Author Topic: New DS news 9/13/04  (Read 12891 times)

Offline Blackknight131

• Score: 0
    • View Profile
RE:Old DS news 9/13/04
« Reply #25 on: September 16, 2004, 08:12:31 PM »

Originally posted by: Bill Aurion
I do all I can to procrastinate...

And I'm betting on Mario 64x4 as well...Not only does it give the DS a jumpstart with an revitilized classic, it also gives more time to Ninty to make the new Mario something to write home about(Notice that the second screen was concealed in released screens of the game)...

You know, it  may just be that Super Mario Bros. is a single screen game...
Tho, I personally wouldnt care whether they used the second screen in any considerable fashion. I trust Miyamoto-san to make the judgements about what a Mario game will be.

That fact, and the one about it possibly being a remake of sorts of the very first game...

Offline Bill Aurion

• NWR Forum Loli
  • Score: 34
    • View Profile
RE: Old DS news 9/13/04
« Reply #26 on: September 16, 2004, 08:34:56 PM »
"You know, it may just be that Super Mario Bros. is a single screen game..."

How much do you want to bet that it isn't?
~Former Resident Zelda Aficionado and Nintendo Fan~

Offline Spak-Spang

• The Frightened Fox
  • Score: 39
    • View Profile
    • MirandaNew.com
« Reply #27 on: September 17, 2004, 04:36:39 AM »
I would love a dual Screen platform game where you control Mario and Luigi at the same time.

In fact only one aspect could be Platform (Mario up top) and Luigi could be engaged in a completely different style game where you must use the touch screen.  This would be cool, because very few games have really been designed where you must real time handle very different multiple objectives and gameplay types.

That would be innovative.  

Offline joeamis

• View Profile
« Reply #28 on: September 17, 2004, 04:51:56 PM »

Originally posted by: kurst_chao3030
sorry...but, those are barely any of the games i'd think to come out with system, but Viewtiful Joe would be nice

oh and Joeamis, is star ocean till the end of time, and could u tell me about the 2 player, please...

I listed those games because they are either: 1) remakes/ports, 2) already well in development, 3) easy to make, 4) successful on gba/early in gba lifetime.  Huh what do you mean, "is star ocean till the end of time" ?  I haven't bought it yet, it's one of the titles I am seriously considering once I have money to, but by the time that happens, I may find an even newer release attracting my attention.

Offline MaleficentOgre

• View Profile
« Reply #29 on: September 17, 2004, 05:55:28 PM »
Too confusing to control mario and luigi at the same time.  Not simple enough, not easy enough to pick up and play.  That kind of idea won't work until the DS is on the way out when the user base is use to the weird controls.

Offline KDR_11k

• boring person
  • Score: 28
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: September 17, 2004, 09:41:34 PM »
The G&W game Mario&Luigi was simple enough so a player could control both at once, but a full mario platformer wouldn't be that simple to control.

Offline MattVDB

• In need of an alter-ego
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: September 17, 2004, 11:22:28 PM »
Superstar Saga can give us a good example of what to expect, if we were to have a dual platformer like spak is suggesting.  Anybody remember the mine cart ride?  Personally, that was one of my favorite moments.  It was challenging, yet simple.  The DS could expand on this type of duality a lot, and that excites me.  Here's hoping Bill comes in and carries this torch, as I really don't have any more energy to take it further...

Offline Stimutacs Addict

• View Profile
« Reply #32 on: September 18, 2004, 09:57:17 AM »
i am awaiting an adventure title the speed of smash bros. using touchscreen controls for the movement of your character
I'll shut up now...

Offline Pale

• Staff Layton Hat Thief
  • Score: 4
    • View Profile
    • PaleHour
« Reply #33 on: September 18, 2004, 10:10:21 AM »
As far as a dual platformer......  Think Three Vikings or whatever that game is called......
:: I was an active staffer forever ago, or was it yesterday. Time is an anomaly. Father of two boys.
---------------------
:: Grouvee :: Instagram

Offline KDR_11k

• boring person
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: September 18, 2004, 10:30:11 AM »
Lost Vikings? Well, that wasn't simultaneous control.

Offline Bill Aurion

• NWR Forum Loli
  • Score: 34
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: September 18, 2004, 01:17:37 PM »
I think controlling two characters at once is entirely possible, as Matt showed in the example from M&L...To apply this sense of hand-eye coordination even further I'd set it up so that you control a character on the top screen(with the d-pad) while manuevering the second character's actions(perhaps not in the same manner as the character on the top screen would) with the touch screen on the bottom...
~Former Resident Zelda Aficionado and Nintendo Fan~

Offline MaleficentOgre

• View Profile
« Reply #36 on: September 18, 2004, 02:02:40 PM »
Yes its possible to control two characters at once, but in a full platformer that's just too much work, and with your control scheme people who's hand eye coordination sucks, and people that haven't been playing games forever will easily get frustrated and lost with the controls, therefore sinking and destroying the game.

Offline joeamis

• View Profile
« Reply #37 on: September 18, 2004, 07:08:02 PM »
I tend to agree that controlling two characters onscreen at the same time, for the average consumer will equal frustration, atleast for the whole game.  If it was part of a short part or a mini game then maybe most would enjoy.

Not to get off topic here, but do you think Nintendo will send DS demo setups to retailers by the time of launch, or slightly earlier, so everyone can try out the system.  I know they will eventually, but hopefully they'll have them up the day of or a week earlier.

Offline KDR_11k

• boring person
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: September 18, 2004, 08:33:48 PM »
The old 2d Marios need your full attention, having another game run at the same time would take more attention than you have. And I'd rather have a single screen 2d Mario than a dumbed down dual screen one.

Offline Bloodworth

• Phantom
  • Score: 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: September 18, 2004, 11:32:16 PM »
I've been playing Pikmin 2, and while I doubt the DS could run the Pikmin engine, two screens would be great for situations when you're switching between groups.  You could set one group in motion to build a bridge or something and continue to watch their progress as you have another group collect pellets and nectar near the base.  Once the bridge is almost done, you can gather up the rest of the guys and head over just in time to cross.
Daniel Bloodworth
Managing Editor
GameTrailers

Offline kratos

• View Profile
« Reply #40 on: September 19, 2004, 10:28:40 AM »
Pikmin could be run on the DS.  Reduce the number of Pikmin to 50, use sprites for enemies and Pikmin.  I don't see where it couldn't be done.

Offline KDR_11k

• boring person
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: September 19, 2004, 09:05:19 PM »
I have a feeling the DS could handle 100 sprite Pikmin, too.

Offline Blackknight131

• View Profile
« Reply #42 on: September 20, 2004, 04:15:55 PM »

Originally posted by: Bill Aurion
"You know, it may just be that Super Mario Bros. is a single screen game..."

How much do you want to bet that it isn't?

OK, I'll bite on that. If Im wrong I will pay mighty homage to your namesake in my avatar caption thingy.
That is, if I remember. BWAHAHAHAHAH.

I declare:

THE SUPER MARIO BROS GAME WILL NOT USE THE SECOND SCREEN FOR ANYTHING SIGNIFICANT.

ahem.

Damn, now that Ive all-cap~sed it, I cant ever take it back.
Oh wait....dont want to get confused with 64x4:

addendum: AND IM NOT REFERRING TO 64x4!!!

There. Now its crystal.

Its on like Donkey Kong, friend.

Offline Blackknight131

• View Profile
« Reply #43 on: September 20, 2004, 04:22:09 PM »

Originally posted by: joeamis
Not to get off topic here, but do you think Nintendo will send DS demo setups to retailers by the time of launch, or slightly earlier, so everyone can try out the system.  I know they will eventually, but hopefully they'll have them up the day of or a week earlier.

Yes.
That I do.

Any less would be...uncivilized.
And no, you cant have my Grey Poupon.

In all seriousness Ive been reading impressions from retailers that supposedly ballpark a release of DS "try-me-out" kiosks in the neighborhood of "very very soon" and uhh...one month. Whichever comes first.

Geez, I wish I could find the link for the guy's post. He was talking about his personal DS impressions as well...the size, BUTTON SIZE, screen quality, Air Hockey and Wario Ware demos...