Gaming Forums > Nintendo Gaming

Metroid Dread

<< < (14/16) > >>

Plugabugz:
I've only just started it last night and while my opinions haven't come together i'm with nickmitch with the bad aiming,  but i'm wondering if its the game or not. On my pro controller, if you try to aim and don't push the stick as far as possible in each direction it treats each direction as almost 90 degree angles so you end up aiming directly at the ceiling, straight down or straight left or right instead.

nickmitch:
I've found that I'm often thinking about the controls a bit too much.  For some reason, I have to remember which shoulder buttons do what and keep track of which ones I'm holding in case I need to aim, and then move.  This is almost certainly a "me problem", however.  There are shortcomings with the controls though.  It's like the game wants Samus to be agile and quick-moving but she's still grounded in that more tanky style from Super Metroid.

Plugabugz:

--- Quote from: nickmitch on October 11, 2021, 01:27:49 PM ---I've found that I'm often thinking about the controls a bit too much.  For some reason, I have to remember which shoulder buttons do what and keep track of which ones I'm holding in case I need to aim, and then move.  This is almost certainly a "me problem", however.  There are shortcomings with the controls though.  It's like the game wants Samus to be agile and quick-moving but she's still grounded in that more tanky style from Super Metroid.

--- End quote ---

I have the exact same "me problem" as this, except I think it gives me more Other M styles of bringing momentum to a juddering halt (fortunately not as extreme!).

Also, i somehow managed to sequence break, but not the good kind, myself into a corner. I managed to travel to the world after Cataris without any upgrades, but couldnt go back as i was stuck behind a thermal door forcing a load of my last save. Well done me!

Khushrenada:

--- Quote from: Adrock on October 10, 2021, 12:24:43 AM ---It's possible Gamestop was flooded with Metroid Prime 3: Corruption because people traded up for Metroid Prime Trilogy. And Metroid: Other M is well, Metroid: Other M. It may behoove you to see how many copies of Metroid: Samus Returns you see in the used games section as it may give you a better idea of what to expect if your intention is to pick up Metroid Dread for less.

--- End quote ---

I'm pretty sure MP3 was already a big selection before the Trilogy release. It along with Battalion Wars 2 seemed to have a lot of stock in the used games section from 2007 and on for awhile.

Samus Returns 3DS would seem like a more relevant way to judge this but it released at a weird time. It was almost the last big 3DS sales success after the Switch released. There were a lot of games traded in before when the Switch first came out but there seemed to be less trade-ins by the time Samus Returns released. (Although Federation Force seemed to have a few copies available by this time.) The other problem was the 3DS space was already beginning to shrink to make way for Switch and in 2018 that size continued to condense even further as Wii U and 3DS stock was depleted. I'm not sure how many copies of Samus Returns were made compared to MP3 but a lot of late 3DS games are hard to come by now or find used. There may have been smaller print runs by that point. That clouds things as to what may happen with Metroid Dread.

Yet, with that said, I'll probably will pick up this game by the weekend or next week. Reading NWR's review has got me hyped for it again although I have my doubts I will be in love with it as much as John seems to be. I haven't felt the highs of the series since I dug into it in the early of the 00's playing Super Metroid, Zero Mission, Fusion Prime 1 and 2 in a short span. Part of that is likely tied to the fact there haven't been many Metroid games since that point. MP3 being the last highlight. I still found enjoyment in Other M, Fed Force and Samus Returns but all had things that detracted from the experience as well. Having gone back and replayed a lot of the Metroid games over the years as well has further caused the love to wilt a bit. Still enjoy playing them but definitely see things or notice parts where sections are more rough or kind of boring. With the mixed word of mouth I've seen about the game since its release, it makes me wonder if Dread will end up being another experience like the Metroid games of the past 15 years instead of the excitement I had on its announcement of possibly being another Zero Mission or Prime 1 type of love affair that I had with some of those earlier titles. Guess I'll just have to get a copy to find out.

nickmitch:

--- Quote from: Plugabugz on October 12, 2021, 09:28:18 AM ---
--- Quote from: nickmitch on October 11, 2021, 01:27:49 PM ---I've found that I'm often thinking about the controls a bit too much.  For some reason, I have to remember which shoulder buttons do what and keep track of which ones I'm holding in case I need to aim, and then move.  This is almost certainly a "me problem", however.  There are shortcomings with the controls though.  It's like the game wants Samus to be agile and quick-moving but she's still grounded in that more tanky style from Super Metroid.

--- End quote ---

I have the exact same "me problem" as this, except I think it gives me more Other M styles of bringing momentum to a juddering halt (fortunately not as extreme!).

Also, i somehow managed to sequence break, but not the good kind, myself into a corner. I managed to travel to the world after Cataris without any upgrades, but couldnt go back as i was stuck behind a thermal door forcing a load of my last save. Well done me!

--- End quote ---

A friend of mine also managed an unintentional sequence break. He got a powerbomb upgrade before getting the powerbomb. The game did not let him use the powerbomb though.

The part where it's time to kill an EMMI is reminiscent of Other M, but at least it's not in first-person and I can anticipate it.  Those sections are pretty much "once you blast through the door, it's on" so I'm immediately prepped in my brain to do it.  I'd honestly say the switch adds a bit to the tension with killing the EMMIs.  Still, I suck at the aiming for reason.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version