Author Topic: Mario & Luigi: Superstar Saga Review Mini  (Read 4516 times)

Offline Daan

• NWR Staff
  • Score: 10
    • View Profile
Mario & Luigi: Superstar Saga Review Mini
« on: April 06, 2014, 01:20:00 PM »

Join the brothers and relive their first portable RPG!

http://www.nintendoworldreport.com/reviewmini/37070/mario-n-luigi-superstar-saga-review-mini

If there is one game I vividly remember playing on the Game Boy Advance, it’s Mario & Luigi: Superstar Saga. Developed by AlphaDream, I played the game over and over. In the years since, I've changed a lot, but this first adventure with both the brothers has not.

In Mario & Luigi: Superstar Saga you follow the Mario Bros., who are tasked with returning Princess Peach’s voice. It was stolen by the evil Cackletta and her trustful henchman Fawful. What makes this world click so much is the witty writing and the funny characters. Like Popple, a thief who you will encounter many times during your quest and who uses “see?” as a sort of silly catchphrase.

What makes the game actually special though, is how well it throws various elements together to one big lovable pile. While you are guided towards a certain path, you have the freedom to explore and take it all in The controls can be a bit finicky at times, in particular when a certain perspective is needed for an action, but the environments are done well. There are various minigames to play, side-quests to find and many things to interact with to make the experience never feel really dry.

The battle system is also great, which has both the turn-based and timed elements. Players choose an attack, like the jump, and press the A button right when they are landing on the enemy for some additional damage. Bros. Attacks go a step further by requiring both brothers to enter the fray and combining their timed skills for super moves. By using the hammer and jumps at the right moments, players can also lower damage taken or render an opponent's attack fully useless.

The game looks quite good still and the pixelated graphics look sharp both on the television and on the Wii U GamePad. It is a bright and colorful adventure with wonderfully crafted locations, which are ready for players to explore. The audio is great too, though it can get a bit repetitive. There are plenty of tracks, but the game tends to use them for overly long periods at a time.

Mario & Luigi: Superstar Saga is still a fun ride through and through and I really adored my time with it. While there are some tiny annoyances, it shouldn’t deter anyone from picking the game up. The unique world and interesting characters sell the experience, making it one worth having.

Offline Mop it up

• And I've gotta say...
  • Score: 125
    • View Profile
Re: Mario and Luigi: Superstar Saga Review Mini
« Reply #1 on: April 06, 2014, 01:54:30 PM »
I think this is the best GBA game and is the one everyone should try out.

Offline Aaron Brown

• Score: 3
    • View Profile
    • Twitter
« Reply #2 on: April 06, 2014, 01:59:52 PM »
Yes, it was awesome the first time around, I'm sure it still will be now.
Aaron R. Brown
Previews Editor
Nintendo World Report

Offline Stealth

• Score: -1
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 06, 2014, 02:02:27 PM »
Still an amazing game

Offline Stealth

• Score: -1
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 06, 2014, 02:02:35 PM »
still an amazing game

Offline jg233

• Score: 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 06, 2014, 06:52:41 PM »
I would have to agree- if there is one GBA game everyone should try, this is it!

Offline pokepal148

• Inquire within for reasonable rates.
  • Score: -9967
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 06, 2014, 09:08:03 PM »
I am extremely hesitant to go into this since I tried bowsers inside story and just couldn't get into it's combat system for the bros.

Offline Chariblaze

• Score: 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 06, 2014, 09:39:28 PM »
What specific spots were you having control issues with?

Offline pokepal148

• Inquire within for reasonable rates.
  • Score: -9967
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 07, 2014, 01:06:05 AM »
Basically the battles with Mario and Luigi, making me have two seperate buttons to do the exact same thing just for whatever reason, something about the way controlling the two characters in the same setting works just doesn't work at all for me, I have no idea what it is just the way my mind works it doesn't compute.

Honestly I feel like If we got a spinoff thing using just Bowser I would enjoy it to bits. The approach of having bowser able to do two actions to defend himself and having to figure out how you want to defend yourself with the attack works much better for me.

Offline Caterkiller

• Not too big for Smash Bros. after all
  • Score: 74
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 07, 2014, 02:35:13 AM »
I  remember laughing particularly hard at many of the jokes. I don't really remember much of them so I hope they get me just as good as before.
Nintendo players and One Piece readers, just better people.

RomanceDawn

« Reply #10 on: April 07, 2014, 03:20:38 PM »
This is the single best Gameboy game in my opinion. I would give up all my Gameboy ambassador titles for this one if I could. The way it runs, the great graphics (this was the Gameboy advance after all), and the in-depth and interesting story were all so awesome.