Author Topic: ESRB Updates Sin And Punishment, Star Successor Ratings For Wii U  (Read 1991 times)

Offline Shaymin

• Not my circus, not my monkeys
  • NWR Staff
  • Score: 70
    • View Profile
    • You're on it

Two hardcore shooters look to be headed to North America shortly

http://www.nintendoworldreport.com/news/41033/esrb-updates-sin-and-punishment-star-successor-ratings-for-wii-u

The ESRB has updated ratings for import N64 game Sin and Punishment as well as its Wii sequel, Sin and Punishment Star Successor.

The listing indicates that the two games will release on Virtual Console soon. The original game will be eligible for upgrade pricing for those who purchased the import version on Wii, while Star Successor's online leaderboards will not be available due to their use of the now-closed Nintendo Wi-Fi Connection.

No release date has been given yet for the games, but ESRB ratings usually indicate a quick turnaround for a Virtual Console release.

Donald Theriault - News Editor, Nintendo World Report / 2016 Nintendo World Champion
Tutorial box out.

Offline Soren

• Hanging out in the Discord
  • Score: 35
    • View Profile
Re: ESRB Updates Sin And Punishment, Star Successor Ratings For Wii U
« Reply #1 on: August 25, 2015, 03:14:41 PM »
My YouTube Channel: SenerioTV

Offline Fatty The Hutt

• Zut alors!
  • Score: 34
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 25, 2015, 04:25:50 PM »
Interesting!
I never bit on the original Sin & Punishment on Wii VC but always meant to. WiiU VC has save states and Miiverse and Off-TV play, so hooray for a better VC version!
I got Star Successor for $5 a long time ago at an EB Games sell-off so I don't thik I can justify a double dip, as much as I love having great Wii games digitally to boot up whenever the mood strikes. I sure wish they would continue the "introductory price" model for those Wii games though.
Oui, Mon Gars!

Offline NWR_insanolord

• Rocket Fuel Malt Liquor....DAMN!
  • NWR Staff Pro
  • Score: -18986
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 25, 2015, 04:47:16 PM »
I've been listening to old RFNs from around the time Star Successor came out lately, which got me itching to play it myself, so I'm glad to see it's coming soon.
Insanolord is a terrible moderator.

J.P. Corbran
NWR Community Manager and Soccer Correspondent

Offline Chariblaze

• Score: 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 25, 2015, 04:48:02 PM »

There was a great opportunity here for Nintendo to set up their own Nintendo Wi-Fi Connection servers, change the code of games like Star Successor so they point to the new servers, and distribute the new version via the Wii U eShop. Maybe that'd be too much work, but fans already make unofficial modifications to do the same thing, and Nintendo already seems to change these games so they support the Gamepad. I guess it could be a rights thing with Gamespy or something.

Or you know, thinking about it, why didn't they release a general update to the Wii Disc Channel via the Wii Shop Channel? It would check the game you're running, and if it's a game with Wi-Fi, it would on-the-fly patch in new server info. This is almost exactly what homebrew apps like Riivolution do. Huh. Still too much work for old games, I guess. But man, it totally seems possible!

Offline fred13

• Score: -2
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 25, 2015, 05:21:12 PM »
I've never tried Sin and Punishment maybe I will try one of these out.
I hear the Wii one is easier, can I jump in on the second one or do I need to start with the original?

Offline TOPHATANT123

• Wear a hat that's foil lined in case an alien's inclined to probe your butt or read your mind
  • Score: 12
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 25, 2015, 06:11:31 PM »
I've never tried Sin and Punishment maybe I will try one of these out.
I hear the Wii one is easier, can I jump in on the second one or do I need to start with the original?
I have only played the second but I can say with absolute confidence that the story is a negligible part of the experience. Greg Leahy imported the Japanese version back in the day and his comprehension of the story was on par with everyone else who had watched the story unfold in English.
There is also a co-op mode in the star successor but it isn't very good.

Offline Luigi Dude

• Truth Bomber
  • Score: 4
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 25, 2015, 11:59:18 PM »
Well we got Sin & Punishment 2 because the N64 version did really well when put on the Wii's Virtual Console.  So if the eShop version of Star Successor does good we'll get Sin & Punishment 3. :cool;

Seriously people, Sin & Punishment: Star Success is just incredible, easily one of the greatest rail-shooters ever made.  Hell, a lot of people easily consider it THE greatest.  Even though I'm against buying Wii games on the eShop since I already own the original, I'll easily make an exception for this game since I want to hopefully help get a 3rd game made but would love to be able to play this whenever I want on the Wii U.
I’m gonna have you play every inch of this game! - Masahiro Sakurai

Offline ThePerm

• predicted it first.
  • Score: 64
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 26, 2015, 01:06:22 AM »
so odd this is an old game, i remember when it was announced online.
NWR has permission to use any tentative mockup/artwork I post

Offline Leo13

• Score: 13
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 26, 2015, 03:05:24 PM »
That rating for the sequel really makes me wonder as it mentions online interactions.

Is it possible Nintendo is setting up a way to make online Wii games work again?