Gaming Forums > General Gaming

30 day video game music challenge! Let's do this together!

(1/5) > >>

pokepal148:

Khushrenada:
"Hard Mode: No Repeat Games" so does that mean I could do a song from DKC1, 1 from DKC2, 1 from DKC3, 1 from DKCR, and 1 from DKC:TR since those are individual games?

(Because if so, this ain't really a hard mode.)

pokepal148:
It's not a format that I created so I can't say but I'd say that you're free to impose whatever additional restrictions you feel are necessary to make things interesting.

I'm personally sticking with one song per series with one exception.

Order.RSS:
Ok, sure, sounds fun! I'll claim the first one while Khush is thinking about DK, and tomorrow someone else chimes in?  ;D

Day 1: Title Screen Music
Selection: Metroid Prime (2002)
Linked here, and embedded below. Flows immediately into this track.

This is a really tough one right off the bat. Obvious other Nintendo contenders would be Ocarina of Time, which definitely benefits from an impressive video alongside it, and Xenoblade Chronicles with its slowly building piano piece. I didn't pick Ocarina because, nostalgia aside, the quality isn't great with its tinny instrumentation (plus I think Zelda will get several other chances in this series).
Xenoblade, while great, I think also just works as a classical piece on its own, not necessarily as menu music specifically. (Plus, controversial maybe, but I like Sorrow even better from that OST.)

Outside of the Nintendo bubble, I think the Halo: Combat Evolved menu theme is absolutely iconic, although it's also the series' main theme for which I'll arbitrarily dock it a point. Also considered Chrono Trigger, but again, it incorporates the main theme of that game.
Lastly, I don't know if anyone here ever played Phantasy Star Online? I like this one for how very turn-of-the-millennium it sounds.

Metroid Prime, meanwhile, has a dedicated tune not just for its title screen, but also for the immediately following menu. Both tracks flow into each other really well, and perfectly set the atmosphere for this game. I consider them 2 parts of the same whole. Creepy, ominous, oppressive and distinctly catchy with a nervous, organic underpinning. Exactly how Metroid should sound.

Bonus link: if you're a music nerd, you should consider checking out SynaMax on Youtube, who has found a lot of the synth patches used in Metroid Prime on machines like the Korg MS2000/MicroKorg, and software synths like old versions of Proteus.
The video I've linked includes some of the sounds used in the Title Screen music. Fittingly, one of the patches is called INVADERS.

Title Screen:

Menu Select:

pokepal148:
My intention was that everyone takes it on their own.

What makes this one really tricky is that there is alot of stuff that I was considering using but was hesitant to use because I might want to use something from that game or series a bit later on. I didn't want to play the Xenoblade card right off the bat for example when there are several other themes from that game that I want to use even more.

So I settled on the main theme for Super Mario World.

for BnM

It seems like a fitting way to start things off without potentially screwing myself over later on and it's something I have a similar level of affinity to compared to my other potential choices.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version