Author Topic: This Week's Virtual Console and WiiWare  (Read 4173 times)

Offline Kairon

• T_T
  • NWR Staff Pro
  • Score: 48
    • View Profile
This Week's Virtual Console and WiiWare
« on: October 13, 2008, 02:38:40 PM »
With World of Goo and Art Style: CUBELLO on WiiWare, and Secret of Mana and Street Fighter II: Special Champion Edition on Virtual Console, this is a good week for Wii Channel Shoppers.
 http://www.nintendoworldreport.com/newsArt.cfm?artid=16977

Wii gamers this week will wake up to an exciting prospect. Not only has World of Goo, a highly anticipated WiiWare game, finally made its appearance, but Square Enix has released the SNES classic Secret of Mana for retro fans. Nintendo has also released its second "Art Style" brand game, CUBELLO, and the Virtual Console is also receiving another special edition of one of the defining games of the 16-bit era, Street Fighter.    

World of Goo was a major highlight at the Nintendo Spring Media Summit this year, and now that it’s shoe-string-budget developers 2DBoy are hoping that their "award-winning, physics-based puzzle/construction game" will captivate Wii gamers. The game’s world is full of curious Goo Balls which players grab and connect to each other in order to build structures that bridge gaps, float in the air, or even resemble giant tongues. At the end of each level, the Goo Balls get one step closer to discovering what the mysterious World of Goo Corporation is all about.    

Nintendo’s Art Style: CUBELLO follows the release of Art Style: ORBIENT two weeks ago, setting up the Art Style brand as Nintendo’s own WiiWare-sized series of games. CUBELLO itself is part puzzler and part shooter. At the beginning of a level multi-colored cubes fly together to form a floating and rotating "Cubello," and it’s up to the player to fire their own multi-colored cubes at it and combine four cubes of the same color to eventually expose the Cubello’s core.    

On the Virtual Console side of things, Square Enix has released their Super Nintendo classic Secret of Mana. This action-RPG title from 1993 offers an epic adventure for up to three players simultaneously. The Mana Tree maintains the balance between evil and good, but when that balance is upset the game’s young heroes must embark on a journey that spans their entire world. They’ll meet with dragons, magic, magical weapons, and friends in their quest to restore that balance.    

Rounding out this week’s offering is Street Fighter: Special Champion Edition, originally from the Sega Genesis. This version of Capcom’s legendary fighting game includes both the Hyper and Champion rulesets, and also features a then-exclusive Group Battle mode that has since become a staple feature of later games. This edition of Street Fighter offers a roster of 12 classic characters for play in single-player mode, or against a friendly opponent.    

WII-KLY UPDATE: TWO WIIWARE GAMES AND TWO VIRTUAL CONSOLE GAMES ADDED TO WII SHOP CHANNEL    

Oct. 13, 2008

Armchair physicists rejoice! The hotly anticipated award-winning World of Goo™ makes its WiiWare™ debut this week, inviting players to build infinitely fascinating structures out of Goo and uncover the mystery behind the World of Goo Corporation. Other cool additions to the Wii Shop Channel™ this week include Art Style™: CUBELLO™, the second installment in Nintendo's Art Style series, and a pair of classics for the Virtual Console™: SECRET OF MANA™ and STREET FIGHTER™ II': SPECIAL CHAMPION EDITION. Fun offerings like these are sure to heat up your October, no matter how low the autumn temperatures may go.    

Nintendo adds new and classic games to the Wii Shop Channel at 9 a.m. Pacific time every Monday. Wii™ owners with a high-speed Internet connection can redeem Wii Points™ to download the games. Wii Points can be purchased in the Wii Shop Channel or at retail outlets. This week's new games are:    

WiiWare    

World of Goo (2D Boy, 1-4 players, Rated E for Everyone—Comic Mischief, 1,500 Wii Points): World of Goo is an award-winning, physics-based puzzle/construction game made entirely by two guys. Grab living, squirming, talking globs of goo to build structures, bridges, cannonballs, zeppelins and giant tongues. The millions of Goo Balls that live in the beautiful World of Goo are curious to explore—but they don't know that they are in a game, or that they are extremely delicious. World of Goo Corporation is contractually obligated to state that everyone is a winner, and is enthusiastic to celebrate everyone's Goo building opportunities equally.    

Art Style: CUBELLO (Nintendo, 1 player, Rated E for Everyone, 600 Wii Points): Art Style: CUBELLO mixes the strategy and feel of a traditional puzzle game with the precision and reflexes required in a shooter. As each stage begins, various colored cubes form into one large object called a Cubello, which floats and rotates as you play. Launch additional cubes from your magazine and try to connect four or more of the same color, removing them from the Cubello and eventually leaving only its core. Take on the challenge of either Stage or Endless mode and watch what happens when Bonus Time is activated. The straightforward controls and goal ensure that anyone can play, while offering enough depth that even advanced players will find themselves quickly addicted to the unique world of Art Style: CUBELLO.    

Virtual Console    

SECRET OF MANA (Super NES™, 1-3 players, Rated E10+ for Everyone 10 and Older—Mild Fantasy Violence, Mild Suggestive Themes, 800 Wii Points): Good and evil battle for a young warrior's heart. There is one force in the universe that keeps good and evil in perfect balance. It is called the tree of Mana. But a magic sword has tricked a young warrior into upsetting this balance, spreading evil throughout the land. Thus, the warrior must undertake a dangerous journey to find the seeds of the Mana tree, which have been hidden for centuries. Only then can perfect harmony be restored. In this incredible adventure, things are not as they seem. Magic swords release evil as well as fight it. Treasure chests hold booby traps. Monsters are friends and friends are enemies. Potions give power, black magic takes it away. Dragons fly, weapons change. It's a world turned upside down that you must help the warrior make right. And the only way to succeed is to solve the Secret of Mana.    

STREET FIGHTER II': SPECIAL CHAMPION EDITION (Sega Genesis, 1-2 players, Rated T for Teen—Violence, 800 Wii Points): STREET FIGHTER II': SPECIAL CHAMPION EDITION was the first STREET FIGHTER game released for the Sega Genesis console. The STREET FIGHTER series can be considered one of the first fighting games to popularize competitive video game fighting. This version of the game contains both the CHAMPION and HYPER rule sets, from the two editions released in the arcades. It also introduced an exclusive Group Battle mode that is now a general feature in most fighting games. Play as one of 12 different characters, each with their own distinctive fighting style. Try single-player mode or challenge a friend in this legendary, classic fighting game.    

For more information about Wii, please visit wii.com.

Carmine Red, Associate Editor

A glooming peace this morning with it brings;
The sun, for sorrow, will not show his head:
Go hence, to have more talk of these sad things;
Some shall be pardon'd, and some punished:
For never was a story of more woe
Than this of Sega and her Mashiro.

Offline NWR_Neal

• NWR Staff Pro
  • Score: 27
    • View Profile
Re: This Week's Virtual Console and WiiWare
« Reply #1 on: October 13, 2008, 01:45:41 PM »
I think I might be alone in this, but I don't really like Secret of Mana. That style of RPG was always very hit or miss with me and the overabundance of the term "mana" in SoM always annoyed me. "You have to save the mana tree by using your mana! MANA! manamanamanamana!" I'm not complaining too much because this is one of those great values for $8 and even with my mild distaste for it, it's still well worth the purchase.

That being said, I really want to buy World of Goo but I didn't think it would be $15. I'm sure its bloody brilliant, but I'll wait to see what everyone else says.

And finally the Street Fighter game that I played into the ground as a kid!
Neal Ronaghan
Director, NWR

"Fungah! Foiled again!"

Offline BeautifulShy

• Shifting my body across the galaxy
  • Score: 79
    • View Profile
    • My streaming page.
« Reply #2 on: October 13, 2008, 01:50:38 PM »
I am going to get Secret of mana.I only have 800 points left after getting Megaman 9 and protoman.So this is perfect.I didn't play this when I was younger, but I recall the "Day of Mana" feature that NP did back in the day.That feature made made me want to get the game.I hope Illusion of Gaia comes out soon.I will get world of goo when I get more wii points.
Maxi is dead. I killed him and took his posts and changed genders.
Alexis, she/her/Miss

Quote by Khushrenada in Safe Words 15.
I'm happy with thinking pokepal148 is just eating a stick of butter. It seems about right for him. I don't need no stinking facts.

Offline vudu

• You'd probably all be better off if I really were dead.
  • NWR Junior Ranger
  • Score: -19
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 13, 2008, 02:03:18 PM »
That being said, I really want to buy World of Goo but I didn't think it would be $15. I'm sure its bloody brilliant, but I'll wait to see what everyone else says.

It's $20 on Steam.  We're getting a deal!
Why must all things be so bright? Why can things not appear only in hues of brown! I am so serious about this! Dull colors are the future! The next generation! I will never accept a world with such bright colors! It is far too childish! I will rage against your cheery palette with my last breath!

Offline NWR_Neal

• NWR Staff Pro
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 13, 2008, 03:02:27 PM »
I hope Illusion of Gaia comes out soon.

It's funny because I didn't like Secret of Mana, but I really liked Illusion of Gaia.
Neal Ronaghan
Director, NWR

"Fungah! Foiled again!"

Offline BeautifulShy

• View Profile
    • My streaming page.
« Reply #5 on: October 13, 2008, 03:16:05 PM »
Why did you like Gaia more than Mana?
Alexis, she/her/Miss

I'm happy with thinking pokepal148 is just eating a stick of butter. It seems about right for him. I don't need no stinking facts.

Offline NinGurl69 *huggles

• HI I'M CRAZY
  • Score: 28
    • View Profile
    • Six Sided Video
« Reply #6 on: October 13, 2008, 03:21:30 PM »
Mana encouraged co-op, which was a great alternative time consumer amongst all the streeting fighting and mortal combating and mario karting.
:: Six Sided Video .com ~ Pietriots.com ::
PRO IS SERIOUS. GET SERIOUS.

Offline BeautifulShy

• View Profile
    • My streaming page.
« Reply #7 on: October 13, 2008, 03:28:48 PM »
I love co-op rpgs.I just wish there were more of them.The only rpgs that I can think of that had that  in recent memory are Tales of Symphonia and FFCC for the Cube.
Alexis, she/her/Miss

Offline Smoke39

• Smoking is only bad for you if you're not made of smoke already
  • Score: 3
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 13, 2008, 03:31:15 PM »
I hope Illusion of Gaia comes out soon.
They have to release Soul Blazer first! o:
GOREGASM!

Offline NWR_Neal

• NWR Staff Pro
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 13, 2008, 05:10:04 PM »
Why did you like Gaia more than Mana?

My beef with Mana has to do with the fact that the co-op wasn't there at the outset. I got it and sat down to play it with three friends and it took too long to get all of us involved.
Neal Ronaghan
Director, NWR

"Fungah! Foiled again!"

• HI I'M CRAZY
    • View Profile
    • Six Sided Video
« Reply #10 on: October 13, 2008, 06:49:18 PM »
You said something different earlier.  Make up yer mind!

Offline NWR_Neal

• NWR Staff Pro
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 13, 2008, 07:04:30 PM »
Yea, but I didn't contradict what I said before.
Neal Ronaghan
Director, NWR

"Fungah! Foiled again!"

Offline Tansunn

• Score: 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 13, 2008, 07:56:48 PM »
Secret of Mana?  HELL YES!
Street Fighter 2?  Why do we need a FOURTH one?  Seriously.  Four Street Fighter 2s. 

Offline GoldenPhoenix

• Now it's a party!
  • Score: 42
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 13, 2008, 08:00:03 PM »
What a great week. I know I'm getting World of Goo and probably Secret of Mana since I have NEVER played it.

Does anyone know if Cubello is any good? The last game, Orbits (I think that is the name) was a great experience.
Switch Friend Code: SW-4185-3173-1144

Offline vudu

• You'd probably all be better off if I really were dead.
  • NWR Junior Ranger
  • Score: -19
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: October 13, 2008, 08:03:34 PM »

My initial impressions.

Spoiler Alert:  It's awesome.  ;D
Why must all things be so bright? Why can things not appear only in hues of brown! I am so serious about this! Dull colors are the future! The next generation! I will never accept a world with such bright colors! It is far too childish! I will rage against your cheery palette with my last breath!

Offline Caliban

• In Space As Always
  • Score: 32
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: October 13, 2008, 08:33:37 PM »
Does anyone know if Cubello is any good? The last game, Orbits (I think that is the name) was a great experience.

I had a good, confusing post for you, but accidents happen... I recommend you watch some videos of someone playing the game so you can see for yourself.

Offline Jonnyboy117

• Associate Editor
  • NWR Staff
  • Score: 37
    • View Profile
    • Nintendo World Report
« Reply #16 on: October 13, 2008, 09:00:28 PM »
So far, I like Cubello, but it's not transcendent like Orbient.  It's a very simple block-matching puzzle game where a lot of the challenge is in managing the camera, since... you can't actually control it.  The cluster of blocks just rotates on its own, and whenever you shoot a block at it (to create a match), it abruptly swings around 180 degrees.  Without the constantly moving play field, it would be incredibly easy.  So far, my favorite thing is the computer voice, which sounds sort of like Stephen Hawking's computer, or a male version of GlaDOS.  I couldn't believe it when he read the entire tutorial out loud.
THE LAMB IS WATCHING!

• HI I'M CRAZY
    • View Profile
    • Six Sided Video
« Reply #17 on: October 27, 2008, 12:58:34 PM »
Started playing Secret of Mana with a friend (my 3rd play thru?).

Good way to consume weekends before Tales gets here.