerm<BR>
YOUR IWATA AVATAR LOOKS LIKE A REAL HOSTILE CREATION!!!!!<BR><BR>only someone with leoperd print sheets could produce such an image!!!<BR>

Offline robofish

• View Profile
« Reply #20 on: October 23, 2003, 04:50:44 PM »
Honestly, I couldn't stand Majora's Mask.  Maybe I didn't give it a chance worthy of itself, but the whole mask thing affecting the gameplay so much really put me off.  My fave Zelda game is, by a long shot, Link to the Past.  That game is so long and enjoyable every bit of the way.  Ocarina of Time would be me second fave Zelda game.  I never owned a 64, so I jumped at the opportunity to get the bonus disc by preordering Wind Waker.  I just started playing it last week actually, when I was sick and I didn't have anything else to do.  I love that game!  Now of course, WW is my 3rd in line, but that by no means makes it a bad game.  I was skeptical, sure, but I gave it a chance and loved it!  

PS-- I still haven't beaten the leaf minigame in WW.  There is that one long island with a few of those bird people (I forgot what they are called... I need to play that game again!).  You junp off the edge and use the leaf, you are supposed to try to make it through a gate at the end, using the whirlwind things to lift you up.  I always get like 2 feet from being through the gate, then my magic runs out.  Advice is welcome.  Thanks
Avatar courtesy of http://www.darthfergie.com

"I want make change world melody.  Keep on singing, it's my goal in life.  I want make change world melody, don't need anymore string of f***ing lie."  - Mongol 800

Offline KnowsNothing

• Babycakes
  • Score: 11
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: October 23, 2003, 04:58:27 PM »
it wasn't the mask thing that turned me off from MM, I actually loved the masks.  it's just that it was a zelda game that was timed.  I needed more time!

BTW, is the latest zelda bonus disk (the one w/MM) only available if you buy the system?  if it is I will kick Nintendo in the face.
kka wakka wakka wakka wakka wakka wakka wa

Offline Bill Aurion

• NWR Forum Loli
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: October 23, 2003, 04:58:39 PM »
Yeah, that was a toughie...I really can't remember what I did, but I think you need to skip the first tornado that is nearest you to save magic power...Just keep trying and try to stay not to go off the straight line towards the finish too much...I crossed the finish line falling, due to me having no magic left

Offline robofish

• View Profile
« Reply #23 on: October 23, 2003, 05:05:43 PM »
Thanks Bill.
Avatar courtesy of http://www.darthfergie.com

"I want make change world melody.  Keep on singing, it's my goal in life.  I want make change world melody, don't need anymore string of f***ing lie."  - Mongol 800

Offline Myxtika1 Azn

• The Master of the Fists
  • Score: 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: October 25, 2003, 12:00:01 PM »
Here's how I beat the Leaf mini-game.  

- Make sure you have your magic upgraded.
- Try to use all of the tornados.
- Once you jump off from the ledge, use Tingle to give you more magic. Right when he finishes, have him do it again.  You should only need to use him to help out twice.

Hope that helps.
500 years ago, I shook the Pillars of Heaven.  Why should I fear a runt like you?