Author Topic: Nintendo Power Set to Stop Publication  (Read 18137 times)

Offline NWR_Neal

• NWR Staff Pro
  • Score: 27
    • View Profile
Nintendo Power Set to Stop Publication
« on: August 21, 2012, 01:57:03 PM »

The Nintendo magazine will stop publication soon after nearly 25 years of circulation.

http://www.nintendoworldreport.com/news/31388

Nintendo Power, a magazine in circulation since 1989, will no longer be published, according to Ars Technica and confirmed by Nintendo Power staffers.

Ars Technica cited a source that told them that Nintendo and magazine publisher Future were unable to work out a deal regarding the Nintendo Power brand, which is owned by Nintendo, as they ran the magazine from 1989 to 2007. Supposedly, Nintendo was difficult to work with and not interested in working with Future on digital ideas that Future thought was necessary for the magazine and brand's success.

The current issue available is #281, dated for August 2012. It is unknown how many more are left, but Nintendo Power's Phil Theobald commented on Twitter that they have "something sweet" planned for the final issue.

The Nintendo Power staff is being transitioned to Future's other publications and sites, which include GamesRadar, MacLife, @Gamer, Official Xbox Magazine, and PlayStation: The Official Magazine. However, there is no confirmation that every staffer will be afforded this opportunity.

Neal Ronaghan
Director, NWR

"Fungah! Foiled again!"

Offline Khushrenada

• is an Untrustworthy Liar
  • NWR Junior Ranger
  • Score: 38
    • View Profile
Re: Nintendo Power Set to Stop Publication
« Reply #1 on: August 21, 2012, 01:58:39 PM »
Woah! That sucks actually.
Whoever said, "Cheaters never win" must've never met Khushrenada.

Offline Glad0s

• Score: 3
    • View Profile
    • Reagan's Music Reviews
« Reply #2 on: August 21, 2012, 02:07:19 PM »
NOOOO!! WHERE WILL WE GET OUR OVER-INFLATED REVIEW SCORES NOW?!?!? Quick, everyone! To IGN's Xbox reviews! HUZZAHH!!!!

In all seriousness, this is kind of a shame. I suppose that the internet is pretty much killing off all game-related print publications.
"Isn't Karl like Mexican or something"

Offline Luigi Dude

• Truth Bomber
  • Score: 4
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 21, 2012, 02:07:54 PM »
Sad, but not surprising.  Print publications are becoming more and more irrelevant in this day and age.  It's a hard sell to get people to pay money to get a magazine when they can just get the same information and much more for free online.
I’m gonna have you play every inch of this game! - Masahiro Sakurai

Offline broodwars

• Hunting for a Pineapple Salad
  • Score: -1011
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 21, 2012, 02:16:13 PM »
Well, I can't honestly say I'm going to miss the magazine, despite some rose-tinted nostalgia for it.  I was a reader up through around the middle of the N64 days, and back then it was at best an average piece of Nintendo's propaganda machine.  Every once in a while you'd get an interesting-looking comic; some detailed maps; or a nice exclusive item in the Nintendo Power store like a Soundtrack CD (hey, remember when Nintendo actually released those in America?), but their coverage and reviews were always kind of lame.  I've heard it improved a great deal when Nintendo finally cut it loose years ago, but by that point I had pretty much moved on to EGM.  I wouldn't be surprised if EGM announced the same thing soon, actually, considering I never see new issues on store shelves anymore.
There was a Signature here. It's gone now.

Offline geo

• Score: -1
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 21, 2012, 02:23:08 PM »
Sounds like Nintendo would rather give out all its news through Nintendo Direct than through a magazine.

Offline Ian Sane

• Champion for Urban Champion
  • Score: 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 21, 2012, 02:23:42 PM »
It's weird but NP hasn't mattered to me in a LONG time.  During the NES days it was essential, not for reviews or anything, but for tips and tricks and walkthroughs and such.  With no internet that information was very valuable.  Of course I could say this about Gamepro or EGM or any of the numerous game mags.  By the time the Dreamcast came out it was like "okay, why do we still have these things?"  I can't imagine ever looking at back issues for anything in the 3D era where reviews and FAQs are plentiful.  Nintendo Power is a NES/SNES era thing and that was a long time ago.

Offline Ceric

• Once killed four Deviljho in one hunt
  • Score: 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 21, 2012, 02:24:20 PM »
I was a reader up to when they stopped putting comics in regularly.  I'm in the market to get 1-30 or so.  I really need to get on that.  I want all the comics.
Need a Personal NonCitizen-Magical-Elf-Boy-Child-Game-Abused-King-Kratos-Play-Thing Crimm Unmaker-of-Worlds-Hunter-Of-Boxes
so, I don't have to edit as Much.

Offline ThePerm

• predicted it first.
  • Score: 64
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 21, 2012, 02:25:41 PM »
EGM already stopped publication one time. Its funny hearing Nintendo was hard to work with. I wonder how difficult it is to work with Japanese corporations at this point. Nintendo despite always being Japanese seems even more difficult to work with than it used to be. I was reading an article on Wreck-it Ralph and they seemed like they must have been a pain to work with.
NWR has permission to use any tentative mockup/artwork I post

Offline SonofMrPeanut

• (illegitimately)
  • Score: 8
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 21, 2012, 02:36:18 PM »
Final Issue Surprise:  Nester confirmed for Smash Bros!

I'm certainly going to get on that final issue, framing it and potentially getting it signed.

Offline Chariblaze

• Score: 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 21, 2012, 03:05:25 PM »
I suppose it should have been assumed it was a contracted deal. Five years with Future. Ah, well. Everything nice has to die someday.

Offline Crimm

• Get your unfiltered Bowsette here!
  • NWR Staff Pro
  • Score: 1147
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 21, 2012, 03:29:31 PM »
Gui was just talking about how he recently subscribed to NP...ha
James Jones
Mondo Editor
Nintendo World Report

Offline Kairon

• T_T
  • NWR Staff Pro
  • Score: 48
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 21, 2012, 03:45:25 PM »
I.AM.SO.SAD
Carmine Red, Associate Editor

A glooming peace this morning with it brings;
The sun, for sorrow, will not show his head:
Go hence, to have more talk of these sad things;
Some shall be pardon'd, and some punished:
For never was a story of more woe
Than this of Sega and her Mashiro.

Offline ShyGuy

• Fight Me!
  • Score: -9660
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 21, 2012, 03:53:49 PM »
NWR and the internet killed Nintendo Power. Thanks Neal. Thanks a lot.

Offline NWR_Neal

• NWR Staff Pro
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 21, 2012, 04:06:13 PM »
If we killed Nintendo Power, then this site has become way too powerful for me to control.

Basically, no, we didn't. Not at all. Blame GoNintendo, maybe? Idk.
Neal Ronaghan
Director, NWR

"Fungah! Foiled again!"

Offline Ceric

• Once killed four Deviljho in one hunt
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: August 21, 2012, 04:31:12 PM »
If we killed Nintendo Power, then this site has become way too powerful for me to control.

We know secretly its like Highlanders there can only be 1.
Need a Personal NonCitizen-Magical-Elf-Boy-Child-Game-Abused-King-Kratos-Play-Thing Crimm Unmaker-of-Worlds-Hunter-Of-Boxes
so, I don't have to edit as Much.

Offline CartoonHero

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: August 21, 2012, 04:43:43 PM »
A part of me just died... :'(  Well, I knew it couldn't last forever. I think I'll just frame the final issue. And I only subscribed last year on February..... I've run out of things to say....
Takes RPG's to heart and shooters to my farts. This makes no sense. XD

Offline Shaymin

• Not my circus, not my monkeys
  • NWR Staff
  • Score: 70
    • View Profile
    • You're on it
« Reply #17 on: August 21, 2012, 04:48:59 PM »

The only thing I blame them for is sucking.

Between friends and my own sub, I have nearly 12 years of Nintendo Power still. Even got a full page in the Pikmin issue and felt like the king of the world for a month straight. I even know a couple of people who write there now who are out of work (Phil and Casey).

RIP Nintendo Power.
Donald Theriault - News Editor, Nintendo World Report / 2016 Nintendo World Champion
Tutorial box out.

Offline Mop it up

• And I've gotta say...
  • Score: 125
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: August 21, 2012, 05:31:38 PM »
I'm a bit surprised this didn't happen sooner. I can't really say I'm sad about it since I stopped subscribing years ago, but the magazine was definitely fun to have in the 90's and early 2000's.

Offline powerclaw1

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: August 21, 2012, 05:43:22 PM »
Tis it be a sad day indeed. Let us give a moment of silence. :(

Offline marty

• Score: -96
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: August 21, 2012, 06:01:42 PM »
Had a subscription in the mid-late 90's.  I don't have any nostalgia for it so i don't really care now, but back in the day (as we used to say) it was pretty alright.

Offline Retro Deckades

• Score: 8
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: August 21, 2012, 06:30:08 PM »
This sucks! I recently recently renewed my subscription. Prior to doing so, I hadn't received any renewal reminders... I wonder if this is why.

I've actually kept my subscription going since issue #48. It was the May 1993 issue, and it featured Batman Returns.

Ever since their overhaul in July 2005, I have read each issue from front to back days after it arrived. I always enjoyed doing that. Whereas now you can get all of your information from the internet, it was a very comforting thing to kick back with the magazine and read about all of the upcoming games.

Plus, in recent years they have put a lot of focus on retro games, which I found even more endearing.
« Last Edit: August 21, 2012, 06:35:53 PM by OneTwenty »

Offline Tizona

• View Profile
« Reply #22 on: August 21, 2012, 06:46:48 PM »
I've had a subscription for nearly 10 years now, and have collected nearly all of the backlog. It'll be fun to say I own every issue from start to finish, but I'm really sad I won't get it in the mail anymore. It's just one of those fun little suprises every month when I come home to a fresh copy in the mail box, and just a little reminder of how FUN games can be, as the internet sites (NWR excluded) can have a tendency to take all the fun out gaming with the BS snark and trolling, etc.
"Hear the crashing, see the flames and the sparks! TIZONA!"

Offline S-U-P-E-R

• My Butt is Ready :reggie;
  • Score: -63
    • View Profile
    • oh my god
« Reply #23 on: August 21, 2012, 07:10:29 PM »

;_;

Offline NWR_Neal

• NWR Staff Pro