Author Topic: Nintendo Wi-Fi Connection DLC Doomsday To-Do List  (Read 7326 times)

Offline JusDBerube

• King Nintendo Fanboy
  • NWR Staff
  • Score: 2
    • View Profile
Nintendo Wi-Fi Connection DLC Doomsday To-Do List
« on: April 15, 2014, 03:43:00 PM »

A list of titles that will be losing DLC, or other content, when Nintendo Wi-Fi Connection goes offline.

http://www.nintendoworldreport.com/feature/37033/nintendo-wi-fi-connection-dlc-doomsday-to-do-list

By now, I'm sure you all know that the Nintendo Wi-Fi Connection service will permanently be going offline on May 20, 2014. This means that many Wii and Nintendo DS titles will lose their ability to have functioning online multiplayer modes. Even worse, games that offered unpaid DLC, or had content blocked unless earned through some online means, will never be able to gain access to it again.

In order to help you, and the world, preserve as much as possible before the deadline, we have come up with this handy list of Wii and DS titles that will be impacted by the loss of DLC, or other content. We hope that you are able to connect online to get this content before it is lost.

Nintendo Wi-Fi Connection will forever live on in our hearts, and hopefully the downloaded content will live on in some form. It would be a shame if the DLC wasn't preserved for historical purposes, so definitely help out by doing what you can before it's too late.

(Note: If you see a title missing from this list, feel free to contact us so we can add it.)

Wii

Wii

Animal Crossing: City Folk

Get all the DLC from friends and other players online before it's too late.

(Note: It will still be possible to get the DLC after the Nintendo Wi-Fi Connection service ends, but you will have to do it by traveling to other people's towns, who have the DLC, through the Nintendo DS Suitcase feature. This will be difficult for most players.)

Excitebike: World Rally

Certain bike colors are only available to those who earn points through online races.

The Last Story

Several items and gear and only available to those who play the online multiplayer mode.

WarioWare D.I.Y. Showcase

Get downloadable games from NinSoft. Includes some special levels made by big name game designers.

(Note: There isn't enough space to save all the DLC to this game. It is, however, possible to split the DLC between this and WarioWare D.I.Y. on Nintendo DS.)

Nintendo DS

Nintendo DS

100 Classic Books

Download extra books.

Dragon Quest IX: Sentinels of the Starry Skies

Download special quests and guests.

Final Fantasy III

Send letters to friends over Mognet in order to unlock the Onion Knight job class, Legendary Blacksmith items, and a secret dungeon.

(Note: It may be possible to still unlock these at a later date though direct DS to DS communication with the title)

Fire Emblem: Shadow Dragon

Last chance to visit the online shop for exclusive items such as the Brave Weapons and the Elysian Whip (the only way to access the Falcon Knight class).

Fossil Fighters: Champions

Download exclusive fossils.

Grand Theft Auto: Chinatown Wars

Unlock special Missions.

Jam with the Band

Download extra songs.

(Note: If you have further information about how many songs there are, and how many game carts are needed, let us know.)

Mario vs. Donkey Kong 2: March of the Minis

Download levels.

Mario vs. Donkey Kong: Mini-Land Mayhem!

Download levels.

Mario vs. Donkey Kong: Minis March Again!

Download levels.

Picross DS

Download Puzzles.

(Note: It will take 10 copies of the game to download all the official content.)

Picross 3D

Download Puzzles.

(Note: It will take two copies of the game to be able to store all the DLC.)

Pokémon Conquest

Download Episodes.

Pokémon Ranger: Guardian Signs

Download Missions.

Pokémon Ranger: Shadows of Almia

Download Missions.

Professor Layton and the Curious Village

Download all the Weekly Puzzles.

Professor Layton and the Diabolical Box

Professor Layton and the Last Specter

Professor Layton and the Unwound Future

In London Life, send/receive enough gifts from friends in Segal's Social Club to unlock rare items and special visitors.

Style Savvy

Download special clothing.

WarioWare D.I.Y.

Get downloadable games from NinSoft. Includes some special levels made by big name game designers.

(Note: It will take an estimated two copies of the title to hold all the DLC games. It is also possible split the DLC between this and WarioWare D.I.Y. Showcase.)

Offline MisterE13

• Student of the NWR Forums
  • Score: 4
    • View Profile
Re: Nintendo Wi-Fi Connection DLC Doomsday To-Do List
« Reply #1 on: April 15, 2014, 06:26:59 PM »
Glad to see something like this, I mentioned in another thread that I was hoping we could get this list written.

A few questions/comments:

The extra missions in both Pokémon Ranger games were limited-time offers and were finished a while ago. This may also be the case for most/all of the content from Conquest. I have nothing against mentioning it for people who see the games in the list of games losing features and wonder what they're missing out on but then you might have to mention events from the main Pokémon games or even the Guitar Hero DLC which have also been discontinued. If nothing else, I'm sure posterity would appreciate as complete a list of Wii/DS DLC.

Also, I think there was stuff you could unlock in Final Fantasy III by sending messages to other players. Is that not included because (I think) you can also get it through local wireless? Because that might be harder for people to organise.

Related to that, I thought I heard that the Dragon Quest stuff could also be unlocked through local interaction. Worth noting?

Offline Chariblaze

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 15, 2014, 09:03:15 PM »
The puzzle DLC for the Laytons, and I think the books in 100 Classic Books, are all on cartridge, so if you're willing to cheat later on down the road they're not lost forever. Still, good enough reason for me to pick them up.

Sucks to hear that Picross DS/3D won't be able to hold all their DLC on one cartridge. :( Not sure if it's worth $5 to pick up another Picross 3D just for that...

Pokemon Conquest: The episode distribution ended long ago, but you can use an odd password system to unlock them now.

Pokemon Rangers: Both Shadows of Almia and Guardian Signs still have two missions each up for download. Like Layton, though, these are all on-cartridge, so you could cheat them in later.

Dragon Quest IX: Yeah, MisterE13 is right, if you connect locally with someone who's already downloaded the quests, you'll get them, too. I wouldn't risk the chances of that happening, but it is possible.

Also: GTA: Chinatown Wars. It took me a while to confirm this, but there are two missions that only be accessed by connecting to the Rockstar Social Club and playing some minigames. The missions are only going to last you 15 minutes or so compared to dearth of puzzles in Layton, though, so I wouldn't get the game NOW if that's all you want it for.

Last bit, Pokemon. There's not really much in Pokemon that could be considered DLC (not counting Mystery Gifts, but those are all over, anyway), but there are medals (achievements) in Black 2/White 2 that are fairly exclusive to online play: Do a trade with someone internationally so you can visit Union Tower, and fill up your Pal Pad. Trading "internationally" SHOULD be fairly easy down the road if you have two copies of the game--just register your location in one copy as being in a different country, and that should work. The Pal Pad one is also possible to get after the shutdown, but since Friend Codes won't be handed out after that date, I implore you to find 31 other copies of BW/BW2 that have connected to the Internet at some point. Good luck.

Also in Pokemon: Female Pokemon with their Hidden Abilities. Most of everybody who knows what that means has moved on to X/Y at this point, but there is still some reason to collect all the HAFs/DWFs in Black/White (RNG abuse, mainly). After the shutdown, the only way to legally get these Pokemon will be through local trading with someone who got them from somewhere else. If you have no idea what I'm talking about, then just ignore this part.

Offline Cyrian

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 16, 2014, 11:14:14 AM »
How about Friend Vouchers in Metroid Prime 3 and Trilogy?
I still can't believe that they actually tied bonus content to those stupid things.

Offline Chariblaze

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 16, 2014, 11:18:40 AM »
How about Friend Vouchers in Metroid Prime 3 and Trilogy?
I still can't believe that they actually tied bonus content to those stupid things.

I think that stuff became unavailable last June when the Wii Message Board was shutdown. Not as huge of a deal since saves are sort of easy to import on Wii; GameFAQs has a nice save file that has no progress, but all the necessary credits.

Offline Cyrian

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 16, 2014, 11:33:56 AM »
I think that stuff became unavailable last June when the Wii Message Board was shutdown. Not as huge of a deal since saves are sort of easy to import on Wii; GameFAQs has a nice save file that has no progress, but all the necessary credits.

Ohh, that's good to know. Thanks!

Offline Taffypool

• Score: 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 16, 2014, 01:55:13 PM »
Was just about to suggest Metroid Prime: Trilogy for your list.

I think you're right about the Message Board stuff. I remember being bummed, having JUST bought the game. Well, guess it's time to go back to Corruption and not worry about the purple (?) credits...

Offline Mop it up

• And I've gotta say...
  • Score: 125
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 21, 2014, 08:16:33 PM »
Another thing I'd like to know is how much of a game needs to be played before the content can be accessed. Take Dragon Quest IX for example, how far in could I start downloading everything? That's a pretty big game and I don't know if I want to undertake that right now.

Offline azeke

• He's ruining Splatfest for the rest of us
  • Score: 11
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 22, 2014, 12:57:01 AM »
Jam with the Band
There are about 300 songs, but i could barely find 50 good ones among them. 50 is the limit of songs you can download per cart.
Winners don't hate and W101 rocks

Offline Louieturkey

• Terrifying fantasies
  • Score: -3
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 22, 2014, 03:19:20 PM »
Jam with the Band
There are about 300 songs, but i could barely find 50 good ones among them. 50 is the limit of songs you can download per cart.
Time to go buy 6 carts.

Offline tav7623

• Score: 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 14, 2014, 01:18:21 PM »
Thanks for the heads up guys! I did not know that The Last Story had online only weapons or that Mario vs. DK Minis March Again had downloadable levels so I will definitely try to jump on those before the May 20th deadline.

Offline MisterE13

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 14, 2014, 04:20:29 PM »
A lot of theses games have been disappointingly hard to find around these parts

Offline Khushrenada

• is an Untrustworthy Liar
  • NWR Junior Ranger
  • Score: 38
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 14, 2014, 05:42:23 PM »
My DS games refuse to connect to the internet. I've been trying to download the weekly puzzles for Professor Layton and have tried to do so on 3 different internet Wi-Fi connections and it has failed to do so all 3 times. I even popped the game into my 3DS to see if that would make a difference but it doesn't. Anyone else with issues?
Whoever said, "Cheaters never win" must've never met Khushrenada.

« Reply #13 on: May 14, 2014, 05:51:53 PM »
I just wonder if Nintendo will re-release some of these as e-Shop or Virtual Console versions as "Complete Editions" that might make up for some of this right?
Trying to be a better person, honest.

Offline MisterE13

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 14, 2014, 05:55:03 PM »
My DS games refuse to connect to the internet. I've been trying to download the weekly puzzles for Professor Layton and have tried to do so on 3 different internet Wi-Fi connections and it has failed to do so all 3 times. I even popped the game into my 3DS to see if that would make a difference but it doesn't. Anyone else with issues?
The original DS (and most games made for it, even if they're being played on a 3DS) can't be used on connections that are protected by WPA security features. I think that in the last few years its become increasingly likely that your connection would use those instead of WEP, which the old DS could connect to.

Offline Khushrenada

• NWR Junior Ranger
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: May 14, 2014, 06:20:40 PM »
Makes sense. It keeps asking for a WEP key which should just be the password on a two of the other spots I tried. With my home internet connection, it won't even allow me to select it as an option. If I unlock my home network, will that make much of a difference or will the WPA just cause the DS to reject it no matter what?

Offline MisterE13

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: May 14, 2014, 06:29:34 PM »
You could always try that, I don't really know enough about the technical aspects of it to know if it will work. I've been lucky enough to know some people that don't have protection on their Wi-Fi that I can use when I need to download something like that.

Offline Chariblaze

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: May 14, 2014, 06:45:15 PM »
Makes sense. It keeps asking for a WEP key which should just be the password on a two of the other spots I tried. With my home internet connection, it won't even allow me to select it as an option. If I unlock my home network, will that make much of a difference or will the WPA just cause the DS to reject it no matter what?

Yeah, the DS will connect to WEP networks and open (unlocked) networks.

Offline Khushrenada

• NWR Junior Ranger
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: May 14, 2014, 09:23:44 PM »
Indeed. I've found that out and have been downloading puzzles, puzzles, puzzles.

Offline Khushrenada

• NWR Junior Ranger
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: May 20, 2014, 12:49:59 PM »
Doomsday hath come. Weep and dispair.

Offline Chariblaze

• View Profile
« Reply #20 on: May 20, 2014, 02:03:52 PM »
Mario Vs. Donkey Kong 2 just arrived today. :(

Offline UncleBob

• (PATRON)
  • NWR Junior Ranger
  • Score: 98
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: May 20, 2014, 11:41:31 PM »
Doomsday hath come. Weep and dispair.

Yup.  Planned to get on MKWii tonight and close down the service - it's already dead and gone.  Lame. :(
Just some random guy on the internet who has a different opinion of games than you.