Author Topic: Episode 769: Hangin' and Bangin'  (Read 1530 times)

Offline NWR_Lindy

• Famous Rapper
  • NWR Staff Pro
  • Score: 14
    • View Profile
Episode 769: Hangin' and Bangin'
« on: May 01, 2022, 08:43:36 PM »

Just imagine this episode title is in a script font, on the back window of a station wagon.

http://www.nintendoworldreport.com/rfn/60326/episode-769-hangin-and-bangin

Greg is out this week for the NFL draft, and so Guillaume, Jon, and James have a very mature show for adults.

Jon gets to start New Business with Sonic the Hedgehog Spinball, a recent addition to the Nintendo Switch Online Expansion Pack. This pinball-inspired spinoff was the product of a two month development cycle, but all we can think about are high scores and speed-runs. Gui and James are both playing Tunic, now on Xbox and PC. With inspirations ranging from the first Legend of Zelda to Fez to Dark Souls, it's catching a lot of attention. Gui is having a lot more fun than James, but that might be because he's actually playing the game like a normal person. James also gives his final thoughts on Chinatown Detective Agency.

After the break we take on a duo of listener mail. This week we expansions pack Switch Sports and try to define nebulous terms like "game preservation." You can preserve our wisdom by sending us an email.

Jon Lindemann
Contributing Editor, Nintendo World Report

My Game Backlog

Offline Lemonade

• A True Gaming Hero
  • Score: 14
    • View Profile
Re: Episode 769: Hangin' and Bangin'
« Reply #1 on: May 02, 2022, 01:30:50 AM »
Peach scented lubricant with a picture of Peach on the bottle. Thats what popped into my head during that segment.

Offline KDR_11k

• boring person
  • Score: 28
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 02, 2022, 08:35:17 AM »
Don't bother trying to translate the language in Tunic, it's not necessary and the language isn't a simple letter substitution. It's designed around phonemes so it's essentially like Hiragana for English.

Offline willmcdono

• Score: 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 06, 2022, 06:47:11 PM »
Bravo to Gui for his outlandish contribution to listener mail, loved it. Nintendo could repurpose more leg straps by inserting them into beer coozies allowing us to enjoy a couple cold ones while playing Nintendo's newest Switch Sport disc sport: CanJam.
 John, thank you so much for talking Sonic Spinball. I played it ton as kid, never got past the 2nd or 3rd stage. Can't wait to push through with save states. Definitely worth checking out, hard to believe it had such a short development cycle.
 James give us more thoughts about the balancing of Tunic as you progress. The opacity plays an enormous part. I haven't finished my first play through but the secrets-in-plain-sight makes me interested to see how it works the second time through. Really hoping for some speedrunners to have a go.

Offline nickmitch

• You can edit these yourself now?!
  • Score: 82
    • View Profile
    • FACEBOOK!
« Reply #4 on: May 13, 2022, 01:07:59 PM »
I was driving around Baton Rouge when James made that comment.
TVman is dead. I killed him and took his posts.