Author Topic: Smash Bros. Online: Different Modes For Different Opponents  (Read 1940 times)

Offline King Bowser Koopa

• NWR Staff
  • Score: 7
    • View Profile
Smash Bros. Online: Different Modes For Different Opponents
« on: April 08, 2014, 07:44:00 PM »

Will you play for fun or for glory? More details inside!

http://www.nintendoworldreport.com/news/37108/smash-bros-online-different-modes-for-different-opponents

Both the 3DS and Wii U versions of the next Super Smash Bros. game will feature online play modes promised to be vastly superior to that found in the previous game. Multiple modes are available to the player depending on their choice of opponents. In today's Nintendo Direct update, it was revealed that the Wii U version of the game will allow battles against both friends and strangers online. It has yet to be confirmed that both online opponent choices will be selectable on the 3DS version, however it was stated that the online features on 3DS "will not be overshadowed".

When battling against strangers online in the Wii U version, two options are available. For Fun will let you choose your fighter, but will randomly select the stage you play on with all items and power-ups turned on. In this mode, the only recorded data will be victories won.

For Glory, the other option for online bouts with strangers, will only place the opponents in a Final Destination variant of each stage, with no elevated platforms or items in a battle that relies purely on fighting ability. Almost all stages in the game will One-on-one battles are also an available option in this mode.

When playing against opponents on your online friends list, the classic Smash Bros. buffet of customization options is available, letting you select the stage, items and custom rules.

Players will not be able to fight online anonymously, and all battles will link the characters to the player's corresponding Nintendo Network ID. Just like in Miiverse, players will be able to report any misconduct or unfair treatment. Nintendo will also be cracking down on players who abuse the online system, with potential temporary bans enforced as punishment. Bans will be focused on players who repeatedly engage in activities such as frequent self-destructing, beginning a match and then not playing, continuously dropping their connection for any reason or applying cheating methods. Fortunately, trolls who baselessly report other players for no reason will also be penalized.

A new ranking system called Global Smash Power, will provide an encouraging new twist to classic formulas. Instead of showing your current global position in the game's ranks, will tell you the amount of people your score outranks. Online battles will not contribute to your Global Smash Power tally, and instead the feature will use data collected in Solo Mode activities.

Andrew Brown - NWR Australia Correspondent

Offline lolmonade

• I wanna ride dolphins with you in the moonlight until the staff at Sea World kicks us out
  • Score: 29
    • View Profile
Re: Smash Bros. Online: Different Modes For Different Opponents
« Reply #1 on: April 08, 2014, 07:48:19 PM »
I'll probably be doing more "for fun" games, but I'm so happy to see they're working to provide a good variety of game options for online. 

...I guess I'll need to dig up my Wii Lan Adapter, to ensure an optimal connection....It frustrates me they didn't have a wired connection port built-in for the Wii U.

Offline Mop it up

• And I've gotta say...
  • Score: 125
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 08, 2014, 08:01:48 PM »
Good to hear. I ran into a lot of people who just taunted over and over in Brawl, I wonder if such acts count as unacceptable.

Offline Rodrigue

• Score: 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 08, 2014, 08:31:19 PM »
It is kinda dumb that they aren't showing at least the top 100 or 1000 as classic rankings, there's also the problem of the player base growing so it's hard to tell your skill from that, but it's better than nothing. I prefer seeing them attempt to balance competitive with casual even if it's not perfect (leaning towards casual is better than leaning towards competitive for Smash Bros. anyway).

Offline Adrock

• Chill, Valentine
  • Score: 138
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 08, 2014, 08:34:02 PM »
Good to hear. I ran into a lot of people who just taunted over and over in Brawl, I wonder if such acts count as unacceptable.
I played maybe one match online in Brawl. I'll probably stick to friend matches which is mostly made up of NWR people.

Offline Mop it up

• And I've gotta say...
  • Score: 125
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 08, 2014, 08:42:00 PM »
Will you report me if I taunt over and over?

Offline Adrock

• Chill, Valentine
  • Score: 138
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 08, 2014, 08:57:06 PM »
Will you report me if I taunt over and over?
You? No.

An e-kick to the face will likely happen instead, unless I play as Little Mac then substitute that for an e-punch.

Offline Mythtendo

• My rims never spin, to the contrary, you'll find that they're quite stationary
  • Score: 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 08, 2014, 11:44:45 PM »
"For Glory" sounds lame. Final Destination and no items? That's like what the so called tourny players like, and is not the Smash experience.

Offline Shaymin

• Not my circus, not my monkeys
  • NWR Staff
  • Score: 70
    • View Profile
    • You're on it
« Reply #8 on: April 09, 2014, 12:32:46 AM »
Which is why they made the "For Fun" option as big if not bigger.
Donald Theriault - News Editor, Nintendo World Report / 2016 Nintendo World Champion
Tutorial box out.